Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 9/10/2021 at 8:32 PM, TKthunder2 said:

“While Oklahoma’s president wants the rivalry game to continue, Oklahoma State’s president is much less certain.”

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/oklahoma-oklahoma-state-bedlam-doubt

OU offered, but despite possibly going back to 8 conference games OSU doesn’t want to play more than a single OOC with a pulse each year so they’re saying no.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/oklahoma-state/

If you were going to make that kind of a long term arrangement OOC, at least call Nebraska before OSU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

If you were going to make that kind of a long term arrangement OOC, at least call Nebraska before OSU.

Agree but I think they offered for political reasons.  That agreement  limits anyone accusing them for leaving their biggest rivals since they’d still play OSU, Texas and Mizzou annual once again. Meaning they were only abandoning KU, K State, and Iowa St. It also buys good will within their state and likely helps OSU’s new TV deal since they’d know they have a home game with Oklahoma every other year, which will either get them more money if they stay in the Big 12, or make them more attractive to the PAC12 if they expand.  Obviously a long term deal with Nebraska would be best, but if OSU declines they can always say they offered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Agree but I think they offered for political reasons.  That agreement  limits anyone accusing them for leaving their biggest rivals since they’d still play OSU, Texas and Mizzou annual once again. Meaning they were only abandoning KU, K State, and Iowa St. It also buys good will within their state and likely helps OSU’s new TV deal since they’d know they have a home game with Oklahoma every other year, which will either get them more money if they stay in the Big 12, or make them more attractive to the PAC12 if they expand.  Obviously a long term deal with Nebraska would be best, but if OSU declines they can always say they offered.

It'd be odd if Bedlam is replaced with Tulsa for Oklahoma State while Oklahoma revived Nebraska tilt... (AAC is screwed)...
I can not imagine the Cowpokes new president being that short-sighted when Bedlam helps OSU gain a P4 birth to PAC..?

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-blaudschun/jersey-guy-big-12-expansion

Sounds like everyone wants it to happen in 2022.

"...What we don't know is WHEN this going to happen.

Officially, the word being parsed  out is that it will be at least two and perhaps 3 years before it can be implemented.

Which brings us back to Deep Throat: Follow the Money.

""Right now it's in the hands of the lawyers,'' said one source familiar with the talks being held in the conference offices. "It's all about settling on a price to let schools leave early.''

Right now Oklahoma, Texas, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are lame duck members of their conferences.

No one on either side thinks that is a good situation for even one year, much less two or three years.
I"ve seen it before in the Big East (Boston College in 2004 before going to the ACC the following year,'' said one former conference administrator, ""and it was horrible.''

The solution seems obvious...." 

21 hours ago, Jasper_Jester said:

K State vs Ok State doesn't qualify for network TV....But K State vs Stanford did?

K-State Wildcats at Oklahoma State Cowboys: kickoff, TV info | The Kansas City Star

Big 12 conference games get put on ESPN+ often. I think ESPN+ gets 1 home game a year from each team not named OU and Texas

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2019/08/07/big-12-conference-makes-tactical-gamble-with-espn/

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

He must not be reading any football boards.  All around the country people are scratching their heads about UH.  The other Big 12 schools are REALLY dissing on UH.

I thought UH HAD to be the 2nd choice after BYU.  Big 12 had no Houston exposure.  But most people have Houston as anything but Big 12 darlings.  They are the WTF? of expansion for most people.

All the dissing from the other Big 12 schools tells me they will generate some good rivalries.

I've read the last 10 pages or so on this thread to try to get a sense of when we're most likely to get out of this POS conference.  Could someone who is following it closely and who knows shit from wild honey about the contract implications kindly handicap the possibility that we could actually be free of these rubes by 2022?  Thanks in advance...

• Hook 'Em 2

I happened across the LHN numbers for license fee, guaranteed minimum production costs, and guaranteed minimum over head costs.

Remember, the license fee is only one aspect of what ESPN committed to spend on the LHN deal. Minimum expenses for production and overhead (with annual increases) are also guaranteed by LHN.

