Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Really?
Our living room set is a 3 or 4 year old 50” Samsung smart tv. 
We have only watched the Spectrum cable channels.

If your remote doesn't have buttons for Netflix or whatever, depending on how old it is, you may have a SMART HUB button that looks like a stylized M inside a multi color box. Usually right in the middle of the remote. Hit that and it will take you to your TV's built in apps.

But fair warning. Samsung is not good about keeping up with updates. The built in apps stop working after a few years when they won't update. My TV is a bit older and none of the apps work anymore.

Smart TV tall not going away.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:03 PM, 'stache said:

If a network broadcasts a game without owning the rights, there are a ton of problems even beyond contract law. That's why it will need to be negotiated and bought out before a move is practical.

Texas cannot transfer an asset like its broadcast rights without the consent of the legislature.  Well they can.  But for the nonperformed part of the contract -- the future broadcasts -- it is voidable under sovereign immunity in absence of the legislature's consent.

I personally do not think the grant of rights is worth the paper it is written on.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Texas cannot transfer an asset like its broadcast rights without the consent of the legislature.  Well they can.  But for the nonperformed part of the contract -- the future broadcasts -- it is voidable under sovereign immunity in absence of the legislature's consent.

I personally do not think the grant of rights is worth the paper it is written on.

so... why was it written at all?  did a bunch of other people who don't know Texas contract law think they had something?  was this written so everyone would be "kinda" contractually bound to each other, until they weren't?

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

so... why was it written at all?  did a bunch of other people who don't know Texas contract law think they had something?  was this written so everyone would be "kinda" contractually bound to each other, until they weren't?

I am not 100 percent sure it is not enforceable.  It has not been tested.  So that uncertainty does provide some value to the Big 12's legal position and leverage.  I think it was largely about projecting stability for the league's health.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

GORs have been tested and used in private deal between record labels/artists and production/distribution companies but these have been for past rights for private entities like songs, movies or TV shows.

The Big 12 GOR is for future rights for a state entity in a state that still has strong sovereign immunity laws. If this goes to court Texas will win and the Big 12 will lose.  For private institutions in other states the GOR means something but for most public schools it’s not worth much because it’s not enforceable via the court system.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

GORs have been tested and used in private deal between record labels/artists and production/distribution companies but these have been for past rights for private entities like songs, movies or TV shows.

The Big 12 GOR is for future rights for a state entity in a state that still has strong sovereign immunity laws. If this goes to court Texas will win and the Big 12 will lose.  For private institutions in other states the GOR means something but for most public schools it’s not worth much because it’s not enforceable via the court system.

im not convinced that we would win that court cases with the grant of rights but it would be interesting to find out.  

On 9/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Snacks said:

i come back to this thread and we're still talking about how old people do/don't know how to find "channels".

realign some shit.

It's better than what this thread was before UT/OU dropped the SEC bomb this summer.  This was nothing more than endless posts of fan fic over hundreds of never-gonna-happen realignment scenarios with no real news.

Edited by TrashMaster G
typing is hard
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's better than what this thread was before UT/OU dropped the SEC bomb this summer.  This was nothing more than endless posts of fan fic over hundreds of never-gonna-happen realignment scenarios with no real news.

Best part is how wrong some of the fan fiction was 

Texas A&M-Commerce formerly known as East Texas State, my alma mater, is leaving D2 and moving up to FCS. We're joining the Southland Conference. I'm excited! This will help with recruiting and putting more asses in seats at the games. 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/09/29/report-texas-a-m-commerce-to-join-the-southland-conference?ref=article_preview_img

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Texas A&M-Commerce formerly known as East Texas State, my alma mater, is leaving D2 and moving up to FCS. We're joining the Southland Conference. I'm excited! This will help with recruiting and putting more asses in seats at the games. 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/09/29/report-texas-a-m-commerce-to-join-the-southland-conference?ref=article_preview_img

Good for them.  They should do well in FCS.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If it makes you feel better Zeus, U of H sucks and would almost certainly get boatraced by UTSA. 

Our Satellite schools out here taking down mother fuckers.

Fertitta and Houston are a perfect fit for this clownshow conference.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:12 AM, Longboard Horn said:

West Texas A&M (where I got my MA) had a huge donor event at the new stadium a few days ago. There was talk they were going to announce there they’d be joining the Soufland as well but it was just a fundraiser. With their facilities, strong programs, and support, WT should be in a D1 FCS conference.  They might be waiting on a WAC invite as that makes the most sense considering location.

I’ve also heard the Soufland was looking at Angelo State, but not sure how true that is.

If the AAC raids CUSA, you have to wonder if the 4 Texas schools who left for the WAC might be regretting now not waiting a year as they probably could get CUSA invites. Closer travel wise and more regional rivals.

52 minutes ago, Pancho said:

West Texas A&M (where I got my MA) had a huge donor event at the new stadium a few days ago. There was talk they were going to announce there they’d be joining the Soufland as well but it was just a fundraiser. With their facilities, strong programs, and support, WT should be in a D1 FCS conference.  They might be waiting on a WAC invite as that makes the most sense considering location.

