Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is an effort to avoid the AAC inevitability. 

The PAC should listen quietly, thank Mr. Bowlsby for coming, and then reach out to Tech, Ok State, ISU, and TCU about joining their conference before Bowlsby hits the Uber. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Someone walk me through the economics of a "scheduling alliance".   Is the theory that you bundle 4 games for each remaining big 12 team against a PAC team (2 home and home with some neutral sites sprinkled in) and sell rights to those 32 games?  It's not a bad idea if the numbers work although how many of those are "marquee" enough to drive revenue when split that many ways.  Also just don't see how this works for the irat8 long term.   I don't see how an 8 team league with no marquee name retains power 5 status. 

What compelling Big 12/PAC football match up is there? ISU & USC? OSU & Oregon?

Outside of those two teams (and that assumes Campbell/Gundy don't bolt for brighter pastures) who in the "Ungrateful 8" would be a remotely interesting draw?

Do you do TT/ASU as some kind of "Valtrex Bowl"?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I object to the use of benign sounding terms like diddling or even molesting to describe this behavior. More people calling it what it actually is - ie butt fucking little boys in the shower against their will, sucking little boys dicks, or making little boys give a grown man a hand job - might make it tougher for folks to gloss over this behavior.

While I do agree with your message, I also didn’t want to be so specifically blunt as to potentially have someone reading that may be a victim of such abuse go into flashbacks. 

I do know someone that was a victim when they were young, and it can really fuck their minds up at times. Sometimes for no apparent reason. 

Either way, we should not forget their evil upon their world. (Or Baylors love for rape and murder.)

41 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

accurate.  Almost nothing in that meeting for the pac12.  Everything to gain for the remnants of the Big12-2-2

Meeting nothing more than Bowlsby begging for a lifeline. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

That's interesting, but why would PSU leave?  Just tired of tOSU and UM running things?

they've got the same flavor of corn's industrial disease

1.  you were big shit for a long time when independent

2.  join a conference with big names so you can be more of a big shit

3.  don't win anything

4.  rape children

5.  ?

6.  get the hell outta dodge, go be the big shit again

12 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I stand corrected.

Was that the SEC Championship Game with a season on the line and only seconds remaining on the clock or was that a meaningless series in the first quarter of a regular season game that made zero difference?

My apologies for not being more clear in my original statement, "NO ONE has seen a ref run up to the ball while the chain is being pulled and rock the ball backwards to make it 4th down in a Championship Game with a season on the line and only seconds remaining on the clock." 

16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Outside of those two teams (and that assumes Campbell/Gundy don't bolt for brighter pastures) who in the "Ungrateful 8" would be a remotely interesting draw?

C’mon now, they might be able to get an extra $500k per year!

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That was worse than the OSU game.

I was at that game.  Actually had several baylor fans tell me it was fixed. Didn't we have something like 15 PI penalties?  If baylor dropped the ball, it was a penalty.  Couple of fumbles we handed to the refs but they were awarded the ball.  Fuck baylor. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Yes, those matchups are compelling and would draw good ratings.

28 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

In essence this is why the Big 12 sucked.  Iowa St is likely better than Auburn and certainly Tennessee.  But I'm telling you I'm more apt to watch Tennessee play USC than Iowa St playing USC.  Baylor just won a championship in the second most popular college sport and yet they're left holding the bag.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking every move has to set up Texas/OU level matchups. That move is done and there aren't many matchups like that anyway. 

Oklahoma State-Oregon is absolutely a better matchup than most Pac-12 games. 

You can’t have two OSUs in the same conference, Lloyd. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking every move has to set up Texas/OU level matchups. That move is done and there aren't many matchups like that anyway. 

Yup. Absent Prestige Worldwide, there is plenty of interest in these types of games. It won't rate out like Texas-LSU, but it will hold its own and is part of the inventory conferences need.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Vegas prop bet: higher combined score when these two football teams or basketball teams meet.

