Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Watch OU reject the invitation. Won't happen, but if it's taking this long to decide I wouldn't be surprised if they have some doubts. 
Absolutely no way they can stay now, bridges have been burned, and Bowlsby burned down the entire Big12 village when he threatened ESPN.

They may be worried about being able to afford to leave and play in the '22 SEC season..if so we should tote the note, with appropriate predatory interest rates of course.

Reflecting on aggy I decided to put on my tinfoil hat and say that this was all contrived knowing them

Sankey: "John, we have been approached by Texas and Oklahoma with an expression of interest in joining the SEC, they are serious this time and the idea of them joining has been warmly received by every other SEC official I have talked with.  How are you all going to respond, are we going to have a problem John?"

Sharp: "How are we going to respond?  How are we going to respond?  Greg, have you seen my fucking fanbase?  They may be passionate, they may have tradition, but they are a bunch of fucking retards.  They're going to scream and cry and shit themselves.  They will be calling media, legislators, lawyers, everybody they can to try to stop this.  It's going to be a shitshow of the highest order."

Sankey: "This is not stopping John, not at all.  I know it and you know it.  You have three days."

Sharp:  "Three days for what?"

Sankey: "To grive John....to grieve.  Put it out in the press that it's happening, I don't care where I don't care how but after that you have three days to get it all out.  You can scream, cry, jump out of buildings....I don't give a shit; but in three days it stops and you all fall in line.  Put that little shit Looch on it."

Sharp: "Yes sir"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Terrific post.

Some of the olds I know like the 11 am games. Get our game over with and get on with the rest of their Saturday. It seems like a joyless affair. Everybody else hates 11 am games. 

Does anybody have figures on the most 11 am games played since the Fox Big Noon Kickoff started? It feels like tOSU rountinely plays in that time slot. 

Where they play, it’s a noon kickoff. 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I saw something else from odb this week where they compared U of Texas with the nazis. I don't get their point at all. Above they allude to their dismay for the fall of the reichstag. Poor rapelor.

Edited by Chopper

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the NFL effectively killed off the CFB Thursday Night game. The old Big East Thursday Night games were a lot of fun. I remember watching a lot of Rutgers games in 2006. 

I miss the SEC Thursday night game. A lot of times it was not the lower tier teams. It was fun to be the only game in town and freed up the weekend. Also you could start drinking on Thursday night

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

we’re gonna smile, put our arms around each other’s neck and make nice while people are watching because that’s how it works. 
Then we’re going to try and fuck OUs girlfriend.

Girlfriend?  That's his SISTER! 

But, ok....

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if Beard continues what he is doing he wins his first year

i think it will take sark 4 to 5 years, depending on the scheduling

Baseball could be year 1 or year 10, too many good teams

in baseball winning the league may be harder than winning in omaha

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bqy1wa5kuf36x7o74i98

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Lots of my family went to Tech. They are not happy. But honestly, it is the uncertainty of not knowing what conference/schedule etc…not one of them was happy with Leach being fired.

But the vast majority of my family went to UT so…while I know they aren’t happy they aren’t saying exactly how they feel (to me at least.) 

6BAF4818-2FE0-4F9F-873B-0F6740564887.gif

I'm in the same boat.  My family is split between Tech and Texas alums.

I haven't really talked with the Tech alum family members much about this, but they are usually pretty bitter toward Texas when it comes to athletics anyway, so I doubt this will change anything.  Nothing good can come of even bringing it up with them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

What brand out there other than Norte Dame can’t he bring? None, so do nothing, which is what our commissioner did and look at how he’s being viewed by the world.  If the ACC does nothing they are dumb.

The ACC hasn’t expanded with any school worth a damn since Miami and VT in 2004.

Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt were taken for markets under the old TV money plan for the same reason the B1G took Rutger and Maryland.

They wised up and grabbed Louisville after Maryland left.  Louisville was a good FOOTBALL school, many people expected them to grab UConn as they matched the profile of the above schools: big market, good academics, and basketball.

Louisville (while still good at basketball) broke this mold and none of the other schools are ones that are increasing their TV money, because despite the ACC’s affection for roundball it’s football that’s driving the bus and the only school out there that helps football for the ACC is Norte Dame and West Virginia.

If they sit and do nothing the they look weak and it immediately puts a target on its back.  By adding West Virginia you look strong and move into the too big to fail category which currently doesn’t not apply to the Big12 or PAC12.

By adding WVU, you look desperate. “Hey guys, I got WVU!  Our tv rights will increase by an additional $5 million per school!”

To me, it’s not just adding an additional school just to add one.  It’s adding one that has value that’s going to increase $$$ per school because now you have an additional mouth to feed.  WVU just doesn’t get Disney to shell out the dollars like it’s going to for the SEC and Big10. 

We don’t agree here and that’s fine.  You owe me a bourbon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

And I disagree with this.  The ACC is already behind as it relates to money per school compared to the Big 10 and the SEC.  Disney isn’t going to pay the ACC the money the Big 10 or SEC is making per school just because they added WVU.  With Texas and OU, the SEC could make damn near $70 million per school.  Right now the ACC schools make what $35 million each?  You think adding WVU is going to get them anywhere close to $60-70 million per school?  

The ACC needs brands—not just holes to fill. If the ACC added WVU and UConn, they would be realigning just because everyone else is, not because those brands bring them more Disney money, which is what they are after. The ACC can go bold with adding brands to its conference that will increase $$$ per school, but adding WV ain’t it.  If it was, they would have been ACC bound the last realignment instead of Syracuse. 

