Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Most ACC insiders are saying that’s their best option.  They can do something crazy nuts like go get the 4 Pac12 schools before the Big10 does and try something out of the box, which some sports guys are saying that’s what they should do instead of adding WVU.  I was listening to a CFB podcast on Sunday and an ACC guy (forgot his name) basically said he’s hearing that splitting the pie with another school that isn’t going to bring you SEC/Big10 type money isn’t going over well with ACC folks.  They are questioning why expand if we aren’t going to get a brand (Texas/OU) that will get us that type of money?

Hell, even WVU fans don’t think they are on the ACC radar because of the ACC telling them “thanks but no thanks” before.  That doesn’t mean they can’t get an invite, but I don’t think the probability is very high (it’s there—not high).

I posted an article earlier today claiming TCU might (though not necessarily likely) be a surprise option for the Pac, and one of the reasons given was, 'Their willingness to be flexible'.  Not sure what that could mean other than from a financial standpoint, as in taking a lesser payout than the rest of the league.  With the way their donors stepped up to pay for the stadium upgrades and avoid debt, I can see them being able to afford to move cheap in order to stay in a P4 conference.

Earlier this week the former head of ESPN said that even after cord cutting, getting a footprint in a new state is a significant money boost for any conference with a channel.  So a Texas school would be a big addition in that regard if the Pac reworks their channel.  Incremental revenue to close the gap.  Same for the ACC, which helps ESPN.  Maybe other side benefits like recruiting.

Not sure the ACC would swallow their pride like they did with Louisville and look the other way on Tech's academic standing.  But TCU and Baylor, while not AAU, seem to rank pretty good.  And of course Baylor would be a big basketball addition.  That's another thing that the ESPN ex-boss said, that while basketball only is about 20% of the revenue is most conferences, it's closer to 35% for the ACC, and thus Kansas might make sense for them.

So the ACC might have some B12 options, especially if unequal revenue sharing is considered.    

Just now, Gatorubet said:

Fuck off Sips!

(Did I do that right - or should I misspell 2 of the 3 words to honor Aggy?)

If I were you, I wouldn't want to be associated with the ags in any way.  You should come up with your own hateful name for us.  Something pithy and mean, but also classy like a tuxedo t-shirt.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gatorubet said:

Fuck off Sips!

(Did I do that right - or should I misspell 2 of the 3 words to honor Aggy?)

Actually, it has no meaning when you non-aggy people do it. 

It's up to you if you want to be laughed at for doing aggy things. None of the IR8 nor old SWC high-schoolers ever even did it.

Email from UT President Jay Hartzell.  Someone needs to educate him that there is no such thing as "Texas Aggies."

Dear Longhorn Nation,
I am sure many of you have been inundated with news and speculation about the future of UT athletics throughout this long week. While I wanted to address the stories sooner than now, I needed to wait for our Board of Regents to weigh in on any conference actions. Today, our Board of Regents met and gave unanimous approval for one of the most monumental moves in our storied history. I am thrilled. It’s official! The University of Texas at Austin will be joining the Southeastern Conference in 2025.

Throughout the week, you have probably heard references to the “changing landscape of collegiate athletics.” Recognizing this reality, and with a commitment to position the university’s tradition of athletics excellence for generations to come, Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife, Athletics Director Chris Del Conte and I made the decision to look beyond the expiration of our current media rights contract with the Big 12. We asked the SEC to consider allowing our historic programs to compete in their unmatched conference. We are honored and grateful that they welcomed us.

During the past quarter of a century, we have enjoyed so many memorable moments in the Big 12.  Our players, coaches, and alumni will be forever grateful for the fierce competition and glorious championship moments we experienced with our conference peers. 

Looking ahead, I know many will be most excited about the return of time-honored rivalries with the Texas Aggies and the Arkansas Razorbacks, historic series that have given us some of our most exhilarating athletics moments. We will also be able to continue our rivalry with the University of Oklahoma, another key benefit to this transition. 

As our Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte explained, “This will be the best move for our student athletes, as they will be competing on the finest stage in collegiate sports. It will allow them to play in the best time slots on the largest television networks, give them unmatched visibility and prepare them for a potential future in sports beyond UT.” 

For now, our programs will focus on competing and winning in the Big 12. When our current contract expires, we will make the transition to the SEC, and I am confident that the level of competition we face in every sport will further inspire all of our sports teams to perform and compete at the highest level. I extend a debt of gratitude to the SEC and to you, Longhorn Nation, as we celebrate some of the most exciting news ever announced from these Forty Acres. Our most exciting sports memories are ahead of us.

Hook 'em,
Signature for Jay Hartzell
Jay Hartzell
President

• Rage+1 3

This site, being what is is due to uh…little to no filtering should begin to blow the fuck up going forward with more eyes on it than ever before. I for one am looking forward to seeing the influx of what I anticipate to be new bars set for irreverence and douchiness that may never be replicated. SEC Rant and Tiger Droppings about to go tier 2. What starts at Surly changes the world.

