Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

George, I'm not really sure that Texas and Oklahoma moving from the Big 12 to the SEC has any affect whatsoever on the Pac-12 being the only P5 conference with teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

I believe the PAC12's existence in the Mountain and Pacific time zones reinforces my position that their games are largely irrelevant

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You sound like a person that would win the lottery and take the equal payments over 30 years because it's more money than the immediate payment.

I'm illustrating one way that leveraging an asset would work to get us out in 2022 man. I enjoy the part where you ignored the "there are a number of ways to do it." 

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Only a few t-shirt Aggie fans made a big deal about this. Our president and board were very classy and represented us all very well and accurately by saying we were fine with the merger and look forward to the future playing OU and that other school.

It's sip spin that we cared about this much at all. They were the ones who were upset and afraid, not us.

Was this a troll job or joke?  The biggest cry babies on texags at first had their official went to atm classification or whatever that is.  

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My rant was not about the truths of aggydom, it is about the bald-faced lies they have (and continue to) spread about UT’s behavior in the conference breakups & reshuffling. The SEC fans & officials can see through their claims about themselves, as they now have 10 years of first hand knowledge of their weird cult and “traditions”.

However, most of the media seem to be still carrying water for those lying goobers. I know some of them are just promoting clickbait, but there should be a few that are interested in real sports history, and not myths perpetuated by a cabal of paranoid little dicks.

Well, we're almost always spoken of as one of the most prestigious and best jobs in College Football, a traditional power, and that college football is better when Texas is good.

If people dislike us it's generally the same people who pull for underdogs which is fine. I do the same myself but without rancor. When we do get back near the summit, more will love us and more will say they hate us. I'm fine with that. It's human nature except for the Aggies who display pathology.

I'm irked like you are, but consider the source. I don't think "the media" is carrying A&M's water. They get nice press as an occasional upstart. They also get exposed for their cultural weirdness by their own crazed actions (which they're usually and strangely proud of).

It's easier to laugh this all off when we're winning which will be doing again hopefully soon.

1 minute ago, horngasm21 said:

kinda feels gross being temporary friends with OU. I can't wait for October.

I fully expect a long secsecsec chant from the 100K when we play. I also expect a ton of fuck the big 12 chant from the 100K. I prefer just the fuck the big 12 but we all know the secsecsec chant will start raining down at some point.

• Rage+1 1

So ESPN owes us for the LHN distribution through 2025 in this scenario. We can’t touch it in the SEC. So 2022-23 to end of 2025 is a minimum of 45M (not sure if the escalators change or how the kick to the academic side is accounted for) that we lose if we start in the 2022 season.

I would love to see someone run the NPV of what is left on the LHN pay schedule to really see how much we are walking away from..

My guess is that 45m number is what we should be willing to settle at to leave the B12. That way ESPN can pay it and then we are done

Edited by Laxtonto

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The only people running with the pod stuff are fans from what I can see.  No one with actual sources seems to be talking about pods.  I think it's going to be 2 divisions.

Are you implying that the SEC Network is a legitimate source for how the conference will be divided? Not being sarcastic, I honestly don’t know. But if the LHN was doing graphics about something related to Texas, I would assume it’s just for talking points rather than an indication of what the administration actually had in mind. Is the SEC Network traditionally a good indicator of what the administrations ultimately do?

ETA: I don't know why I can't quote this right, but I'm responding to @clapclapclap

Edited by SquishMitten

51 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

i think Texas and ou both pay their buyouts and then ESPN comes in and tells the remaining big 12 to let Texas and ou go to the SEC immediately and they will not lower the amount of money the big 12 tv rights. at least thats my take on it. i cant see either party wanting this to drag out until 2025,

Lol wut. There are so many things about this post that defy logic and reason. Why would they pay their buyouts AND ESPN pay the Big 12 full revenue. It’s one of the other. And it would make way more sense for ESPN to just fund the buyouts of $156 million than pay an extra $300 million per year for the next four years. 

Also, people keep mentioning ESPN paying the Big 12 for some reason. Fox has Tier 1 rights for the Big 12 and ESPN only has SEC tier 1 rights starting 2024, so ESPN does not have that much incentive to get UT and OU over to the SEC immediately (besides SEC network but that wouldn’t really make enough to be worth it).

