Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets be clear, a&m didn't "get wind" of anything. That implies they uncovered something on their own. They were finally told it was happening because it was happening and they had to be told at one point, so they got the Birds and the Bees about who fucks and who gets fucked, and then they started their predictable and hilarious meltdown. Don't even imply any credit that they figured something out. They got told. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't understand how Kurt bohls can be so bad at his job.  I mean six months to a year of these negotiations and you don't have the slightest clue until aggie leaks it.  You don't even get the off the record story in the last six months solely as a means so that you don't look like a jackass with your tweets the last two days.  Now two days later you finally get some correct information.  Congrats.  Way to cover your beat. Two days later you finally get some good info. 

Aggy, Baylor, TCU, and Tech hopes all fall on Abbott to stop this. By the time Abbott is forced to weigh in some of those four schools may have already lined up their exodus.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Just accept ISU’s place on the pecking order and move forward. It’s time to quit bitching and embrace reality. I enjoy playing ISU, as you’ve fielded solid teams over the years. However, Texas and OU have no obligation to prop up this shitty conference. 

I think he knows that. He wants a conference where the lead teams do not think it is shitty and are always threatening to fuck their partners over.

I kind of want that. I hope once we end up in the SEC everybody will stop the constant and tiresome bitching about the "shitty conference" fuck. I am so fucking tired of conference whining.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, deech said:

I don't understand how Kurt bohls can be so bad at his job.  I mean six months to a year of these negotiations and you don't have the slightest clue until aggie leaks it.  You don't even get the off the record story in the last six months solely as a means so that you don't look like a jackass with your tweets the last two days.  Now two days later you finally get some correct information.  Congrats.  Way to cover your beat. Two days later you finally get some good info. 

Aggy, Baylor, TCU, and Tech hopes all fall on Abbott to stop this. By the time Abbott is forced to weigh in some of those four schools may have already lined up their exodus.  

Just 2 days ago he was mocking it publicly on Twitter lmao

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I think the point Huck, I think, was making was the difference is those blue bloods have been together for a century.   The Big 12 was merging blue bloods and having multiple alphas in a room who haven't figured out how to alpha together, was a cage match waiting to happen.   In the end, Nebraska was kneecapped and didn't like it.

Even if you consider Pedo and Nebby blue bloods, by the time they entered the Big Ten they were both neutered at entry and brought to knee by the Buckeyes.

On the flip side, the SEC has never expanded with a school brand the likes of the Sooners, let alone Texas, there is bound to be some fireworks if it occurs, even if it doesn't happen for years.  

Additionally, this instability isn't like before.   This is caused by a seismic shift occurring that is redefining what this sport will be.   Texas and Oklahoma are already losing ground in recruiting to the powers that be around them who are well versed in not playing by the rules.  Its easier to fightback inside that bubble than outside.   

I wouldn't argue that.

30 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

However this turns out I am impressed that this was able to remain a secret for 6 months until Aggy got wind of it and tried to blow it up.

I wonder if they had a gentleman's agreement with the SEC not to leak conference business?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Hope for the left behinds?

PAC is just gonna play the “they reached out to us first” game because they don’t wanna be seen as the one to deliver the final kill shot to a major conference by actively recruiting remaining members

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The remaining Big 12 teams better jump on this quick before someone at the PAC 12 does due diligence on whether the tv contracts will even increase enough to justify splitting the pie more ways.

Most definitely. I don't know why the Pac 12 would do it but that could set Tech and oSu apart from TCU and Baylor going forward. West coast matchups, high flying offenses, California and Arizona recruiting. That's something to sell to your recruits and fans on that's a lot better than playing with SMU and Houston. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The remaining Big 12 teams better jump on this quick before someone at the PAC 12 does due diligence on whether the tv contracts will even increase enough to justify splitting the pie more ways.

I mean these are all entirely new markets with Central Time zones for the PAC. A few of our state schools would be good value to them, especially considering their current situation.

Edited by Valmy77

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I think he knows that. He wants a conference where the lead teams do not think it is shitty and are always threatening to fuck their partners over.

