Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I actually like the 11:00am kickoffs.  I get to watch the whole game without having to schedule around other weekend activities.  I also like to make a brisket on gamedays a few times a year and 11:00 starts lets me watch the whole game in peace before people start coming over.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The Fox "Big Noon" branding was used for big12 11am kickoffs.  Texas/0u has been the only rivalry game that kicks off at 11am local.

Herbstreet is bitching on sportscenter right now wailing about tradition and we're leaving because it's all about the money.

Just one more reason to give zero fucks.  No one in the media, no other schools, ever contemplate the objective truth, and only pontificate on their subjective myopia, with situational awareness measured in negative numbers.

tl/dr: it doesn't matter what we do, what we say, or the altitude of the high road we take.... fuck 'em all.

someone on reddit did the research online about who played the most 11am games

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/os0fz1/does_oklahoma_really_have_more_11_am_kicks_a_study/

results:

t5CB8Izm

11 am games in last 6 seasons:

• OU: 21
  • Texas: 24
  • Bama: 10
  • Clemson: 19
  • tOSU: 26
  • UGA: 20
  • Florida: 22

it's a dumb thing to be worked up about and doesn't matter. Fox set up the 11am timeslot to be their major game of the week, they benefited from it then hated early start games? OU was 7 of 10 in the B12 over the last 6 years.

real tl;dr: fuck off OU - find something real worth complaining about.

• Hook 'Em 4

all week long, everyone coast to coast has said "it's just speculation, you haven't been invited yet, it's going to take months"

when you reply "no, this is not the league, shit is not gamed out in public, and it doesn't go down this way without it having already been agreed by all parties"

to which everyone replied "then why did aggy only find out last week"

to which the only answer is "from the outside you can't understand it, from the inside you can't explain it"

.... puzzled looks on zoom .....

then move on to business

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I actually like the 11:00am kickoffs.  I get to watch the whole game without having to schedule around other weekend activities.  I also like to make a brisket on gamedays a few times a year and 11:00 starts lets me watch the whole game in peace before people start coming over.

you do you

watching and attending are not the same thing

So after easily the wildest week to 10 days in offseason history, some random thoughts on what I've seen:

1. A&M has pretty much been on brand during this entire process which is the brand they've been trying to hide from everyone by cloaking themselves in all things SEC. Who knew that the "100 year decision" meant the amount of time it would take them to change that brand perception. I'm not a PR strategist or anything but here's a small hint...you might want to not have such a close affiliation with jock sniffing peddlers of athletic fan fiction. Course it will take them a generation before they realize that TexAgs and its ilk might not be the best purveyors of image and brand a school could have.

2. Anyone with an objective view can now see why Texas and Oklahoma are getting the fuck out of Dodge. The Ir8te seem to have been caught napping in their trailers even though the tornado warning was going off for some time (in the form of the media partners not wanting to discuss an extension). If there was any BDE amongst the group, they would have had that plan B ready to execute which could have made the conference more viable and given more leverage in negotiations with UT and OU exiting. But the events of the past week clearly show that UT and OU are getting out at the lower end of the range since most of the leverage is now on UT/OU/ESPN's side. Contracts are great...leverage matters more.

3. The Big 10 done fucked up if it is true they were approached first. Turning up their nose at OU shifted all the power in CFB to the south and now could accelerate the superconference race they didn't want to see. You think Ohio State, which was almost screwed by the current Big 10 administration in 2020, is happy that their access to high level Texas talent is now largely shut off and their ability to compete with the SEC schools in the football national championship game has taken a big hit. Jim Delaney would have gotten that deal done...Kevin Warren is now persona non grata in Ohio and could be elsewhere soon.

4. Pac-12's commissioner is borked before he's even gotten started...hope they are paying you well and you have a nice golden parachute. Hell if the SEC wants to further class up the place (after our admission of course) and really stir the pot, make a play for Stanford-their non football athletics are certainly SEC quality!

• Hook 'Em 9

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Came into the office today, usually get in early and it's relatively empty. New chick that just graduated a few months ago from TCU is also here.

Next thing I know, she's fucking spitting fire at me about Texas" "ruining college athletics and I hope you guys lose every game in every sport for the rest of your lives! you couldn't handle losing to us every year so you grabbed your balls and went home!"

"We don't grab balls. You're thinking of the aggies. When they did that last, you fell ass backwards into this dumpster fire of a conference. You just got to take advantage of the worst decade in Texas football history and we still have a record of like 60-20 against your program. You should be thanking Texas for that last glimmer of relevance and figuring out how to help elevate the AAC to an autobid conference after it dismantles the Big 12 and hopefully, for you, grabs TCU in doing so. Regardless, you're welcome, and maybe we'll schedule y'all as a cupcake sometime in the nonconference."

Then she literally screamed at me about "not going to the fucking AAC! the SEC should be inviting us!!"

These people aren't just losing their shit online. They're also coming unhinged in-person. In any event, like TCU, I'm sure she'll be landing on her feet somewhere decent soon anyway.

