Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Someone refresh me: was everyone really angry at A&M when they left the Big 12? I remember a lot of shit talk, poking fun, but not a whole lot of "Wahhhhhh you selfish bastards!" Seems like some conveniently hard to disprove talking point that's been rolled out by the aggy media.

It was mainly Baylor.  In hindsight, they were probably in the middle of planning what they were going to do in terms of stadium and all that at the time.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Someone somewhere around here said they wished they could remember how all this started. Here's the first time I wrote about the BS spewing from our rivals:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2011/09/22/realignmentality

Good writeup except that you have the timing on the Pac 16 wrong.  Texas starting exploring the Pac 16 idea after the Big 10 announced it was expanding and Mizzou lifted its skirt.  When Nebraska president asked the Texas president about Pac 16 rumors, the Texas president told him the truth.  That is when Nebraska tried to get one of the Big 10 slots (according to the Nebraska president's account, who also said he and the UT president had a great relationship).

20 minutes ago, JJxvi said:

Tom Herman had a better record in his four years at Texas than Bobby Bowden's last 4 years at FSU.  I'm guessing that if Sark wins a national Title in his 4th season at Texas like Fisher did at FSU, then it wont be Herman getting the credit for it.

Well, if Sark wins a title in his 4th year, that will be roughly 15 years after Mack's departure. That's a bit different than 4 years post-Bowden.

Someone refresh me: was everyone really this angry at A&M when they left the Big 12? I remember a lot of shit talk, poking fun, but not a whole lot of "Wahhhhhh you selfish bastards!" Seems like some conveniently hard to disprove talking point that's been rolled out by the aggy media today.
Some were pissed that Aggie opened Texas up to $EC recruiting. Most were glad to be rid of them, however.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Someone refresh me: was everyone really this angry at A&M when they left the Big 12? I remember a lot of shit talk, poking fun, but not a whole lot of "Wahhhhhh you selfish bastards!" Seems like some conveniently hard to disprove talking point that's been rolled out by the aggy media today.

I don't remember anybody being angry. At least around these parts, we were all pretty damn happy about it. We also thought it was absolutely hilarious and stupid. Taking their ball and going home was the main sentiment, and we were laughing about them thinking they were somehow going to become a powerhouse just by joining the SEC. I think Baylor threw a fit and maybe filed something in the legislature, but I don't remember the details of whether it was even remotely legitimate or just for show. I think the Big 12 at least made an attempt to keep them around, but there weren't really any concessions made to entice them into staying. In short, nobody of importance gave a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Some were pissed that Aggie opened Texas up to $EC recruiting. Most were glad to be rid of them, however.

we also scoffed at the notion the move was in their long-term best interests. 

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So, the B12 could withhold the prior year's distribution, and then sue for part of that SEC revenue distribution from the current year. But in reality, it never gets that far.  Instead, it's just a negotiated settlement that will no doubt end up lower than the max.  Probably substantially lower. 

I believe aggy and mizzery paid 1/3 of the buyout fee, but I don't care enough to look it up.

• Haha 1

I was happy to see A&M leave the Big 12. 

For me the only negative with joining the SEC is re-establishing communication with A&M. We'll continue to whoop their ass, but they are just an embarrassment to the state and I enjoyed the almost decade of rarely thinking about them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It should for sure be louder than your mom when I fucked her last night when I got the call Texas is in the sec for sure. I really laid into her too, I love me some horns.

Hmmm, it may be subtle, but I do believe there's a joke about my mom somewhere in your reply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It will be divisions but pods would be better with rotating pairings to form temporary divisions for two seasons at a time. That way you would play everyone both home and away at least every six years.

With divisions and the possibility of also having a permanent cross-division rival, even a 9 game conference schedule would mean it would take 14 years to play every other conference opponent both home and away.

No permanent crossover and you get everyone home and away over 8 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

UT President, soon to be the head of the SEC Board, is trying to broker a deal to form a new collegiate athletics governing body. 

He’s flying up there to see how much physical office space they have and what it would take to relocate them to Dallas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

No permanent crossover and you get everyone home and away over 8 years.

