Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

26 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Dragline from Cool Hand Luke has a nice new suit. 

George Kennedy, won the 1967 Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role as "Dragline" in Cool Hand Luke.  Kennedy beat out:

John Cassavetes – The Dirty Dozen (George Kennedy was also in The Dirty Dozen)
Gene Hackman – Bonnie and Clyde
Cecil Kellaway – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
George Kennedy – Cool Hand Luke
Michael J. Pollard – Bonnie and Clyde

Interestingly enough, Paul Newman was nominated for Best Actor in Cool Hand Luke but did not win; one of seven times Newman was nominated for Best Actor but did not win the Oscar; until 1987 The Color of Money, for his reprisal of "Fast" Eddie Felson from The Hustler opposite Jackie Gleason as "Minnesota Fats".

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's my thinking about ISU.

All of these games are going to be on TV.  Guys don't get much exposure rotting on blue blood benches (I know, there's always Matt Cassel), and as long as football is an 11 man game, there's a limited number of windows to play and expose yourself.

We aren't going to lose 3 star recruits because we don't play Texas.  The Big 12 will have much better exposure than any existing G5, and I don't think it's going to be that hard to recruit against the Pac 12 and ACC with their empty stadiums.

We'd still bail for the Big 10 the second they called, but I'm really not that opposed to this.  All we're losing is the top end TV money, and as you guys, Michigan, Nebraska, etc have routinely shown, being the richest doesn't translate to high end success.  The law of diminishing returns is real.

Big 12 with those four additions would have an average home attendance of 46,655 according to 2019 figures. That would put it in between the ACC and Pac 12 for that year.

Of course, the remainders would lose some home attendance for not having UT and OU on the schedule, but at the same time the new additions might see their home numbers increase as they climb a step in conference, especially UH whose home attendance for that fall was an abysmal 25,500. 

I know attendance doesn't equal TV/streaming eyeballs, but it does argue in favor of the Big 12 still being ranked among the big boys.

Edit to show homework:

Iowa State 59,794
BYU 59,547
West Virginia 55,907
Oklahoma State 54,817
Tech 53,418
Kansas State 48,818
Baylor 45,517
UCF 43,788
TCU 42,881
Cincinnati 35,985
Kansas 33,875
Houston 25,518
Average 46,655
Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

If true, then it's 1a. BYU, 1b. UCF, 2. Cincy and 3. Boise.

Memphis is poop.

AAC then scoops up FAU and / or Liberty.

Mountain West then either just goes to a 11 team league or picks up either New Mexico St, UTEP, or UTSA off the trash heap. My $ is staying put w/ one less mouth to feed.

Divisions:

West:

Boise St

BYU

Tech

Baylor

TCU

Okie St.

East:

Kansas

K state

Iowa St

WVU

Cincy

UCF

It will be North/South

North: BYU, Cincy, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, WVU

South: Baylor, tech, TCU, Oklahoma st, Houston, UCF

So we can partake of Hollywood Babblin', but nobody wamts to talk about the 800-pound gorilla in the room?

You cannot seriously entertain the idea of multiple teams having to visit Boise without making sure that fucking blue field is ripped up and air-dropped on, on, uhhh, why not France?

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think below is the work around…it’s the leverage needed. 

The addition of new members would require approval by a supermajority of 80 percent of Big 12 membership. If the eight remaining schools can get aligned on this, they would not need the support of Texas and Oklahoma to follow through on their plan.

The Big12 bylaws are written so that as soon as a member submits their notice that they intend to leave they lose their vote.  Texas / OU have no say (at least formally) in who joins. 

The supermajority is now 7 of the 8 remaining members.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The Big12 bylaws are written so that as soon as a member submits their notice that they intend to leave they lose their vote.  Texas / OU have no say (at least formally) in who joins. 

The supermajority is now 7 of the 8 remaining members.