The only way ESPN really factors in right now is the negotiation of buying out the LHN contract/merging with the SEC Network. 

52 minutes ago, BB65 said:

SO Texas and OU plan for 2025 then work to negotiate buyouts to begin earlier?

No. They’re going in 22, but can’t say it publicly. 

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You sound like a person that would win the lottery and take the equal payments over 30 years because it's more money than the immediate payment.

You might want to slow down questioning other people’s math if you think buying out a contract at $80 million when $150 million or more is owed over the next 10 years is akin to taking a lottery payout over 30 years. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I find the timeline fascinating. 

I have so many questions. Pre-leak (Houston Chronicle article) what was the timeline? How much was it sped up post-leak? Is it true OU approached the SEC first?

If most of MSM didn’t have the UT is an evil asshole slant the articles written about all this will be interesting reads. 

My dad will have been gone 16 years this October. I can’t imagine what our conversations would be like right now. We are joining the SEC, Dad. Wow. Man I miss him. 

The leak was baked into the timeline as soon as they had to tell aggy and Mizzou about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

So ESPN owes us for the LHN distribution through 2025 in this scenario. We can’t touch it in the SEC. So 2022-23 to end of 2025 is a minimum of 45M (not sure if the escalators change or how the kick to the academic side is accounted for) that we lose if we start in the 2022 season.

I would love to see someone run the NPV of what is left on the LHN pay schedule to really see how much we are walking away from..

My guess is that 45m number is what we should be willing to settle at to leave the B12. That way ESPN can pay it and then we are done

2025 is when the Big 12 contract ends. The current LHN contract runs through 2031.

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The leak was baked into the timeline as soon as they had to tell aggy and Mizzou about it.

Yeah, they didn't tell atm until they were ready for it to be leaked because both sides knew the aggies were going to lose their shit over it.  It was a done deal already at that point except for the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the aggies and the 8 dwarfs.

Edited by kevwun

Just now, Laxtonto said:

So we take the heat for “killing” the Big 12, have everyone bitch about how bad of a conference member we are and the pay for OU’s entry…. just to sabotage aggy?

And only for Alabama’s benefit and by their request, since we won’t be able to compete in the sec ever. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:
I'm fine with buying OU's way out of the Big 12. Their fans will hate it. 

This is what I've been trying to figure out.  The LHN transition always seemed to be a potential source for any buyout/settlement on the Texas side.  But couldn't figure it out for OU.  That would be pretty great irony if "big bad selfish and greedy Texas" shared with their greatest rival in order for us to both GTFO of this shit conference.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Is there an upside about delaying at least until 2023 on the football side of the coin?

Again, devils argument could be made it would give the Horns some time to get  ready for the what the SEC and media likes to think is the toughest schedules in all of football mankind that each SEC team plays every season.    A year three under Sarks system with most of his recruits on the field in the best case scenario might put  the idiots mainly from A&M, but a few other SEC schools who think the Horns will be no better than Vandy their first year in the SEC in their place .  If we run through the BIG12, beat OU sux a couple of times and kick tail at least in a top tier bowl games or even make the playoff, that should shut up these fools real quick once the 2023 season comes around.

I don't want to speculate on the worse case.....   Too much of that we actually saw in real time under Tom and Charlie and going into a chapter three of this is gut kicker.

Yeah. Big 12 refs have always been very fair to us. I'm sure that will continue even though we're likely putting them out of a job and/or lowering their salaries. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I find the timeline fascinating. 

I have so many questions. Pre-leak (Houston Chronicle article) what was the timeline? How much was it sped up post-leak? Is it true OU approached the SEC first?

If most of MSM didn’t have the UT is an evil asshole slant the articles written about all this will be interesting reads. 

My dad will have been gone 16 years this October. I can’t imagine what our conversations would be like right now. We are joining the SEC, Dad. Wow. Man I miss him. 

I think I heard someone say we are now on the actual timeline. The letter that went out yesterday was scheduled for yesterday. That could be completely wrong.

My dad was a Seminole fan, but he would have loved talking about this. Gone 9 years, and I miss him daily too.

• Hook 'Em 1