Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Maybe Gundy should've mixed in a few more wins in his time against OU to make them more appealing to other conferences. It's pathetic that Charlie Strong  had the same amount of wins and Tom Herman had more than Gundy against OU in the same time periods. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Long ago I took a cab somewhere for some reason in  Ft. Smith arkansas and the cab driver was just ranting about how all the Okies came to Arkansas "acting all high and mighty" and just "lording it over us folks from Arkansas" and I just sat their dumbfounded thinking this was like a pissing match of the local extras from Deliverance.

You stray off the main roads in several parts of SEC country and you'll find out pretty damn quick that Deliverance was a documentary. 

• Haha 1

I feel a little bad for Okie State.  They’re as good as they’re going to be in most sports but they have a small fan base and outside of OK, no one really cares.  They could win the title and still get worse ratings than a bad helmet team. 

However, they got some free pub with that Stillwater movie.  I kept waiting for Matt Damon to say while in France “Now wait a minute.  OU is SEC now and we’re stuck in the Big 12?”

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Constant said:

OU supposed to sink to the bottom of the ocean with a team it has a 90-18-7 record with because “its the right thing to do.” Fuck those losers let them figure shit out for themselves for once. 

I'm just glad Oklahoma gets to deal with 1/4th the hangers-on issues. All of it is stupid but welcome to the club. 

4 hours ago, runthebone said:

Arkansas absolutely fucking hates us. 

Haha.  Fuckers.

Yeah December 6th, 1969 🤘

image.png.e3070e0d9f5815550f9d1672b6390542.png

Also this loss was brutal for Arky -- they still haven't won it all in Omaha.  They HATE all of our CHAMPIONSHIPS in baseball too...

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus Christ, fuck off, Gottlieb.  

Why does ou need Okie Lite to make themselves more viable as a pair to the Pac, B1G, or ACC when ou is already into the SEC?

This is like Tech arguing that UT somehow needs them.  No, we don't.  Sorry about your feelings.  

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if Gottlieb uses his own credit card these days.

Fwiw - Gottlieb went to Notre Dame.  He stole a classmate's credit card and made numerous purchases.  He transferred to Golden West College (CC in Huntington Beach, CA) and then to OSU.  

He occasionally has interesting perspectives on basketball, etc., but when he starts to talk about loyalty, responsibility, business, etc., it's comical.  

Sure, no one is the person he/she was at 20, but Gottlieb has made so many horrible public statements over time that it seems that he lacks the proper perspective or humility for the job he has.

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Constant said:

OU supposed to sink to the bottom of the ocean with a team it has a 90-18-7 record with because “its the right thing to do.” Fuck those losers let them figure shit out for themselves for once. 

Welcome to being Texas for the past 40 years.  Now imagine you have 7 little brothers instead of just the one.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm just glad Oklahoma gets to deal with 1/4th the hangers-on issues. All of it is stupid but welcome to the club. 

Yup.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it just chaps the asses of oSu fans that OU chose Texas over oSu. They should've known that was always going to be the case. If OU was forced to chose one game they could only have each year, Texas/OU or Bedlam, OU would chose Texas OU every time. 

Their last best hope was the Pac 16 and that all went in the toilet because the Pac 12 started sucking when USC wasn't that good. If Oregon or Washington could've pulled their weight and won something, the Pac 16 would've been more viable. I know we hate Stoops here but he had a great point on Fox Sports Big Noon preseason show when asked why OU would make this move when they own the Big 12. He said it was all about maximizing OU's brand and not losing out on a spot later if say Clemson and Florida State were picked by the SEC because Texas or OU didn't want to make the move. They only thing I think you can fault Texas and OU on is timing but neither was signing on for the Big 12 beyond the initial deal. When that TV deal wasn't going to be looked at again, combined with NIL and the SEC winning at everything, it was pretty much sealed. 

