Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

33 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I've never blamed the Big 12 for our lack of success since we never win it anyway.  I do blame it for my relative lack of interest in the majority of conference games we're not playing.  And for making me watch that commercial where Kliff Kingsbury morphs into Charlie Weis.

You rang?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Well well, little KU. 

Good for them and not surprising. Their bball program will land them in a good spot.

I hope and believe most of the Big 12 schools will end up just fine in a superconference. Unfortunately the Texas schools might be the ones in the diciest position. Geographically they don't really fit but the PAC will likely stretch for at least 1-2 of them.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I've only been at AU's baseball field and it is wonderful. That will be a lot of fun for everyone.

2.5 hour drive for me. That would be one I would go to for sure, since one of my best friends is a huge Auburn fan and grad. I have purposely avoided Starkvegas for years, but would go for that series. UF vs UT would probably be a yearly thing for me as long as I have kids at UF too. Maybe LSU, but I hate Baton Rouge and Tigah fans.

Baseball will be awesome!

8 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Disney has orchestrated this entire process, starting with the LHN. They're the reason we didnt end up in the PAC and they're the reason we are headed to the SEC. Everything else is just fluff. 

You should check out the new aggy roller coaster at Disney World.  Very thrilling ride.

• Haha 1

Boy, you guys are dumb. I have figure out how the SEC pod system should be organized with us and okie joining the SEC.

You have 5 3-team pods that play on a tiered-rotational basis. The winner from those 15 teams plays Texas every year in the SEC championship. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You should check out the new aggy roller coaster at Disney World.  Very thrilling ride.

It's going to take months for me to process how amazing this is. When you think about everything that has been said about the SEC/Big 12, by both sides, the past 10 years, and then in less than two days it's all turned on it's head. And the fact that A&M wasn't involved in the conversations BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS THEY WOULD TRY AND FUCK IT UP. Man... just... chef's kiss.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, it's not a Texas school, but if programs like Kansas start making the preemptive move out of the conference, it's just another nail in the coffin for the Big 12 and our move to the SEC. 

Would expedite the conference demise and get us off the hook for any financial penalties

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

They're also the reason why the buyout and exit will be a lot easier. 

Yep. This thing is being driven well above the university and conference level. Thats why the room is spinning for aggy and they dont know whats going on. Like a caveman during an earthquake. 

• Haha 3

For those worried about the Texas lege all Texas and OU will have to do is help convince the PAC to take on the 4 schools and maybe even throw Tech/Baylor/TCU a bone by scheduling a home and home 10 years down the road. Once this happens they will be free to dissolve the conference and send Bowlsby and his crew a nice retirement package while all involved avoid hefty buyouts. 

12 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Look, Texas has no one to blame but themselves for the failures on the field over the last decade. But playing a scheduled where 90% of the teams are little brothers with a massive chip on their shoulder whose most important game is Texas every year gets old. It really sucks when they beat us (which has happened a lot), it still kinda sucks even when we win. It's just not that interesting. 

More often than not (post Charlie Strong) we seem to play our best against the bigger opponents/programs. If this move to the SEC happens, I think we're gonna do very well. 

To expound a bit: 

Life in the current Big 12 for Texas: You are the evil big boss. You are the highlighted and most important game for the majority of your opponents. If you lose, you will be mocked and laughed at. If you win, well, you're Texas, you should have fucking won. All the outside pressure is directly put on Texas. It's just a shitty situation for us.

Future life in the SEC: you are big game for every opponent, but the majority have big rivalries with other programs. The opponent's playbook is not specifically saved for playing UT. The playing field evens quite a bit. Fun road trips. Fun home games. Packed stadiums every week.  Getting to watch a team play up to its competition. Sounds like a good time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, ousux said:
18 minutes ago, MrBig said:
Tech is now locked in a dark shed? Mike Leach must be enjoying himself with all this realignment.

Jesus H Christ..thanks for reminding me we'll be reunited with the pirate soon.

I’ve never dressed up for a game, but I really feel like road tripping to Starkville as Craig James. I’m guessing there will be seven hookers hanging around the stadium port-a-potties that I can hire to finish out my costume. 

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Good for them and not surprising. Their bball program will land them in a good spot.

Plus they don't pose a football threat to Ohio State.  So the B1G gets to expand without potentially hurting their football big names AND they get to increase their hoops cred.  B1G basketball gets sucked off pretty hard in March as it is. 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

For those worried about the Texas lege all Texas and OU will have to do is help convince the PAC to take on the 4 schools and maybe even throw Tech/Baylor/TCU a bone by scheduling a home and home 10 years down the road. Once this happens they will be free to dissolve the conference and send Bowlsby and his crew a nice retirement package while all involved avoid hefty buyouts. 

