Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

15 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

SIAP

Josh Pate from Late Kick Cut talks about battered aggy syndrome lmao. 

I get that they don't want to resume the beatdowns by big brother, but what rationale does aggy use to justify the indignant outrage?

For that real 90s throwback feel, you had to be calling Tex from a pay phone at some gas station in the middle of nowhere.
I called TEX from an airplane phone over the Pacific ocean. It cost a fucking fortune, but felt pretty damn futuristic compared to sitting on the ground in the Drum waiting for someone to come drop a class in person.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
59 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:
For that real 90s throwback feel, you had to be calling Tex from a pay phone at some gas station in the middle of nowhere.

I called TEX from an airplane phone over the Pacific ocean. It cost a fucking fortune, but felt pretty damn futuristic compared to sitting on the ground in the Drum waiting for someone to come drop a class in person.

This is how you humblebrag.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Early 1960s registration was walking around the scores of tables in Gregory Gym at your designated time slot picking up a few of these...

79574CB2-F199-4181-8B90-930D49024869.jpeg

‘85-‘89 registration at the Erwin Center arena concourse.  Junior year I needed a History class.  The table had no line.  Cool.  I walked up and asked for the class, only for the girl manning the table to point to the door behind her.  I walked in to find Section 33 totally filled with others waiting for a spot in the class to open up.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I find the timeline fascinating.  I have so many questions. Pre-leak (Houston Chronicle article) what was the timeline? How much was it sped up post-leak? Is it true OU approached the SEC first?  If most of MSM didn’t have the UT is an evil asshole slant the articles written about all this will be interesting reads.

the precision of the orchestration of this maneuver indicates our cigars have been moving with stealth, cunning, and guile, at the highest levels, for a significant period of time, much longer than 6 months

all hail the burnt orange cigars

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the precision of the orchestration of this maneuver indicates our cigars have been moving with stealth, cunning, and guile, at the highest levels, for a significant period of time, much longer than 6 months

in talking with A&M co-workers about this, I think this is what upsets SOME of them most. Everything we're doing reeks of confidence and competence, two things the Aggies had desperately hoped we had lost

Business-focused, professional, calculated

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

So ESPN owes us for the LHN distribution through 2025 in this scenario. We can’t touch it in the SEC. So 2022-23 to end of 2025 is a minimum of 45M (not sure if the escalators change or how the kick to the academic side is accounted for) that we lose if we start in the 2022 season.

I would love to see someone run the NPV of what is left on the LHN pay schedule to really see how much we are walking away from..

My guess is that 45m number is what we should be willing to settle at to leave the B12. That way ESPN can pay it and then we are done

whatever the npv is and whatever the mechanics of the whole situation works out to be, it was already socialized and agreed by all parties months ago

outside forces (lawsuits) could change or alter the timeline or the amounts, but the directional numbers are already sorted, so speculating is a poor use of bandwidth

• Like 1

Had a buddy who had to register from a pay phone in Laredo while we were all on, ummm, an adventure. We made sure we were near a pay phone at the right time, let him register, then returned to our agenda.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Yep. I'm guessing some of those planes we tracked in the Urban Meyer thread probably had something to do with this move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Shit, Doc, I forgot to mention the location. It was actually the Drum. My acronym FECES never caught on (Frank Erwin Center for Events Special). 

Dad did Add/Drop in Gregory.  Siblings and I did Add/Drop in the Drum--what a nightmare!  People sitting on the floor next to the Add/Drop tables in the concourse, waiting, hoping, for someone to come and drop the class they needed. After all day of futility, then departmentals at each college office all over campus began where the futility began anew. What a Shitshow!

TEX, which started in 1990, just told you your desired class was full, as expected, and you hoped more attempts meant you somehow avoided more departmentals.  Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So I’m headed to Napa tomorrow with three other couples and just realized each couple is affiliated with a different SEC school: Texas, OU, Florida, and A&M. I feel like some sort of action should be taken. Thoughts?

Ditch them all and head over to Sonoma.  The wine's better here (minus perhaps the Cabs), a bit less expensive and less pretentious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Had a buddy who had to register from a pay phone in Laredo while we were all on, ummm, an adventure. We made sure we were near a pay phone at the right time, let him register, then returned to our agenda.

