Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I liked the Big 12 as it could have been because I prefer regional rivalries and then those champions meeting in a more robust playoff system. But that's not reality so it's not like I sit around worrying about it. My perfect world would be eight 10-team regional conferences of the 80 most valuable programs. Champions and 4 or 8 at-larges get into the playoffs. I mean somebody has to be the doormat in each conference and we need weaker conference to supply OOC games. If the top class breaks completely away from the lower class I guess they could still schedule the lower division but some alumni groups are going to be upset about the frequent 3-9 records the new world brings.

The common sense in this post stands out like a sore thumb in a world of unbridled stupidity. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Droopy said:

My wife's boss is an Oklahoma State grad for both his Bachelors and Masters degrees, but wears nothing but OU clothes/hats/etc... He's explained how it works, but I cannot for the life of me understand his logic at all behind his loyalty (or lack there of). 

That is very strange.    I have known folks who went undergrad at one school and then Grad or Whatever Professional Degree at another  and have more of an affiliation  or affection with the later.    Even a few who went to aggy for undergrad and UT for Grad or Med/Pharmacy/ Law  School.  You would never know they were aggy if they didn't tell you or see their undergrad diploma on the wall. Any self respecting person who went to UT for both undergrad and grad school would need to have their heads examined if they joined the cult of aggy, IMO.  I don't care if they were trying to impress and keep a lady happy  if she is aggy.    I'd go to a game with her, but never in the world would I wear aggy shit to make myself feel like I'm part of the cult for one day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

What an embarrassment this whole thing is. The state of Texas got played like a fiddle by Bama and a northeastern sports broadcasting company.

Power conference based in Texas? Nope

Texas recruits leaving the state in droves? Yep

Any control over what is happening? Nope

Texas has been raped, pillaged and burned to the ground.  45EBA2F2-1AE4-49D8-911A-35FFA4075B7D.gif.cc3233c154de46b4daa0b12e2819e32a.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

LSU is very much as described.   Pretty much every Cajun I know loves LSU despite them being a grad of another school in that state.  They will wear LSU gear to their own school's football games.    And yea aggy too in this part of the state thanks to its Ag and Engineering tie I know several who went to school at one of their systems schools who are aggy to the core to the point you assume wrong they went to Collie Station and they tell you they went to Kingsville, Tarleton, West Texas,  etc when you ask them

Had a friend who went to La. Tech who was upset that the people would wear LSU gear to Tech games and then leave at halftime to go watch the LSU game.

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'd cry too if your school has been relegated back to the MWC or AAU. Enjoy having Fatterson as your coach you miserable bitch.

I'm just stating what happened and calling it what it is.  Not sure why you are so salty towards TCU about it. 

• Fuck You 25

I watch a lot of SEC Network, good luck finding another outlet talking college football in June. The production value is first rate. Every football, basketball, and baseball game has plenty of camera coverage with professional, knowledge commenters. 

SEC Films documentaries are also first class. SECN is what a network looks like with full ESPN backing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

And you think that whatever the redneck equivalent of Lowell Galindo dreamed up is relevant?

Oh shit!

Of all the things that make this a great move, having Lowell Galindo collect unemployment wasn’t something I had contemplated. 

Sign me the fuck up!

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

What an embarrassment this whole thing is. The state of Texas got played like a fiddle by Bama and a northeastern sports broadcasting company.

Texas has been raped, pillaged and burned to the ground.  

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Cool story bro!   Hope you enjoy your road trips to Boise State .

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

It Just Means More at 1:43 of her rant

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get that video to play.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I liked the Big 12 as it could have been because I prefer regional rivalries and then those champions meeting in a more robust playoff system. But that's not reality so it's not like I sit around worrying about it. My perfect world would be eight 10-team regional conferences of the 80 most valuable programs. Champions and 4 or 8 at-larges get into the playoffs. I mean somebody has to be the doormat in each conference and we need weaker conference to supply OOC games. If the top class breaks completely away from the lower class I guess they could still schedule the lower division but some alumni groups are going to be upset about the frequent 3-9 records the new world brings.

I guess this thread is still good for fantasies, which this post is. That old Big 12 might have stayed okay, but it still produced shit like a 7-4 CU playing a 10-1 OU in the CCG. Plenty of trash like that. 80 teams left the building way the fuck back in the rearview.