I'm pretty sure it's been clarified that we haven't given notice of withdrawal.  The only thing we've formally told the big12 is that we won't renew the GOR.  Yes SEC has invited and we have accepted, but technically not notified the conference we are withdrawing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I'm pretty sure it's been clarified that we haven't given notice of withdrawal.  The only thing we've formally told the big12 is that we won't renew the GOR.  Yes SEC has invited and we have accepted, but technically not notified the conference we are withdrawing.

Sorry - I knew I was an idiot for coming into this discussion so late and trying to 'clarify'.  That's info I hadn't heard - I appreciate it.

So does that mean that the 18 month clock hasn't actually started?

• Like 1

Telling the Big 12 what schools to add feels like the father of the bride telling his SIL how many kids they should have, but I think this is a pretty solid direction for the Irate 8: 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32134459/byu-ucf-cincinnati-houston-considered-top-candidates-big-12-expansion-sources-confirm

I think UCF is a big ole nothing burger other than it's Orlando. I guess Bowlsby has faith in the Gus Bus. 

20 bucks says Gordon Gee is ESPN's source. 

Speaking of Gee, doesn't it feel like he's driving this right now? The torch of outlandish public statements passing from Bowlsby to Gee. Gee is a Mormon doing the LSD a solid by getting BYU into the Power 5 while adding travel partners for West Virginia. Not sure if they're better off with Gee rather than Bowlsby, but at least that old crazy bastard will do something. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sorry - I knew I was an idiot for coming into this discussion so late and trying to 'clarify'.  That's info I hadn't heard - I appreciate it.

Right. The 18-month clock hasn't started. So if we give notice at the end of this year we can get out for the 2023 season. The deadline for the 2022 season has already passed. With that said everything's negotiable.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Big 12 with those four additions would have an average home attendance of 46,655 according to 2019 figures. That would put it in between the ACC and Pac 12 for that year.

Of course, the remainders would lose some home attendance for not having UT and OU on the schedule, but at the same time the new additions might see their home numbers increase as they climb a step in conference, especially UH whose home attendance for that fall was an abysmal 25,500. 

I know attendance doesn't equal TV/streaming eyeballs, but it does argue in favor of the Big 12 still being ranked among the big boys.

Edit to show homework:

Iowa State 59,794
BYU 59,547
West Virginia 55,907
Oklahoma State 54,817
Tech 53,418
Kansas State 48,818
Baylor 45,517
UCF 43,788
TCU 42,881
Cincinnati 35,985
Kansas 33,875
Houston 25,518
Average 46,655

Statistics from a major national sporting goods chain ...

2019 Greater Houston locations - Sales rankings of sports labeled (logo) Apparel and Novelty Advertising:

#1   Houston Astros label on blue, orange & white

#2   Dallas Cowboys label on blue & silver

#3   Houston Rockets label on red & white

#4   Texas A&M "Aggie's" label on maroon & white

#5   Houston Texans label on red, white & blue

#6   Texas "Longhorns" label on burnt orange & white

#7   Texas Rangers label on red, white & blue

#8   Louisiana State "Tigers" label on purple & gold (yellow)

#9   Texas Tech "Red Raiders" label on red, black & white

#10  San Antonio "Spurs" label on black, silver & white

#11  Oklahoma State "Cowboys" label on orange, black & white

#12  Oklahoma "Sooners" label on crimson & cream

#13  Rice "Owls" label on blue & gray

#14  Houston "Cougars" label on red & white

#15  Dallas Mavericks label on blue, green & white

I know this just represents people buying sports apparel and novelty advertising with team logos and colors in 2019; but I think it is indicative of the competition U of H has for the TV eyeballs in the Greater Houston area.  There are THIRTEEN other teams (seven that play on Saturday) with more fans (TV eyeballs) in the Greater Houston area than the hometown Houston Cougars.   There is a reason U of H cannot average more than 26K to home football games from a greater metropolitan area of almost 7 million people that are physically located within fifty miles of Texas Dow Employees Credit Union Stadium on Cullen Drive.  Yes that really is the name of their football stadium.   If you want to add TV eyeballs from the Houston area you are better off adding Rice than U of H, and Rice comes with a bunch less problems than U of H would bring to any conference.  Unfortunately for U of H, these are just the hard facts.

