Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So basically all bail to the AAC because no one will play ball with your idiot commissioner now while the AAC guy has been kissing ESPNs ass for a while now

It's a very odd dynamic to be sure. ESPN owns 100% of the AAC's media rights. There's no 50-50 split with Fox like the in the Big 12. 

I think ESPN's strategy is to expand the AAC with the Tagalong 8. 

Doesn't the B12 have advantages (autonomy?) being a P5 conference that the AAC would not have?  And a B12 taking BYU plus 3 to 7 from the AAC would be a more competitive conference with higher TV ratings, and thus higher earning potential long term.  And even if you water it down by merging all of the AAC into the B12+...+, that conference still has those autonomy advantages over the enlarged AAC option.

ESPN tried to maneuver the IR8 into the AAC because they would be paid less there (even after the post-UT/OU haircut) and would have total control (more content) instead of splitting with FOX.  Doesn't seem to be in the IR8's best interests.

And I'm skeptical that any IR8 have much of a chance of landing in another P5.  I'm doubtful that USC would vote to expand now, and tend to believe the rumors that they and several other P12's are trying to get into the B1G. 

I doubt the ACC would have a change of heart and add WV, unless ESPN was really leaning on them.  Similar for more acceptable AAU members but distant KS and ISU, unless ESPN made it financially worth their while.  But 15 years of increased payments to 14 current ACC teams might eat up the savings from dodging the remaining B12 contract (post-UT/OU haircut) and buyout. 

So it wouldn't surprise me if all 8 have decided they have little shot at the surviving P4's and are in agreement on Bowlsby's actions today.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

this is Ghost of LL's point... there is no good ending with this strategy

makes me think the Big XII office is not acting in the (remaining) member institutions' best interests any more... or, they could just be stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

East:  Temple, WVU, Navy, Cincy, Memphis, Tulane, ECU, USF, UCF
West:  ISU, KU, KSU, Tulsa, OSU, TTU, TCU, SMU, Baylor, UH

Lol.  I'd be irate about that if I were an Irate 8 fan.  

I wonder if ESPN would propose this as a Big XII-AAC merger to Bowlsby, perhaps with some $$$ thrown in to ease the transition, so to speak.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Laughable, but other than Jeremy Clark regarded articles, why does 247 think the PAC 12 would take TCU over Tech? 

Probably academics, actually being in one of the largest TV markets in the country, and the fact that some P12 admins have told reporters off the record that TCU might be considered (while others said no B12 leftover was likely to be added.)

I am starting to wonder if the remaining Big 12/Ir8 structure becomes a Fox property when ESPN backs out... So that this fight for the remains is Fox v ESPN. Ir8 can go to ESPN, which is the stronger network, but the lesser conference (for now), or choose to keep the Big 12 and expand with the stronger conference but lesser network money. This could get interesting.

Will Bowls y send the same letter to Fox? Ha.

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Probably academics, actually being in one of the largest TV markets in the country, and the fact that some P12 admins have told reporters off the record that TCU might be considered (while others said no B12 leftover was likely to be added.)

TCU delivers the Metroplex TV market like the Dash delivers the Greater Houston market. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I wonder if ESPN would propose this as a Big XII-AAC merger to Bowlsby, perhaps with some $$$ thrown in to ease the transition, so to speak.

It’s what I was trying to say. Swallow your pride. Yes you’re in a crap situation but taking a big upfront payout ain’t gonna help you in 2025.  Work it out with espn

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Today is only 7 days since the leak by aggy.  Think of the entertainment we have witnessed in that time.  

Thank you aggy for exposing and imploding the pissant fuckfaces that run the rig12. Hope y'all schools find a good landing spot.

Texas/blowU/Disney Sports should all have a meeting without "big12" and help them land somewhere.

More then ever, they need big brother to guide them.

Bowlsby you fucking idiot HAHAHAHAHA

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m skipping like 4 pages, but I read the Carlton tweets. 

