Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

For sure. Just not reciprocated. 

You don’t think having tortillas flung at you at night is a cool experience? It might toughen those kids up to see Stillwater and the Panhandle. See what it’s like to grow up in the middle of nowhere…😁

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Okie State said:
4 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:
Really?  Do you have a pamphlet or something to distribute?

Just correcting your incorrect statement. That's all. Carry on.

My apologies, I thought you were from Iowa St.  OSU has a strong top to bottom athletic program.  

20 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

OSU and ISU I get. Maybe Tech, but why KState?  Do they bring anything?

Everything being reported should be taken with a large pinch of salt. It’s the Twitter equivalent of a chaotic newsroom scene with papers flying everywhere.

Craig Way told a good story on his radio show. 5 min before they went on the air for the 2011 UCLA game, a high ranking UT admin guy came into the booth and said, “well, it’s official guys. Texas is moving to the ACC.”

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

You don’t think having tortillas flung at you at night is a cool experience? It might toughen those kids up to see Stillwater and the Panhandle. See what it’s like to grow up in the middle of nowhere…😁

Like a Grapes of Wrath ride at Disneyland. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

FIFY. Fuck TCU and Baylor. I hope they get left out to dry.   They've been nothing but poisonous leaches to us and Baylor still deserves the death penalty.  

Abso-fucking-lutely.  With Briles the one to take that punishment.

19 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Swaim is about as credible as that MHver guy at WVU from 10 years ago.  

This. Goddamnit if he’s saying it were fucked. Look out East Carolina, we’re comin’ for you!

Edited by 'stache

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

for all of yall saying WVU is an “easy add” to the ACC, man their message boards do not agree.  I’ve checked out several of them in the last 24 hours and the consensus on them all is they have been told before the ACC doesn’t want them. 

They also don’t think they are Big10 material because they aren’t AAU.

WVU getting fucked by this move brings me great pleasure

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who knows if this guy has any actual sources, but it would make a lot of sense for the PAC to act quickly grab 2-4 teams from the Big12.  The other conference in threat of breaking up is the ACC and none of those schools would move to the PAC due to geography, so this is really their best opportunity to ever get to 16 P5 worthy teams.  I think Tech and OSU are no brainers, and ISU could make some sense but I dont get the KSU move at all. I'd definitely rather push for KU than KSU.  And I could also see them going after another Texas team, even though I hope that doesn't happen. 

PAC locking those 4 up first gets Texas off the hook for the SEC move and makes political opposition MOOT because there won't be a conference left for Texas to be potentially "forced" to be in.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

WVU fans at their tailgates said the ACC will never take them because their academics aren't up to the conference's standard. Take it fwiw.

48 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but they took Louisville. 

Yeah that's the "official" reason. The real reason is nobody likes them. I'd bet WVU makes the top 5 for every ACC school's list of worst fanbases. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who knows if this guy has any actual sources, but it would make a lot of sense for the PAC to act quickly grab 2-4 teams from the Big12.  The other conference in threat of breaking up is the ACC and none of those schools would move to the PAC due to geography, so this is really their best opportunity to ever get to 16 P5 worthy teams.  I think Tech and OSU are no brainers, and ISU could make some sense but I dont get the KSU move at all. I'd definitely rather push for KU than KSU.  And I could also see them going after another Texas team, even though I hope that doesn't happen. 

The main insider on the TCU board had this today about the "upcoming B12 meeting"

There is another Big 12 member, having known for months where this was headed, that's also been preparing a possible exit path to a fellow Power 5. They were VERY quiet yesterday.

If UT/OU were confronted behind closed doors, they would have admitted their dissatisfaction and ongoing discussion of leaving post-2025, yes. I believe this because Jay did admit this 1-1 in the past few weeks to a fellow Big 12 President.

Problem with the alliance forming: Hard to do when, as you suggest, all feet may be out the door. That's what VBo and a few other leaders are working on now. But, they won't rest if the answers aren't clear and unequivocal... This is all going to move both very fast and slow over the next 3-6-12 months.