So whatever, blame us. Blame OU. Blame what college football has become. Blame that you aren't what the Big 4 conferences want if Texas and OU are not going there with you. It's a shitty and harsh reality. I do get a sense of amusement with how many people are scoffing at Texas going to the SEC and being wanted by the SEC given how mediocre we've been. Exactly. We're still pretty damn desirous to those conferences and we've sucked for 10 years. Imagine how desirous we'd be if we actually could win something. I hope oSu lands on their feet somewhere. I've always had a great time in Stillwater. They have passionate fans. I hope the Pac 12 gets forced to make a move by the restructured playoffs or Fox wanting more TV inventory. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

41 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Welcome to being Texas for the past 40 years.  Now imagine you have 7 little brothers instead of just the one.

Yup.

Yeah, I’m certainly not trying to compare situations. I just find the whole group pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

OSU, Tech, Iowa State, etc., are all going to be better off in an expanded Big 12 than they are now.  One or more of them are going to get the national perception bump that WVU got between 2005 and 2011 when the 'eers were dominating the depleted Big East.  The Big East conference brand sucked but winning in that conference created a perception bump for individual schools.  I remember all the media talk about WVU coming into the Big 12 and dominating. 

Some of those "other 8" are going to make the playoffs when they would not have made it with status quo.  It's not all going to be bad. 

And if the NCAA tournament gets replaced by "the Power 5 tournament" then, the Big 12 remnants are going to get a lot of lost football revenue back via the basketball court.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Deej said:

Some talking head just claimed the Texas/OU game now being an SEC game will put it on the map as a big rivalry game, for fuck’s sake.

there was an SECN hour show yesterday on Texas/0u and they portrayed Fair Park as an "unknown" to their audience and explained it's significance as "on par with the egg bowl, the iron bowl, and georgia/florida".....     not that it's not really actually about 10 times bigger than any of those games and only really equalled by michigan/ohiostate and usc/domer.....  it was the stupidity of not referring to The Cocktail Party as The Cocktail Party.....

in that same show they also had 2 heads whose names and faces i know but can't recall now 24 hours later talking about how this is the moment when college football creates a "premier league" of "18-24 teams that are prepared to compete in this new landscape" and then the "scholarship-based non-premier college football will continue to be it's own thing but separate from this new thing"........  europe was mentioned..... the prem itself was not mentioned.....

3 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

4e0152b2f079dbf40ec59faa387b679f.jpg

Blind Pig put up a couple of SEC flags.

mother of god

maggie mae's lives

Edited by Hagbard Celine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Constant said:

“Actually, if OU says no, OSU/OU are far more viable to the PAC 12, Big 10, ACC.”

How can this mother fucker be so dumb. This isn’t blind ignorance, it is a sheer lack of intelligence spewing from a mouthpiece with the IQ of a salad bar. 

If ou says no?

He wrote that tweet on 7-31-2021. 

On 7-30-2021 ou board voted to accept the invitation and join the sec. 

Day late, and at least $15mil short  

2 hours ago, Soonerpsycho said:

I'm guessing no one posted this.

217406203_4515437481802026_5572904654366262193_n.jpg

For a conference that has had so much success and therefore not lacking confidence they sure are lining up to play the victim card to mean ole Texas who’s football program has been down for a decade.   Come on SEC your better than that. Right??

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, statsman said:

The legend is that Oklahoma assistant Larry Lacewell was pissed about finding out about his boss, Switzer, banging his (Lacewell’s) wife, and that detracted from the Sooner prep and atmosphere. 

Sooner girl I worked with at KTRK back in the day claimed her parents bought the Lacewell’s house and found Polaroids of Ms. Lacewell and Barry Switzer - sans clothing - hidden away in an attic space. 
Amityville Horror shit right there

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I would assume by the end of this year.

I'm guessing we have a month or so of silence while everyone consults their lawyers and waits for the other to move first.  Then the rumors start and they actually start talking.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, my Arky father in law still talks about that game like they won the Super Bowl.  Never mind it was 43 years ago.

I remember it because I was sick with flu or strep-throat watching the game on a very small black-&-white TV, which is something you youngins have never seen and will never see (Who's gonna setup a digital signal adapter/cable-satellite-Net TV receiver for a B&W TV?).

if the Lacewell story was false, you'd think you'd see armies of piggy-Mobilhoma-Holtz-Switzer apologists denying it, but instead you hear their snickering, and then Mobilehoma gooners adding the wife was well-paid to go away afterwards.

