Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

32 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Does this board do a deep dive into a different fringe religion every week, or exclusively Mormonism? When is Theosophy scheduled? I've been hoping to learn more.

I knew this Scientologist who was a very solid white cover corner in Pennsylvania.  Ended up following his coach to some California school.  Coach moved on to Minnesota st where he hired the worlds dumbest offensive and defensive coordinators.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I knew this Scientologist who was a very solid white cover corner in Pennsylvania.  Ended up following his coach to some California school.  Coach moved on to Minnesota st where he hired the worlds dumbest offensive and defensive coordinators.  

You know if you change Minnesota State to Texas and Bo Whitley to Vince Young...

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Attendance is hardly relevant any more.

It is all about television eyes.

I wasn’t going to reply but you nailed it.

These moves have almost nothing to do with attendance.  Attendance is constrained by stadium size which typically is indicative of how many alumni/fan you have in the general vicinity of (reasonable travel distance to) your campus. No point in building a 80k seat stadium if most of your alumni live in a city center 2 hours away.  But that doesn’t mean those same alumni aren’t watching on TV (which is what pays for the vast majority of the revenue).  Boise State’s value is not correlated to their 36k seat stadium.  You can pack a 50k seat stadium every other week but if no one else is watching the game on TV, then that doesn’t mean dick.  It can be one of serval factor under consideration, but it should not be your primary data point.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

These moves have almost nothing to do with attendance.  Attendance is constrained by stadium size which typically is indicative of how many alumni/fan you have in the general vicinity of (reasonable travel distance to) your campus. No point in building a 80k seat stadium if most of your alumni live in a city center 2 hours away.  But that doesn’t mean those same alumni aren’t watching on TV (which is what pays for the vast majority of the revenue).  Boise State’s value is not correlated to their 36k seat stadium.  You can pack a 50k seat stadium every other week but if no one else is watching the game on TV, then that doesn’t mean dick.  It can be one of serval factor under consideration, but it should not be your primary data point.

Its an indication of the depth of fan support and ability to support a program and with a few exceptions pretty well correlates with TV value.  Miami and a few other outliers have more TV value than fan support.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

* Cal Poly

Djordjevic moved pretty good, but had attitudinal issues

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FS%2Fsgp-catalog-images%2Fregion_US%2Fstarz_svod-32914-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1501282715302._SX1080_.jpg&sp=1628190060Tf676390ebcee0eff608289945e12e54cd165edb4b091bdfe7b8651d099b7f187

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

One side of my family is Mormon and I am the great great grandson of a 4th wife who got put aside when polygamy was outlawed.  All I gotta say is...not my scene

It's like the saying goes, Hell hath no fury like a great great grandson scorned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

bhLFqt_DEwOMKDV2-M0mE6W5av0bc6yXF7A0-k3o

Probably this addition and structure to the PAC 12 has already been suggested but the map above really makes visualizing new PAC 16 pods easy.

Midwest POD
-------------------------
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Iowa State

Pacific POD
USC
UCLA
Arizona State
Arizona

Mountain POD
Standford
Colorado
Cal
Utah

North West POD
Oregon
Washington
Washington State
Oregon State

Get FOX to help negotiate($$) a season opener scheduling alliance between BIG and PAC 16 so that they own all the rights to both conferences and that may be the way PAC saves itself. Also, all the PAC small schools should look to the BIG XII and guarantee USC, Oregon, Washington and UCLA 95% of SEC or BIG per school dollars which ever is lower. Then they can split the rest equally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Does this board do a deep dive into a different fringe religion every week, or exclusively Mormonism? When is Theosophy scheduled? I've been hoping to learn more.

since you are new....

this community has been together for 20+ years on the following sites: austin360, hornfans, shaggybevo, shaggytexas, and now surlyhorns.  iirc bevo instantiated in november of 07 or 08 can't remember now, and within a year we were flooded with vermin from across the nation when aggy declared their standing offer from the secX3 which caused realignment to become a thing here which then attracted one particular brethren poster named smitty, and because of his bitchassedness the "window cougar" meme took off, and when he periodically returns, with aggy-level intelligence, he has been blasted to smithereens with data.

i am what the brethren call "an investigator".

the brethren are no different than aggy.... cult, religion, they just happen to both play football, and dealing with them is a royal pain in the ass.

that said, in the new world of "viewers only" the pac is going to end up having to take them despite protest from cal and stanford.  they have more eyes than anyone else without a chair right now by a factor of 5.

the best move for the brethren would be to wield their political influence in boise to force a merger of the vandals and the smurfs with the current Idaho State and package a single Idaho school with BYU together to the PAC, leaving 2 slots, which i would use for nevada and new mexico to get to 16.  unlv, new mexico state, san diego state, san jose state, it's quidditch for you.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, DCLonghorn said:
7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Ticket sales still a huge percentage of football revenue.

I'm assuming he's talking about a school's relative attractiveness to a conference or network broadcasting partner, in which case his statement is true.

In terms of overall budget, at schools like Texas with 100K seat stadiums, for sure, football attendance is very important and gate+concessions+merchandise+all other in-person gameday purchases, constitute a huge portion of the athletics budget.  In a normal full-capacity non-covid season, gate alone at Texas probably ends up exceeding all of the TV revenue from both the conference distribution, plus the LHN.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

UT makes more money on tickets sales than TV revenue (pre COVID). Ticket sales are still a huge part of the budget.