I'm guessing this guy was involved ...

MV5BNGIwYzBkNmYtYjViZi00ZjA1LWIxMzAtMDdi

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dad did Add/Drop in Gregory.  Siblings and I did Add/Drop in the Drum--what a nightmare!  People sitting on the floor next to the Add/Drop tables in the concourse, waiting, hoping, for someone to come and drop the class they needed. After all day of futility, then departmentals at each college office all over campus began where the futility began anew. What a Shitshow!

TEX, which started in 1990, just told you your desired class was full, as expected, and you hoped more attempts meant you somehow avoided more departmentals.  Lulz.

Adds and drops was fucking bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PhillyD said:

At freshman summer orientation for fall of 89, we registered for classes on a bubble form.  I think when they were full, they just put you in another similar class but apparently you had an advantage if you went to the first orientation, which I did.  For spring of 90, we used TEX.

I was in that first one and didn't get that benefit.  Lulz.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Kids. Gather ‘round while DNAguy tells a story of yore.

It was the fall of 20 rickety 2. We said rickety because no one knew about ‘aught’ yet because it was still so new.

TEX was still around in Fall 2002. The internet / intranet was so slowed down during registration, it was actually faster to use TEX to register than going online. A summer session hack that I was able to take advantage of. 

But alas, it was the last time TEX could be used. TEX died an unceremonious death after then.

Wow, you're a kid!  Lulz.

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Years later when scavengers are rummaging through the remnants of what was once the NCAA HQ…someone will find this chart and we will realize we all got played. 

06AAF86B-61CD-4460-BB0A-0B348DEECFA4.jpeg

It is a Catholic conspiracy, you were never meant to know. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Holy shit. People actually graduate in 4 years? Took me 6. And even then, if I'd had one less grade point, my GPA would have fallen below 2.0. 

I came in with a bunch of credits from AP exams and community college, which helped.

Plus my hometown was pretty shit, so I hung around Austin for a couple of summers and took summer school.

No regrets, but maybe I could have dragged it out a bit more...LOL.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Tex existed in 93 or 94.  I don’t recall not using it, bit my hazy memory tells me that they helped you sign up for classes at freshman orientation.

I remember it well - used TEX all four years I was at Texas to register for classes.  You young'uns will never know the agony of Dr. Livingston's voice telling you:

"MATH 408D ... WAS NOT ADDED"

The old-timer upperclassmen used to tell us horror stories of actually having to stand in line at the Frank Erwin Center and manually register, pre-TEX.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You still had to pay long distance charges back then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

in talking with A&M co-workers about this, I think this is what upsets SOME of them most. Everything we're doing reeks of confidence and competence, two things the Aggies had desperately hoped we had lost

Business-focused, professional, calculated

Well when you get rid of two shitty people like McRaven and Fenves and replace them with sports focused administrators, things can change quickly.

• Fuck You 4

11 hours ago, runthebone said:

ousucks at least better sign a fucking IOU

i'm good with it

if the corn kick time was the camel straw, that's fantastic (/mourinho)

if the cost of 0u aircover to leave is paying their way out, that's fantastic (/mourinho)

if it's a free gift (one time only) that allows us to weaponize a fully-functional deathstar, that's fantastic (/mourinho)

finally, after one hundred and forty fucking years, we get to say.... FUCK IT

and that's fantastic (/mourinho)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I remember it well - used TEX all four years I was at Texas to register for classes.  You young'uns will never know the agony of Dr. Livingston's voice telling you:

"MATH 408D ... WAS NOT ADDED"

The old-timer upperclassmen used to tell us horror stories of actually having to stand in line at the Frank Erwin Center and manually register, pre-TEX.

Thankfully I only had *1* year of that Hellish Add/Drop at The Drum. 

As I remember, if it said the course number first, then you got the class!  Otherwise, you got the, "This class was not added." message and then all the BS reasons.

Dr. Sue Staples was nails for both M408C and M408D. People liked her so much they spread propaganda on those registration-graffiti-tables outside of Harry's Place (UGL) that she SUCKED in order to scare people away so those that knew that she was great could get the 2nd class (M408D). Lots of hijinks occurred at those tables.

• Haha 1