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

If I was Fox I'd approach Texas and OU about a mutually beneficial agreement in which Fox will broker a move to the PAC of at least Ok State and Tech which would precipitate the further collapse of the B12. In exchange, Texas and OU would agree to schedule Fox property schools (home/away) to bolster their inventory.

This gives the PAC a footprint in the central timezone, eliminates our buyout and gives them the promise of valuable inventory. 

This is a good idea. Hopefully Fox is planning to do that once Bowlsby shuts up about lawsuits.

I'd absolutely be on board with Texas committing to home-and-homes with some combination of Tech, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Washington, etc. over the next decade.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 89Horn said:

You also reach into your pocket, peel a couple of C notes, and toss them on the floor in front of her as you leave.  

Post script:  she quickly drops to her knees to gather the cash as you leave.

Or she destroys your entire art collection hanging on the walls of your beautiful River Oaks mansion while your tank is parked out front.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

That's interesting, but why would PSU leave?  Just tired of tOSU and UM running things?

That's where their historic rivals are, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse. That is a better/more historic recruiting footprint. It would be contingent on ND also agreeing to join full time

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'd absolutely be on board with Texas committing to home-and-homes with some combination of Tech, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Washington, etc. over the next decade.

From Fox's perspective you can add the B10 to the mix as well since they have to fill time slots there too. Fox is in a really bad position. 

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think that is true to you and I but I'm not sure if true to Pac-12 watchers. I'm not sure most West Coast football fans are very aware of Oklahoma State's football ability.

Also, the Pac-12 start times are obscenely late. I feel like the UT game at Cal ended after midnight California time. Look at all these late ass kickoff times.  

2021 Pac-12 Football early television schedule announced | Pac-12

How does it work to merge a conference that puts its marquee games on at 9AM PDT with a conference that likes to kickoff big games at 10:30 CDT? Can't put 'em in the middle of the day because that's when our conference plays.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Unlike Texas and OU, the FSU president came out and flatly denied they were looking to move to the SEC.

His comments a week ago were very aggyish. FSU has a pretty big inferiority complex. 

"My point to (FSU director of athletics) David Coburn and to (new ACC commissioner) Jim Phillips is I don't want Florida State to be left behind. I consider us as part of the ACC, but I also know that we have a marquee name, Clemson has a marquee name. I think there might be people coming after us, I don't know, but we've got to be prepared no matter what the options are.”

Well, while we are dreaming the only Fox deal that i'd be open to is if they brought a few teams to the table and at the right price.  The conference would also have to agree to very uneven profit sharing.  Fox would have to bring in LSU, Arky, aTm and Nebraska.  To get them you would have to promise LSU 10m over what they make in the SEC.  They would also have to bring in Arky, aTm and Nebraska at 5m over what they make now.  Also dump WVU.  Lastly, I'd only pay the current big12 teams 25m+ per but not the current 40m.  Texas, OU and LSU should be top paid teams at 60+.

Looserana, Arky, Nubs are all too poor not to consider a long term deal for more money.  Plus its better shot at titles.  aTm is so pissed at the SEC right now they might cut off their own nose to spite their face.  

It would easily compete with the SEC and more importantly I think its enough to retain recruits.  

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This.  Conversely, it's not like everybody is setting their DVRs to be sure they don't miss Kentucky and South Carolina going at it in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

Hey, I get the calls issues, we got that shit too in the Big XII against Kansas, but NO ONE has seen a ref run up to the ball while the chain is being pulled and rock the ball backwards to make it 4th down. The ref literally runs to the ball as the chain is being pulled and dropped to move the ball. The Big XII is awful and known for shitty refereeing but that was mind bottling.

but there is that video of a Bama game where the ref looks at the sideline marker and moves the ball back 2 feet. 

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a good idea. Hopefully Fox is planning to do that once Bowlsby shuts up about lawsuits.

plus we're about to have some room on our schedule .. 

17 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

I think that is true to you and I but I'm not sure if true to Pac-12 watchers. I'm not sure most West Coast football fans are very aware of Oklahoma State's football ability.