All in all, if ESPN wanted out of LHN, and both UT and IMG agreed, ESPN would eliminate around $590 million in guaranteed expenses through the end of the LHN contract.

The total minimum guaranteed expenses to ESPN for LHN for the year beginning July 2021 is just shy of $52 million.

lhn numbers copy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I happened across the LHN numbers for license fee, guaranteed minimum production costs, and guaranteed minimum over head costs.

Remember, the license fee is only one aspect of what ESPN committed to spend on the LHN deal. Minimum expenses for production and overhead (with annual increases) are also guaranteed by LHN.

All in all, if ESPN wanted out of LHN, and both UT and IMG agreed, ESPN would eliminate around $590 million in guaranteed expenses through the end of the LHN contract.

The total minimum guaranteed expenses to ESPN for LHN for the year beginning July 2021 is just shy of $52 million.

lhn numbers copy.jpg

Guess who is paying the exit fee...

3 hours ago, bullet said:

He must not be reading any football boards.  All around the country people are scratching their heads about UH.  The other Big 12 schools are REALLY dissing on UH.

I thought UH HAD to be the 2nd choice after BYU.  Big 12 had no Houston exposure.  But most people have Houston as anything but Big 12 darlings.  They are the WTF? of expansion for most people.

All the dissing from the other Big 12 schools tells me they will generate some good rivalries.

You were probably right about where Houston ranked.  I strongly suspect that the TV input on Houston overrode the fan/admin sentiment against them and the admins were forced to accept it.  The whole situation is funny to me bc the UH side of it overvalues themselves while the TCU/Baylor/Tech/OSU side undervalues them.

I don't see UH replicating their SWC success in the Big 12.  The SEC is going to get the in-state blue chips.  Maybe Houston or one of those other schools will figure out how to leverage NIL money to compete with the upper tier of the SEC but I doubt that will happen for a sustained period of time.  The Big 12 will likely remain mostly a coaching/development league.  It'll be hard for anyone to pull ahead of the pack for very long unless or until someone's fan support / donor money pulls way ahead of the others.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Guess who is paying the exit fee...

Winner winner, chicken dinner. 

24 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

You were probably right about where Houston ranked.  I strongly suspect that the TV input on Houston overrode the fan/admin sentiment against them and the admins were forced to accept it.  The whole situation is funny to me bc the UH side of it overvalues themselves while the TCU/Baylor/Tech/OSU side undervalues them.

I don't see UH replicating their SWC success in the Big 12.  The SEC is going to get the in-state blue chips.  Maybe Houston or one of those other schools will figure out how to leverage NIL money to compete with the upper tier of the SEC but I doubt that will happen for a sustained period of time.  The Big 12 will likely remain mostly a coaching/development league.  It'll be hard for anyone to pull ahead of the pack for very long unless or until someone's fan support / donor money pulls way ahead of the others.    

All UH has to do is Snyder it and they’ll be just fine. 

UH has "sleeping giant" potential as a program.  As a P5, they can now sell their program to blue chip and four star recruits and should experience a boost in recruiting because of that.  Their future teams are going to be talented and I wouldn't be surprised to see their fanbase grow accordingly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

24 minutes ago, SwAss said:

UH has "sleeping giant" potential as a program.  As a P5, they can now sell their program to blue chip and four star recruits and should experience a boost in recruiting because of that.  Their future teams are going to be talented and I wouldn't be surprised to see their fanbase grow accordingly.  

P.J. Fleck has used the term “sleeping giant” to refer to the Minnesota football program. They claim seven national championships in football. Granted, the last one was in 1960. Does UH have any? A quick search came up empty.

3 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Houston's not about to lock down the city and shut out Bama, LSU, aggy, etc. but if they're able to get even just a few of the four stars from around the area every year that'll instantly have them as one of the most talented rosters in the Big 12. They're not going to dominate the conference long term but a good coach will have them very competitive.

