Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Do you want Texas to have a powerhouse football program again? Then the Pac 12 would've been a disastrous decision. They don't GAF about football out there. The conference is borderline irrelevant in every sport that matters to us. But, yay, we'd get road trips to California! Personally, I'd rather see games in Athens, Oxford, Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, etc.

I live in California so the Pac 12 would've been great for me.  But recruiting as a Pac 12 school while ou and aggy are in the SEC?  Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey bud, just a friendly heads up. You're about one hour behind on these tweets, which means you're about 4 pages behind in real time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Because OU is confident enough to make their own decisions - and if the best option is joining your biggest rival, they don’t have some inferiority complex that precludes them from making that decision.  

This isn’t hard Mandel (said his wife).  

We're just better together and need each other.  I suspect our leaders look at it as a partnership rather than who's the alpha in this arrangement?  We both got the end goal we desired. Like tosu and UM may hate each other but if they were faced with this situation, they'd act together.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Because OU is confident enough to make their own decisions - and if the best option is joining your biggest rival, they don’t have some inferiority complex that precludes them from making that decision.  

OU has been complaining about the Big 12 for years and they just got into it with the Commissioner over their time slots for their games.

I don't understand why Mandel might not consider they might be driving the bus on this.

Just now, closetohumping said:

We're just better together and need each other.  I suspect our leaders look at it as a partnership rather than who's the alpha in this arrangement?  We both got the end goal we desired. Like tosu and UM may hate each other but if they were faced with this situation, they'd act together.

Yeah if either of us wanted to leave the other was bound to go along with it. It wasn't like we could stay in the Big 12 without OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas and Oklahoma could make their move to the SEC official in a matter of weeks, ESPN has confirmed.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Friday that a Big 12 source believed talks between the SEC and the two schools had been ongoing for more than six months, though Texas A&M had been left out of the discussions. An SEC source told ESPN's Heather Dinich that it's inaccurate that A&M was left out of the conversation.

The report also said the move could become official in a matter of weeks. A high level administrator said his understanding of the situation mirrors that timeline.

Excerpt from an ESPN story

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Probably discussed in the previous 50 pages, but how much do you think the pandemic played into this?  Texas has always know the Big 12 wasn't going to be forever.  A year ago, the Big 10 and Pac 12 had to seem like legit options, with the SEC kind of on the outside.  

Then Covid hits, and the Pac 12 and Big 10 look like monkeys fucking a football.  No leadership.  Wishy washy.  Cost their programs millions.  Meanwhile the SEC leads the way, comes up with a plan that works, executes it, plays almost every game.  

Its hard to have any confidence in the leadership of the Pac 12 and Big 10 after the past year.

I seriously doubt that the Big 10 or PAC 12 were ever serious options for reasons I have discussed endlessly on this board. Neither provide the recruiting boost either school wants and neither provides more money. Going to the SEC or staying in the Big 12 were the best options.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

OU guy

unfortunately, I see a lot of truth here.  Not entirely sure we are "blaming the Big 12" for our lack of success, but perception of it isn't helping.  Chuck, Mensa, and Patterson are 95% of the blame - i.e. we fucked ourselves.  Seems under CDC and Hartzel we have decided to no longer do so. 

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

This is the best part so far. Knowing what whining, petulant shitheads aggys are, the S!E!C! powers simply excluded them from the entire discussion for SIX MONTHS! and merrily whistled past them, not telling them a damned thing.

I think that shows how aggys is looked at among those conference administrators.

No idea if true but reads like the typical kurk troll click bait tweet

3 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

unfortunately, I see a lot of truth here.  Not entirely sure we are "blaming the Big 12" for our lack of success, but perception of it isn't helping.  Chuck, Mensa, and Patterson are 95% of the blame - i.e. we fucked ourselves.  Seems under CDC and Hartzel we have decided to no longer do so. 

I don't think winning football has anything directly to do with this. This is entirely about money. But us sucking certainly hurt the value of the Big 12 so there is a roll to play there. If Chuck and Herman were winning big the Big 12 would be in much better financial position. I bet that this move was a result of looking at the prospects for continuing to keep up with the SEC and Big 10 on a per school financial basis and seeing that the future prospects after 2025 were not good.

But I also challenge the idea that OU was doing great competitively and did not feel that the Big 12 was not pulling them down...mostly because they have been bitching endlessly about just that for years.

Edited by Valmy77

4 minutes ago, Prime said:

Big bad Texas just dragging poor OU along. 

