Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't know, the TV ratings for those teams when not playing Texas or OU is abysmal. I think you may be severely overestimating their remaining viewership. I think they are going to struggle to get 10 mil per team even if they add two more teams. 

Big East with Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, UConn, WVU and TCU had an ESPN offer for around $15 million a year 10 years ago.  Rates in general for sports have gone up dramatically since then.  Now that doesn't mean rates for mediocre content have gone up.

Found some backstory about the SEC tv contract. I don't recall seeing this posted. Published yesterday. Spoilered.

If I'm understanding it right, when atm and mizzoo entered the conf in 2011, the rest of the conference took a bit of a hit on their pro rata share from CBS. (?)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/sec-negotiating-paved-texas-oklahoma

Spoiler

As the SEC finalized its blockbuster deal to take the CBS game of the week and move it to ESPN in December of 2019, one of the final issues tantalizing SEC commissioner Greg Sankey was this: now that ESPN would control all SEC games in the years ahead, what would happen if expansion opportunities arose again?

Back in 2011, the SEC’s leaders seethed with anger when CBS refused to pay the conference equal pro rata television shares for the additions of Missouri and Texas A&M. Indeed it was this anger more than anything else that would lead the SEC, a decade later, to spurn CBS’s attempts to extend their deal and move all of its games to ESPN.

Huddling with his lead advisors, Sankey sought a guarantee from ESPN that if the conference expanded in the future, he’d have the ability to pay the new teams the same amount of money, pro rata, that his 14 current teams were already guaranteed. But why would ESPN sign a deal that gave Sankey and the SEC equal money for all expansion candidates, regardless of their quality? The SEC and ESPN needed to define the field of potential expansion candidates in a way that made both sides comfortable with the expanded version of their deal.

That’s when the SEC’s negotiating team came up with a plan. What if they wrote into the contract that any A-list addition was automatically covered by the existing contract? But that raised another question: how to define an A list team? The crew bandied about the idea of labeling Texas as an A list school, but the concern was that limited the SEC to schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and USC, bona fide top brands without any question at all.

Everyone already knew Texas was an A list school.

They needed a school with a bit more broad appeal, an A-lister that gave them options to dip down closer to the B list if it made sense. Who knew what the future held? The SEC wanted a broad pool of candidates, an expansive list of targets that would eliminate doubt in the event of future expansion.

That’s when they hit on Oklahoma.

Who would the SEC and ESPN define as an A list school in their contract? The Sooners. That way, you got the big name schools like Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and USC, but you could also have a strong argument for other schools a bit below Oklahoma, the UCLAs of the world, even.

Now as the SEC prepares to add Texas and Oklahoma to the conference, OutKick can report that the conference has a mandate that no other conference does, the biggest and most lucrative television deal in all of college sports is portable. The SEC can guarantee potential expansion candidates that they will enter as full share equals the moment they begin play in future years, a guaranteed opportunity no other conference has at the present moment.

Why does that matter?

Because some have advised Sankey to think even broader than just adding Texas and Oklahoma. If the NCAA is collapsing and the major conferences will have all the power, why stop at 16 teams? Heck, why even limit yourself to the existing SEC footprint at all? Why couldn’t, some ask, the South also be defined as Southern California? I’m not saying USC to the SEC is going to happen. I’m just saying, the Trojans would make way more money in the SEC than they will in the Pac-12, even in a new Pac-12 deal.

The opportunity is there, thanks to the master negotiation stroke back in December of 2019. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey wasn’t just negotiating for the deal in front of him. Like all good negotiators, he was thinking about the next deal too. And now the next deal is here.

And already paid for.

So when will Oklahoma and Texas begin play in the SEC? Right now, that’s partially determined by CBS, which controls the SEC’s game of the week until the end of the 2024 football season. But there’s already discussion that a deal might be made. What if ESPN got the SEC’s game of the week starting in 2022 and in exchange for that game coming to ESPN early, ESPN gave CBS the second best SEC game for several years? With Texas and Oklahoma now in the fold, the second best SEC game is a valuable proposition. The same thing could be true with Fox Sports and any claim they have on Texas and Oklahoma games going forward as a part of their Big 12 deal, might Fox want to air SEC games as well? In theory this could be an additional masterstroke for Sankey and the SEC. They’d have three networks promoting their games instead of one in the short term.