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Presumably not, but like the GOR it won't likely affect timing.  Exit fee money will likely be agreed to that addresses it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Speedway said:

2019 Greater Houston locations - Sales rankings of sports labeled (logo) Apparel and Novelty Advertising:

I know this just represents people buying sports apparel and novelty advertising with team logos and colors in 2019; but I think it is indicative of the competition U of H has for the TV eyeballs in the Greater Houston area.  There are THIRTEEN other teams (seven that play on Saturday) with more fans (TV eyeballs) in the Greater Houston area than the hometown Houston Cougars.   There is a reason U of H cannot average more than 26K to home football games from a greater metropolitan area of almost 7 million people that are physically located within fifty miles of Texas Dow Employees Credit Union Stadium on Cullen Drive.  Yes that really is the name of their football stadium.   If you want to add TV eyeballs from the Houston area you are better off adding Rice than U of H, and Rice comes with a bunch less problems than U of H would bring to any conference.  Unfortunately for U of H, these are just the hard facts.

It might have been here or on another board, but whomever called a U of H a commuter school for smart first generation college students nailed it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

No amount of "substantial financial loss" would make this worthwhile for anyone. This is a worst case scenario if no other options are available. If we sign a grant of rights with this shit I may just give up watching football altogether (not really it's just super upsetting right now).

If enough of your fellow fans feel the same way, then maybe they can move the stands off the sidelines, since they won't need the seats.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Speedway said:

That's shockingly bad. I would've never guessed they were behind Tech, OU, and OSU. UT, aggy, & LSU don't surprise. Rice? A little bit.

Even so, 2019 was a really bad attendance year for them. Here are their attendance figures for as far back as I could find. In a better conference, one would hope they could at least bump it up a little bit. Not advocating for their inclusion - just got curious after your post. Mensa leaving really hurt them. He should've stayed...

image.png.0b6198eaeafb5880f12343c00682ec9b.png

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1794446918-big-lebowski-jesus.png

John Turturro as Jesus Quintana in The Big Lebowski (1998)

Jesus Quintana:
You ready to be f***ed man? I see you rolled your way into the semis. Dios mio, man. Liam and me, we're gonna f*** you up.

The Dude:
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Jesus Quintana:
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy sh*t with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the f***ing trigger 'til it goes "click."

The Dude:
Jesus.

Jesus Quintana:
You said it man. Nobody f***s with the Jesus.

Walter Sobchak:
Eight year-olds, Dude.

15 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

someone with a sub able to give us the copypasta?

I got you fam:

Big Ten considered expansion before alliance with ACC, Pac-12

By Scott Dochterman

12 Comments

Big Ten administrators and school officials first looked into expansion before opting for the alliance with the ACC and Pac-12, Iowa athletics director Gary Barta told the university’s Presidential Committee on Athletics.

In the wake of Oklahoma and Texas accepting an SEC invitation in late July, Barta said the 14-school conference felt compelled “to react to this,” but the consensus was “we’re in a really good place.” But beforehand, the league openly debated the merits of expansion.

“We started to talk about, should we ever add any schools to the Big Ten Conference?” Barta said. “We certainly haven't said we never will. But in short run, with all the things that would have to be included to join the conference, we didn't identify anybody as a conference that we would immediately go after that would fit.”

It was at that point, Barta said, the league then looked into an alliance with the Pac-12 and ACC. When it comes to scheduling, Barta said, “Football will be our first approach,” but there are several logistical hurdles remaining for all three leagues.

“Some of our Big Ten schools have games scheduled out past 2030,” Barta, who is a member of the Big Ten’s work group, told The Athletic. “That's why it was made clear that we're excited about it. We’re going to begin working on it. Contracts are going to be honored. And at Iowa, we've made it clear, we need to have seven home games."