10 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

OSU, Tech, Iowa State, etc., are all going to be better off in an expanded Big 12 than they are now.  One or more of them are going to get the national perception bump that WVU got between 2005 and 2011 when the 'eers were dominating the depleted Big East.  The Big East conference brand sucked but winning in that conference created a perception bump for individual schools.  I remember all the media talk about WVU coming into the Big 12 and dominating. 

Some of those "other 8" are going to make the playoffs when they would not have made it with status quo.  It's not all going to be bad. 

And if the NCAA tournament gets replaced by "the Power 5 tournament" then, the Big 12 remnants are going to get a lot of lost football revenue back via the basketball court.

You seem like a reasoned poster and your optimism is commendable, but any iteration of the Big 12 moving forward without Texas and Oklahoma will not get anywhere near the TV contract it currently has, perhaps by multiples, so the left behinds can’t possibly be in a better position than they are now from a financial standpoint.

The commissioner has just burned a bridge with the largest player (ESPN) and FOX (you mention them in many of your posts) will not make a bid next time for a diluted Big 12 (I know people, trust me). Will CBS bid? Who knows, but not at the current numbers. Streaming services seems far fetched. 

Expanded Big 12? Notre Dame ain’t walking thru that door. 

For a conference that has had so much success and therefore not lacking confidence they sure are lining up to play the victim card to mean ole Texas who’s football program has been down for a decade.   Come on SEC your better than that. Right??
Notice how aggy is nowwhere to be found in the "rational conversation" panel..

27 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

If the Power 5 becomes the Power 4, the Big 12 leftovers won’t be invited unless they get an invite from the B1G/PAC/ACC.

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You seem like a reasoned poster and your optimism is commendable, but any iteration of the Big 12 moving forward without Texas and Oklahoma will not get anywhere near the TV contract it currently has, perhaps by multiples, so the left behinds can’t possibly be in a better position than they are now from a financial standpoint.

The commissioner has just burned a bridge with the largest player (ESPN) and FOX (you mention them in many of your posts) will not make a bid next time for a diluted Big 12 (I know people, trust me). Will CBS bid? Who knows, but not at the current numbers. Streaming services seems far fetched. 

Maybe that fringe channel "Next Level" sports will pay them a grand each to show Saturday quadruple-headers starting at 8am.  Lulz.

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

About Arkansas.....

My wife (no pics assholes) got her master's degree from UT.  Her dad is an old SWC Arky fans so by default, he hates all things Texas and UT.  So, at the graduation, he wears a red shirt on purpose.  While they sang the Eyes of Texas, she looked up in the stands and saw one red dot in a sea of orange with his arms crossed while the rest of the crowd did the hook 'em horns sign.

The old Arkies absolutely hate UT and all things Texas.

6 hours ago, runthebone said:

Arkansas absolutely fucking hates us. 

Haha.  Fuckers.

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I can vouch for this. In my opinion the hate is even greater than aggy and OU.  With aggy there’s an element of envy and little brother syndrome and with OU an element of respect mixed with some jealousy. 

Pig just straight up hates us. 

Good. Fuck ‘em. Arkansas fucking blows and so do their fans. Love, love, LOVE Tony Jones ripping their hearts out. Bring the hate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I remember reading a book on Texas moving to the Big 12 written around 2005-ish, and it included a long chapter penned by Deloss Dodds where he said that he basically made his entire career from that move. He said that a good business man will see a shift like that as a way to super charge the program, basically take advantage of the turmoil.

I guess Aggy tried to do that early on, but never really accomplished anything. Here's hoping CDC is more like Dodds in that regard.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bedlam isn’t a rivalry. OU has won 80%+ of the games. That said, good for OU to keep it on their schedule. The enemy of my enemy is a friend. 

The SEC move is a better rivalry move for Texas than OU. Arkansas, OU, and Aggy fing hate us. This is completely lost on the national media.

Moving to the SEC with Texas is a better rivalry move for OU, too, than any other option. Their rivalry with Nebraska has been dead for 10 years and wasn't really all that hot shit for many decades early on, and OSU is their rival like Nebraska was Texas' rival -- gotta win every now and then for it to be an actual rivalry.