I've never been a fan of the premise that there needs to some level of parity beyond like 65 teams. Carving down to that makes sense and then the other decent 60-80 teams can find their way into conferences and form a playoff, while playing money games with the 65 teams in the non-con. That wouldn't be a bad deal for anyone, once in place. I guess if it's whittled to 45-50 teams, I could wrap my head around that too. 

I think that's where things head over the next 10 years. I think FCS football will move to the spring and actually become a decent moneymaking endeavor because of viewership, provided they do it right.

13 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Kliff Kingsbury Morphs Into Charlie Weis [GIF]

12 minutes ago, maninblack said:

This didn't do it for you?

kliff-kingsbury-charlie-weis-morphgif.we

@TKthunder2's avatar here is what reminded me of all of the shitty and embarrassing Big 12 commercials. The ones from this past season might actually be the worst.

8 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Dude, just tell us thanks for the last decade, revel in getting to exploit the worst 10 (11) year cycle ever of Texas football, send Chuckles Strong some flowers and an I Miss You card, get yourself a nice big bowl of ice cream, then get yourself in front of a tv and turn on The Notebook. Have yourself a good long cry. You'll feel better tomorrow and no one here will feel any differently about getting to put you and yours behind us. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That is very strange.    I have known folks who went undergrad at one school and then Grad or Whatever Professional Degree at another  and have more of an affiliation  or affection with the later.    Even a few who went to aggy for undergrad and UT for Grad or Med/Pharmacy/ Law  School.  You would never know they were aggy if they didn't tell you or see their undergrad diploma on the wall. Any self respecting person who went to UT for both undergrad and grad school would need to have their heads examined if they joined the cult of aggy, IMO.  I don't care if they were trying to impress and keep a lady happy  if she is aggy.    I'd go to a game with her, but never in the world would I wear aggy shit to make myself feel like I'm part of the cult for one day.  

This.  Undergrad at OU (say what you will).  Master's at OSU (again, say what you will, needed it close with some in-person requirements), and now a PhD student at OSU (again, say what you will).  

Aside from the degree in the frame on the wall, and a linkdn line, you wouldn't know about my choice of graduate program.

Edited by TeeDubya

22 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

You Dont Say Stand Up GIF

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It would be nice if the powers were spread around.  When the Big 12 was formed, NU and CU were national powers.  OU and UT were down, but on the way back up.  KSU had Bill Snyder.  aggy, MU, Tech and OSU could give teams fits. Baylor was worse than Kansas.  Those were the days!

Then NU and CU sunk and left.  aggy and MU left.  TCU doesn't make up for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Cool story bro!   Hope you enjoy your road trips to Boise State .

I hear good things about Boise and have actually been curious to go check it out. Mississippi and Alabama not so much. 

Oh man I love Eddie Murphy, Did you see Coming to America 2? Hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 13

38 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. & wtf is the logic of the Texas Lege or any other Texas elected official looking to bar Texas from leaving the Big 12? It's not as if the Big 12 is a Texas conference or the State of Texas has some kind of vested interest in the success or failure of the Big 12. They should be cheering this move on from the sidelines, as it will bring more money and attention to the State and to it's flagship academic institution. And what's the logic of having no problem at all with aggy going to the SEC, but blocking Texas?

I've mentioned this on reddit where there are more big12 fans to roast, but if these Texas schools can't keep their shit together enough they have to continue sucking off our teet, its time to roll them into the UT system. UT-Waco, UT-Lubbock, and UT-FW . We'll put them at the same dumbass level UT-College Station is hidden away in . 

2 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

I hear good things about Boise and have actually been curious to go check it out. Mississippi and Alabama not so much. 

I'm not sure you can call yourself a CFB fan if you haven't read, heard, or seen anything good about The Grove at Ole Miss and its tailgates.

You belong back in the MWC if you're looking forward to trips to Boise.

Edited by DFW Horn

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, just tell us thanks for the last decade, revel in getting to exploit the worst 10 (11) year cycle ever of Texas football, send Chuckles Strong some flowers and an I Miss You card, get yourself a nice big bowl of ice cream, then get yourself in front of a tv and turn on The Notebook. Have yourself a good long cry. You'll feel better tomorrow and no one here will feel any differently about getting to put you and yours behind us. 

He mean but he gave ya some good advice. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Y'all are focusing on the wrong Dan Patrick.  This one claims his B1G insider (with a proven track record) told him that:

1.  Pac & B1G considering 'some kind of' merger

2. Notre Dame is meeting tomorrow about its future

3. ND might look elsewhere than the ACC if it loses members

4. UNC, UVA, Wake, Duke, GTech hesitant about joining SEC because they look down that conf's academics  

DP kind of hints that some current B1G and/or Pac schools might be left out.