(Photo: James Black / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

What’s next for the Big Ten?

A few of the ADs, including Barta, will weigh the pluses and minuses of continuing a nine-game Big Ten schedule versus returning to an eight-game slate. Once the group reaches a conclusion, then the full group of athletic directors will debate it.

“The advantage of going to eight is then you don't have that 5-4 (home-away), every-other year,” Barta said. “There's certainly an advantage there. When we went to nine, one of the excitements was we were going to have another Big Ten game for our fans. If we do end up going to eight and then have an ACC-Pac 12 (game), I think our fans will be excited about that. It's going to be more complicated than maybe some people have thought about, partly because all those existing contracts and partly because currently, we're playing nine and the ACC plays eight.”

If the Big Ten returns to eight games, administrators would have to decide whether to keep the current divisional structure, alter it or scrap it in favor of the pre-2011 setup, which included a mix of permanent opponents and a rotation of other teams.

What's next for football scheduling for the alliance?

Both the Big Ten and Pac-12 have nine-game conference seasons negotiated into their media rights agreements, but those deals end after the 2022 (Big Ten) and 2023 (Pac-12) seasons. Other than a few location tweaks, the Big Ten is set to go forward with its nine-game schedule in 2022, then changes are possible.

“Our TV partners will definitely be part of this discussion,” Barta said. “As we head forward into any kind of an alliance scheduling, our TV partners will be at the table.”

For all three leagues, the collective priority first comes with likely College Football Playoff expansion and its impact on alliance scheduling.

“What are the parameters of getting into the CFP and how we set our scheduling up?” asked Barta, who currently serves as CFP chairman. “We want to make sure as a Big Ten that — and I'm sure the ACC and the Pac-12 are going to say the same thing — we want to make sure we're positioned well to maximize the opportunity to get into that equation.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I got you fam:

By Scott Dochterman

12 Comments

Big Ten administrators and school officials first looked into expansion before opting for the alliance with the ACC and Pac-12, Iowa athletics director Gary Barta told the university’s Presidential Committee on Athletics.

In the wake of Oklahoma and Texas accepting an SEC invitation in late July, Barta said the 14-school conference felt compelled “to react to this,” but the consensus was “we’re in a really good place.” But beforehand, the league openly debated the merits of expansion.

“We started to talk about, should we ever add any schools to the Big Ten Conference?” Barta said. “We certainly haven't said we never will. But in short run, with all the things that would have to be included to join the conference, we didn't identify anybody as a conference that we would immediately go after that would fit.”

It was at that point, Barta said, the league then looked into an alliance with the Pac-12 and ACC. When it comes to scheduling, Barta said, “Football will be our first approach,” but there are several logistical hurdles remaining for all three leagues.

“Some of our Big Ten schools have games scheduled out past 2030,” Barta, who is a member of the Big Ten’s work group, told The Athletic. “That's why it was made clear that we're excited about it. We’re going to begin working on it. Contracts are going to be honored. And at Iowa, we've made it clear, we need to have seven home games."

A few of the ADs, including Barta, will weigh the pluses and minuses of continuing a nine-game Big Ten schedule versus returning to an eight-game slate. Once the group reaches a conclusion, then the full group of athletic directors will debate it.

“The advantage of going to eight is then you don't have that 5-4 (home-away), every-other year,” Barta said. “There's certainly an advantage there. When we went to nine, one of the excitements was we were going to have another Big Ten game for our fans. If we do end up going to eight and then have an ACC-Pac 12 (game), I think our fans will be excited about that. It's going to be more complicated than maybe some people have thought about, partly because all those existing contracts and partly because currently, we're playing nine and the ACC plays eight.”

If the Big Ten returns to eight games, administrators would have to decide whether to keep the current divisional structure, alter it or scrap it in favor of the pre-2011 setup, which included a mix of permanent opponents and a rotation of other teams.

