Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

14 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

No one cares what the Pac12 thinks about football.  

You should, since we aren't getting an expanded playoff unless all the conferences vote for it.  And it appears that both the P12 and ACC are getting worried about the SEC and B1G possibly raiding them, and the B1G has to be wary about the SEC's intentions, too.  It isn't just the P12.

Jon Wilner, one of the most connected reporters in the Pac12, had a column several days ago talking about how it has long been speculated that the SEC, maybe the B1G, and ESPN could be working towards forming a premier league of maybe 30-40 something schools that would break away.  Nicole Auerbach and Andy Staples have a similar article tonight (paywalled, or I'd post it) that starts out with how Sankey was pimping a book about the English premier league formation a couple of years ago.

So you've got at least half the P5 schools concerned that they could soon get B12'ed, even some B1G schools.  Things are unlikely to go easy peasy smooth the next few months or more.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Brilliant idea. Make sure your conference usually doesn't have a team in the CFP instead of always having at least one. 

2 SEC teams, Big 10 champ, ACC champ will be the situation more often than not if they don't expand and there are no other changes. The Pac-12, making themselves more irrelevant one decision at a time. 

Did you not read the article? It's not just the weak P12.

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It's not that people can't see through their shit, it's just that they are so irrelevant that no one as a whole pays them any attention, other than those of us who have their B.S. shoved in our face continually.  Other than that the world doesn't even know that they exist.

This could also be applied to the Austin American Statesman.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Did you not read it? Who was the only conference commissioner on the record saying expansion might need to be shelved? 

Valid point about being on record.

However...Kliavkoff being a rookie in his job does not mean his voice stands alone. He is supported by three other Power Five conference commissioners and some of most powerful college administrators in the country.

Doing the math, it seems like the only one who is a go on this is the SEC, which is not a surprise. And that's not a good starting position if you want the rest of the conferences on their knees slobbering all over the SEC's shaft and balls. 

2 hours ago, bullet said:

And had some nice alternate interior angles?

Are you people engineers?  I didn't remember a thing about geometry (except for the cute girl who sat behind me) until I had to relearn to help my daughter pass it in HS.

There might be one or two, along with a couple doctors, a few entrepreneurs, a civil servant or two, and about 350,,000 attorneys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Asu2215 said:

Meanwhile, over in aggyland….

Ahhaaa!!  See? We are more important than little sip little tu brother!!  When WE joined SRC nobody said nuffen because they were all skerd to wake the sleeping giant.  This proves tu is our little sippin brother and nobody cares about them!   Now we just gotta pay jimbo more money so he don’t leave and take our 2013 MNC with him.   

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Brilliant idea. Make sure your conference usually doesn't have a team in the CFP instead of always having at least one. 

2 SEC teams, Big 10 champ, ACC champ will be the situation more often than not if they don't expand and there are no other changes. The Pac-12, making themselves more irrelevant one decision at a time. 

Actually the non-SEC schools might be better off waiting until after the verdict next summer on pay for play/ unlimited caps...

As there's a rumor (per Flug) of more than a few schools will drop from an "all-pay" model, then figure CFP expanding to 16..?

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Some key excerpts:

...CBS Sports spoke with several high-profile administrators who will have a direct hand in the discussions. Their conclusion is that the entire proposed structure and access to the CFP must be reevaluated as a result of forthcoming conference realignment as triggered by the moves of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC...

...The 10 FBS commissioners are due to meet with the CFP Board of Managers (conference presidents) regarding expansion in September. The goal is to summarize findings after in-depth talks with athletes, coaches and administrators on their campuses. That's the next step toward finalizing a 12-team structure...

...However, more than one Power Five source told CBS Sports that the September date could be pushed back because of the SEC's actions. Complicating matters is Bowlsby's assertion that ESPN conspired with Texas, Oklahoma and the American Athletic Conference to take down his conference in realignment...

...Per the CFP, it would take a unanimous vote of the conferences to approve playoff expansion. Could one conference refusing to play along scuttle the entire plan?

"We mange (sic, lulz) by unanimous consent, but it isn't going to fall apart on that basis, I don't think," Bowlsby said. "I don't think people want to have a situation where most of the strength is in one area..."

..."It just feels uneasy relative to the 12 [teams]," Kliavkoff told CBS Sports. "I'm assuming my colleagues, nationally, this is a reason to pause on the 12. We need to pause..."