Edited by Wishbone
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

My bet is Texas and OU will be accepted by SEC fans, except for aggy, because neither needs to prove themselves which will make aggy the odd man out that will only feed their inferiority complex.

aggy will go full-aggy-conspiracy on SEC now...... just like they did when aggy hired Emory Bellard away from Texas in '72 as their head football coach. 

Even when aggy BEAT TEXAS with Bellard leading them, aggy was still convinced he was some kind manchurian-candidate plant by Texas to destroy them from within. They finally ran him off mid-season in '78, and enter the Tom Wilson dumpster-fire. 

Any success Texas has in the SEC, aggy will blame the SEC for, because this is aggy's (furk!) nature.

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Email from UT President Jay Hartzell.  Someone needs to educate him that there is no such thing as "Texas Aggies."

Dear Longhorn Nation,
I am sure many of you have been inundated with news and speculation about the future of UT athletics throughout this long week. While I wanted to address the stories sooner than now, I needed to wait for our Board of Regents to weigh in on any conference actions. Today, our Board of Regents met and gave unanimous approval for one of the most monumental moves in our storied history. I am thrilled. It’s official! The University of Texas at Austin will be joining the Southeastern Conference in 2025.

Throughout the week, you have probably heard references to the “changing landscape of collegiate athletics.” Recognizing this reality, and with a commitment to position the university’s tradition of athletics excellence for generations to come, Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife, Athletics Director Chris Del Conte and I made the decision to look beyond the expiration of our current media rights contract with the Big 12. We asked the SEC to consider allowing our historic programs to compete in their unmatched conference. We are honored and grateful that they welcomed us.

During the past quarter of a century, we have enjoyed so many memorable moments in the Big 12.  Our players, coaches, and alumni will be forever grateful for the fierce competition and glorious championship moments we experienced with our conference peers. 

Looking ahead, I know many will be most excited about the return of time-honored rivalries with the Texas Aggies and the Arkansas Razorbacks, historic series that have given us some of our most exhilarating athletics moments. We will also be able to continue our rivalry with the University of Oklahoma, another key benefit to this transition. 

As our Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte explained, “This will be the best move for our student athletes, as they will be competing on the finest stage in collegiate sports. It will allow them to play in the best time slots on the largest television networks, give them unmatched visibility and prepare them for a potential future in sports beyond UT.” 

For now, our programs will focus on competing and winning in the Big 12. When our current contract expires, we will make the transition to the SEC, and I am confident that the level of competition we face in every sport will further inspire all of our sports teams to perform and compete at the highest level. I extend a debt of gratitude to the SEC and to you, Longhorn Nation, as we celebrate some of the most exciting news ever announced from these Forty Acres. Our most exciting sports memories are ahead of us.

Hook 'em,
Signature for Jay Hartzell
Jay Hartzell
President

“This will be the best move for our student athletes, as they will be competing on the finest stage in collegiate sports. It will allow them to play in the best time slots on the largest television networks, give them unmatched visibility and prepare them for a potential future in sports beyond UT.” 

This makes it clear the role NIL played in this.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Don't have time to read the whole thread.  Is this really not happening until 2025??

3 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Official: Yes

Reality: No

I'm guessing the SEC is accepting for 2025 so as not to be accused of tampering with the current B12 contract.  Then when UT and ou pay the buyout and become available in 2022, the SEC will be like, "Well what a pleasant surprise that you're available earlier than anticipated!"

More or less?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This site, being what is is due to uh…little to no filtering should begin to blow the fuck up going forward with more eyes on it than ever before. I for one am looking forward to seeing the influx of what I anticipate to be new bars set for irreverence and douchiness that may never be replicated. SEC Rant and Tiger Droppings about to go tier 2. What starts at Surly changes the world.

Can we make negs count double for people with less than 100 posts?  We are generally pretty accepting of people who want to talk shit, but just plain trolls get identified pretty quick

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

I miss the SEC Thursday night game. A lot of times it was not the lower tier teams. It was fun to be the only game in town and freed up the weekend. Also you could start drinking on Thursday night

I loved Thursday night football. Watching Oregon State beat #1 USC on a Thursday night in 2008

• Hook 'Em 1

Where do Sam Ehlinger and Colt McCoy rank among all time passers in the SEC?

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-sec-all-time-passing-leaders-colt-mccoy-sam-ehlinger-aaron-murray-quarterback-expansion-vote/

#5 Sam Ehlinger

#1 Colt McCoy

For reference: Peyton Manning is #7 

They didn't look at OU QBs because it is the longhornswire...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, orangebird said:

It's the "no publicity is bad publicity" angle.  The Spaceman knows he will generate hate clicks ($$$ from advertisers) every time he writes something stupid, particularly when it comes to Texas.

