Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

How often is big brother terrified of little brother?

How often does a big brother feel his whole has collapsed because little brother walked into the room?

It’s their w(hole) they’re worried about. Collapsing just got less likely.

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's kind of funny that it appears to be 11:00am kickoffs that pushed them over the edge.  That should have been really easy for the Big 12 to fix and they just ignored OU being pissed about it.

It's also really strange because the 11 AM kickoff is the "national" timeslot for ABC.  It has been since the early 2000s.  The reason OU kept on getting 11 AM games on ABC, is because they were the best team in the league more often than not.

But sure, if that was such a big deal to them, then the B12 leadership could have and should have interceded on their behalf.

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's kind of funny that it appears to be 11:00am kickoffs that pushed them over the edge.  That should have been really easy for the Big 12 to fix and they just ignored OU being pissed about it.

We've had just as many 11:00 am games, plus we freaking play them at 11:00  am every year. Sure its a shitty time but you don't see Texas bitching about it. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Came into the office today, usually get in early and it's relatively empty. New chick that just graduated a few months ago from TCU is also here.

Next thing I know, she's fucking spitting fire at me about Texas" "ruining college athletics and I hope you guys lose every game in every sport for the rest of your lives! you couldn't handle losing to us every year so you grabbed your balls and went home!"

"We don't grab balls. You're thinking of the aggies. When they did that last, you fell ass backwards into this dumpster fire of a conference. You just got to take advantage of the worst decade in Texas football history and we still have a record of like 60-20 against your program. You should be thanking Texas for that last glimmer of relevance and figuring out how to help elevate the AAC to an autobid conference after it dismantles the Big 12 and hopefully, for you, grabs TCU in doing so. Regardless, you're welcome, and maybe we'll schedule y'all as a cupcake sometime in the nonconference."

Then she literally screamed at me about "not going to the fucking AAC! the SEC should be inviting us!!"

These people aren't just losing their shit online. They're also coming unhinged in-person. In any event, like TCU, I'm sure she'll be landing on her feet somewhere decent soon anyway.

Good God. Does she understand it's a workplace? 

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

The reason OU kept on getting 11 AM games on ABC, is because they were the best team in the league more often than not.

The Fox "Big Noon" branding was used for big12 11am kickoffs.  Texas/0u has been the only rivalry game that kicks off at 11am local.

Herbstreet is bitching on sportscenter right now wailing about tradition and we're leaving because it's all about the money.

Just one more reason to give zero fucks.  No one in the media, no other schools, ever contemplate the objective truth, and only pontificate on their subjective myopia, with situational awareness measured in negative numbers.

tl/dr: it doesn't matter what we do, what we say, or the altitude of the high road we take.... fuck 'em all.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

For all the worry about how beaten down we're going to be hearing the SEC chant over and over, those poor SEC bastards have no idea how terrible it is to hear Boomer Sooner one thousand times per game. 

Right. Tennessee is stingy with its RockyTop performances.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, demos said:

026ca31a69d842c80eaeb633c2d20273.jpg
Yeah that’s it. Not the rape coverup, or the murder coverup, or the simple fact no one wants to watch Baylor.

AAC bound or whatever it becomes. Tulsa, Houston, Tulane etc. are their future as it should been in 1995. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

We've had just as many 11:00 am games, plus we freaking play them at 11:00  am every year. Sure its a shitty time but you don't see Texas bitching about it. 

Wrong. We’ve played almost an entire seasons worth more. Texas and Texas fans should be equally upset about this shit. Look at Alabama and LSU over the same time. Think about how much harder it is to have a good official visit home game environment at 11am vs. 6/7pm. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

Herbstreet is bitching on sportscenter right now wailing about tradition and we're leaving because it's all about the money.

I can't handle all of the irony in that.

ESPN is the architect of this whole thing.  Doesn't he understand that the people who sign his paycheck (authorize the direct deposit) are the ones he's upset with?  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The Fox "Big Noon" branding was used for big12 11am kickoffs.  Texas/0u has been the only rivalry game that kicks off at 11am local.

Just one more reason to give zero fucks.  No one in the media, no other schools, ever contemplate the objective truth, and only pontificate on their subjective myopia, with situational awareness measured in negative numbers.

tl/dr: it doesn't matter what we do, what we say, or the altitude of the high road we take.... fuck 'em all.

Someone should ask Kirk if he'll take less money than the other marquee game announcers the next time the next time his contract is up.  Cause he just loves the game so much.  It would be for the good of the sport.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I can't handle all of the irony in that.

ESPN is the architect of this whole thing.  Doesn't he understand that the people who sign his paycheck (authorize the direct deposit) are the ones he's upset with?  

and give him millions of dollars to talk about college football.

Just now, Longboard Horn said:

And think how fucking crazy this week would have been if dipshit aggy didn’t leak it last week…

The letter would have went out Monday and we would still be in the denial/anger stages for most of the local schools and press by the time we accepted today…

• Hook 'Em 4

All this talk of kick-off times made me think of A&M gloating about shit like that. We'd be playing a nobody, and they'd be playing Arkansas or Florida. They'd gloat about their bigger audience and kickoff time.

I will be watching for the first time we play comparable teams and the Texas game is chosen for a better slot over them. They'll squeal like pigs and proclaim it's all because of underhanded dealings.

Delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Came into the office today, usually get in early and it's relatively empty. New chick that just graduated a few months ago from TCU is also here.

Next thing I know, she's fucking spitting fire at me about Texas" "ruining college athletics and I hope you guys lose every game in every sport for the rest of your lives! you couldn't handle losing to us every year so you grabbed your balls and went home!"