1 hour ago, SwAss said:

I think UCF has even more potential, but yeah. P5 status will help all four Big 12 newbies.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Houston's not about to lock down the city and shut out Bama, LSU, aggy, etc. but if they're able to get even just a few of the four stars from around the area every year that'll instantly have them as one of the most talented rosters in the Big 12. They're not going to dominate the conference long term but a good coach will have them very competitive.

All they have to do is keep the Big 12 schools ahead of SEC schools not named LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma.  Its up to Texas to keep Alabama from stealing more than 1 or 2 players.  And LSU gets their pick in Louisiana, they only go for 4 or 5 in Texas.

7 hours ago, Slick16 said:

I've read the last 10 pages or so on this thread to try to get a sense of when we're most likely to get out of this POS conference.  Could someone who is following it closely and who knows shit from wild honey about the contract implications kindly handicap the possibility that we could actually be free of these rubes by 2022?  Thanks in advance...

Its quiet.  That means they are talking.

Big 12 has BYU coming in 2023.  The others are officially 2024, but they are publicly talking about negotiating for 2023.  So that means everyone agrees Texas and OU will be in the SEC no later than 2023.  And the anonymous quotes all say everyone wants it to happen as soon as possible.  So if the lawyers can agree on the dollars, it will happen in 2022.  Otherwise 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SwAss said:

No. Commuter school also ran. Sorry

4 hours ago, bullet said:

Its quiet.  That means they are talking.

Big 12 has BYU coming in 2023.  The others are officially 2024, but they are publicly talking about negotiating for 2023.  So that means everyone agrees Texas and OU will be in the SEC no later than 2023.  And the anonymous quotes all say everyone wants it to happen as soon as possible.  So if the lawyers can agree on the dollars, it will happen in 2022.  Otherwise 2023.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, SwAss said:

I will politely disagree. They will do what they have always done. Occasionally land one or two guys like an Oliver, but can never sustain it. 

4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I will politely disagree. They will do what they have always done. Occasionally land one or two guys like an Oliver, but can never sustain it. 

A&M is a consistent 3rd or 4th place finisher and never at the top.  They are a permanently hibernating giant.  UH will have really good years at the top and years near the bottom.  They are never going to be consistently good, but they will occasionally be.  UCF is the only one of the 4 that could be classified as a sleeping giant, but I suspect they will be more like a Texas Tech than an FSU and could potentially be more like a Rutgers.  Time will tell.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, bullet said:

A&M is a consistent 3rd or 4th place finisher and never at the top.  They are a permanently hibernating giant.  UH will have really good years at the top and years near the bottom.  They are never going to be consistently good, but they will occasionally be.  UCF is the only one of the 4 that could be classified as a sleeping giant, but I suspect they will be more like a Texas Tech than an FSU and could potentially be more like a Rutgers.  Time will tell.

I'm curious about, and hoping very much, that the move to a P5 conference and a path to the playoffs will really take BYU to the next level. We've collected quite a few P5 scalps in the last decade (USC, Texas, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Virginia, Arizona, Cal, Washington, Utah, Georgia Tech, Washington State, Oregon State) but we've also gotten waxed by LSU and Michigan in embarrassing fashion. We have lacked depth and certain skill positions, especially CB, have not been elite. 

Kalani seems to really be coming into his own and figuring this head coach thing out. He's the kind of coach you want your kids to play for. He's already been getting better at recruiting, but we lose out on a lot of elite Mormon talent that want the P5 experience. We will get more of those now and I think we will get more looks from non-Mormon talent that are cool with a faith-based institution. We have a rich QB tradition, including the #2 pick in the NFL draft last year, and that pipeline will only get better. 

BYU could be trouble in the years ahead. I hope so anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Crockett said:

I'm curious about, and hoping very much, that the move to a P5 conference and a path to the playoffs will really take BYU to the next level. We've collected quite a few P5 scalps in the last decade (USC, Texas, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Virginia, Arizona, Cal, Washington, Utah, Georgia Tech, Washington State, Oregon State) but we've also gotten waxed by LSU and Michigan in embarrassing fashion. We have lacked depth and certain skill positions, especially CB, have not been elite. 