I kind of want that. I hope once we end up in the SEC everybody will stop the constant and tiresome bitching about the "shitty conference" fuck. I am so fucking tired of conference whining.

I don’t think we’ve fucked anyone over.  We threw everyone a life raft four years ago while being given the finger.  

and why would osu or um ever dream about leaving the big ten?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That statement further shows PAC would have been the worst decision we could have made. God bless Lord Hartzell.

I love west coast road trips but let's just take those future Bama, Florida, and Georgia home and homes and make that with Pac 12 teams like Washington, Oregon, and USC. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

PAC is just gonna play the “they reached out to us first” game because they don’t wanna be seen as the one to deliver the final kill shot to a major conference by actively recruiting remaining members

Doesn't all this they reached out to us stuff have to do with avoiding being accused of tortious interference? Which has to do with intentionally interfering with contractual relations. That is why even if the SEC reached out that will never be the story line for years to come.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of people terrible at their job.  What does the Big 12 commissioner do day to day if not to anticipate and try to prevent this apocalypse?  I mean if conference call is your response to news breaking you are terrible at your job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The root cause of aggy frustrations is the simple fact, that when the big boys want to make a deal……they bring something to the table. Mostly money and tradition…that includes actually winning something significant in ones lifetime.
So it isn’t so much a shadow they lived under……they just have very small penises. 

15 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Can someone please educate me on why the cultural fit card is being played citing we will not be a good fit in the SEC?

It's like they've never met a Vandy grad.  Vanderbilt alums look down at SMU and Baylor alums like they dropped out of Prairie View.  The only non-Ivy alums I've met that are worse are Rice grads.  

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Can someone please educate me on why the cultural fit card is being played citing we will not be a good fit in the SEC?

It's not like our recruiting base exclusively comes from the wealthy zip codes in the Metroplex, Houston, or any others across the state.

And neither does our student body for that matter.     I get we have higher academics standards, etc., than a number of institutions in the SEC and it needs to stay there.   But we don't go around sipping wine and  eating cheese on crackers at our tailgates and other functions like they do somewhere like  a Stanford for crying out loud.  

Because dipshits on here care more about a vacation spot than success.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

They don't even have to be that coy. Once the letter Texas and OU formally give the Big 12 next week hits their offices, it will be public open season. It's probably been private open season for a week now. 

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Just about everyone in the SEC and Big 10 has a large enrollment, alumni base and a massive stadium.  They play their games in front of 80,000+ people.   Even in the original Big 12, Texas, OU, aggy and Nebraska were the only teams filling mega stadiums.   Since then we’ve lost two of those schools and added TCU and WVU.  TCU built a new stadium during Patterson’s peak run and made it smaller than their old one.

The PAC 12 doesn’t really care about football outside of 2 or 3 schools, the ACC doesn’t really care about football outside of 3 or 4 schools, and the Big 12 is full of smallvilles that draw a crowd of 45,000 to the game.  The SEC and the Big 10 are the big leagues.

Of the two, the SEC is a better fit.  We actually don’t fit culturally very well with either - a SWC or Big 12 fits us better if they could actually work.  But at least the SEC isn’t a 5 hour flight to everywhere, it’s not cold, it’s where the good recruits are, and they have a certain Southern good-nature to balance their dumb yokel bullshit, whereas the Big 10 is basically Philadelphia Eagles fans.  The Big 10 schools themselves may have prestige and an air of sophistication, but the actual people in the fan bases have a critical mass of trashy soccer hooligans from dead Rust Belt towns that Bruce Springsteen would sing about.  At least Mississippi puts their depressing existence aside and makes the Grove nice for visitors.

BIG has some solid towns like Madison, Chicago, and Minneapolis. Problem is more than half the schedule you're playing some sleepy ass game against Purdue, IU, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Maryland, or Rutgers at 10a with Doris Burke announcing. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I love this argument, suggesting that Greg Abbott's staff diligently marks every donor's contribution with a notation of their alma mater so the Governor can always keep in mind the need to satisfy football allegiances when he's making political decisions.  I need to joint Twitter just so I can follow Chin Pubes for the next several weeks and overdose on laughing.

I don't think he understands what a governor does