And in the long term?

Well, look out, the SEC is loaded with cash, and any A list candidate is probably guaranteed more money with the SEC than they can make anywhere else. That’s especially the case because the Pac-12, Big 12, and Big Ten all have TV contracts set to expire soon. And the ACC is locked into an inferior deal for years to come.

Right now, Texas and Oklahoma are the SEC targets.

But, buckle up, the A-list targets are all in play for the SEC, and they are loaded up and big game hunting.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Who the heck wants to go to Nashville for anything?  Seriously?

NOLA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville....which one is not like the others....

Well three of those are large corporate hubs that also have some fun things to do, and two of those are major party centers and the non-Vegas bachelor/bachelorette capitals of the US.

So your question is a strange one.

8 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

With the eating, drinking and smoking habits of the degenerates on this board, most of the people posting in this thread would never see a down of Texas football in the SEC if things get prolonged to 2025. Half of you won't make it to 2024. I am highly confident in our lawyers, and fully expect Texas to play a full SEC schedule next season. However, it is not a 100% lock. For that reason, most of you need to drop whatever you are doing at the moment, and get yourself frozen ASAP. There is an Episcopal Cryogenic Freezing facility in Port Lavaca that will give you a 5% discount if you are a Texas-Ex. 

It's a lock that Disney's god-level amount of cash gets this done for next season. If it wasn't in their best interest to iron this all out asap, I'd have some concern. 

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

It'll be very interesting to see how long it takes. Lotta tension between (1) everyone wanting this to be resolved and their future secured (to the extent it's possible) asap and (2) everyone trying to get/pay as much/little as they can. 

yea its going to be tense as fuck for a while.  but i really think both sides are going to want it over as fast as possible.  there is nothing worse than a divorce that drags out for years. 

What an embarrassment this whole thing is. The state of Texas got played like a fiddle by Bama and a northeastern sports broadcasting company.
Power conference based in Texas? Nope
Texas recruits leaving the state in droves? Yep
Any control over what is happening? Nope
Texas has been raped, pillaged and burned to the ground.  

WTF do you think the $ was for?

We’re you not entertained?

Heads up. This game of thrones has been going on for at least 30 years. Some might even say it all started with the OU law suit.

Partial credit to TCU though. Y’all got kicked to the curb and fought all the way back. But even with that, got left at the door step to the big game (one true champ, ha!).

492b052c0950da4929b552e7d3437074.jpg

And fuck TCU.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

We've been discussing it on the left behind thread, but I think the current best option for the remaining 8 is:

1. Add two schools that are at least equivalent TV draws to the remaining 8 (e.g., BYU, Houston, UCF). This keeps the games inventory quantity the same by staying at 10 teams.
  2. If as it's been widely reported Texas and OU bring half the conference eyeballs then the above could mean that during negotiations the new Big 12-2-2+2-2 can credibly and justifiably argue that the modified terms of their contract that goes through 2025 should be at least 62.5% of the value of the existing contract. That would mean each team would get about $12.5M from TV versus the current $20M.
  3. As that's a loss of only $7.5M per year they are covered for their losses if Texas and OU pay the roughly $160M total buyout amount. That's $20M per remaining 8 school versus the $21.5M they lose on the contract over the last three years of the GOR.
  4. The two new teams don't get a split of that, but they get higher revenues than they do in their current conference or independent TV deal.
  5. So now the remaining 8 are basically cash neutral through the 2024-25 school year. That gives them 4 years to figure out what in the hell they're going to do at that point while feeling out the new landscape and where things are headed.

This could work, but it would require cooperation and strong central leadership from the Big 12 office. They would need to all understand and openly communicate that this is in their best interests as a group, it is only through 2024-25, and that if they are going to bolt to another P5 conference it will be starting with the 2025-26 school year. I give it a 0.05% chance of happening and working because the Big 12 office sucks ass and that's exactly why they're in this situation.

