Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

26 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Obligatory fuck Bob Stoops, but he had an opinion piece published by The Oklahoman this afternoon.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/opinion/2021/07/27/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sec-decision-leave-big-12-southeastern-conference/5390626001/

There’s been extensive discussion in the state of Oklahoma about OU and Texas moving from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference. I believe this is a good and necessary move for the future of our school and football program. I disagree with any claims asserted that OU’s decision is “to the detriment of the State of Oklahoma,” and that OU made it without “engagement and transparency.”

Let’s set the record straight: OU’s move to the SEC is what’s best for Oklahoma. The reality is that conferences are now more important than ever and, with limited spots, the strongest conferences would not accept OU if we were to require OSU to join as well. By joining the SEC, we ensure the state’s flagship university will be represented nationally while protecting our rich football history for many years to come. To move forward in any other manner would be to the detriment of OU and the state of Oklahoma.

The advantages are many — greater financial opportunities, better exposure, stronger recruiting and increased competition. Playing in front of full, huge stadiums will be attractive to our players, recruits, and our supportive fans. OU will be competing at the highest level of college football, which is exactly where we should be. I can’t wait for SEC programs to face our teams and our fans — I think both are the best in the country.

The prospect of moving to the SEC also excites me for our fans. Not only will the move energize our fanbase and provide great trips for road games to new venues, but the city of Norman stands to win as well. SEC fans loyally travel with their teams. Many fans from the SEC have never been to Norman and they’ll be eager to make the trip and experience an OU football weekend. Tickets will be in high demand and OU, Norman, and all of Oklahoma will reap the benefits.

Change is always hard. Moving to a more competitive league is unnerving to some. OU and OSU have a history of being in the same conference — I understand that. Of course, OU and OSU should work together when they can for the betterment of our state, but there are times when that is not possible (I don’t recall sharing my game plan with Coach Gundy every year). The reality is, in today’s world, conference realignment doesn’t allow for it.

With this move, OU is taking control of its own destiny. And all Oklahomans — no matter who they root for — can trust that when the state’s flagship university makes a decision, it always puts Oklahoma’s interests first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is how you address the little brother. "We are the Flagship and you are not so what we do is what is best for the state."

We should put out a statement like this.

Anyone worried this will give more of home field advantage to aggies?  Most loud college kids and alumni that travel have time and budgetary constraints.  And they will face choices every year.

On one hand, travel to a town that has an airport, possibly get laid by hot women and worst case scenario, you drink a shitload on a beautiful lake?

On the other, fly to one city, rent a car to drive to another city, get lost and believe for one second Google sent you to a large prison complex, with the worst case being you passionately French kiss a corps member who is from a small town in Texas but hasn't told anyone their secret?

Advantage aggy.  They play the long game, gotta give it to them.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My boss is a Nebraska grad and he opened our staff meeting with "Looks like Texas is blowing up a conference for the 3rd time." 

The two Texas Exs just bit our tongues and smiled.   The two Sooners were both like who gives a fuck.  The one OSU grad was panicking so I said they'll easily land in a big 4 once the chips all fall.   The Nevada grad was like "what are guys talking about?"

SWC, Big XII, and ???

Reminds me of an old joke: the "N" on the Nebraska players' football helmets stands for "Nowledge."

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean the thing is LITERALLY EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD HAS BEEN LAUGHING AT THEM FOR 5 STRAIGHT DAYS lol

their gaslighting has no gas 

Wrong.  They have plenty of gas but no light.

9 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
6 hours ago, kevwun said:
The only people running with the pod stuff are fans from what I can see.  No one with actual sources seems to be talking about pods.  I think it's going to be 2 divisions.

SECN posted some hypothetical pods

How did the term 'pods' come about?  I keep hearing it.  Why not East and West and then divisions?

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So are realignment talks going to be going away?

no, realignment talk is co-eternal.  realignment talk is uncreated and complete.  we are merely experiencing the unveiling of the completed realignment talk as mere mortals experience all things.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This is the aggyest post I've ever read from a gooner. * paid, you moron

So confused by this guys post. Is he saying Texas is paying both teams $75 million fee to leave? So Texas is paying $150 million or just their own $75 million? 

have they not been reading how every tweet is about Texas and literally nothing about ou? Paul finebaum even said “getting Texas is a whole other entity”. They’ve been quiet up to this point but here we go.

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

That's our money.

Well I'd imagine that us cancelling the LHN, a condition to move to the SEC, would normally void any future payments from ESPN. But in this case, ESPN wins from the move so they're going to basically pay anyway despite LHN going away.

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

How did the term 'pods' come about?  I keep hearing it.  Why not East and West and then divisions?

Maybe it's just the already established language of college football. You have Conferences, then divisions of that conference.

Maybe Conference --> regions --> divisions could work, but really who cares. Pod works.

Edited by UncleBuck

42 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Coincidentally, aggy's best season in the vaunted SEC, 2012, was their first with Johnny 8-Ball and players recruited to compete and win the Big 12.

Ya not true.   But that team also had four future first round draft picks on the O-Line, plus other OL who made it to the league. You have four first round draft picks on your O-line right now?