I feel like I can't judge the merits of her argument properly without pics

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

someone on reddit did the research online about who played the most 11am games

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/os0fz1/does_oklahoma_really_have_more_11_am_kicks_a_study/

results:

• Bama: 10
  • Clemson: 19
  • tOSU: 26
  • UGA: 20
  • Florida: 22

maybe 11am CENTRAL.....

without even opening the reddit page to see if i'm correct i'll wager $100 that 95% of those "11am" kicks are at NOON EASTERN LOCAL TIME where the game is being played

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

• OU: 21
  • Texas: 24

real tl;dr: fuck off OU - find something real worth complaining about.

it's extremely fucking real for us and them for a dozen reasons listed in this thread: recruiting, tailgaiting, revenue for the team, revenue for local businesses, ingress, egress, on and on and on

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

maybe 11am CENTRAL.....

without even opening the reddit page to see if i'm correct i'll wager $100 that 95% of those "11am" kicks are at NOON EASTERN LOCAL TIME where the game is being played

that is a fair point, i assume he standardized all times to central but can't see if he did or didn't, so assuming he did not.

15 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Ugh. That shit has happened to me before once or twice. Usually I feign ignorance and ask them in surprised fashion to explain their concern while trying to seem concerned. Then, gently pose a few simple questions that obliterate their argument. 

the remaining 8 are like passengers on the Titanic who never made it to a lifeboat and are treading water, yelling in the dark freezing Atlantic. It’s loud now but going to be really quiet soon.

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

maybe 11am CENTRAL.....

Sure, but the noon eastern/11 AM central timeslot has been around for over 30 years.  This isn't something new.  And it's been ABC's national timeslot since the early 2000s.

Previously, 2:30 was the national timeslot and 11 AM was the regional one.  That was true up until about 2003 or so, and it's why many of our late 90s and early 2000s TX-OU games were at 2:30.  But when ABC switched to 11 AM as their national timeslot, and relegated 2:30 to the regional timeslot, the TX-OU game shifted along with it, because it was the biggest national game of the day, more often than not.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

And think how fucking crazy this week would have been if dipshit aggy didn’t leak it last week…

The letter would have went out Monday and we would still be in the denial/anger stages for most of the local schools and press by the time we accepted today…

I'm guessing Aggy leaking moved up the timeline a bit

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Came into the office today, usually get in early and it's relatively empty. New chick that just graduated a few months ago from TCU is also here.

Next thing I know, she's fucking spitting fire at me about Texas" "ruining college athletics and I hope you guys lose every game in every sport for the rest of your lives! you couldn't handle losing to us every year so you grabbed your balls and went home!"

"We don't grab balls. You're thinking of the aggies. When they did that last, you fell ass backwards into this dumpster fire of a conference. You just got to take advantage of the worst decade in Texas football history and we still have a record of like 60-20 against your program. You should be thanking Texas for that last glimmer of relevance and figuring out how to help elevate the AAC to an autobid conference after it dismantles the Big 12 and hopefully, for you, grabs TCU in doing so. Regardless, you're welcome, and maybe we'll schedule y'all as a cupcake sometime in the nonconference."

Then she literally screamed at me about "not going to the fucking AAC! the SEC should be inviting us!!"

These people aren't just losing their shit online. They're also coming unhinged in-person. In any event, like TCU, I'm sure she'll be landing on her feet somewhere decent soon anyway.

she must make really good coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Did everybody in the street clap after that?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Sankey has asked AD's and school officials to come to the table with an open mind about scheduling. He wants teams to see each other more often. He's thinking about all sports in regard to scheduling creatively.

Somebody send my system to CDC and Hartzell, stat.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I'm guessing Aggy leaking moved up the timeline a bit

I don't believe so.  The letter to the conference was probably going to be sent this past Monday for maximum shock factor, with the timeline of this week.  A&M finding out at the last moment gave everyone 5 days to bitch and wail.

10 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

The remaining 8 members of the B12 should give Bowlsby a blanket party at their next meeting for allowing this to even happen.  Put the blame where it belong on Mr. Clueless.

The most competent commissioner the big 12 ever had was chuck neinas when he came out of retirement and was acting commissioner for a brief period following the termination of worthless Dan beebe. The level of competence during that brief period of time compared to both before and after was absolutely striking. Bowlsby both looked and acted the fool his entire time here, up to and including today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

WVU to ACC
ISU to Big10
Rest of the dominos fall quickly after that
Bowelsby is left with his dick in his hand and his cease and desist letter up his ass

Bob Bowlsby is a simple man. He likes lollipops in his mouth, cease-and-desist letters in his ass.

e9b6a324613dd49959c72eccc2d34ec2.jpg
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Zeus said:

WVU to ACC

ISU to Big10

Rest of the dominos fall quickly after that

Bowelsby is left with his dick in his hand and his cease and desist letter up his ass

I think the ACC is waiting on ND. Once they commit to staying independent I could see them swooping up Kansas and WVU to get to 16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Why does nobody push back on this?
“Name Texas’ 3 biggest historical rivals. How many do they currently play? How many will they play after this move? Tradition, bitch.” (Not to mention that Texas/LSU might be the most obvious untapped rivalry in the sport)
I know these dummies have their standard realignment soapbox speech that they dust off every time this topic is brought up, but genuinely Texas might be making the first conference switch in cfb history where they are ADDING rivalries/tradition/etc. If any of these arguments were in good faith and not just fodder for clicks, this would be discussed.

Give me the phone number to SportsCenter, and I will call in to do just that. Here I'm thinking, "Wow, Texas is about to play in the same conference as it's three biggest rivals for the first time since *checks google* 1919!" Meanwhile, the "expert" is telling us Texas is losing it's rivalry to, uh Kansas State? West Virginia?

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 2