Also, the Pac-12 start times are obscenely late. I feel like the UT game at Cal ended after midnight California time. Look at all these late ass kickoff times.  

2021 Pac-12 Football early television schedule announced | Pac-12

How does it work to merge a conference that puts its marquee games on at 9AM PDT with a conference that likes to kickoff big games at 10:30 CDT? Can't put 'em in the middle of the day because that's when our conference plays.

Thats partly the networks job to drum up interest, plus the natural eyeballs of the fans of these teams 

24 minutes ago, maninblack said:

From Fox's perspective you can add the B10 to the mix as well since they have to fill time slots there too. Fox is in a really bad position. 

And Fox is coming into play with a handicapped bankroll too. The mouse? Not so much.

That doesn’t mean Fox can’t pay, but they do have to make sure that what they are paying for isn’t going to turn into a bigger pile of shit. 

1 minute ago, orangebird said:

This.  Conversely, it's not like everybody is setting their DVRs to be sure they don't miss Kentucky and South Carolina going at it in the SEC.

If it's Kentucky with a Jared Lorenzen (RIP) at the helm, that shit was entertaining.  Hefty-Lefty was larger than many SEC d-linemen and they had all kinds of trouble pulling him down, a la Big Ben at Miami of OH (still Steelers' QB) and Dan McGwire at San Diego State.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the headline out of that hearing is that with the man in charge of the Big 12 finally in front of them, the Texas senate punted on asking about Craig James murdering 10 hookers as well as Baylor's admin. covering up multiple rapes to protect their football team.

• Hook 'Em 1

I took that 1992 loss to be that Gardere and Texas were not used to playing on natural grass anymore, and TCU had that season just installed grass at old Amon Carter.  

Did they even practice over at Intramural Fields (grass) before that game? I bet they didn't. Back then, Texas had no bubble practice field, nor had the Denius practice fields been built yet.... the grass fields at Denius were built in '94 and the bubble was added in '02.
CDC/Hartzell must have not taken all the grass fields in the SEC into account before starting the new rug installation..or we already have money set aside to go grass in 2 years or less.

32 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

If it's Kentucky with a Jared Lorenzen (RIP) at the helm, that shit was entertaining.  Hefty-Lefty was larger than many SEC d-linemen and they had all kinds of trouble pulling him down, a la Big Ben at Miami of OH (still Steelers' QB) and Dan McGwire at San Diego State.

Not to mention Guy 'Sonny' Gibbs, at TCU. Sonny was usually the biggest man on the field, at 6'7" and 230+. I watched him throw pass after pass against The #1 Longhorns, with two or three UT players draped over him, unable to bring him down, in '61. Only one play went for a Horned Frogs TD, but that was all they needed, as UT star RB James Saxton got kicked in the head early, aggravating his grass allergy, and was not a factor in the game. I think we had 1st and Goal so many times that Saint Darrell said afterwards that he'd just had the sense to try a FG (remember, one-platoon limited subs) every time we woulda won that game. Didn't hear any shoulda-coulda.

12 minutes ago, ousux said:
14 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:
I took that 1992 loss to be that Gardere and Texas were not used to playing on natural grass anymore, and TCU had that season just installed grass at old Amon Carter.  

Did they even practice over at Intramural Fields (grass) before that game? I bet they didn't. Back then, Texas had no bubble practice field, nor had the Denius practice fields been built yet.... the grass fields at Denius were built in '94 and the bubble was added in '02.

CDC/Hartzell must have not taken all the grass fields in the SEC into account before starting the new rug installation..or we already have money set aside to go grass in 2 years or less.

Gas, grass, or ass: Nobody rides for free.

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This is the kind of statement you make when you were given a firm and definitive "Hell no." upon approaching the SEC.

Or when you just witnessed bowlsby’s fucking clown show and want no part of drama like that.

I’m sure if the “leak” were much earlier than it was, officials here or for ousux would have taken a similar path.