If the ACC quickly tells WVU and KU to lose their number and the Big 10 does the same to ISU and KU, then its only those schools with a Pac hope who wouldn't be for this.  I suspect Baylor and KSU already know they have no place else to go.  ISU and WVU will probably quickly figure that out.

34 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Who the heck wants to go to Nashville for anything?  Seriously?

NOLA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville....which one is not like the others....

Why are you dissin' Houston so bad?

6 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Are they actually going to have a vote or is some intern just going post a tweet that UT, OU and Sankey drafted sometime in June?

224626-alabama-fax-cam-girl.jpg?itok=BFm

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

17 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Seriously.  Nashville is awesome

I was there last month.  There was a lot going on, but when it came to boozing, it was pretty obviously amateur hour downtown.  As in, I got the impression that everyone there had their respective "first drink ever" earlier that night.  A lot of bad drunks.  Dirty 6th at 2 a.m. seems like a well oiled machine by comparison.  Opryland is a total cheese fest.  As far as TN goes, Memphis and Knoxville seem to have a lot more chill.  Just my tree-fiddy.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, General Specific said:

WTF do you think the $ was for?

We’re you not entertained?

Heads up. This game of thrones has been going on for at least 30 years. Some might even say it all started with the OU law suit.

Partial credit to TCU though. Y’all got kicked to the curb and fought all the way back. But even with that, got left at the door step to the big game (one true champ, ha!).

Conference realignment has been going on as long as there have been conferences.  Texas' first conference affiliation was with the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (predecessor to the SEC), and OU's first conference association was the Southwest Conference.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, closetojumping said:

-OSU should be offering to fuck, cuck, and/or suck whoever will pick up the phone out west or north;

-Baylor goes AAC and convinces themselves that they meant to do that;

-ISU needs to find some sort of unscrupulous move that unlocks the ability for them to blackmail their way into the Big 10, such as luring the Big 10 West division to a party in Ames, plying all attending presidents with roofies, and then photographing all of them getting pegged by NowThis' wife and KarenKeyLargo;

I lulzed at these three

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b2r44uvxk7pkvmokrblk

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Realignment is like the college version of the NFL draft except the stakes are even higher.  Everyone lying to everyone else. Endless false leaks to the media by teams/schools and agents/lawyers. Everyone looking out for number one. A whole bunch of talking heads literally just making shit up. And a bunch of fans on the net who don’t know jack shit posting a lot. 

It’s great. 

6219775A-BD7D-4155-A2C6-BDADF96A955B.jpeg

46 minutes ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I have a similar story involving Woody Harrelson.  Have no idea what decade it happened in, but probably the 90s.  He was absolutely blasted out of his mind as you can imagine.  I was with a buddy of mine and the girl that was with us had this throwback voluptuousness from the 60s.  He could not take his eyes off her beautiful breasts. Long story short, he followed us her around all night and we partied and smoked until the sun came up.

Oh, and to make it more relevant to your story, he was short.

p.s. Dude was so hammered; me and my friend just kept going through Cheers references and he kept motorboating and filling the bong; it was fucking surreal.

He ain't short. Maybe he was so high he was hunching.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They want Jimbo

Oh I know they want Jimbo, they are also a bunch of retards though. I think Gundy is , or at least used to be, a better coach who would really benefit from the high talent level at LSU. 

Jimbo coming in would be hilarious for meme purposes though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Oh I know they want Jimbo, they are also a bunch of retards though. I think Gundy is , or at least used to be, a better coach who would really benefit from the high talent level at LSU. 

That and to get him it would bankrupt the entire state of LA

1 minute ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Gundy would be an outstanding hire for them over Jimbo and a real pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I would do a rotation of your conference champ games for all sports:

Basketball: Dallas/Houston, NOLA, Nashville, Atlanta
Football: Houston/Dallas, NOLA, Atlanta
Baseball/Softball: OKC and Hoover (maybe add in Nashville and Greenville/Columbia for baseball)

Spread it around within your footprint. 

Why not just move everything to NOLA. They have a AAA stadium that can host the baseball tourney. It's got the slurpee center or whatever for basketball.

There's a direct flight from almost every major city to there.