I’ve also heard the Soufland was looking at Angelo State, but not sure how true that is.

If the AAC raids CUSA, you have to wonder if the 4 Texas schools who left for the WAC might be regretting now not waiting a year as they probably could get CUSA invites. Closer travel wise and more regional rivals.

The Southland would want basically all the Lone Star Conference Texas football schools.  In football, they are down to 6 with the 4 Louisiana schools, Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word.  Commerce brings them to 7.  Taking West TAMU, UTPB, Angelo St, Midwestern St, and TAMU-K would get them to 12 football, 14 all sports members.  But with the exception of Kingsville, the rest of the fb teams are in a pretty solid geographic footprint spanning from New Mexico, through West Texas to Oklahoma so I could see their hesitation to upgrade to spend move of facilities and travel.  When they have multiple NAIA/DIII upgrade candidates within that footprint that could backfill with.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

Might be the coming months as AAC tries to reload after losing UH, UCF and Cincinnati.

In all seriousness, I think UTSA is in a pretty good spot. The Spurs are the only pro sports team/competition in a very large and growing city. Their football facilities are brand spanking new. The campus is in one of the nicest parts of San Antonio. Improving academics. The Alamodome would be the nicest home stadium in Conference USA or the AAC. And most importantly, they have a good coach. 

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

The Southland would want basically all the Lone Star Conference Texas football schools.  In football, they are down to 6 with the 4 Louisiana schools, Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word.  Commerce brings them to 7.  Taking West TAMU, UTPB, Angelo St, Midwestern St, and TAMU-K would get them to 12 football, 14 all sports members.  But with the exception of Kingsville, the rest of the fb teams are in a pretty solid geographic footprint spanning from New Mexico, through West Texas to Oklahoma so I could see their hesitation to upgrade to spend move of facilities and travel.  When they have multiple NAIA/DIII upgrade candidates within that footprint that could backfill with.

Well the rumor I always heard about WT when I was there was they could go D1 if they wanted to (they get offers every year apparently) but the administration just doesn’t want to.  I was always told they like being D2, and that was from one of the asst. football coaches at the time. (How he taught a grad class, I don’t know.)

The rumors in Houston for the last year or so was Texas Southern and PVAMU were going to move to the Soufland.  There have been a few HBCUs move out of the MEAC into more “traditional” conferences lately so this isn’t surprising.  

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If it makes you feel better Zeus, U of H sucks and would almost certainly get boatraced by UTSA. 

Funny thing is, that’s already happened. U of H hates UTSA because in 2014 to open the season the roadrunners blew them out in their brand new stadium. A lot of the students were mad saying damn our guys didn’t even win the first game in the new stadium and didn’t even get the first touchdown. 🤣🤣🤣

• Hook 'Em 1

I could see West TAMU possibly making the jump. Midwestern State is iffy. With us out of the way there’s not much competition for them to win the Lonestar conference every year. UTPB I don’t think that would happen because they can’t compete.

34 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well the rumor I always heard about WT when I was there was they could go D1 if they wanted to (they get offers every year apparently) but the administration just doesn’t want to.  I was always told they like being D2, and that was from one of the asst. football coaches at the time. (How he taught a grad class, I don’t know.)

The rumors in Houston for the last year or so was Texas Southern and PVAMU were going to move to the Soufland.  There have been a few HBCUs move out of the MEAC into more “traditional” conferences lately so this isn’t surprising.  

Yep, I believe it, but rumor is the aggy system is trying to push their schools up to DI and was a big reason behind Tarleton and Commerce moving.

Yes, I heard about TX Southern and PVAMU, reportedly the SLC reached out to them and Grambling/Southern in Louisiana which makes sense if they are willing to leave the HBU conference.

That might be best options for everyone, grab TAMU-K and the SLC would be set and the Lone Star Conference would be able to reload.

15 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I could see West TAMU possibly making the jump. Midwestern State is iffy. With us out of the way there’s not much competition for them to win the Lonestar conference every year. UTPB I don’t think that would happen because they can’t compete.

UTPB still has a young football program, but one of the reasons they added fb was to make them attractive to DI conferences. The goal is to further their academic mission through athletics and to join UTEP, UTSA, UTA, and UTRGV in DI.  UTT just moved to DII and UTD was considering joining them pre-COVID but they have all stated that their ultimate goal is to play in DI with the rest of the UT schools.  So while you are likely correct that they may not be ready to compete, that goal is likely secondary.

The University of California System has 7 DI institutions to 5 in The University of Texas System.

Yep, I believe it, but rumor is the aggy system is trying to push their schools up to DI and was a big reason behind Tarleton and Commerce moving.

Yes, I heard about TX Southern and PVAMU, reportedly the SLC reached out to them and Grambling/Southern in Louisiana which makes sense if they are willing to leave the HBU conference.

That might be best options for everyone, grab TAMU-K and the SLC would be set and the Lone Star Conference would be able to reload.

I don't know how long TAMUK is for this world, that's a school that's out look isn't great and has a bleak student enrolment future.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I don't know how long TAMUK is for this world, that's a school that's out look isn't great and has a bleak student enrolment future.