So, short of poaching B1G or SEC members (not gonna happen - less money) - then the only other option for the ACC is to stand pat.  There are no other big brands out there, waiting to be tapped by the ACC.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

You guys had an awesome rivalry, no idea why you wouldn't want them in. They have been really good conference mates in the B12, fun fans, fun games, and they are a state school with quality programs across the board. I think it is a no brainer that the ACC grabs them. 

Eh, fun fans is up for debate. It depends whom they are playing.

I said many, many pages back that I was told by a friend who played for WVU that one of the ADs, I won't say the name, told him that the ACC told WVU that their behavior would keep them out of the ACC.

Does that mentality still hold sway in today's changing landscape? I don't know. I did say that part of me wanted them in, and part of me did not. I've gotten used to not playing them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I slapped on my tinfoil conspiracy theory hat about the "texas/OUsux to the SECx3" leak 

I think Texas leaked it. To aggy. Because they knew aggy would aggy in front of the whole country. And they did. 

If so, that would make them useful idiots.  Which is an improvement for them.

2 hours ago, iamjethro said:

I would have to think that realistically, baseball is where Texas can be immediately in the mix.  It seems baseball can spin on a year's notice anyway, and Texas already has a good team.  But, as said above, almost all of the teams in the SEC can brag on baseball teams.  It is the best of the best.

Basketball may show success early as quick turnaround teams with portal, etc.  Beard is a good coach, but SEC is underrated most years.  The Big12-SEC challenge should show it is solid without the fanfare other leagues get.  We have been seen as an "athletic" league.  But look at Kentucky on most years, Arkansas (who beat Beard in the tourney this year), LSU with their talent, Alabama  if they can sustain what they did this year, Florida usually, and a few others, it is not necessarily a given for Texas to come in an be great immediately.

Football.  I believe Texas will be ok, at least eventually, but will need to shore up recruiting on offensive and defensive lines.  However, you hired a coach who has seen what the program needs to be built for sec success.   Just depends on if he can do what he knows needs to be done.

Yep.  Texas hung with the eventual national champion (from the SEC) in baseball this year, so I feel like they will be competitive right away there.

Beard is a good coach who has been recruiting like crazy, and I think there is a very high probability of near-term success there.

Football will be more of a project, but being able to sell SEC to potential recruits to keep them away from aggy will only help us.  Sark worked with Saban and hopefully picked up skills on how to run a tight ship.  It will just depends on how well he can execute here.

4 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I slapped on my tinfoil conspiracy theory hat about the "texas/OUsux to the SECx3" leak 

I think Texas leaked it. To aggy. Because they knew aggy would aggy in front of the whole country. And they did. 

If we did, we should leak that, too, so aggy can aggy some more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, orangebird said:

So, short of poaching B1G or SEC members (not gonna happen - less money) - then the only other option for the ACC is to stand pat.  There are no other big brands out there, waiting to be tapped by the ACC.

Most ACC insiders are saying that’s their best option.  They can do something crazy nuts like go get the 4 Pac12 schools before the Big10 does and try something out of the box, which some sports guys are saying that’s what they should do instead of adding WVU.  I was listening to a CFB podcast on Sunday and an ACC guy (forgot his name) basically said he’s hearing that splitting the pie with another school that isn’t going to bring you SEC/Big10 type money isn’t going over well with ACC folks.  They are questioning why expand if we aren’t going to get a brand (Texas/OU) that will get us that type of money?

Hell, even WVU fans don’t think they are on the ACC radar because of the ACC telling them “thanks but no thanks” before.  That doesn’t mean they can’t get an invite, but I don’t think the probability is very high (it’s there—not high).

10 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I have no problem believing this. I fuck with the aggy in my personal life much the same way. 

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they do, because IT"S FUCKING NOON IN THE EASTERN TIME ZONE.

zero big-name games with 2 helmet schools kick at 11am local time OTHER THAN THE GAME IN FAIR PARK

18 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

He’s changed Aggy’s story a few times, but Looch has said as much. 

30 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they do, because IT"S FUCKING NOON IN THE EASTERN TIME ZONE.

zero big-name games with 2 helmet schools kick at 11am local time OTHER THAN THE GAME IN FAIR PARK

https://www.wxyz.com/sports/kickoff-time-tv-set-for-2021-ohio-state-michigan-game

Posted at 3:24 PM, May 14, 2021

(WXYZ) -- The Big Ten has announced details for the Ohio State vs. Michigan game on Saturday, November 27.

The 117th edition of the rivalry, known simply as "The Game," will kick off at Noon and be televised by FOX, which has aired the game each year since 2017.

24 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Eh, fun fans is up for debate. It depends whom they are playing.

I said many, many pages back that I was told by a friend who played for WVU that one of the ADs, I won't say the name, told him that the ACC told WVU that their behavior would keep them out of the ACC.

I think a lot of people, especially the younger generation, are unaware of the crap WV fans used to pull in Morgantown.  I remember incidents making the national news.

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.   Breakfast tailgating isn’t fun if you can make one at all.  Beer doesn’t go well with huevos rancheros.       

If you can't cook breakfast, take out an order from someplace, or even breakfast tacos, plus add-ons/fixins' isn't hard --- then add your hard liquor and you have a start. 

5 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Everybody loves money more than they hate us.  And thats saying something.  Nobody pisses, moans, and bitches about everything Texas does more than baylor.  Now they are pissing, moaning, and bitching about not having us.  One baylor posted apparently thinks that since UT is taxpayer supported, it is their responsibility to make sure the waco economy thrives and baylor has a seat at the big boy table.  One even denied politics got them in the B12 in the first place.  As funny as aggy has been this week, baylor is just.....well.....sad.  Fuck'em.

FFFUUUCCCKKK Baylor, Art Briles, and all of that shithole Waco.

• Hook 'Em 3