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Not to mention Guy 'Sonny' Gibbs, at TCU. Sonny was usually the biggest man on the field, at 6'7" and 230+. I watched him throw pass after pass against The #1 Longhorns, with two or three UT players draped over him, unable to bring him down, in '61. Only one play went for a Horned Frogs TD, but that was all they needed, as UT star RB James Saxton got kicked in the head early, aggravating his grass allergy, and was not a factor in the game. I think we had 1st and Goal so many times that Saint Darrell said afterwards that he'd just had the sense to try a FG (remember, one-platoon limited subs) every time we woulda won that game. Didn't hear any shoulda-coulda.

Saxton was kicked in the head by a frog after the play was dead and he was getting up. No flag. 😡

• Rage+1 1

All the Oklahoma State and Texas Tech talk got me thinking - let's say it's headed toward a 64-team top division for college football. Without giving any consideration to current affiliations, which 64 schools do you think deserve to be in that group of 64? You can do it based on revenue, eyeballs, historical strength, whatever you want. But try to keep it realistic. 

Here's my 64 broken up only by how I got there, no other order in particular. Don't forget this is football only at least for me, and I basically used a combination of school-generated revenue (i.e., removed conference payouts) and average team strength since 1992 when 85 scholarships became the rule.

No doubters (9)

Texas
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Alabama
Ohio St.
Michigan
Florida
Southern Cal
LSU

Definitely in (12)

Nebraska
Texas A&M
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn
Oregon
Florida St.
Penn St.
Washington
Clemson
Florida St.
Miami (FL)

You're in (16)

Michigan St.
Wisconsin
Iowa
UCLA
Stanford
Virginia Tech
Iowa
West Virginia
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Arkansas
Missouri
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Virginia

Sure you can join (8)

Arizona
Arizona St.
Colorado
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.
Louisville
North Carolina St.
Purdue

Okay but don't get comfortable (13)

Boise St.
Boston College
Illinois
Iowa St.
Minnesota
Northwestern
Oregon St.
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
TCU
Utah
Washington St.

Holy shit that's still not 64? (6)

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Fresno St.
Houston
Kansas St.
South Florida

Did it kind of fast so may be mistakes, duplicates, bad math, etc. But the bottom line is actually doing the exercise makes it seem really absurd that Oklahoma and Texas Tech might get left out of the final 64.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

All the Oklahoma State and Texas Tech talk got me thinking - let's say it's headed toward a 64-team top division for college football. Without giving any consideration to current affiliations, which 64 schools do you think deserve to be in that group of 64? You can do it based on revenue, eyeballs, historical strength, whatever you want. But try to keep it realistic. 

Here's my 64 broken up only by how I got there, no other order in particular. Don't forget this is football only at least for me, and I basically used a combination of school-generated revenue (i.e., removed conference payouts) and average team strength since 1992 when 85 scholarships became the rule.

No doubters (9)

Texas
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Alabama
Ohio St.
Michigan
Florida
Southern Cal
LSU

Definitely in (12)

Nebraska
Texas A&M
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn
Oregon
Florida St.
Penn St.
Washington
Clemson
Florida St.
Miami (FL)

You're in (16)

Michigan St.
Wisconsin
Iowa
UCLA
Stanford
Virginia Tech
Iowa
West Virginia
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Arkansas
Missouri
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Virginia

Sure you can join (8)

Arizona
Arizona St.
Colorado
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.
Louisville
North Carolina St.
Purdue

Okay but don't get comfortable (13)

Boise St.
Boston College
Illinois
Iowa St.
Minnesota
Northwestern
Oregon St.
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
TCU
Utah
Washington St.

Holy shit that's still not 64? (6)

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Fresno St.
Houston
Kansas St.
South Florida

Did it kind of fast so may be mistakes, duplicates, bad math, etc. But the bottom line is actually doing the exercise makes it seem really absurd that Oklahoma and Texas Tech might get left out of the final 64.

Iowa on there twice, so you're short one