Kalani seems to really be coming into his own and figuring this head coach thing out. He's the kind of coach you want your kids to play for. He's already been getting better at recruiting, but we lose out on a lot of elite Mormon talent that want the P5 experience. We will get more of those now and I think we will get more looks from non-Mormon talent that are cool with a faith-based institution. We have a rich QB tradition, including the #2 pick in the NFL draft last year, and that pipeline will only get better. 

BYU could be trouble in the years ahead. I hope so anyway.

Hopefully, tomorrow we can add Arizona State to that list, but I'm only cautiously optimistic.  

• Fuck You 2

The best part of us going to the SEC will be never having to watch a football game on the LHN ever again.  What a shittastic experiment this was.
Yeah, your right. A dedicated pregame show and post game show for every game, that Pittman 44 story, 05, 1969, Ricky and Earl interview, baseball games, volleyball games, and all that money Mouse gave us. It really sucked. I'm sure we'll still get all that on SECW/2.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I realize it's probably an unpopular opinion, and yeah they've put out some good programs, but I'm just annoyed after my game watching experience last night.  I know I should be angry at my dumbass self for not being better prepared after switching providers earlier this year and at Sling's shitty interface, which is what I watched it on after a quick cursory Google search.  It just amazes me that after 10 YEARS it's STILL such a bitch to find outside of ATT, Verizon, and Dish. 

12 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:
12 hours ago, Tom said:
The best part of us going to the SEC will be never having to watch a football game on the LHN ever again.  What a shittastic experiment this was.

Yeah, your right. A dedicated pregame show and post game show for every game, that Pittman 44 story, 05, 1969, Ricky and Earl interview, baseball games, volleyball games, and all that money Mouse gave us. It really sucked. I'm sure we'll still get all that on SECW/2.

We'll still get some of it.  And yeah, most of those are pretty cool things.  I haven't seen Pittman 44, but I've watched 05 and 69 a couple of times.  It's not like the SEC doesn't do the same type of programs for their schools. I guess instead of watching the same handful of nostalgia programs 500 times in a row, there'll be 15 other schools we'll have to share airtime with. 

The homefield Gameday show and pre/post game shows don't really do much for me, also probably an unpopular opinion, nor having the color commentary being total homers for your team.  I'll miss seeing former players, but that's it.  I've never watched a single volleyball game and the money doesn't seem to help us win any games at all.  We were better when we didn't have their money.  Although I have heard that teams in the SEC make a little bit of money too, so there's that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:10 PM, SwAss said:

UH has "sleeping giant" potential as a program.  As a G6, they can now sell their program to blue chip and four star recruits and should experience a boost in recruiting because of that.  Their future teams are going to be talented and I wouldn't be surprised to see their fanbase grow accordingly.  

fify

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 10:27 PM, DCLonghorn said:
On 9/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, Tom said:

*you're

On 9/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, Tom said:

LHN is great if you're a horns fan.  The pregame and postgame coverage is stuff you don't get anywhere else.  The in-game is good enough.  If you're just bitching about access, then I get it,  but go to a bar.  Wait till you watch a game on the SEC network - good lord.  They openly question the refs for any call against the SEC in a non-conf game.  They make the Hobbit look fair and balanced. 

15 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

LHN is great if you're a horns fan.  The pregame and postgame coverage is stuff you don't get anywhere else.  The in-game is good enough.  If you're just bitching about access, then I get it,  but go to a bar.  Wait till you watch a game on the SEC network - good lord.  They openly question the refs for any call against the SEC in a non-conf game.  They make the Hobbit look fair and balanced. 

I fucking hate the SEC so damn much. It is going to suck when the SEC cock suckers start crowing about SEC baseball success every time we do something good. Fuck you guys, our success or failures are ours alone not yours.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So long as I still get all my baseball games.

Live?  Don't count on it.  Instead of one network broadcasting one school's games, you're now up against 15 other baseball teams all playing weekend series on the same days at roughly the same times.  And that's just baseball.  Then there's all the softball games, and any other spring sports they choose to broadcast.