Both the Big Ten and Pac-12 have nine-game conference seasons negotiated into their media rights agreements, but those deals end after the 2022 (Big Ten) and 2023 (Pac-12) seasons. Other than a few location tweaks, the Big Ten is set to go forward with its nine-game schedule in 2022, then changes are possible.

“Our TV partners will definitely be part of this discussion,” Barta said. “As we head forward into any kind of an alliance scheduling, our TV partners will be at the table.”

For all three leagues, the collective priority first comes with likely College Football Playoff expansion and its impact on alliance scheduling.

“What are the parameters of getting into the CFP and how we set our scheduling up?” asked Barta, who currently serves as CFP chairman. “We want to make sure as a Big Ten that — and I'm sure the ACC and the Pac-12 are going to say the same thing — we want to make sure we're positioned well to maximize the opportunity to get into that equation.”

Not one viable expansion candidate mentioned. That is how you $9.95. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Speedway said:

There's no link.  What's the source?

This looks like total BS.

You can't find Texas Tech stuff.  The closest sporting goods store to Rice U. doesn't even have a lot of Rice stuff.  But it has as much Rice as it does LSU and Baylor.  And it carries no Tech stuff.  You see lots of UH stuff available all over town and more than LSU or Okie St. or OU.

UH is a very sold #3 in Houston among colleges.  And its probably just since A&M supersized that it has slipped from #2 to #3.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I got you fam:

By Scott Dochterman

12 Comments

So they are going to shape the playoff selection to favor strength of schedule which they will try to achieve with the alliance.

15 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

If true, then it's 1a. BYU, 1b. UCF, 2. Cincy and 3. Boise.

Memphis is poop.

AAC then scoops up FAU and / or Liberty.

Mountain West then either just goes to a 11 team league or picks up either New Mexico St, UTEP, or UTSA off the trash heap. My $ is staying put w/ one less mouth to feed.

Divisions:

West:

Boise St

BYU

Tech

Baylor

TCU

Okie St.

East:

Kansas

K state

Iowa St

WVU

Cincy

UCF

Sorry Cougar High is joining the XII. 
The Coogs are expected to make the leap and move on from the American Athletic Conference, a person with knowledge of the talks said. A vote could come as early as next week. The Dallas Morning News reported the expansion timetable “remains very fluid,” with one source saying “it can move as fast as everyone wants it to.”

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Sorry Cougar High is joining the XII. 
The Coogs are expected to make the leap and move on from the American Athletic Conference, a person with knowledge of the talks said. A vote could come as early as next week. The Dallas Morning News reported the expansion timetable “remains very fluid,” with one source saying “it can move as fast as everyone wants it to.”

Hit us with that copy and paste action. Nobody is dumb enough to pay for the Houston Chronicle, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hit us with that copy and paste action. Nobody is dumb enough to pay for the Houston Chronicle, right? 

Five years after a potential match fizzled, the University of Houston and Big 12 Conference are on the verge of uniting after all.

UH has emerged as a leading contender to join a reconfigured 12-team Big 12 with a formal vote planned for next week, two people with knowledge of the talks said Thursday.

The shift comes just over a month after Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference, starting another round of conference realignment that could eventually fulfill UH’s longtime desire to join one of the major conferences in college athletics.

Earlier reports Thursday by ESPN, The Athletic and the Dallas Morning News said the Big 12 has targeted UH, BYU, Central Florida and Cincinnati as expansion candidates to join the league’s eight remaining schools. Long the powerbrokers of the Big 12, Texas and Oklahoma have accepted invitations to join the SEC in 2025.

SMU and Memphis are also being considered by the Big 12, one person with knowledge of the talks told the Chronicle.

The Big 12 requires eight of its current 10 members to approve candidates before expansion can occur. A person with knowledge of the process said UH is expected to receive unanimous approval.

The Morning News said the expansion timetable “remains very fluid,” with one source saying, “it can move as fast as everyone wants it to.”