I don't know. That only goes so far with people actually interested in sports coverage. I can get shit posts for free on the internet, I want sports people who actually know what they are talking about to clue me in on what's going on. Saying something obviously idiotic and false like this is driven by Texas not finishing higher than Iowa State last season is not making me click on his shit. What actually happens on the football field is only about 20% of this, if it was higher then Boise State would be in a major conference. Did Baylor and Tech making those big runs in the NCAA tournament suddenly make them hot commodities? No. It is not about success in sports. This is business.

But I guess it obviously works for lots of people who are not interested in knowing about sports just paying to read dumbasses who don't know shit saying nonsense. The $9.95 sites make money for a reason. I can just read my own posts for free on Surly and save money.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

I spent some time over at sec rant today. Most of their shit right now is aggy stirring up hate for Texas. One of the main things that rant is looking forward to, like a kid on Christmas morning, is the “can’t wait to do the horns down, that’s really going to piss those sips off”. 

Anyway, when a bull is ready to beat the shit out of someone, it puts its horns down and kicks ass. When need to adopt this attitude also. We just took everything away from aggy as “sec sec sec” was all they had. Let’s take “horns down” away from these A-Holes also. 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

What brand out there other than Norte Dame can’t he bring? None, so do nothing, which is what our commissioner did and look at how he’s being viewed by the world.  If the ACC does nothing they are dumb.

The ACC hasn’t expanded with any school worth a damn since Miami and VT in 2004.

Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt were taken for markets under the old TV money plan for the same reason the B1G took Rutger and Maryland.

They wised up and grabbed Louisville after Maryland left.  Louisville was a good FOOTBALL school, many people expected them to grab UConn as they matched the profile of the above schools: big market, good academics, and basketball.

Louisville (while still good at basketball) broke this mold and none of the other schools are ones that are increasing their TV money, because despite the ACC’s affection for roundball it’s football that’s driving the bus and the only school out there that helps football for the ACC is Norte Dame and West Virginia.

If they sit and do nothing the they look weak and it immediately puts a target on its back.  By adding West Virginia you look strong and move into the too big to fail category which currently doesn’t not apply to the Big12 or PAC12.

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

So, short of poaching B1G or SEC members (not gonna happen - less money) - then the only other option for the ACC is to stand pat.  There are no other big brands out there, waiting to be tapped by the ACC.

And I fully recognize i could be 100% wrong.  I just personally don't see the value when it comes to $$$ and WV to the ACC.  There's some scuttle going on on their message board about being invited or leaving in 2 weeks and the ACC is the location.  Why 2 weeks, I don't know.  Who knows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Where do Sam Ehlinger and Colt McCoy rank among all time passers in the SEC?

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-sec-all-time-passing-leaders-colt-mccoy-sam-ehlinger-aaron-murray-quarterback-expansion-vote/

#5 Sam Ehlinger

#1 Colt McCoy

For reference: Peyton Manning is #7 

They didn't look at OU QBs because it is the longhornswire...

That's not that surprising. I seem to remember SEC folk from that past calling the Big12 a 7-on-7 league, blah, blah.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

And I fully recognize i could be 100% wrong.  I just personally don't see the value when it comes to $$$ and WV to the ACC.  There's some scuttle going on on their message board about being invited or leaving in 2 weeks and the ACC is the location.  Why 2 weeks, I don't know.  Who knows. 

I mean the whole reason they ended up in the Big 12 to begin with was because the ACC didn't want them. I am not sure what has changed since then.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bc it’s always 2 weeks or on a Tuesday, duh. image.gif.5e1e5128ba8df2210e4b9337a304c794.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I posted an article earlier today claiming TCU might (though not necessarily likely) be a surprise option for the Pac, and one of the reasons given was, 'Their willingness to be flexible'.  Not sure what that could mean other than from a financial standpoint, as in taking a lesser payout than the rest of the league.  With the way their donors stepped up to pay for the stadium upgrades and avoid debt, I can see them being able to afford to move cheap in order to stay in a P4 conference.
Earlier this week the former head of ESPN said that even after cord cutting, getting a footprint in a new state is a significant money boost for any conference with a channel.  So a Texas school would be a big addition in that regard if the Pac reworks their channel.  Incremental revenue to close the gap.  Same for the ACC, which helps ESPN.  Maybe other side benefits like recruiting.
Not sure the ACC would swallow their pride like they did with Louisville and look the other way on Tech's academic standing.  But TCU and Baylor, while not AAU, seem to rank pretty good.  And of course Baylor would be a big basketball addition.  That's another thing that the ESPN ex-boss said, that while basketball only is about 20% of the revenue is most conferences, it's closer to 35% for the ACC, and thus Kansas might make sense for them.
So the ACC might have some B12 options, especially if unequal revenue sharing is considered.    
Ahh shit. The flexible thing reminded me of one thing I'll miss about froggy...their Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders farm team. Of course I only live a few minutes away from Amon Carter..and good seats will be easier to come by these days.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean the whole reason they ended up in the Big 12 to begin with was because the ACC didn't want them. I am not sure what has changed since then.

I agree.

They have Gee now (who got aggy into the SEC) so he’s probably in his office right now writing the ACC like:

giphy.gif