Great place to visit. And now it's practically central to the whole SEC now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jTower said:

MCI, formerly KCI was progressive years ago. Went through recently and they are really struggling with security requirements given their layout. The use terminal pods. (No pods thread)

I accidentally made it through security with half a g of blow in my front shirt pocket. 
mci rules 

45 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Didn't ESPN and Fox admit that they gave more than the Big 12 was worth to try and keep it together during the last round? I thought I read Texas and OU finding out that this next round of money correcting course was the impetus for bailing. 

Why would the powers that be put a matchup between the remaining 8 on a main channel? I guess if two are ranked in the top 15 they could probably get a time slot, but there's about to be a ton of content in the secsecsec, and the ACC and Big 10 will come next in the pecking order. 

No they didn't.  That's internet fiction.

Big 12 makes about the same as the Pac 12 and ACC and has better ratings.  A lot better than the Pac.  And the Pac deal was on the open market about the same time the new Big 12 deals were done.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Found some backstory about the SEC tv contract. I don't recall seeing this posted. Published yesterday. Spoilered.

If I'm understanding it right, when atm and mizzoo entered the conf in 2011, the rest of the conference took a bit of a hit on their pro rata share from CBS. (?)

Reveal hidden contents

As the SEC finalized its blockbuster deal to take the CBS game of the week and move it to ESPN in December of 2019, one of the final issues tantalizing SEC commissioner Greg Sankey was this: now that ESPN would control all SEC games in the years ahead, what would happen if expansion opportunities arose again?

Back in 2011, the SEC’s leaders seethed with anger when CBS refused to pay the conference equal pro rata television shares for the additions of Missouri and Texas A&M. Indeed it was this anger more than anything else that would lead the SEC, a decade later, to spurn CBS’s attempts to extend their deal and move all of its games to ESPN.

Huddling with his lead advisors, Sankey sought a guarantee from ESPN that if the conference expanded in the future, he’d have the ability to pay the new teams the same amount of money, pro rata, that his 14 current teams were already guaranteed. But why would ESPN sign a deal that gave Sankey and the SEC equal money for all expansion candidates, regardless of their quality? The SEC and ESPN needed to define the field of potential expansion candidates in a way that made both sides comfortable with the expanded version of their deal.

That’s when the SEC’s negotiating team came up with a plan. What if they wrote into the contract that any A-list addition was automatically covered by the existing contract? But that raised another question: how to define an A list team? The crew bandied about the idea of labeling Texas as an A list school, but the concern was that limited the SEC to schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and USC, bona fide top brands without any question at all.

They needed a school with a bit more broad appeal, an A-lister that gave them options to dip down closer to the B list if it made sense. Who knew what the future held? The SEC wanted a broad pool of candidates, an expansive list of targets that would eliminate doubt in the event of future expansion.

Who would the SEC and ESPN define as an A list school in their contract? The Sooners. That way, you got the big name schools like Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and USC, but you could also have a strong argument for other schools a bit below Oklahoma, the UCLAs of the world, even.

Now as the SEC prepares to add Texas and Oklahoma to the conference, OutKick can report that the conference has a mandate that no other conference does, the biggest and most lucrative television deal in all of college sports is portable. The SEC can guarantee potential expansion candidates that they will enter as full share equals the moment they begin play in future years, a guaranteed opportunity no other conference has at the present moment.

Why does that matter?

Because some have advised Sankey to think even broader than just adding Texas and Oklahoma. If the NCAA is collapsing and the major conferences will have all the power, why stop at 16 teams? Heck, why even limit yourself to the existing SEC footprint at all? Why couldn’t, some ask, the South also be defined as Southern California? I’m not saying USC to the SEC is going to happen. I’m just saying, the Trojans would make way more money in the SEC than they will in the Pac-12, even in a new Pac-12 deal.

The opportunity is there, thanks to the master negotiation stroke back in December of 2019. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey wasn’t just negotiating for the deal in front of him. Like all good negotiators, he was thinking about the next deal too. And now the next deal is here.

And already paid for.