Support to add UH has increased in the past week, a third person familiar with the talks told the Chronicle on the condition of anonymity.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby issued a statement Wednesday — following two days of meetings in Dallas with athletic directors to discuss options — suggesting the remaining eight schools will work together to strengthen the league through expansion.

The eight remaining Big 12 schools include Baylor, Texas Tech. TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virginia.

“Future exploration by the group will continue to center on options that best position the long-term strength of the conference,” Bowlsby said.

By adding UH, UCF and Cincinnati, the Big 12 would raid the American Athletic Conference, which has long been considered the best league outside of the so-called Power Five that includes the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. The addition of the three schools would allow the Big 12 to remain involved in the Houston television market, extend its reach to Florida and add a Cincinnati program that begins this season in the football top 10.

BYU, which is independent in football, brings a strong national brand, large fan base due to its affiliation with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and rich football tradition. All of BYU’s athletic programs except football currently play in the West Coast Conference.

At a donor event Aug. 27, Chris Pezman, UH’s vice president for athletics, said the school’s “best days are ahead of us.”

“I truly believe we’re very well positioned about where we may be going or what our future holds,” Pezman said. “There’s a lot of options that are playing out. There’s a lot of conversations that are pretty creative about what our future could be.”

In 2016, the last time the Big 12 considered expansion, UH was at the front of the line of potential candidates. No individual schools were discussed or voted on despite a pool of candidates. After face-to-face meetings to hear pitches, the Big 12 opted to remain at 10 schools, drawing the ire of Tilman Fertitta, UH’s billionaire board of regents chairman, who called the drawn-out process “a total sham.”

“It was the biggest ramrod, railroad, ever,” Fertitta told the Houston Chronicle in 2017.

“We belong in the Big 12,” Fertitta later added.

Once an independent, UH began play in the Southwest Conference in 1976 but was left out in 1994 when the league reached agreement to form a new conference. Together with the old Big Eight, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech formed the Big 12.

UH spent 17 years in Conference USA before joining the AAC in 2013. The omission from a major conference dealt a crippling financial blow to UH’s athletic department; the school received between $10-$12 million in revenue distribution last year, the Big 12 distributed $35 million to each school. There is speculation that amount could decrease by $14 million when Texas and Oklahoma leave.

Any move by UH would require 27 months of notice and $10 million exit fee to the AAC. The Big 12’s move to add schools could lead to Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC sooner.

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Five years after a potential match fizzled, the University of Houston and Big 12 Conference are on the verge of uniting after all.

UH has emerged as a leading contender to join a reconfigured 12-team Big 12 with a formal vote planned for next week, two people with knowledge of the talks said Thursday.

The shift comes just over a month after Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference, starting another round of conference realignment that could eventually fulfill UH’s longtime desire to join one of the major conferences in college athletics.

Earlier reports Thursday by ESPN, The Athletic and the Dallas Morning News said the Big 12 has targeted UH, BYU, Central Florida and Cincinnati as expansion candidates to join the league’s eight remaining schools. Long the powerbrokers of the Big 12, Texas and Oklahoma have accepted invitations to join the SEC in 2025.

SMU and Memphis are also being considered by the Big 12, one person with knowledge of the talks told the Chronicle.

The Big 12 requires eight of its current 10 members to approve candidates before expansion can occur. A person with knowledge of the process said UH is expected to receive unanimous approval.

The Morning News said the expansion timetable “remains very fluid,” with one source saying, “it can move as fast as everyone wants it to.”

Support to add UH has increased in the past week, a third person familiar with the talks told the Chronicle on the condition of anonymity.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby issued a statement Wednesday — following two days of meetings in Dallas with athletic directors to discuss options — suggesting the remaining eight schools will work together to strengthen the league through expansion.

The eight remaining Big 12 schools include Baylor, Texas Tech. TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virginia.

“Future exploration by the group will continue to center on options that best position the long-term strength of the conference,” Bowlsby said.

