Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Naw, ESPN, in cahoots with the SEC dictated what was to happen and everyone said yes sir. UT didn't have a say in the matter. Clearly there was no plan from any of the Big12 or Texas schools, just got played and then did what they were told.  

Does anyone else hear that?  It's the sound of despair.

1 hour ago, Godzillatron said:

Your wife’s boss is an idiot. I grew up in the state, got my undergrad from OSU before coming to The University for my MS. No self-respecting OSU grad would be caught dead in Crimson and cream.

This, although my high school was maroon & white, but I'd never wear anything with ATM logo or UT...right side up or otherwise.

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

1. They're not merging. They're going to do some preferred scheduling to help each other out, get Pac games on in the Central time zone and Big 10 games on the Pacific Time Zone.

2-3. Notre Dame would just stay independent. They're not going to the Big 10 unless their NBC deal goes away.

4. Only UNC gives a shit about football. That's why they're hesitant about joining the SEC. The rest are Vanderbilt level in football. 

Isn't there some story that will keep Notre Dame from every considering a move to the Big 10?

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

1. They're not merging. They're going to do some preferred scheduling to help each other out, get Pac games on in the Central time zone and Big 10 games on the Pacific Time Zone.

2-3. Notre Dame would just stay independent. They're not going to the Big 10 unless their NBC deal goes away.

4. Only UNC gives a shit about football. That's why they're hesitant about joining the SEC. The rest are Vanderbilt level in football. 

UVA kinda sorta cares about football when they’re good.

11 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Naw, ESPN, in cahoots with the SEC dictated what was to happen and everyone said yes sir. UT didn't have a say in the matter. Clearly there was no plan from any of the Big12 or Texas schools, just got played and then did what they were told.  

Getting out from under the LHN mess is a great benefit in going to the SEC

3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

The press is starting to catch on:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article253030318.html

Hide contents

The SEC’s treatment of Texas A&M should serve as a warning to every Aggie that in the eyes of the conference they are no different than Arkansas or Missouri.

Because of its size, Texas A&M is secure regardless of however college athletics, and football, exist, and change in the coming decade.

The Aggies will always be a part of big-time college football.

On Monday, Texas and Oklahoma issued a joint statement that it plans to leave the Big 12 when its media rights agreement expires after 2025. It also issued the dreaded, “However” sentence that suggests they want to get out of this ASAP.

The Texas A&M Board of Regents met at 5 p.m. Monday to discuss Texas and Oklahoma’s move to the SEC. This meeting is a formality, and the subject should have been removed from the docket.

While A&M leaders, such as athletic director Ross Bjork, now welcome the addition of UT as a fellow conference member, it’s too late.

Their first reaction was their genuine feeling about this. They don’t want UT again for the logical reasons, and it reeks not of pettiness, but fear.

On Tuesday morning, the SEC issued a statement from commissioner Greg Sankey that acknowledged the league is considering adding both Texas and Oklahoma.

There was never anything Texas A&M could do to stop this, because in the eyes of the SEC, the Big Ten, the Pac-12, the ACC, Fox Sports, or ESPN, the real prize in Texas is the University of Texas.

Hide contents

Because, much like Auburn will never be Alabama, Texas A&M will never be the University of Texas.

Every single Aggie knows what is coming, and the return of second-class treatment by both the conference, and everywhere outside of College Station.

Of course, it will be fun to watch for the first time in its history when Bevo pushes out his belly and tries to bully the room when Alabama says, “You’re adorable. We’re not doing that. The adults are talking. Now sit down and eat your orange slices.”

The SEC is an Alabama/LSU/Georgia/Florida league first. Ask Ole Miss about this.

UT isn’t even in the conference yet and its already received preferential treatment by a league A&M has been a member of since 2011.

There are few bigger T-shirt schools in America than the University of Texas; whereas A&M has created a level of solidarity and community on the strength of its alums that is virtually unseen by other every big university in the country, UT has both its exes, and a legion of fans and supporters who never attended that university.

The value in that is no different than the Catholic who loves Notre Dame, buys the Fightin’ Irish hats and sweatshirts, and has never once visited South Bend, Indiana.

You can’t put an exact value on that type of support, and only a few schools in the nation actually have it.

Texas is one. Oklahoma is another.

Hence the reason the SEC cannot wait to have them.

Texas A&M got away from the University of Texas in 2011 for several valid reasons, and had successfully cultivated an SEC niche in the state that was distinct and marketable.

The Aggies now have to deal with the Longhorns again, and if they sincerely believed they are as good as they say the last thing they should fear is the University of Texas.

They should welcome the return of one of the greatest college football games in America. But they don’t want the game, nor do they want Texas, or Oklahoma, as conference partners, for a reason.

In the last two years, Texas A&M has been a better football program than Texas, but we know what is coming.

Both Bevo and Boomer will make Reveille’s life more difficult, and that much harder to win a conference, much less a national title, in football.

When they were all paired together in the Big 12 South between 1996 and 2010, A&M went to two Big 12 title games, and the last one was 1998.

Texas or Oklahoma reached the conference title game every other time, and A&M was firmly behind both rivals.

The same has been true in the SEC West; the Aggies have yet to reach a conference title game, and the best it has finished in the division is a couple of second-place finishes since 2011.

Texas and A&M should both be more concerned about Oklahoma than each other, but that’s another rant.

The Aggies spent millions to be where they are, and believed they were done with “tu” because the SEC was watching out for them.

They weren’t.

Because, in the end, the SEC’s priority was Texas rather than Texas A&M.