Bowlesby is accusing espn of…consulting about potential market value of one of their media properties if it changes composition?  Like the big 12 did 10 years ago?

hey, bob, here’s a clue. Texas and ou don’t like the big12 and espn doesn’t either. It’s time to start renegotiating the next media rights deal, they ask around. Sec has interest in both. They ask espn for valuation guidance. Info is relayed. Decisions are made. Things are made public. 
Other conferences see what is happening, begin due diligence on possible expansion and which teams provide what value. So espn and aac talk. 

or, can you prove otherwise, bob?  Because what you believe doesn’t mean shit in court. 

Court date set for 2028, 7 years into realignment. 

54 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He's not that nice a guy if he's maliciously spreading false bullshit. 

Fair enough. He's Baylor's Super Fan #1 in Dallas basically. I don't think it's malicious in this case -- it's just become the false narrative that we never seemed to care too much about correcting. Something gets said enough and it becomes "fact."

3iftkn.gif

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It’s what I was trying to say. Swallow your pride. Yes you’re in a crap situation but taking a big upfront payout ain’t gonna help you in 2025.  Work it out with espn

Sounds like that's what they're trying to do and Bowlsby is furious about it.

In other words, LOL

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

In addition to the various outs that Texas has, as people already pointed out here, I'm sure Texas's lawyers would have absolutely no problem with tying this up in discovery and pretrial motions until the year 2100 or so.

You got that long to wait, Bowlsby?

3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

So what happens next?

CFP expansion is what happens next.  It's necessary for the realignment, necessary for the megaconferences and absolutely the right thing to do.

Then we get our own SEC bagmen involved and piss everyone off on the next NSD.  Eventually knock Bama down a peg and watch Saban retire.  We (and OU fans) collectively laugh at Kirby Smart when he starts his next John Parker Wilson type QB and raise a brow when Leach tries recruiting Texas again.  Neyland is pictured with more burnt orange in the stadium than safety-cone orange.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Fair enough. He's Baylor's Super Fan #1 in Dallas basically. I don't think it's malicious in this case -- it's just become the false narrative that we never seemed to care too much about correcting. Something gets said enough and it becomes "fact."

3iftkn.gif

I get that part, but a journalist has some responsibility to research what he's talking about. The claim that Texas destroyed the SWC is 100% garbage and he should know better. The truth is not that 25 years ago Texas destroyed the conference Baylor was in. The truth is actually that Texas is the only reason Baylor was in a top tier conference for the 25 years after that. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I get that part, but a journalist has some responsibility to research what he's talking about. The claim that Texas destroyed the SWC is 100% garbage and he should know better. The truth is not that 25 years ago Texas destroyed the conference Baylor was in. The truth is actually that Texas is the only reason Baylor was in a top tier conference for the 25 years after that. 

E4E0E53C-8C41-46ED-BCC5-2CF10B457254.gif

Everything is spin on the internet, even if he did research and know the real story that wouldn't be the headline or even a footnote in whatever dead legacy media that dude writes for.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

No Big 12 school would  pick the AAC over any of the other P5 conferences. 

The AAC going after all the Big 12 schools tells me they're just laying their balls on the table and saying "nobody wants you so come join us or stay in the Big 12." 

Edited by texasstrong12

17 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

CFP expansion is what happens next.  It's necessary for the realignment, necessary for the megaconferences and absolutely the right thing to do.

Then we get our own SEC bagmen involved and piss everyone off on the next NSD.  Eventually knock Bama down a peg and watch Saban retire.  We (and OU fans) collectively laugh at Kirby Smart when he starts his next John Parker Wilson type QB and raise a brow when Leach tries recruiting Texas again.  Neyland is pictured with more burnt orange in the stadium than safety-cone orange.  

As soon as I heard this story, I pictured the application line for new SEC-bagmen wanting to work for Texas stretching for miles.  Lulz.

Edited by BachelorTrek

No Big 12 school would  pick the AAC over any of the other P5 conferences. 
The AAC going after all the Big 12 schools tells me they're just laying their balls on the table and saying "nobody wants you so come join us or stay in the Big 12." 

And no one is with their first love, that's why the jukebox plays ...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1