By adding UH, UCF and Cincinnati, the Big 12 would raid the American Athletic Conference, which has long been considered the best league outside of the so-called Power Five that includes the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. The addition of the three schools would allow the Big 12 to remain involved in the Houston television market, extend its reach to Florida and add a Cincinnati program that begins this season in the football top 10.

BYU, which is independent in football, brings a strong national brand, large fan base due to its affiliation with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and rich football tradition. All of BYU’s athletic programs except football currently play in the West Coast Conference.

At a donor event Aug. 27, Chris Pezman, UH’s vice president for athletics, said the school’s “best days are ahead of us.”

“I truly believe we’re very well positioned about where we may be going or what our future holds,” Pezman said. “There’s a lot of options that are playing out. There’s a lot of conversations that are pretty creative about what our future could be.”

In 2016, the last time the Big 12 considered expansion, UH was at the front of the line of potential candidates. No individual schools were discussed or voted on despite a pool of candidates. After face-to-face meetings to hear pitches, the Big 12 opted to remain at 10 schools, drawing the ire of Tilman Fertitta, UH’s billionaire board of regents chairman, who called the drawn-out process “a total sham.”

“It was the biggest ramrod, railroad, ever,” Fertitta told the Houston Chronicle in 2017.

“We belong in the Big 12,” Fertitta later added.

Once an independent, UH began play in the Southwest Conference in 1976 but was left out in 1994 when the league reached agreement to form a new conference. Together with the old Big Eight, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech formed the Big 12.

UH spent 17 years in Conference USA before joining the AAC in 2013. The omission from a major conference dealt a crippling financial blow to UH’s athletic department; the school received between $10-$12 million in revenue distribution last year, the Big 12 distributed $35 million to each school. There is speculation that amount could decrease by $14 million when Texas and Oklahoma leave.

Any move by UH would require 27 months of notice and $10 million exit fee to the AAC. The Big 12’s move to add schools could lead to Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC sooner.

Somebody send @SwAss a bottle of Martinelli's Sparking Cider. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

As someone who cares about higher education in our state, it is in both UT’s and the state’s best interests for UH to develop into a real all around Tier 1 option for students. Rather have Texas kids who can’t get in to UT to stay in the state and go to UH than leave and go to SEC schools. UH to XII makes them a more appealing option to more students

I'll agree with a caveat. The UT System, outside of UT - Austin, needs to get better. UTSA and UTA have a very long way to go. Both should be excellent schools, and they aren't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'll agree with a caveat. The UT System, outside of UT - Austin, needs to get better. UTSA and UTA have a very long way to go. Both should be excellent schools, and they aren't. 

They have both made really strong improvements over the last decade.  UTA just got approval for NRUF funding (that only Tech, UH, and UTD had previously) and if UTSA merges with UTHSCSA then they’ll be in a good spot too.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Would adding 4 schools impact our legal obligations to the Big 12 at all? Or is that only if 2 more schools leave?

OK, repeating since I have same question.   What does adding these folks mean for us?  What triggers a definitive plan for a move so that our recruiting is only hindered by one thing and not two.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

To be fair UTD is an excellent public school. I’d definitely say it’s in the second tier of public universities in the state behind aggy and UT. Outside of them I’d say your point still stands although UTSA has been making some major strides recently from what I’ve heard.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

If they bring in more schools and it lowers the per school payout doesn’t that lower our exit fees as well?  I mean we aren’t paying the whole thing anyways, but it gives us more negotiating leverage.

If what I read from some posters here we have a lot of leverage with the vote and them needing 8/10 votes. We tell them we would be no votes unless they let us out of the GOR for a majorly reduced cost or the 18 month by law removed so we can leave earlier. 

we Oklahoma and us vote no then all it would take would be one id the big 12 schools outside of tech TCU and Baylor to vote no as well. 

Bowlsby definitely outplayed his hand here IMO. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1