Worth watching the first few minutes.  Lots of implications.

So is Hartzell's trip to Chicago (B1G offices and 90 miles from S. Bend) just a coincidence?  Or perhaps some large view discussions of realignment/separating, potential issues with the playoff expansion, etc?

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Y'all are focusing on the wrong Dan Patrick.  This one claims his B1G insider (with a proven track record) told him that:

4. UNC, UVA, Wake, Duke, GTech hesitant about joining SEC because they look down that conf's academics  

DP kind of hints that B1G and/or Pac schools might be left out.

Worth watching the first few minutes.

So is Hartzell's trip to Chicago (B1G offices and 90 miles from S. Bend) just a coincidence?  Or perhaps some large view discussions of realignment/separating, potential issues with the playoff expansion, etc?

The BIG insider loses a little credibility with the bit about Wake Forest possibly being asked to join the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, bullet said:

It would be nice if the powers were spread around.  When the Big 12 was formed, NU and CU were national powers.  OU and UT were down, but on the way back up.  KSU had Bill Snyder.  aggy, MU, Tech and OSU could give teams fits. Baylor was worse than Kansas.  Those were the days!

Then NU and CU sunk and left.  aggy and MU left.  TCU doesn't make up for that.

100% agree with this. This has been a slow burn and a long time coming from ESPN and the SEC. They have been plotting this for decades and played the Big12  and the state of Texas to obtain possession and control of one of it's most valuable assets, football.  I was a UT and Big12 fan before I went to TCU as I grew up in Austin. Original Big12 was where it was at and that should still be the premiere conference. The state of Texas got a second chance in the Big12 after seeing the SEC take Arkansas and blew it. ESPN got everything they wanted after destroying the Big East and now the Big 12. I never wanted TCU in the Big12, I wanted them in the Big East, ESPN destroyed both. 

Everyone outside of the former confederacy just lost a bit of interest in college football, but hey congratulations to ESPN and Bama. 

The B1G wants top tier research institutes and it isn't going to take a school, other than USC that isn't one.  They also want AAU schools.  They want CAL, UCLA first and foremost out of the Pac. They'll also take USC for the name and Oregon.

Out of the ACC, they'd love North Carolina and Virginia, but don't think they have a shot at them

Edited by alphahorn

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

DP kind of hints that some current B1G and/or Pac schools might be left out.

Worth watching the first few minutes.  Lots of implications.

1. They're not merging. They're going to do some preferred scheduling to help each other out, get Pac games on in the Central time zone and Big 10 games on the Pacific Time Zone.

2-3. Notre Dame would just stay independent. They're not going to the Big 10 unless their NBC deal goes away.

4. Only UNC gives a shit about football. That's why they're hesitant about joining the SEC. The rest are Vanderbilt level in football. 

36 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

see ya GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Same.  I liked it even more when CU, NU, aTM and Misery were in the conference.  I would have liked it even more if we had those and WV and TCU after a round of expansion.  But, alas.

I hate that a lot of the conversation in CFB is about a comparison of conferences.  I've always thought that was dumb.  The only reason it mattered at all was because of strength of schedule as a measurement for rankings or placement in the playoff.  When comparison is such a huge part of determining rankings and playoff contenders, this is what you get.

The reason all of this is happening is that there is no centralized power in CFB.  The individual universities have all of the power.  They organize in conferences, but they retain almost all of the power.  The NCAA has no power.  The NCAA sucks not because the people who run it are incompetent, but because the member universities have not given it any power.  I mean, look at the NCAA men's basketball tournament.  It's a huge success and the NCAA has done a great job with it.  No reason to think they wouldn't do the same with football, if given the chance.

The result of all of this could be good, bad or indifferent.  Personally, I don't like the direction it's going.  Too much about money; too little about other things that separated it from the pro game.  On the other hand, it's hard to watch everyone involved except the players profit handsomely while they work their asses off and make huge sacrifices to provide the product on the field.