I’ve heard rumors but didn’t know the specifics.  5 years back Sharp tried to merge Kingsville into TAMUCC but I didn’t hear the reasons why.

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’ve heard rumors but didn’t know the specifics.  5 years back Sharp tried to merge Kingsville into TAMUCC but I didn’t hear the reasons why.

Because they do anything possible to keep as much of the system money in college station as possible to pay for shit like stadiums, head football coaches, and defensive coordinators. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Man, their facilities are terrible, granted I haven't had to ref there in a few years. High schools have better football and basketball arenas than TAMU-K.

29 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Heard it was because TAMU-CC was getting bigger in enrollment and Kingsville was struggling, both with enrollment, facilities/buildings, and just money.  They were going to call is TAMU-Coastal Bend or some such.  I think TAMU-CC is building a new basketball arena, or is raising money to do so so they don't have to play half their games at the American Bank Center (which they have to pay for that). 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Basically TAMUK's bread and butter was getting kids from the Valley who wanted to stay close to home. The only programs that actually attracted kids where the Ranching and Wildlife and Engineering and specifically their natural gas program. UTRGV has decimated the enrollment of kids from the Valley, not a whole lot of people want to get into O&G engineering now and Sharp has made it to so that all pretty much all TDA and Agrilife research funding get funneled to College Station. Basically there is very little reason to pick TAMUK over TAMCC, UTRGV, if you want to stay in South Texas. That and Kingsville is an absolute fucking shithole. 

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Rumor going around that the American Conference will extend an invite to Air Force and Colorado State next week.

I assume that means Army is up next as a football only invite.

I've never understood Colorado State's appeal other than Fort Collins is nice. 

Smart choice to lock up the service academies. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've never understood Colorado State's appeal other than Fort Collins is nice. 

Smart choice to lock up the service academies. 

Growing population, growing enrollment, brand new-ish (2017) on campus football stadium shows commitment to athletics, #2 university in the state, academically on par with other P5 Western “State” Universities (K State, OkSU, ASU, OrSU, WSU), annual home/home rivalry with the CU Buffaloes AND Fort Collins is also nice.

Getting Army, Navy, Air Force in the same division in the same conference would be huge.  They’d have 4 OOC games to use for recruitment purpose (including Navy/ND) and 6 other conference games strategically place in/near major population centers around the country.  The AAC would be high profile enough to have them included in the playoff conversation on good years but not so high that their programs would be routinely embarrassed on the national stage.

My guess is you’ll see wonky divisions catering to the academies:

Army, Navy, Air Force, SMU, USF, Tulane

CSU, Tulsa, Memphis, ECU, Temple, ?

One the plus side, maybe UTEP/UTSA get invited to join the MWC now…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Growing population, growing enrollment, brand new-ish (2017) on campus football stadium shows commitment to athletics, #2 university in the state, academically on par with other P5 Western “State” Universities (K State, OkSU, ASU, OrSU, WSU), annual home/home rivalry with the CU Buffaloes AND Fort Collins is also nice.

Getting Army, Navy, Air Force in the same division in the same conference would be huge.  They’d have 4 OOC games to use for recruitment purpose (including Navy/ND) and 6 other conference games strategically place in/near major population centers around the country.  The AAC would be high profile enough to have them included in the playoff conversation on good years but not so high that their programs would be routinely embarrassed on the national stage.

My guess is you’ll see wonky divisions catering to the academies:

Army, Navy, Air Force, SMU, USF, Tulane

CSU, Tulsa, Memphis, ECU, Temple, ?

One the plus side, maybe UTEP/UTSA get invited to join the MWC now…

UAB for that last spot?

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

UAB for that last spot?

Maybe, but if they are trying for the best football I assume they might try for Boise as a football only again like they almost had before the Big East fb fell apart.  I think Boise was going to put its other sports in the Big West back then and now that WAC is also an option too.

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Rumor going around that the American Conference will extend an invite to Air Force and Colorado State next week.

I assume that means Army is up next as a football only invite.

Am I misremembering, or wasn't Army in the American for a while? Or maybe that was C-USA? I just have a weird memory of them and Tulsa being in the same conference for a while, lol. 

EDIT - just looked it up. Army was in C-USA from 1998-2004. Tulsa joined C-USA in 2005, so not any overlap, just old man brain.

Edited by oSuJeff97

On 9/26/2021 at 3:10 PM, TKthunder2 said:

UTPB still has a young football program, but one of the reasons they added fb was to make them attractive to DI conferences. The goal is to further their academic mission through athletics and to join UTEP, UTSA, UTA, and UTRGV in DI.  UTT just moved to DII and UTD was considering joining them pre-COVID but they have all stated that their ultimate goal is to play in DI with the rest of the UT schools.  So while you are likely correct that they may not be ready to compete, that goal is likely secondary.

The University of California System has 7 DI institutions to 5 in The University of Texas System.

Not really out of whack relative to the populations of the two states.  In fact, that really tilts to Texas.  Granted, the UC schools are, on the whole, more established and prestigious.