Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

Besides wine in recent posts, I did learn about TEX several pages back. Based on that awful YouTube clip, it was awful. I was on campus a bit earlier than that. To register in my day, you went to the Co-op, bought a big ass white book with small print and then stood in line for hours and hours before learning the class you needed was full.

But for $4 a semester hour, we didn’t bitch much.

It was in Gregory right? Had some guys tell me all about it. Evidently TEX was pretty new when I started in 96

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Here's my theory...  A few years back when the B12 had their big Dog & Pony show with all the schools coming in and making arguments for why they should be added to the conference, the current members sat and watched all those presentations.  Later, UT and OU were in the bar, crying into their beers...

UT: Man, that was bleak.

OU: No shit.  Do you want to invite USF with their 15 minutes of tradition or Houston with their 15 fans AND have to put up with that asshat Fertitta?

UT: I think there is a better answer.  Two better answers, really.

OU: Whatcha thinking there, Tex?

UT: I think first we convince our B12 brethren that dividing the pie 10 ways is the best idea and not add any more weight to this sinking boat.

OU: Makes sense.  It will also send the newsrags into a tizzy.  They hate when we waste their time. I like that!

UT: Then we bide our time for a few years so that we aren't that obvious and start quietly making plans to head out for greener pastures.

OU: Pardner, that sounds like a winner!

UT: I figure we can go knock on the SEC's door.  They'll welcome us with open arms, make us lots of cash and we can put the Big 12 into our rearview.

OU:  SEC?  You want to go play with the aggies again?

UT: Can you imagine how much it will piss them off?

OU:....  <thinking... almost pulls a muscle> Damn!  You're right!  Those cultists will blow a damn gasket!

UT: AND we will piss off the Waco Baptists as well.  Win-win!

OU:  Let's do it, Tex!

Awesome. 

Now go back & read it again with Bill Clinton's voice as OU and W's voice as UT ... like in those Austin car dealership radio ads. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

94-98 here, TEX all the live long day.  Unless you guys drug hot ass out of Gregory I would much rather get my disappointment of learning that I was stuck yet again with an 8am class because it was the only open section in a matter of seconds than stand around and sweat my ass off to get the same news.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

It was in Gregory right? Had some guys tell me all about it. Evidently TEX was pretty new when I started in 96

Tex existed in 93 or 94.  I don’t recall not using it, bit my hazy memory tells me that they helped you sign up for classes at freshman orientation.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Tex existed in 93 or 94.  I don’t recall not using it, bit my hazy memory tells me that they helped you sign up for classes at freshman orientation.

Had Tex telling me goodbye and good luck freshman year in 91. Not sure but we might have been the first class with it. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Had Tex telling me goodbye and good luck freshman year in 91. Not sure but we might have been the first class with it. 

It was in place fall of ‘90 too. Thanks for the memories. Forgot all about that nightmare. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Naw, ESPN, in cahoots with the SEC dictated what was to happen and everyone said yes sir. UT didn't have a say in the matter. Clearly there was no plan from any of the Big12 or Texas schools, just got played and then did what they were told.  

Just like when you left a previous company for a big raise, better office, and career advancement you let that new company manipulate you.  Shame, shame. If roles were reversed TCU would do the exact same thing and they’d be right to do it.  

2 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

The Texas recruits started leaving in droves when aTm joined the SEC. UT joining the SEC may help bump UT up a couple of spots in the recruiting hierarchy but overall does anyone think that this is going to keep more Texas recruits in state? I don't anyone thinks that. 

I think that.

At freshman summer orientation for fall of 89, we registered for classes on a bubble form.  I think when they were full, they just put you in another similar class but apparently you had an advantage if you went to the first orientation, which I did.  For spring of 90, we used TEX.

Edited by PhillyD
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I didn’t say UT has to sling mud.

It is not mudslinging when when presenting historical events in a rational, truthful manner. Since there are so many revisionists throwing bullshit out there, the fantasy is becoming history.

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." --Maxwell Smart 

Print the legend. It's what we do these days. Alas.

39 minutes ago, bullet said:

I like Sequoia Grove.  I used to like Cakebread, but haven't been impressed lately.  May be because it has to travel to Georgia.

Cakebread Dancing Bear is some fine juice.  For a warmer season pinot, it's hard to beat Kosta Browne.  For a moderate price, Meadowcroft is outstanding for reds.

29 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Besides wine in recent posts, I did learn about TEX several pages back. Based on that shitty YouTube clip, it was awful. I was on campus a bit earlier than that. To register in my day, you went to the Co-op, bought a big ass white book with small print and then stood in line for hours at the Erwin Center for hours before learning the class you needed was full.

But for $4 a semester hour, we didn’t bitch much.

You were there after me.  We stood in line for hours at Belmont before learning the class you needed was full.  Fortunately, I was about a semester ahead in credit hours so I usually didn't have to go there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kids. Gather ‘round while DNAguy tells a story of yore.

It was the fall of 20 rickety 2. We said rickety because no one knew about ‘aught’ yet because it was still so new.

TEX was still around in Fall 2002. The internet / intranet was so slowed down during registration, it was actually faster to use TEX to register than going online. A summer session hack that I was able to take advantage of. 

But alas, it was the last time TEX could be used. TEX died an unceremonious death after then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, bullet said:

It would be nice if the powers were spread around.  When the Big 12 was formed, NU and CU were national powers.  OU and UT were down, but on the way back up.  KSU had Bill Snyder.  aggy, MU, Tech and OSU could give teams fits. Baylor was worse than Kansas.  Those were the days!