"We don't grab balls. You're thinking of the aggies. When they did that last, you fell ass backwards into this dumpster fire of a conference. You just got to take advantage of the worst decade in Texas football history and we still have a record of like 60-20 against your program. You should be thanking Texas for that last glimmer of relevance and figuring out how to help elevate the AAC to an autobid conference after it dismantles the Big 12 and hopefully, for you, grabs TCU in doing so. Regardless, you're welcome, and maybe we'll schedule y'all as a cupcake sometime in the nonconference."

Then she literally screamed at me about "not going to the fucking AAC! the SEC should be inviting us!!"

These people aren't just losing their shit online. They're also coming unhinged in-person. In any event, like TCU, I'm sure she'll be landing on her feet somewhere decent soon anyway.

Ugh. That shit has happened to me before once or twice. Usually I feign ignorance and ask them in surprised fashion to explain their concern while trying to seem concerned. Then, gently pose a few simple questions that obliterate their argument. 

the remaining 8 are like passengers on the Titanic who never made it to a lifeboat and are treading water, yelling in the dark freezing Atlantic. It’s loud now but going to be really quiet soon.

• Hook 'Em 8

Mac Engel: Why Texas A&M wants no part of Texas, or Oklahoma, in the SEC

Mac Engel - Fort Worth Star-Telegram (TNS)

Jul 28, 2021 Updated Jul 28, 2021

The SEC’s treatment of Texas A&M should serve as a warning to every Aggie that in the eyes of the conference they are no different than Arkansas or Missouri.

Because of its size, Texas A&M is secure regardless of however college athletics, and football, exist, and change in the coming decade.

The Aggies will always be a part of big-time college football.

On Monday, Texas and Oklahoma issued a joint statement that it plans to leave the Big 12 when its media rights agreement expires after 2025. It also issued the dreaded, “However” sentence that suggests they want to get out of this ASAP.

The Texas A&M Board of Regents met at 5 p.m. Monday to discuss Texas and Oklahoma’s move to the SEC. This meeting was a formality, and the subject should have been removed from the docket.

While A&M leaders, such as athletic director Ross Bjork, now welcome the addition of UT as a fellow conference member, it’s too late.

Their first reaction was their genuine feeling about this. They don’t want UT again for the logical reasons, and it reeks not of pettiness, but fear.

On Tuesday morning, the SEC issued a statement from Commissioner Greg Sankey that acknowledged the league is considering adding both Texas and Oklahoma.

There was never anything Texas A&M could do to stop this, because in the eyes of the SEC, the Big Ten, the Pac-12, the ACC, Fox Sports, or ESPN, the real prize in Texas is the University of Texas.

Because, much like Auburn will never be Alabama, Texas A&M will never be the University of Texas.

Every single Aggie knows what is coming, and the return of second-class treatment by both the conference, and everywhere outside of College Station.

Of course, it will be fun to watch for the first time in its history when Bevo pushes out his belly and tries to bully the room when Alabama says, “You’re adorable. We’re not doing that. The adults are talking. Now sit down and eat your orange slices.”

The SEC is an Alabama/LSU/Georgia/Florida league first. Ask Ole Miss about this.

UT isn’t even in the conference yet and its already received preferential treatment by a league A&M has been a member of since 2011.

There are few bigger T-shirt schools in America than the University of Texas; whereas A&M has created a level of solidarity and community on the strength of its alums that is virtually unseen by other every big university in the country, UT has both its exes, and a legion of fans and supporters who never attended that university.

The value in that is no different than the Catholic who loves Notre Dame, buys the Fightin’ Irish hats and sweatshirts, and has never once visited South Bend, Ind.

You can’t put an exact value on that type of support, and only a few schools in the nation actually have it.

Texas is one. Oklahoma is another.

Hence the reason the SEC cannot wait to have them.

Texas A&M got away from the University of Texas in 2011 for several valid reasons, and had successfully cultivated an SEC niche in the state that was distinct and marketable.

The Aggies now have to deal with the Longhorns again, and if they sincerely believe they are as good as they say, the last thing they should fear is the University of Texas.

They should welcome the return of one of the greatest college football games in America. But they don’t want the game, nor do they want Texas, or Oklahoma, as conference partners, for a reason.

In the last two years, Texas A&M has been a better football program than Texas, but we know what is coming.

Both Bevo and Boomer will make Reveille’s life more difficult, and that much harder to win a conference, much less a national title, in football.

When they were all paired together in the Big 12 South between 1996 and 2010, A&M went to two Big 12 title games, and the last one was 1998.

Texas or Oklahoma reached the conference title game every other time, and A&M was firmly behind both rivals.

The same has been true in the SEC West; the Aggies have yet to reach a conference title game, and the best it has finished in the division is a couple of second-place finishes since 2011.

Texas and A&M should both be more concerned about Oklahoma than each other, but that’s another rant.

The Aggies spent millions to be where they are, and believed they were done with “tu” because the SEC was watching out for them.

They weren’t.

Because, in the end, the SEC’s priority was Texas rather than Texas A&M.

+++

tl/dr: in summary, it's pointless to try to combat this level of incompetence and bias as long as our cigars maintain their path on the high road, so.... FUCK 'EM ALL

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don't know if CTJ's little anecdote is true or not but that reaction is going on across the state.  Individuals and institutions are having a full blown come to jesus meeting about their lot in life.  Self awareness and self reflection can be difficult for folks to process.  Harbinger of what's to come for lots of individuals and institutions outside of universities, imo.

And 2:30 kickoffs will be the norm for Texas and Oklahoma starting next year, praise Jesus

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I bitch about it before every game, but I appreciate it afterwards when we get a few hours at the fair and get to leave before the sun sets. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1