Yes that would work. And to be honest if that's the way they do it then I think they should split the series. So for example Texas/Alabama could be

Texas @ Alabama 2022
Alabama @ Texas 2026
Texas @ Alabama 2030
Alabama @ Texas 2034

And so on. That would give players the chance to play every other team in the conference in their 4 years of eligibility.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I'd probably rather see every out-of-division team scheduled once every 4 years, home and away.  That ties the two sides together.  Playing 'bama (for instance) home and away in year 1 and 2 and then not playing them again until year 9 and 10 (outside of any title game meetings) would suck.  I'd rather that be years 1, 5, 9, and 13.

Truthfully, trying to map a smaller 8-10 team conference mentality on a 2-division 16-team conference just doesn't really work.  Maybe it's OK that the 2 divisions don't really see each other that much.

EDIT:  pretty much what @Huckleberry just said, but 2 seconds before I did.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Dumb question amnesty: Who determines what constitutes a P5 conference? Is that an official NCAA designation or something that just sort of came about in the media and general lexicon?

P5 (power 5) is a media creation.  A5 (autonomous 5) is an actual NCAA category.  They get to make certain rules independent of the NCAA.  The autonomous 5 are the ACC, $EC, B$G 10+4, Pac 12 and Big 12-2-2+2-2.

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

UT destroying the SWC is so untrue and I have yet to hear Aggies take on how UT destroyed that conference. 

that's the one that gets me.  who in their right fucking mind would think that an 8 team conference with all 8 members in the same fucking state would work long-term.  Texas did aggy a favor by getting them out of that conference and into a competitive conference with a bigger footprint.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

We were pissed because when Mizzou started flirting with the Big 10, we arranged a deal with the Pac 10 that included aggy but aggy blew up the deal at the last minute. Nebraska took the Big 10 slot that Mizzou wanted. Colorado went to the Pac 10. All the remaining Big 12 schools agreed to commit to the BIg 12. The Big 12 even offered an extra share of revenue to UT, OU, and aggy to remain in the conference. UT and OU declined, aggy took it. aggy then secretly negotiated with SEC to join them.

In all the realignment escapades, we tried to include aggy. But they fucked up our chance to leave while making sure they had a way out.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

So ESPN owes us for the LHN distribution through 2025 in this scenario. We can’t touch it in the SEC. So 2022-23 to end of 2025 is a minimum of 45M (not sure if the escalators change or how the kick to the academic side is accounted for) that we lose if we start in the 2022 season.

I would love to see someone run the NPV of what is left on the LHN pay schedule to really see how much we are walking away from..

My guess is that 45m number is what we should be willing to settle at to leave the B12. That way ESPN can pay it and then we are done

The last 10 years are $169 million.  It started at $10,980,000 and escalated 3% per year.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would it be the worst thing in the world for both sides of the stadium to chant sec together one time as a fuck your to the other big 12 members who run their mouths constantly?

Yes.  We aren't aggy.  We aren't Ole Miss.

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Now hold on one moment.... While am very disappointed in the twins decision, I did understand it.. We are now in a very very different position. 

I predict the following - 

1) Texas to play in SEC for 2022

2) Brocks redshirt this season

2) Brocks transfer to Texas

3) Profit

Oh and we get Manning to boot. 

I predict the following:

1. Texas plays in the SEC in 2022
  2. Brocks find Alabama tougher than their private school league
  3. Brocks want to transfer to Texas, but get turned down
  4. Brocks end up at SMU
  5. Profit
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I predict the following:

1. Texas plays in the SEC in 2022
  2. Brocks find Alabama tougher than their private school league
  3. Brocks want to transfer to Texas, but get turned down
  4. Brocks end up at SMU
  5. Profit

Isn’t one of the Brocks already on the roster as a preferred walk-on? We like him at least, right?

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, I see the disconnect. Paying the buyout now versus on 6/30/2023. If a team withdraws from the Big 12 they owe the buyout, but the withdrawal date is the first June 30th that's at least 18 months after they declaration of withdrawal. So the remaining teams have two main options:

1. Try to stick it out as a conference. Take the $160M on 6/30/2023. Hold on to Texas and OU's GOR until 7/1/2025. Then get absolutely dick from their rights after that and try to make that money work for the rest of their program's lives.
  2. Take the $160M ASAP. Relinquish Texas and OU's GOR. Build a new good conference or find other homes. Negotiate decent TV rights.