...With so much happening, more and more administrators in power are now asking: Why wouldn't the CFP wait and go on the open market to maximize the value of product after the 2025 season? That's when the current deal with ESPN ends. ESPN has exclusive negotiating rights with the CFP until then...

ACC fans love this and are calling for CCG only because ND purposely screwed over the ACC for their own benefit. ESPN, Sankey and Swarbrick  fucked them over.

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I was checking out binoculars on the internet. I haven’t really cared to check out much of the action on the field in the past decade but now I feel like they might be a good investment for home games. I’m guessing the away games are going to be tough to get into. Glad I have season tickets. Glad my family kept all 6. There were thoughts about letting go of two of them…so glad we didn’t do that.

Any recommendations on smaller binoculars?

REI has a nice compact pair that'll be perfect for this.

https://www.rei.com/product/117450/celestron-upclose-g2-10x25-roof-binoculars

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, The Tower said:

ain't going to mean shit 

As you'd expect, Tech, Baylor and TCU reps are all rallying to file legislation blocking any state school from switching conferences without approval. Happening as we speak...and I'm sure Oklahoma State is doing the same. Buckle up.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT:  The same thing happened in 2011 only the legislation was created for aggy to GTFO asap and not be stopped. 
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

This was, unfortunately, chopped from the above tweet.

image.png.bc9e64c5039142278a2705bd3b9ad831.png

That is about the same reaction I got from an aggy t-shirt fan (an actual farmer) in a very brief conversation after a mutual acquaintance’s memorial service on Sunday. He be bitter. Lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

REI has a nice compact pair that'll be perfect for this.

https://www.rei.com/product/117450/celestron-upclose-g2-10x25-roof-binoculars

@Nicole44, those are fine, but you might want to invest a little more and get some quality glass and a good case to carry them in.  I like 8x42 for games and bring them for the kids.  They fight over them.

Check out this site as well

Binos

This is a slamming deal on Zeis - 8x25 Terra ED Compact Binoculars for a little over three bills.  

1531225830_IMG_1023338.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Whichever town that is will still be hosting the same number of football games and other athletic events. I don’t know that visitor travel will be all that different if the opponents are Houston and Tulsa instead of Baylor and Texas. 

maybe the university can’t afford the same things as before, but maintenance of current facilities shouldn’t be a budget buster. 

so how much will it really affect this town?
I live in one of those towns, we'll be just fine. CFB Gameday has been in Sundance Square twice in the near past, and both times it was related to games taking place at Jerryworld, not froggy.

6 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Actually the non-SEC schools might be better off waiting until after the verdict next summer on pay for play/ unlimited caps...

As there's a rumor (per Flug) of more than a few schools will drop from an "all-pay" model, then figure CFP expanding to 16..?

Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana and who?  Sounds like something that gets thrown out, but when push comes to shove they won’t do it.  $$$ and alumni won’t be on board.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ousux said:
18 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
Whichever town that is will still be hosting the same number of football games and other athletic events. I don’t know that visitor travel will be all that different if the opponents are Houston and Tulsa instead of Baylor and Texas. 

maybe the university can’t afford the same things as before, but maintenance of current facilities shouldn’t be a budget buster. 

so how much will it really affect this town?

I live in one of those towns, we'll be just fine. CFB Gameday has been in Sundance Square twice in the near past, and both times it was related to games taking place at Jerryworld, not froggy.

Yeah ft worth doesn’t count as one of those towns. 

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Cool as fuck. Not for nothing but I’ve been listening to ZZ Top a lot today. Cranked it up to 11 when the news broke that we were SEC official.

Slight O/T Billy Gibbons goes to my dentist. Crazy stuff to see that guy sitting in the waiting room with the rest of us plebeians.

As much as I can BS online I had nothing. Not even a “hey.” Felt dumb…tried to act like I didn’t know who he was. He looked over at me a smiled and said, “sure is a nice day today.” Then they called for him for his appointment.

RIP Dusty. Damn.

I am still trying to process going to the SEC. 🤘🏼

4E9BE332-550D-4C54-829F-41164E8C3440.gif

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, I was doing the ZZ Top marathon today. Barely scraped their discography, though (I had meetings). Gonna pour one out for ol' Dusty later tonight.

82F89E0B-CA30-448E-951F-D2BAD2E47E02.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3