As a Longhorn, I value our rivalry with OU more than Aggy or Arkansas, and they feel the same way about us. Little regional spats like Texas-Aggy or OU-OSU are common everywhere in the sport, but Texas-OU is one of the corner stone matchups of the sport, along with Michigan-OU and ND-USC. It's neat getting to play Arky again, but all I care about is preserving the OU game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

It seems unlikely to me that Bowlsby would be as vocal about ESPN as he has been without some backing from FOX and the Big 12's remaining presidents.  It's a convenient narrative to turn the guy into Dan Beebe but I think the word that has best described the guy's tenure is "measured."  Arguably too much so.  But I'll take your word on knowing people.  I don't.  FOX not bidding on the Big 12 creates a pretty substantial inventory deficit as compared to status quo.  Maybe they fill that by owning 100% of the B1G?  Could be the plan.  Does the B1G really want to be completely alone on the FOX island?  I can't see that.  

Generally speaking though, the other 8 + 2 (Houston, Cincinnati) is an elite basketball conference and it's good in football.  The only true dead weight program for football is a basketball blue blood.  Nobody would expect to see nationally competitive media money for an expanded Big 12 but if value equates to payout, they should be able to get comfortably more than the American.  And like I said, if the NCAA tourney model changes, being an elite basketball conference could go some distance in offsetting lack of brand power in football.  

Edited by camel at sea
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

If the Power 5 becomes the Power 4, the Big 12 leftovers won’t be invited unless they get an invite from the B1G/PAC/ACC.

The Big 12 is already included in the Power 5 for governance purposes.  It's not an issue of being invited.  They're already in.  As for the tourney, two of last year's Final Four, including the champion, and one of the bluest of the blue bloods historically, is not being left out of the new men's basketball format.  Tech played in the most recent title game before that.  

The easiest way forward for all parties, assuming you can't convince PAC/ACC presidents to invite Big 12 schools, is to leave the Big 12 at the table.  They can have the worst seat at the table, mind you, but you avoid a lot of issues leaving them there.  

42 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Sooner girl I worked with at KTRK back in the day claimed her parents bought the Lacewell’s house and found Polaroids of Ms. Lacewell and Barry Switzer - sans clothing - hidden away in an attic space. 
Amityville Horror shit right there

5i7xuu.jpg

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Yeah we have stupid fans like that, but every fanbase has cool fans and idiotic fans. Even some A&M fans are cool. The SEC is hardly some bastion of rationality anyway. The lack of self awareness there is pretty weak. 

38 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

The Big 12 is already included in the Power 5 for governance purposes.  It's not an issue of being invited.  They're already in.  As for the tourney, two of last year's Final Four, including the champion, and one of the bluest of the blue bloods historically, is not being left out of the new men's basketball format.  Tech played in the most recent title game before that.  

The easiest way forward for all parties, assuming you can't convince PAC/ACC presidents to invite Big 12 schools, is to leave the Big 12 at the table.  They can have the worst seat at the table, mind you, but you avoid a lot of issues leaving them there.  

The Big12 was in the power 5 with Texas and Oklahoma due to their autobid to the Sugar bowl which likely will not be renewed and they will go the way of Big East football.  You are correct however that they are a part of the autonomous 5 for NCAA governance purposes, however if we’re talking about breaking away from the NCAA that won’t mean anything anymore.  The point is that a tournament with the SEC/ACC/B1G/PAC doesn’t NEED any of the other schools.  There will be plenty of great basketball schools left out like Villanova, Gonzaga, Georgetown, UConn, UNLV, Memphis, Butler, BYU, Cincy, Xavier, Wichita St plus the remaining Big 12 including Kansas (though I bet KU sneaks in eventually).  Baylor has no chance for reasons outside of sports.

The Power4 basketball tournament that has 5 of the 6 bluebloods (likely 6 of 6 once Kansas gets their spot) and vast majority of the elite perennial top 25 programs would be the bigger than any left over division I tournament the NCAA could put together, and if it’s even close (though I doubt it would be) they could simply invite over a basketball conference like the Big East or A10 to join their tournament.  Money split between 65-80 teams is more than dividing it between 360+.

• Like 1