I’m a couple hours behind, but fuck Mac Engel.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ummm . . . how does a move by Texas to the SEC, which is universally expected to improve in-state recruiting for the Longhorns, do anything but reduce the number of recruits "leaving the state in droves"?  You do realize that Austin is in Texas, right?

Something tells me you aren't being entirely forthcoming with your concerns.

The Texas recruits started leaving in droves when aTm joined the SEC. UT joining the SEC may help bump UT up a couple of spots in the recruiting hierarchy but overall does anyone think that this is going to keep more Texas recruits in state? I don't anyone thinks that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 33

Just now, hiphopfroggy said:

The Texas recruits started leaving in droves when aTm joined the SEC. UT joining the SEC may help bump UT up a couple of spots in the recruiting hierarchy but overall does anyone think that this is going to keep more Texas recruits in state? I don't anyone thinks that. 

I think that.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, hiphopfroggy said:

It absolutely will.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Getting out from under the LHN mess is a great benefit in going to the SEC

For ESPN for sure. If it was a bad deal for both parties then one would think the agreement would be easy to back out of. Unless one party was partially using it to dictate terms to the other party, which is clearly what happened here. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 22

2 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

For ESPN for sure. If it was a bad deal for both parties then one would think the agreement would be easy to back out of. Unless one party was partially using it to dictate terms to the other party, which is clearly what happened here. 

It's been a fabulous deal for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Hahaha. More elite recruits will stay in Texas because more elite recruits will go to UT. As for the overall number of Texas high schoolers that play college football? I'm not sure, who gives a shit. 

So now in addition to financially floating these schools for all these years and being responsible for the economic ruin of their cities, we also have to feel guilty for  putting them in a tougher position when they are in a recruiting battle against Kentucky and Vanderbilt for Texas 2 and 3 stars?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

I think that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hiphopfroggy said:

What an embarrassment this whole thing is. The state of Texas got played like a fiddle by Bama and a northeastern sports broadcasting company.

Power conference based in Texas? Nope

Texas recruits leaving the state in droves? Yep

Any control over what is happening? Nope

Texas has been raped, pillaged and burned to the ground.  

4FB00653-33DD-4D68-9A83-EEB73B296AD6.gif.cdc345430df43c83c935b3dc85cc27d7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

36 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Oh I'm not relating these places to football, just to life in general. But no I would generally not associate with folks from Mississippi nor am I impressed with their football history. Besides I brushed shoulders with enough Ole Miss fans at the Peach bowl to know those are not the types of folks I need to be around. Same goes for baseball and both Mississippi schools and Arkansas. Just not my crowd. 

This is the most pure sour grapes I've ever seen. Just exemplary work.

16 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

When Mack Brown got lazy and Charlie Strong, well he was always lazy.  That's when they left.  The the CFP gave Ohio St., Alabama and Clemson inroads everywhere in the country.  We didn't do well this year with Hermann getting fired rumors, but it was Alabama getting 3 of the top 11 and 7 of the top 100 and Ohio St. getting the top player that was significant.

5 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

It's going to be sucky when the other pissed off conferences don't vote to expand the playoffs beyond four and the SEC is like, 'But how do I get 7 teams in the playoffs now?'

Then fine, the SEC will just fill all four spots, and no playoffs for you.

Somehow I don't think the other conferences will like that very much.

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

one of the more underappreciated moments in UT football history.  i was in the press box that day with @DesertDog2K who was covering the game for a small town newspaper.  i feel like we rode the elevator down with some UVA muckety mucks, including UVA AD Terry Holland.  it was dead silence.  it was all we could do not to go berserk.  but we were respectful.

That game as fun.  One of the highlights of a relatively rough era.

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

UT and OU requested an invite to the SEC

OU Sucks

aggy mad

Everybody hates us.

Don't care, had SEC[s]

There's nothing different about everyone hating us now than before.

We've been hated the entire time, SWC, Big12, and now.

"Same as it ever was."  That reminds me....
image.png.617419eda56803a388bce6b08c4c0c98.png

Just now, dcbc said:
5 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:
There's nothing different about everyone hating us now than before.

We've been hated the entire time, SWC, Big12, and now.

"Same as it ever was."  That reminds me....
image.png.617419eda56803a388bce6b08c4c0c98.png

There's nothing different about OU sucking either.

Look at your watch.

Say: "It's <insert current time here>, and ou *STILL* SUCKS!"

Feel great! Hook'Em!

33 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Texas recruits started leaving in droves in the 80s when everyone got put on probation. Tim Brown to ND being the perfect embodiment of that. Except for Mack brown UT recruiting from 98-2005 (and those are the exact years) it’s been downhill ever since.

That is very strange.    I have known folks who went undergrad at one school and then Grad or Whatever Professional Degree at another  and have more of an affiliation  or affection with the later.    Even a few who went to aggy for undergrad and UT for Grad or Med/Pharmacy/ Law  School.  You would never know they were aggy if they didn't tell you or see their undergrad diploma on the wall. Any self respecting person who went to UT for both undergrad and grad school would need to have their heads examined if they joined the cult of aggy, IMO.  I don't care if they were trying to impress and keep a lady happy  if she is aggy.    I'd go to a game with her, but never in the world would I wear aggy shit to make myself feel like I'm part of the cult for one day.  

Exactly. I wear burnt orange 90% of the time as a TexasEx and Texas resident of 30 years. Wear bright orange when it’s appropriate (OSU playing anyone but Texas) since I am an alumni. Fuck OU and anyone that roots for the Sooners if they graduated from another school. Same for Aggy.
  • Hook 'Em 1