This is a classic example of why your average college football fan gets so bent out of shape about anything business related even glancing off of their beloved sport. In their little corner of the world it's all amateurism, school pride, honor, and tradition. I get it. You guys get it. We were all in that boat a decade ago. But you can't stop progress. The college football landscape, since the BCS era and maybe even before, has been money, school pride, money, and money. You can either wail, gnash your teeth, and wax poetic about years past or you can survey the landscape and realize that the times aren't just changing; they've changed. A&M thought they were brought into the SEC because of culture, tradition, and hard-nosed football. They had an inkling that money played a role, but failed to grasp the changing landscape around them.

It's well beyond reading the tea leaves, at this point. A&M was staring into their cup while a whole Starbucks was built around them.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I don't think winning football has anything to do with this. This is entirely about money. But us sucking certainly hurt the value of the Big 12 so there is a roll to play there. If Chuck and Herman were winning big the Big 12 would be in much better financial position.

But I also challenge the idea that OU was doing great competitively and did not feel that the Big 12 was not pulling them down...mostly because they have been bitching endlessly about just that for years.

I don’t think it’s entirely about money

its about leveling the recruiting advantages the SEC has that has been amplified by the NIL ruling. Texas saw this as necessary to keep pace and protect its National brand. And I think OU agreees

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I got quite a few buddies that went to Wazzu.  It's next to the Tri Cities, which compared to Lubbock, you know what, nevermind.

Tri Cities is pretty nice.  140-150 miles away from Pullman, give or take, but ok.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I don’t think it’s entirely about money

its about leveling the recruiting advantages the SEC has that has been amplified by the NIL ruling. Texas saw this as necessary to keep pace and protect its National brand. And I think OU agreees

Granted, which isn't entirely not about money. 

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

If would be shocked if this is true. A&M would probably sue the **** out of the conference if something this massive was kept in the dark on purpose”

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3211187/2#discussion

Their shit is falling apart. They distrust their SEC idol. They think Bohls is a Texas mouthpiece. Conspiracies everywhere. 

96A08122-25A9-4794-B9F4-3FBCC7128D35.gif

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

“Makes sense regionally” to not have the two Texas programs in the SEC that are just 2 hours apart in the same pod? They scared

Arkansas, OU, Texas, and A&M make the most sense regionally. But this is a conference that put Missouri in the East so who knows?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I've never blamed the Big 12 for our lack of success since we never win it anyway.  I do blame it for my relative lack of interest in the majority of conference games we're not playing.  And for making me watch that commercial where Kliff Kingsbury morphs into Charlie Weis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I got quite a few buddies that went to Wazzu.  It's next to the Tri Cities, which compared to Lubbock, you know what, nevermind.

It isn't even that close to the Tri-cities. Kennewick to Pullman is more than a 2hr. drive. Spokane is an hour closer.

24 minutes ago, Nivek said:

If we do make the jump we should put up a sec logo on the field that is 2x the size of aggy for the first year. And see if they take the bait to make their whole field an sec logo.

If this goes through I would bet they would SEC a lot less

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I've never blamed the Big 12 for our lack of success since we never win it anyway.  I do blame it for my relative lack of interest in the majority of conference games we're not playing.  And for making me watch that commercial where Kliff Kingsbury morphs into Charlie Weis.

As somebody who always tried to sell people on why the Big 12 was best for Texas it was an endless frustration that I kept saying that we would be excellently set up for the playoff when the win the conference and that we can do so consistently. But since that never happened I never got to see if my theory was actually true or ever be vindicated. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Mandel is such a click bait dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Let's call a spade a spade. The NIL ruling neutered the NCAA. Leagues are free to do whatever the hell they want, which means water is most definitely going to find its level. For the most part, this means everyone will be reacting to what the SEC does. If we want to have any influence over how this shakes out, we have to be in the room. All of the rest of it is a byproduct of this simple fact.

• Hook 'Em 7

I'm thinking about how this fits in with the new SEC/ESPN deal.

ESPN bought 10 years of exclusive rights to SEC football/basketball for $3B (CBS no longer gets their weekly pick of the litter).  That deal was finalized December 2020.  

Seeing that discussions started with the SEC ~6 months ago, was Texas/OU joining part of the calculus?  If not, does the deal get restructured now (seems like SEC has a pretty good case), sending more money back to the SEC schools?

This is such a fucking home run for ESPN.  Not sure exactly how it gets wrapped up, but (to some extent) wash your hands of your $15M/yr (plus operating costs) LHN obligation, and then add Texas and OU who each will provide you 3-4 more marquee matchups per year.  Texas v LSU pulled 8.4M viewers which (I believe) would have been second most watched SEC game in last two seasons.  Feels like they got a taste of what could be and went out and made it happen.

• Hook 'Em 1