Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The SEC is not underrated in basketball. It is considered the weakest of the P6 conferences in basketball because it is the weakest. Quick check using Massey Composite of the SEC's rank out of the P6 (including Big East) in basketball.

2021 - 4
2020 - 6
2019 - 3
2018 - 2
2017 - 5
2016 - 6
2015 - 5
2014 - 6
2013 - 6
2012 - 4

One good two year blip but basically just the weakest of the P6 over time.

It used to be underrated in basketball, but it has slipped down to perception in the last decade.

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Lots of my family went to Tech. They are not happy. But honestly, it is the uncertainty of not knowing what conference/schedule etc…not one of them was happy with Leach being fired.

But the vast majority of my family went to UT so…while I know they aren’t happy they aren’t saying exactly how they feel (to me at least.) 

Between West/South Texas and North/East I'd take the W/S all day long everyday.  There are plenty of fine people on all sides but if i'm honest there is something about West Texas folks and many of those small towns that i find endearing.  At least imo.  That is the only reason i am not overjoyed at the possible impact this move will have on them.  That said they will manage and live to fight another day.  They are survivors.  The Tech tards that want to make this personal can pull their pants down and go sit on a cactus. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And I disagree with this.  The ACC is already behind as it relates to money per school compared to the Big 10 and the SEC.  Disney isn’t going to pay the ACC the money the Big 10 or SEC is making per school just because they added WVU.  With Texas and OU, the SEC could make damn near $70 million per school.  Right now the ACC schools make what $35 million each?  You think adding WVU is going to get them anywhere close to $60-70 million per school?  

The ACC needs brands—not just holes to fill. If the ACC added WVU and UConn, they would be realigning just because everyone else is, not because those brands bring them more Disney money, which is what they are after. The ACC can go bold with adding brands to its conference that will increase $$$ per school, but adding WV ain’t it.  If it was, they would have been ACC bound the last realignment instead of Syracuse. 

What brand out there other than Norte Dame can’t he bring? None, so do nothing, which is what our commissioner did and look at how he’s being viewed by the world.  If the ACC does nothing they are dumb.

The ACC hasn’t expanded with any school worth a damn since Miami and VT in 2004.

Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt were taken for markets under the old TV money plan for the same reason the B1G took Rutger and Maryland.

They wised up and grabbed Louisville after Maryland left.  Louisville was a good FOOTBALL school, many people expected them to grab UConn as they matched the profile of the above schools: big market, good academics, and basketball.

Louisville (while still good at basketball) broke this mold and none of the other schools are ones that are increasing their TV money, because despite the ACC’s affection for roundball it’s football that’s driving the bus and the only school out there that helps football for the ACC is Norte Dame and West Virginia.

If they sit and do nothing the they look weak and it immediately puts a target on its back.  By adding West Virginia you look strong and move into the too big to fail category which currently doesn’t not apply to the Big12 or PAC12.

2 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

"The new deal will not change the conference’s philosophy on Thursday- or Friday-night games, Sankey says: There will be none."

Did not know this.

Which is weird because I could've sworn there have been SEC Thursday night games on the SEC Network. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My anecdote was real and happened this morning. I didn't fire her and she didn't get in trouble, but it was amusing and I was surprised by it. To your point, there are a lot of folks really pissed off right now and taking things in very personal ways. I have multiple tech friends who are fucking angry right now. I haven't spoken to any aggie friends lately, but I can't wait to hear their spin when I do.

Ha, I'm not really Mr. Potter. She's fresh out of school and a good worker. Y'all don't want to see pics. 

I refer to those as aggie acquaintances

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I feel a little bad that that story makes me happy.

just a little tho.

I think Big American could be a lot of fun.

West East
Baylor Cincinnati
Houston East Carolina
Iowa State Memphis
Kansas Navy
Kansas State Temple
Oklahoma State Tulane
SMU UCF
TCU USF
Texas Tech West Virginia
Tulsa
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

West East
Baylor Cincinnati
Houston East Carolina
Iowa State Memphis
Kansas Navy
Kansas State Temple
Oklahoma State Tulane
SMU UCF
TCU USF
Texas Tech West Virginia
Tulsa

Meh, maybe I’ll watch a game when Texas has a bye, or if I’m in prison and nothing else is on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Boys, I can't help but feel a seismic shift in "who has hand."

When aggy was accepted into the SEC, I imagine the thinking was long these lines, " Ok boys, there is a recruiting rich environment in the State of Texas and we are not getting enough of them. There are a lot of television sets in Houston too. Let's go after them. 