Maybe the answer is KU got tipped off by OU and made plans already (even if it hard to believe) to the B10...

Or WVU to the ACC...

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah that's the "official" reason. The real reason is nobody likes them. I'd bet WVU makes the top 5 for every ACC school's list of worst fanbases. 

They must be awful to their rivals because most UT fans have liked having them around, silly Horns Down game aside.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

for all of yall saying WVU is an “easy add” to the ACC, man their message boards do not agree.  I’ve checked out several of them in the last 24 hours and the consensus on them all is they have been told before the ACC doesn’t want them. 

They also don’t think they are Big10 material because they aren’t AAU.

Yes but what the ACC wants and what might need to happen are two different things. The deal about when the SEC does a move, it creates moves by other conferences. You really think the Big 10 wanted to take Rutgers and Maryland? Or the ACC wanted Pitt and Louisville? The ACC will want to get to 16 and tie down Notre Dame for good. 

As far as Swaim, do not take what that says with any sort of credence. He's an oSu alum and he's been spouting things for 8 years that never happened. The Pac 12 might want to do something but they are the low man on the totem pole and unless Fox wants to kick in more money, there's no reason or way that an already unhappy group of 12 with their standing in the world is going to want to split their meager pie with 4 more who do not really bring in markets. I love our ISU, oSu, and Tech brothers but I also see the reality of these schools do not bring enough to the Pac 12 for it to be worth Fox's money since Fox still has the bulk of the Big 10 inventory. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The main insider on the TCU board had this today about the "upcoming B12 meeting"

Maybe the answer is KU got tipped off by OU and made plans already (even if it hard to believe) to the B10...

Or WVU to the ACC...

Ohhh this is juicy. I wonder who it is.

Also re WVU to ACC: maybe academics were a problem in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tone changes when conference survival is on the line

14 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Or WVU to the ACC...

I think it's Kansas. Kansas basketball inventory would be enough of a boon for the Big 10 that KU's football isn't a big deal. Throw them in the Iowa/NU division. The better question is who is the 16th?

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They must be awful to their rivals because most UT fans have liked having them around, silly Horns Down game aside.

I taught at WVU until last year (hence the username). They considered Texas their rivals which is the funniest shit ever.

Passionate fanbase but also pretty shitty. Just like the place itself (I left and am very happy I did).

27 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

I don’t know where this came from (this is like the 3rd post on this thread saying this) but that’s not how FOIA/Open Records Requests work. Having a private school in a conference or a non public person/ entity on a communication don’t do shit. Do we not remember the “Tech Problem” emails and the Eyes of Texas emails that came out?

I've heard that bullshit since I was in college decades ago.  Every conference has at least one private school so they can keep their business private.  Never made any sense to me.  I think it's like the "drain water spins the opposite way in the southern hemisphere" thing - doesn't matter how many times people debunk it, it just comes back.

26 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

I don’t know where this came from (this is like the 3rd post on this thread saying this) but that’s not how FOIA/Open Records Requests work. Having a private school in a conference or a non public person/ entity on a communication don’t do shit. Do we not remember the “Tech Problem” emails and the Eyes of Texas emails that came out?

The way it’s was explained to me (and it could be bullshit) was that email and communications with public schools are obviously subject to FOIA.  But the conference can have private emails between conference employees that are exempt.  Without a private school included FOIA can petition for access to all conference records under the subject that only only pertain to public entities that are subject to FOIA.  Public entities can’t setup shell corporations to hide from FOIA or else everyone would simply do that for everything, and while this wouldn’t be a shell corp it would be governed by similar restrictions.

I've heard that bullshit since I was in college decades ago.  Every conference has at least one private school so they can keep their business private.  Never made any sense to me.  I think it's like the "drain water spins the opposite way in the southern hemisphere" thing - doesn't matter how many times people debunk it, it just comes back.

Wait. The coriolis effect is bullshit?

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Morgantown. Get it?

It's just not exactly people's first leap from "Motown".

And your explanation makes sense, but man were they a fun away weekend. Small, rural and hyper into it, kind of like much of the SEC.

Edited by texifornia