So when will Oklahoma and Texas begin play in the SEC? Right now, that’s partially determined by CBS, which controls the SEC’s game of the week until the end of the 2024 football season. But there’s already discussion that a deal might be made. What if ESPN got the SEC’s game of the week starting in 2022 and in exchange for that game coming to ESPN early, ESPN gave CBS the second best SEC game for several years? With Texas and Oklahoma now in the fold, the second best SEC game is a valuable proposition. The same thing could be true with Fox Sports and any claim they have on Texas and Oklahoma games going forward as a part of their Big 12 deal, might Fox want to air SEC games as well? In theory this could be an additional masterstroke for Sankey and the SEC. They’d have three networks promoting their games instead of one in the short term.

And in the long term?

Well, look out, the SEC is loaded with cash, and any A list candidate is probably guaranteed more money with the SEC than they can make anywhere else. That’s especially the case because the Pac-12, Big 12, and Big Ten all have TV contracts set to expire soon. And the ACC is locked into an inferior deal for years to come.

But, buckle up, the A-list targets are all in play for the SEC, and they are loaded up and big game hunting.

Well it went from $55 million/12 to $55 million/14, but they made a bundle on the SEC Network and got a good increase on their ESPN tier 2 deal.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Conference realignment has been going on as long as there have been conferences.  Texas' first conference affiliation was with the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (predecessor to the SEC), and OU's first conference association was the Southwest Conference.

I think the seeds of this 6-12 months effort to do what's best for Texas were sown when the 1st *two attempts* (that we know about) of this realignment failed.

The issue was overtly tabled, but the discussions continued in the background until the time was right and everything aligned. 

Then aggy thought they could derail it *somehow*, and seems they only succeeded in advancing the schedule.  Lulz.

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Gundy would be an outstanding hire for them over Jimbo and a real pain in the ass.

Gundy's on track to retire within the next 5 years. I don't see him taking an SEC job, and I think he's on his final contract, so no more flirting for raises. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he'll ride out the Big 12 while it lasts then watch his politics shows on his ranch.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Reveal hidden contents

Why does that matter?

And already paid for.

And in the long term?

From the article:  "...So when will Oklahoma and Texas begin play in the SEC? Right now, that’s partially determined by CBS, which controls the SEC’s game of the week until the end of the 2024 football season. But there’s already discussion that a deal might be made. What if ESPN got the SEC’s game of the week starting in 2022 and in exchange for that game coming to ESPN early, ESPN gave CBS the second best SEC game for several years? With Texas and Oklahoma now in the fold, the second best SEC game is a valuable proposition. The same thing could be true with Fox Sports and any claim they have on Texas and Oklahoma games going forward as a part of their Big 12 deal, might Fox want to air SEC games as well? In theory this could be an additional masterstroke for Sankey and the SEC. They’d have three networks promoting their games instead of one in the short term...."

The CFP expansion will happen in the 2023 season most likely.  So there are a lot of pieces that make 2022 difficult.  Lots of parties to make whole.

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

From the article:  "...So when will Oklahoma and Texas begin play in the SEC? Right now, that’s partially determined by CBS, which controls the SEC’s game of the week until the end of the 2024 football season. But there’s already discussion that a deal might be made. What if ESPN got the SEC’s game of the week starting in 2022 and in exchange for that game coming to ESPN early, ESPN gave CBS the second best SEC game for several years? With Texas and Oklahoma now in the fold, the second best SEC game is a valuable proposition. The same thing could be true with Fox Sports and any claim they have on Texas and Oklahoma games going forward as a part of their Big 12 deal, might Fox want to air SEC games as well? In theory this could be an additional masterstroke for Sankey and the SEC. They’d have three networks promoting their games instead of one in the short term...."

The CFP expansion will happen in the 2023 season most likely.  So there are a lot of pieces that make 2022 difficult.  Lots of parties to make whole hole.

Fify

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

There is no way in hell the PAC 12 takes Baylor or BYU, but TCU has a shot. 

It’s not necessarily that they’re against “religious” schools it’s more like they’re against the crazier versions with some fucked up policies. I admit I’m unfamiliar with how TCU enforces it’s policies but no way are they on the same level as BYU or Baylor.

Plus the whole briles/Starr rape thing kind of hurts Baylors chances there. 

Don't be lumping us with Baylor.