So, they naturally look at aggy. And the SEC knows that aggy has not finished in the top 4 in football, basketball nor baseball since before the North Koreans poured over the 38th parallel. aggy has a massive inferiority complex and will be just the type of cuckold puppet we need. They won't challenge our national power programs and they will put the conference above their own needs. And... we can screw with Texas a little bit. And so .... aggy gets the invitation. And it works out exactly like the SEC thought it would.  aggy trumpets the conference, doesn't even win their own division, and they don't see that the SEC is humping their wife every time aggy goes out into the sheep fields.

With Texas ... there is a different narrative. Texas brings to the SEC a national brand. It bolsters the SEC's bankroll and makes negotiations with the SEC's Sith Lord and Master, the Mouse, a bit easier. BUT, for the mighty SEC there is a downside. Whereas, aggy wasn't much of a threat to go into Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia to poach recruits... we are... and will. After all, "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the Farm after they've seen Paree? (or Austin)" They are bringing the wealthiest and now, most successful athletic program into the SEC.

Undoubtedly, there have been talks about conference championship games rotating with some being played in Texas.... something the SEC did not even have to consider when the cuckold puppet joined.

As Japanese Admiral Yamamoto wrote in his diary, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant ... and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Texas is the new Sith Lord of the SEC... We'll be portrayed as a villain by the other teams in some form or fashion. Bring it, says I, but a lot of these hillbillies have chips on their shoulder and want to take it out on the rich kid. But you're right, the rest of the country will be opened up to Longhorn recruiting and coaching for that matter.

What i'm more interested in seeing is the evolution of the spread and how offenses in Texas high school might adapt if Texas begins to model itself more towards an SEC style.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I mean, maybe? But you're making a pretty big assumption there.  Back in the early 2000s, ABC moved the national game timeslot from 2:30 to 11 AM, for a reason.  Their research showed them there were actually more eyeballs for the early games.  By the afternoon, part of their audience had to get on with honey-dos or whatever else they had going on for the weekend.

And they've kept their national game at 11 AM for the two decades since.

It's possible things have changed, but if so I would have expected them to switch up their timeslots again.  CBS clearly didn't take the same position, but they probably also figured that their marquee SEC games were going to get the eyeballs anyway.  And they're probably right about that.  Which means ABC can put the games whenever they want, and the audience will still be there.

Yes, CBS is out and ABC in, for SEC Tier1.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/10/sec-espn-abc-tv-contract-leaving-cbs

So Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson to ABC?   

We fucked things up GOOD!    LMAO!

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

my beef with 11am games, at least the past decade, is that i drown my football sorrows, so i'm drunk as shit by 2pm, passed out by 3, and hungover with a massive headache by 6pm on a saturday night! 

one of the Maryland games...my niece decided to 'drop in' unexpectedly at about 2:30pm...and found me naked in the pool unable to talk without slurring and i couldnt even explain why 😄

not my finest moment as her stalwart role model aunt 😳😜

Terrific post.

Some of the olds I know like the 11 am games. Get our game over with and get on with the rest of their Saturday. It seems like a joyless affair. Everybody else hates 11 am games. 

Does anybody have figures on the most 11 am games played since the Fox Big Noon Kickoff started? It feels like tOSU rountinely plays in that time slot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

West East
Baylor Cincinnati
Houston East Carolina
Iowa State Memphis
Kansas Navy
Kansas State Temple
Oklahoma State Tulane
SMU UCF
TCU USF
Texas Tech West Virginia
Tulsa

Add Texas St. and that would be the Party in the USA conference

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

West East
Baylor Cincinnati
Houston East Carolina
Iowa State Memphis
Kansas Navy
Kansas State Temple
Oklahoma State Tulane
SMU UCF
TCU USF
Texas Tech West Virginia
Tulsa

That's a perfect conference if TBS wants to get back into the college football game.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Nobody wants UConn football to be Division 1, I doubt UConn itself wants to be D1. I don't think that will happen. I'd bet they don't last long as a D1 Indy program, unless they look something like the MAC. Otherwise, time to deemphasize the program. It's too expensive to just go out and get clobbered each week. This year they are scheduled to play Fresno, Purdue, Army, Vandy, Middle Tennessee, Clemson, UCF and Houston. I don't see much success there. 

It's a basketball school.

I have no idea what to expect with WVU and the ACC. One part of me wants them in, another part wants nothing to do with them.