Then NU and CU sunk and left.  aggy and MU left.  TCU doesn't make up for that.

The Big 12 should have been trying to poach Arkansas and LSU, after the 1st 10 years lead to Nebraska, OU, and Texas all playing for and winning titles. Not too mention CU and KSU having legit Top 20 type programs as well.

The lack of vision from the ADs and the commissioner brought us to today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

I can confirm.  In addition to my undergrad from Texas, I have a graduate degree from a university in the midwest which is generally not known for fielding competitive sports teams.  I have a token amount of gear from that school, and I do wear it on occasion.  But over 90% of the time, I wear my Texas gear.  I look back on my four years in Austin very fondly, they went by way too quickly.

Holy shit. People actually graduate in 4 years? Took me 6. And even then, if I'd had one less grade point, my GPA would have fallen below 2.0. 

3 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

What an embarrassment this whole thing is. The state of Texas got played like a fiddle by Bama and a northeastern sports broadcasting company.

Power conference based in Texas? Nope

Texas recruits leaving the state in droves? Yep

Any control over what is happening? Nope

Texas has been raped, pillaged and burned to the ground.  

As opposed to lying to a future conference and leaving them at the altar.

Or does doing something in your best interest override worrying about other schools?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-college-big12/tcu-spurns-big-east-and-joins-big-12-conference-idUSTRE79A03E20111011

Spoiler
OCTOBER 10, 20115:25 PMUPDATED 10 YEARS AGO

TCU spurns Big East and joins Big 12 conference

By Karen Brooks

4 MIN READ

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas Christian University, which had already pledged to join the Big East conference, will instead join the Big 12 athletic conference, officials announced Monday, latest in a series of college sports realignments.

“I am fired up,” said an emotional Chris Del Conte, TCU athletic director, addressing student athletes in a boisterous news conference on the TCU campus in Fort Worth, Texas, on Monday night. “Today is living proof that dreams do come true because of your efforts.”

Trustees voted unanimously on Monday afternoon to accept the invitation, which comes just weeks after Texas A&M announced plans to leave the Big 12 and join the SEC.

The schools will make the switch before the start of the 2012-13 season.

“Joining the Big 12 brings us back to share a rich tradition with a lot of schools we already have natural rivalries with,” said TCU chancellor Victor Boschini. “It connects us also with schools that are committed to the same academic success that we are.”

The move comes after the Horned Frogs had already committed to joining the Big East conference for next year. By bolting from the Big East before officially joining, TCU owes a $5 million exit fee, Del Conte said, though they will not have to wait the required 27 months before leaving. TCU was scheduled to join the Big East on July 1.

A former member of the Southwest conference in the days before it disbanded in 1996, TCU had been a member of the Mountain West conference for the past six years. When the Big 12 was formed in 1996 with several former SWC members, TCU was not among them.

“I’d like to welcome you home,” Big 12 interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas told TCU leaders on Monday.

Though the basketball and baseball programs were celebrated as instrumental to the Big 12 invitation, Del Conte gave most of the credit to the success of the football team. It was the only one in the nation to be ranked in the top 10 by the Associated Press and USA Today for three years in a row, officials said.

The school is also completing a $164 million renovation of the Amon G. Carter Stadium in time for next season, with a new seating capacity of 50,000.

“The Mountain West has been a great home to TCU, enabling our athletics program to grow and be in position to receive and accept an invitation to join the Big 12,” Del Conte said. “We are also appreciative of the Big East for providing an opportunity for TCU.”

As is the case with several conferences, the Big 12 has been dealing with a shake-up in recent weeks. The Big 12 is still waiting for a commitment from the University of Missouri as to whether it will stay in the conference.

Colleges are scrambling in pursuit of lucrative television broadcast contracts. At stake are billions of dollars of royalties from networks such as ESPN and FOX Sports for broadcasting popular college football games.

Sports economists say being part of a powerful conference is vital to a university, which is why colleges across the nation are nervously watching the musical chairs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Cakebread Dancing Bear is some fine juice.  For a warmer season pinot, it's hard to beat Kosta Browne.  For a moderate price, Meadowcroft is outstanding for reds.
Kosta brought in a new wine marker a few backs and took a hit in quality, not substantial but enough to notice. Still good but..
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Holy shit. People actually graduate in 4 years? Took me 6. And even then, if I'd had one less grade point, my GPA would have fallen below 2.0. 

Electrical engineering in 4 years.  I had to, that's when the scholarships ran out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

There are few bigger T-shirt schools in America than the University of Texas; whereas A&M has created a level of solidarity and community on the strength of its alums that is virtually unseen by other every big university in the country, UT has both its exes, and a legion of fans and supporters who never attended that university.
This is one of the biggest bullshit myths around.  Spend a few days in East Texas and you'll see a shitload of maroon shirts worn by people who have never set foot in a college classroom.  A lot of Longhorn fans and a lot of aggy fans never went to those respective schools.  I'm sure you can say that about a good number of Alabama and Auburn fans.  And LSU fans.  "T-shirt" fans are not unique to Texas. 
aggy is the only school that acts like making money off of merch is a bad thing...because maybe some of those people dont worship dead dogs, jizz in jars or act like class rings are crown jewels that must be protected at all costs.
  • Hook 'Em 1