Edited by MAROON
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, MAROON said:

Ya not true.   But that team also had four first round draft picks on the O-Line.  You have four first round draft picks on your O-line right now?

It is true. And your response is the entire point. The best OL A&M has had in the SEC was recruited to the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, MAROON said:

It’s was not our best season in the SEC

So your best season in the SEC peaked with escaping an 8-4 team, getting buttfucked by Bama, and beating a depleted Mack Brown-coached basketball school's team?  Be glad you had the other season.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, AbraCadabra said:

oj simpson make GIF

Robert Shapiro and Orenthal are the only 2 people of that legal "dream team" in that clip still alive. Bailey and Cochran (shown), and Robert Kardashian (not shown) have since passed.  Also not shown, Dershowitz, Scheck, and Douglas are still around, too.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes that would work. And to be honest if that's the way they do it then I think they should split the series. So for example Texas/Alabama could be

Texas @ Alabama 2022
Alabama @ Texas 2026
Texas @ Alabama 2030
Alabama @ Texas 2034

And so on. That would give players the chance to play every other team in the conference in their 4 years of eligibility.

Not sure about this...   I kind of like they ability to avenge a loss the following year.  Especially if you get to do it on your home turf although their is some satisfaction doing it on their turf.   The Underclassmen would never get a shot in your scenario unless they were Red Shirts.

I do think the way the current SEC scheduling method is set up is horse shit.  Off the top of my head it took UGA and aggy eight years to finally play each other.  That's a crock only because I think aggy played another SEC school three times.  

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you know who has "t-shirt fans"?  teams that are constantly winning. 

you can't argue we have the most t-shirt fans in college football then turn around and call us irrelevant for over a decade.  pick a fucking lane, aggy.

Damn….now you’ve done it….gonna have to go out and buy some more Horn t-shirts…..just for the fun of it…Hope the Co-op doesn’t sell a bunch of burnt orange t-shirts with those ugly secsec patches on them….won’t sell.

14 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

What happens if OU cant buyout the GOR? Have heard times are tough in Norman. 

I think the plan is we front them the money so we both can leave in 2022. Then we both get the greater SEC share quicker and OU can pay us out of the difference between the big 12 share and SEC one for however long it takes. That is what I'd propose if I were UT brass. We want out the quicker the better so the sooners being poor shouldn't hold us back.

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This is the aggyest post I've ever read from a gooner. * paid, you moron

Had to use Bama LSU as a rival reference because ATM continually dodges the only rival they've ever had.

The honest truth is no team wants to align themselves with such an awkward fanbase enough to establish and maintain a rivalry.  

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cool, thanks, everyone was really curious about that factoid. We really appreciate the entirely unrequested non-sequitur about shit related neither to football, realignment, or really anything. Did you know the human head weighs eight pounds?

You are a very mean and angry fella sometimes. Just hurtful.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is one of the biggest bullshit myths around.  Spend a few days in East Texas and you'll see a shitload of maroon shirts worn by people who have never set foot in a college classroom.  A lot of Longhorn fans and a lot of aggy fans never went to those respective schools.  I'm sure you can say that about a good number of Alabama and Auburn fans.  And LSU fans.  "T-shirt" fans are not unique to Texas. 

LSU is very much as described.   Pretty much every Cajun I know loves LSU despite them being a grad of another school in that state.  They will wear LSU gear to their own school's football games.    And yea aggy too in this part of the state thanks to its Ag and Engineering tie I know several who went to school at one of their systems schools who are aggy to the core to the point you assume wrong they went to Collie Station and they tell you they went to Kingsville, Tarleton, West Texas,  etc when you ask them

42 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
6 hours ago, kevwun said:
The only people running with the pod stuff are fans from what I can see.  No one with actual sources seems to be talking about pods.  I think it's going to be 2 divisions.

SECN posted some hypothetical pods

And you think that whatever the redneck equivalent of Lowell Galindo dreamed up is relevant?

54 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is one of the biggest bullshit myths around.  Spend a few days in East Texas and you'll see a shitload of maroon shirts worn by people who have never set foot in a college classroom.  A lot of Longhorn fans and a lot of aggy fans never went to those respective schools.  I'm sure you can say that about a good number of Alabama and Auburn fans.  And LSU fans.  "T-shirt" fans are not unique to Texas. 

You see a lot of A&M fans around the El Campo/Wharton/Ganado areas. Normally people who are friends with farmers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem with ironically chanting "SEC!" is that it will just come across as sincere.

So we shouldn't do it.

I’m cool with us doing it when we beat the fuck out of aggy. Or we can go throwback with “pooooor agggy”. Actually yeah poor aggy works better. Never mind 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

This.  We were pissed at the BS aggy spewed as they ran for the door, but we didn't miss them one bit once they were gone.

Yeah but kicking their ass in postseason baseball in 2014 and 2018 was fucking awesome. Wish they didn’t suck so bad last spring. Would’ve been nice to have them as a 3 seed and kick the fuck out of em again 

Edited by Fletch