You guys had an awesome rivalry, no idea why you wouldn't want them in. They have been really good conference mates in the B12, fun fans, fun games, and they are a state school with quality programs across the board. I think it is a no brainer that the ACC grabs them. 

my beef with 11am games, at least the past decade, is that i drown my football sorrows, so i'm drunk as shit by 2pm, passed out by 3, and hungover with a massive headache by 6pm on a saturday night! 

one of the Maryland games...my niece decided to 'drop in' unexpectedly at about 2:30pm...and found me naked in the pool unable to talk without slurring and i couldnt even explain why 😄

I hope we don't express too much displeasure, or some sick network mook may decide to "invent" 9am (Central) games and park us there. 

Edited by BachelorTrek

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

That's a perfect conference if TBS wants to get back into the college football game.

I’d watch if the games started at 10pm and featured commercials for Quest Personals, LeafGuard Gutters, and Optima Tax Relief. Love that shit… when properly drunk. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
Drunk part.
  • Hook 'Em 2

You have just become my favorite poster. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Terrific post.

Some of the olds I know like the 11 am games. Get our game over with and get on with the rest of their Saturday. It seems like a joyless affair. Everybody else hates 11 am games. 

Does anybody have figures on the most 11 am games played since the Fox Big Noon Kickoff started? It feels like tOSU rountinely plays in that time slot. 

I saw a Tweet linked that showed all the 11AM kickoffs for Big 12 teams. I think OU topped the list with 40-something. It's probably in this thread but good luck finding it.

2 hours ago, n64ra said:

Give me the phone number to SportsCenter, and I will call in to do just that. Here I'm thinking, "Wow, Texas is about to play in the same conference as it's three biggest rivals for the first time since *checks google* 1919!" Meanwhile, the "expert" is telling us Texas is losing it's rivalry to, uh Kansas State? West Virginia?

While on campus I had a friend who called ESPN in Bristol after a segment and asked for Lee Corso and Lee picked up the phone and BS'd with him off the air. Legend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the NFL effectively killed off the CFB Thursday Night game. The old Big East Thursday Night games were a lot of fun. I remember watching a lot of Rutgers games in 2006. 

That's only because they were good under Greg Schiano and they had Ray Rice.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

So we have 366 days to blow it up so we can start membership August 1, 2022.
Let's blow this fucking conference to bits and Sark, Elliot, Vic, Beard, Reese, Pierce, etc. need to win it on their way out. 
I have a feeling a few assholios are going to do everything they possibly can to drag this thing out 367 days. I say fuck em, put the gotdam SEC logo on the field as soon as the '21 regular season is over.

26 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Texas is the new Sith Lord of the SEC... We'll be portrayed as a villain by the other teams in some form or fashion. Bring it, says I, but a lot of these hillbillies have chips on their shoulder and want to take it out on the rich kid. But you're right, the rest of the country will be opened up to Longhorn recruiting and coaching for that matter.

What i'm more interested in seeing is the evolution of the spread and how offenses in Texas high school might adapt if Texas begins to model itself more towards an SEC style.

we're getting aggy back, we're getting pig back, we'll start some shit with LSU, we're keeping oklahoma. And we're losing games with teams who we don't care about but hate our guts. Tech is the closest one to a rivalry and man I was taken back the first time I realized the delta between my give a shit and theirs. I don't give a shit about half the teams in the SEC either but I'd love to be the sith lord to the johnny rebel alliance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

Pics aren’t loading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

not so fast!
9732476.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,offset-y0.50&width=1200&height=630
Jesus Christ this season will be a shit show. Not only will the Big12 refs be putting a new coach in his place, the dumb motherfuckers will hose us in spite of basically auditioning for SEC jobs on camera..or more like CUSA where they belong.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

we're getting aggy back, we're getting pig back, we'll start some shit with LSU, we're keeping oklahoma.

Yessssssssssssssssssssirrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

I mean seriously, how old a coot do you have to be to have been an adult while we had all 3 of the big rivalries going at once? It's awesome. The little piggies and farmers tried to escape us spanking their little asses for fun and they locked themselves up in a house and the owners of the house let us right in.

vs Arky: 55-22
vs A&M: 76-37
vs OU: 62-49

We're back, bitches, ARE YOU GLAD TO SEE US!?!?!?!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ousux said:
5 hours ago, Zeus said:
not so fast!
9732476.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,offset-y0.50&width=1200&height=630

Jesus Christ this season will be a shit show. Not only will the Big12 refs be putting a new coach in his place, the dumb motherfuckers will hose us in spite of basically auditioning for SEC jobs on camera..or more like CUSA where they belong.

Pretty much our only hope is if the SEC tells the fuckfaces to play it straight or we're torpedoing your job into the AAC 
Otherwise expect 2015 OSU every game 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 2