I mean theoretically they could go with #1, and some of them might be dumb enough to do it. But I doubt that happens.

Seems clear that Tech and Kansas have smart presidents.  Iowa St. is playing his cards close to his vest.  Okie St.'s president is dumb.  TCU, Baylor, WVU and KSU haven't said anything that I've seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, demos said:

Ok. Sure looch.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new narrative: Texas is whining, not A&M. Texas A&M did this first with the same impact if not greater impact. Smug self deception and lying. Have you seen our honor code? It's one of our traditions! WHOOP!

In short: you didn't see what you saw. We're the real university of Texas: That's another tradition just like not caring about tu.

Edited by RomaVicta
Double subject nouns
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the new narrative: Texas is whining, not A&M. Texas A&M did this first with the same impact if not greater impact. Smug self deception and lying. Have you seen our honor code? It's one of our traditions! WHOOP!

In short: you didn't see what you saw. We're the real university of Texas: It's That's another tradition just like not caring about tu.

It's called gaslighting, and it's America's favorite sport.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

Seems clear that Tech and Kansas have smart presidents.  Iowa St. is playing his cards close to his vest.  Okie St.'s president is dumb.  TCU, Baylor, WVU and KSU haven't said anything that I've seen.

WVU's AD released one: https://wvusports.com/news/2021/7/26/general-statement-from-wvu-director-of-athletics-shane-lyons.aspx

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

that's the one that gets me.  who in their right fucking mind would think that an 8 team conference with all 8 members in the same fucking state would work long-term.  Texas did aggy a favor by getting them out of that conference and into a competitive conference with a bigger footprint.

The SWC died because it was based on previous economic sports realities. Media contracts didn't make much difference. School proximity was a big deal. Two or three teams could claim national championships in any given year. 

In the sixties, it was great for the Longhorns, cause they had lots more funding and students than anyone else in the conference. They could run the conference pretty easily, space out a couple of marquee out of conference games, and grab a natty. World changed. TV footprint was the reality of the 90s-00s. Texas saw the change and got the B12 off the ground. The other schools could have told Texas to FOAD and kept the SWC together without the Horns, but they knew nobody else in the conference would bring in TV contracts. 

I get the money aspect of it, but some of these schools are getting more embarrassing that when I showed up drunk at my ex-girlfriend's house at 2 AM. None of the other B12 schools, no matter how successful, are going to expand interest beyond their alumni and region. 

The new reality is that you have to bring the eyeballs with you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Lolwut?  No one gave half a shit when aggy left.  We were more upset about losing Nebraska and Missouri, because they'd been, you know, relevant.

I've said this a million times: aggy is Texas Tech with a god complex.  

That's not fair to Texas Tech.  Over the last 10 years of the 12 team Big 12 Tech was tied for 3rd with Nebraska at 47-33 in conference games.  aggy was 8th behind Mizzou, Okie St. and CU.

Over all 15 years it was:

Texas 90-30

OU 86-34

Nebraska 81-39

Tech 69-51

Snyderland 69-51

aggy 64-56

Colorado 60-60

Mizzou 58-62

Okie St. 55-65

KU 36-84

ISU 34-86

BU 18-102

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

None of that forgives the piece of shit behavior by Blake Brockermeyer throughout the entire process, as well as his childrens glee in talking shit about Texas and actively recruiting Jalen Milroe and others away from Texas. I'll take his kid(s) in the portal if it makes good sense and they can still also get fucked. 

He Gets It Kieran Culkin GIF by SuccessionHBO

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

That's not fair to Texas Tech.  Over the last 10 years of the 12 team Big 12 Tech was tied for 3rd with Nebraska at 47-33 in conference games.  aggy was 8th behind Mizzou, Okie St. and CU.

Over all 15 years it was:

Texas 90-30

OU 86-34

Nebraska 81-39

Tech 69-51

Snyderland 69-51

aggy 64-56

Colorado 60-60

Mizzou 58-62

Okie St. 55-65

KU 36-84

ISU 34-86

BU 18-102

Been a long time since Nebraska sniffed that record.

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

In short: you didn't see what you saw. We're the real university of Texas: It's That's another tradition just like not caring about tu.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

The most common phrase was "No take backs!!"

• Hook 'Em 2