Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Let's suppose that UT pays the buyout and bails after this season.  The Big12 retains the rights through 2025 under the GOR, but UT would be playing in the SEC whose rights are held by CBS.  So who gets paid for UT's SEC conference games?  This is the result I want.  Mass confusion on every level.

27 minutes ago, demos said:

Ok. Sure looch.

Lolwut?  No one gave half a shit when aggy left.  We were more upset about losing Nebraska and Missouri, because they'd been, you know, relevant.

I've said this a million times: aggy is Texas Tech with a god complex.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Let's suppose that UT pays the buyout and bails after this season.  The Big12 retains the rights through 2025 under the GOR, but UT would be playing in the SEC whose rights are held by CBS.  So who gets paid for UT's SEC conference games?  This is the result I want.  Mass confusion on every level.

If that happens I'm sure the SEC will change their bylaws to "new members get $1 per year in revenue share till 2025"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Translation: I am out of a job soon.

Bowlsby sucks at his job.  

So he will be the next NCAA President.   And then hopefully that blows up under his watch too. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Translation: I am out of a job soon.

No Bob.  Filing a form does not verify that.  It verifies a form was filed.  Also there is no legal obligation to what one contemplates.  How does one even monitor that.  Planning for months you say?  Prove it.  

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't see any reason for the remaining 8 to give up their $20 million each. Getting it now is their counteroffer to giving up the Texas and OU GOR in order to expedite things.

The game of musical conference chairs has started. While $20 million is nice - being on the outside when the music stops is worth way more than $20 million.  How much of a game of chicken are the 8 willing to play?  

36 minutes ago, demos said:

I'm sipping coffee and scrolling this thread, with ESPN on in the background.  ESPN just did a segment with Finebaum (I know, I know) and Dinich, and they nodded their heads in agreement as the host said, "We may remember this as the biggest day in the history of college football,"  and went on to say how OU and Texas joining the SEC was going to cause massive and permanent realignments.  I think there was a chyron that made the same statement.

I mean... try to reconcile that actual, real-time national ESPN reaction to Liucci's contemporaneous claim that Aggie going to the SEC "elicited the same coverage."  No, it fucking didn't.  He's just hilariously and objectively wrong to claim that Aggie got the same coverage.  

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My boss is a Nebraska grad and he opened our staff meeting with "Looks like Texas is blowing up a conference for the 3rd time." 

The two Texas Exs just bit our tongues and smiled.   The two Sooners were both like who gives a fuck.  The one OSU grad was panicking so I said they'll easily land in a big 4 once the chips all fall.   The Nevada grad was like "what are guys talking about?"

Just tell him for our next trick Texas will start killing conferences they don’t even belong to.  Enjoy.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, deech said:

The game of musical conference chairs has started. While $20 million is nice - being on the outside when the music stops is worth way more than $20 million.  How much of a game of chicken are the 8 willing to play?  

Would they risk losing good players on their rosters, the transfer market and recruits while enabling neg recruiting points for a super short term monetary fix?  If they don't know how this will work out for them then there needs to be mass firings.  All of this shows they aren't leading anything.  

54 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

"Fisher has lived this and thrived. He dominated both Florida and Miami while constructing a monster in Tallahassee and I can assure you he's looking at what he's already assembled in Aggieland and not worried in the slightest about playing the Sooners or Longhorns. Neither are his players. In fact, it's the opposite, as the Ags are counting the days until the Big 12 defectors arrive in the SEC."

I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't Jimbo inherit a monster in Tallahassee that Bobby Bowden had spent decades building, then coasted on that success for a couple years, before auguring it into the ground before bolting for aggy?  Is that about right?

Yeah, it's not like records are hard to find and their comments can't be refuted.

The Seminoles were a bit of a mess at the end of Bowden's tenure but, they still had winning records and were going to bowl games, every since since the 1982 season.

In his first three seasons at FSU Jumbo averaged 3.3 losses per season. In his final three he averaged 4 losses per season and quit on the team before the 2017 season was concluded. So he is not this master builder of programs. Now, his wife (or Ex, I don't care) may be a fine masturbator of programs.

21 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Lolwut?  No one gave half a shit when aggy left.  We were more upset about losing Nebraska and Missouri, because they'd been, you know, relevant.

I've said this a million times: aggy is Texas Tech with a god complex.  

They also broke their ‘gentleman’s agreement’ to stick with Baylor and UT and paved the way for us to say “see ya’ at some other time without dragging BU along

so, thanks for that aggy

19 minutes ago, deech said:

All true, but it’s only a game of chicken if they have other Power conference options. For the ones that don’t, trying to keep the Big 12 together, accepting the buyout money and adding some schools to make the Big 12 a super G5 is likely their best option. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Would they risk losing good players on their rosters, the transfer market and recruits while enabling neg recruiting points for a super short term monetary fix?  If they don't know how this will work out for them then there needs to be mass firings.  All of this shows they aren't leading anything.  

The portal is an interesting new wrinkle in this round of realignment.  It won’t be kind to those whose future is murky.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Yeah. Big 12 refs have always been very fair to us. I'm sure that will continue even though we're likely putting them out of a job and/or lowering their salaries. 

Yep... Looking forward to throwing shoes, bottles,  and food at my TV more this season than ever. Wouldn't shock me if the BIg 12 try to find the 2015 Okie State crew and tried to put  them back together again.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

With divisions and the possibility of also having a permanent cross-division rival, even a 9 game conference schedule would mean it would take 14 years to play every other conference opponent both home and away.

If it were split east/west, would a permanent cross-division rival be necessary?  It seems most of the big rivalries would be preserved within the divisions (UT/OU, UT/A&M, UT/ARK, UGA/UF, UGA/UTenn, Bama/AU, Ole Miss/MSU, what ones am I missing?)

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s like opposite week or we are in some upside down universe. Repping Razorbacks. Complimenting OU. Joining SEC. The LHN actually is turning out to be a valuable asset. A big constant: aggy. Still showing their “work.” 

Yeah it kind of makes you want to take a long hot shower and scrub yourself with a wire brush to get the yuck off.

• Haha 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

If it were split east/west, would a permanent cross-division rival be necessary?  It seems most of the big rivalries would be preserved within the divisions (UT/OU, UT/A&M, UT/ARK, UGA/UF, UGA/UTenn, Bama/AU, Ole Miss/MSU, what ones am I missing?)

No, they'll ditch those, go to east/west divisions, and go to 10 conference games.

2 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

Its better to just discover greatness than to have greatness explained to you.

I remember where I was when I saw my first Thujone Shaggy masterpiece.  I was at work and people were coming to my cube asking if something was wrong and why was I crying.  All I could do was half heartedly wavy my hand at my computer screen but I dont think anyone understood what I was trying to do.  Just as well, I probably would've been fired if they had

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's the biggest head scratcher to me in everything we've heard about divisions. Almost all of the traditional rivalries exist with the move, I don't know why they'd preserve the cross division rivalry in favor of rotating games more frequently. LSU and Florida makes sense, but I've heard mixed reviews from their fanbases on that game. 

4 minutes ago, Yuk said:

No, they'll ditch those, go to east/west divisions, and go to 10 conference games.

Oh, will they now? Well if you say so. 

• Hook 'Em 1