Last year, we made $20.6m on media rights. In 2019, we made $37m on ticket sales.

Of course TV/streaming has more growth potential than tickets. But with cord cutting, that's not a given.

And these numbers are before our new uterine suites are raising more money...and before any SEC TV money bump.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I'd like to see a list of schools that routinely sell 75k tickets or more to their games and DON'T draw tv ratings.  And a second list of schools that routinely draw under 40k and DO draw tv ratings (I'll give you Miami on that one).

17 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Ticket sales still a huge percentage of football revenue.

But unless the conference takes a cut of the gate (I think the Big Ten did this once upon a time) that doesn’t matter much in realignment.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Probably this addition and structure to the PAC 12 has already been suggested but the map above really makes visualizing new PAC 16 pods easy.

Midwest POD
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Iowa State

Pacific POD
USC
UCLA
Arizona State
Arizona

Mountain POD
Standford
Colorado
Cal
Utah

North West POD
Oregon
Washington
Washington State
Oregon State

Get FOX to help negotiate($$) a season opener scheduling alliance between BIG and PAC 16 so that they own all the rights to both conferences and that may be the way PAC saves itself. Also, all the PAC small schools should look to the BIG XII and guarantee USC, Oregon, Washington and UCLA 95% of SEC or BIG per school dollars which ever is lower. Then they can split the rest equally.

Do this map again with only the Power 4 and the Irate Eight excluded.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

since you are new....

this community has been together for 20+ years on the following sites: austin360, hornfans, shaggybevo, shaggytexas, and now surlyhorns.  iirc bevo instantiated in november of 07 or 08 can't remember now, and within a year we were flooded with vermin from across the nation when aggy declared their standing offer from the secX3 which caused realignment to become a thing here which then attracted one particular brethren poster named smitty, and because of his bitchassedness the "window cougar" meme took off, and when he periodically returns, with aggy-level intelligence, he has been blasted to smithereens with data.

the brethren are no different than aggy.... cult, religion, they just happen to both play football, and dealing with them is a royal pain in the ass.

that said, in the new world of "viewers only" the pac is going to end up having to take them despite protest from cal and stanford.  they have more eyes than anyone else without a chair right now by a factor of 5.

the best move for the brethren would be to wield their political influence in boise to force a merger of the vandals and the smurfs with the current Idaho State and package a single Idaho school with BYU together to the PAC, leaving 2 slots, which i would use for nevada and new mexico to get to 16.  unlv, new mexico state, san diego state, san jose state, it's quidditch for you.

Don't think many of you made the interim stop after Hornfans to LonghornFanZone after Longhorn Bob and Longhorn Girlie got "divorced."

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Midwest POD
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Iowa State

Pacific POD
USC
UCLA
Arizona State
Arizona

Mountain POD
Standford
Colorado
Cal
Utah

North West POD
Oregon
Washington
Washington State
Oregon State

Only have to pay SC.  Doubt anybody else would leave with them.  Colorado would bolt for the BIG if they got an offer.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

since you are new....

You have no idea the hate between idaho and the smurfs. Non starter. 

Good for them or not, pac will not take byu. There are maybe 5 or 6 schools left in that conference that give a shit about athletics and byu's baggage will never get approval. 

Boise is a non-starter. Regardless of eyeballs for a school that I still don't think has sold out a home football game in almost 20 years (fact check it, not positive), Berkley isn't going to allow a school that still offers a truck driving degree into the pac. 

I think the pac grabs okie lite and tech and who knows else. I would say 2 of the following: san diego state (state school, state school) unlv and new mexico. 

Their new commissioner seems infinitely more capable than scott. I also wouldn't be surprised with some sort of alliance with the Big. 

2 minutes ago, pops said:

Good for them or not, pac will not take byu. There are maybe 5 or 6 schools left in that conference that give a shit about athletics and byu's baggage will never get approval. 

Boise is a non-starter. Regardless of eyeballs for a school that I still don't think has sold out a home football game in almost 20 years (fact check it, not positive), Berkley isn't going to allow a school that still offers a truck driving degree into the pac. 

I think the pac grabs okie lite and tech and who knows else. I would say 2 of the following: san diego state (state school, state school) unlv and new mexico. 

Their new commissioner seems infinitely more capable than scott. I also wouldn't be surprised with some sort of alliance with the Big. 

Ain’t nobody gonna take no New Mexico over Boise 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Lmfanzone, burntorangefanzone, and longhornfanzone….Was there in 99 when the bus did show up.

R.s.f.c before all of that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah!  A fellow BOFZ resident!  Home of the LHFZ dead enders.  Guess a couple of seasons of Charlie Strong was too much for the operators of that site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Probably true about Berkeley, but mixing academic snobbery and athletics is why the Pac is in this position. Are the academic standards at Oregon St and Wazzu really that high? I don't care enough to look.

26 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Probably true about Berkeley, but mixing academic snobbery and athletics is why the Pac is in this position. Are the academic standards at Oregon St and Wazzu really that high? I don't care enough to look.

No. Not really, but they have their specialties. Wazzu has a strong vet program and osu is a leader in turf science and seed research. May be trivial to most,  but not those in the area.  But mostly they have 100 years of history. 

And yes,  the snobbery is exactly why the pac is in this situation.