Ironically, if the universities wanted to control player compensation, conference realignment and all the rest of it, the answer is that they would need to give up control to a central authority with the power to make and enforce rules consistent with the current law (or future laws that entity lobbies into existence) and dictate conference membership.  I don't think having regional conferences with equal numbers and balanced for competition as well as an expanded playoff would make CFB more NFL in a bad way.  Having CFB organized similarly to the NFL would not take away the things (students, bands, on-campus stadiums, traditions, rivalries, not playing for money) that make CFB different from the NFL (and better, in my opinion).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Perhaps a little unrelated... in the link, on the statement, is the OU seal... What the hell is that guy doing? looks like he's waving away a fart.

The Schitt's Creek sign would have seemed more appropriate.

27 Pieces of Dirty Humor to Corrupt Your Soul - Funny Gallery

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm not sure you can call yourself a CFB fan if you haven't read, heard, or seen anything good about The Grove at Ole Miss and its tailgates.

You belong back in the MWC if you're looking forward to trips to Boise.

Oh I'm not relating these places to football, just to life in general. But no I would generally not associate with folks from Mississippi nor am I impressed with their football history. Besides I brushed shoulders with enough Ole Miss fans at the Peach bowl to know those are not the types of folks I need to be around. Same goes for baseball and both Mississippi schools and Arkansas. Just not my crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

From SEC network article....if this is what they put out....I don't know that CTJ should be so excited...

"They were angry Darlington Raceway was empty on Labor Day weekend. Just as college sports fans in Oklahoma and Texas will be angry when they don't see "Cowboys" on the football schedule or "Jayhawks" on the basketball calendar."

No they won't....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is the time of the morning where we chuckle at how the Pac 12 is run by morons.

holy fuck

ucla, usc, zona, zona+ need to call texas and ou and tell them they will do a deal we can bring oSu and tech, texas and 0u get whatever we want

literally

every coed at ASU has to serve a 6-month mission to norman and austin for "reasons"

Just now, hiphopfroggy said:

Oh I'm not relating these places to football, just to life in general. But no I would generally not associate with folks from Mississippi nor am I impressed with their football history. Besides I brushed shoulders with enough Ole Miss fans at the Peach bowl to know those are not the types of folks I need to be around. Same goes for baseball and both Mississippi schools and Arkansas. Just not my crowd. 

That's a relief since you will never have to, but I hear Tulsa fans are lovely. 

You went to TCU, you dont have a crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Understandable

I've mocked aggy for crowing about their "big wins" against the Mississippis

48 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

8 conferences made up of ten teams each regionally located, so 80 teams total funneling into an 8 team (maybe eventually 12 team) playoff was actually my idea many years ago, so either you stole it from me or I stole it from you. 

Can’t say it will ever happen now though.  It would have worked, but money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Qocy4Rk1eMdtB19W5YNGumGsRtFLj6Drpwl1vkj-a90.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Here's my theory...  A few years back when the B12 had their big Dog & Pony show with all the schools coming in and making arguments for why they should be added to the conference, the current members sat and watched all those presentations.  Later, UT and OU were in the bar, crying into their beers...

UT: Man, that was bleak.

OU: No shit.  Do you want to invite USF with their 15 minutes of tradition or Houston with their 15 fans AND have to put up with that asshat Fertitta?

UT: I think there is a better answer.  Two better answers, really.

OU: Whatcha thinking there, Tex?

UT: I think first we convince our B12 brethren that dividing the pie 10 ways is the best idea and not add any more weight to this sinking boat.

OU: Makes sense.  It will also send the newsrags into a tizzy.  They hate when we waste their time. I like that!

UT: Then we bide our time for a few years so that we aren't that obvious and start quietly making plans to head out for greener pastures.

OU: Pardner, that sounds like a winner!

UT: I figure we can go knock on the SEC's door.  They'll welcome us with open arms, make us lots of cash and we can put the Big 12 into our rearview.

OU:  SEC?  You want to go play with the aggies again?

UT: Can you imagine how much it will piss them off?

OU:....  <thinking... almost pulls a muscle> Damn!  You're right!  Those cultists will blow a damn gasket!

UT: AND we will piss off the Waco Baptists as well.  Win-win!

OU:  Let's do it, Tex!

Naw, ESPN, in cahoots with the SEC dictated what was to happen and everyone said yes sir. UT didn't have a say in the matter. Clearly there was no plan from any of the Big12 or Texas schools, just got played and then did what they were told.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 19

48 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Ummm . . . how does a move by Texas to the SEC, which is universally expected to improve in-state recruiting for the Longhorns, do anything but reduce the number of recruits "leaving the state in droves"?  You do realize that Austin is in Texas, right?

Something tells me you aren't being entirely forthcoming with your concerns.