I'm unequivocally opposed to the idea.

Fuck All That GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 4

For those thinking some of the Big 12 can go to the Pac 12, this is what I've been saying as to why that probably doesn't happen. Pac 12 writer I follow

The more likely scenario for the Pac 12 is a merger with the Big 10. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

I completely get the logic, which is why I wasn't really surprised.  But it still feels like we are joining the cartels.

Silver lining:  I like most of our B12 schools (and thus hate what this could potentially do to them), so in contrast will enjoy still always wanting to make every SEC school cry.

Edited by clapclapclap
But no, ISU Al, I won't check my Burnt Orange priviledge.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Is anyone else just waiting, praying, for aggy to publicly deliver an "it's us or them" ultimatum to the sec?

Please, please, please be this dumb, aggy. I know you can do it.

their AD already assumed the position in his "my dog/revielle died" response to the reporter at media days.  there will be no ulitimatum.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

OU has been complaining about the Big 12 for years and they just got into it with the Commissioner over their time slots for their games.

I don't understand why Mandel might not consider they might be driving the bus on this.

Yeah there was this odd silence after the Nebraska time slot deal.  Like the couple people at the very top were just winking and saying ‘they’re about really get it’.  I was like ‘fuck yeah, we are gonna drag everyone in this shitty ass league!’

Then I realized that’s what happens every year and quickly lost my boner.  

Anyways, in retrospect maybe they were alluding to leaving Bowlsby and his crew jobless.  Savages

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

37 out of 40 threads on the first page of TexAgs are about this. Good shit. I wish I had the time to read them.

I looked at the first thread about What the SEC is Getting with ebil ol' toxic tu.

First post was a quote where a source at Texas is quoted (by Ketchum) as saying "ultimately, we don't care" what happens to the schools left behind. The usual irony-deafness of the Aggies who took the small school money in the Big XII then bolted anyway saying they absolutely were/were not doing so because of tu is on succinct display.

Second post, rare ray of light: Why should Texas care?

Third post illustrating what you get with Texas:

spacer.png

Crown of the helmet to helmet contact that aggies feel was a bad call. The refs had no choice but to call it.

And they wonder why the SEC despises their masochistic asses. Aggy loved their new doms and begged to join them. Their new doms put them in a trunk and invited their old masters in.

spacer.png

Open the trunk and watch the masochists  when they see Texas reviewing the SEC Agreement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I liked the original Big 12. I'm not crazy about our best move likely being the SEC. Just like everybody else, it is fun watching the Ags squeal. 

A side note, I loved the post earlier about the Aggies going independent. Oh, please. You're the Notre Dame of the South! It's the only way to escape the omnipresent evil of tu! Everyone nationwide will be able to display exactly how much they really care about Texas A&M University!

Best hundred year decision ever!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

their AD already assumed the position in his "my dog/revielle died" response to the reporter at media days.  there will be no ulitimatum.

Yep. Where tf they gonna go? The Big Dumpster Fire conference they have laughed at for a decade?

The ACC won't want them - they bring nothing in basketball and that's what the ACC cares about most.  The Pac 12 would fucking laugh at these inbred rubes with their empty trophy room (except WBB and meat judging) trying to join the Conference of Champions. 

They could always join the AAC and wreck shop 🤣

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Especially with them paying Jimbo some $7,500,000 per year.

Motherfucker was on vacation while the pie was being baked.   Hey recruits, want to know how SEC aggy is?  They were excluded from their conference talks at the big boy table.  Yeah, the little table with the sippy cups is where they're recruiting you from. And that dwarf in the high chair eating his crayons?  That's your HC.  If you want to join the big boy table, just follow the laughter.  

awkward elmer fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I can't keep up with the thread, likely the 83rd person to post this:

Texas and Oklahoma, the founding members of the Big 12, are leaving the league - and barring any unforeseen developments, will join the Southeastern Conference, a high-level source close to the situation told Horns247.

Texas and OU officials plan to inform the Big 12 on Monday that they won’t renew when the league’s grant of rights expire in 2025, a step that clears the path for the SEC to formally consider adding Texas and OU.

Again, barring unforeseen circumstances, an SEC vote on adding Texas and Oklahoma "could move quickly," the source told Horns247.

“In this changing landscape of college athletics, this is what’s best (for Texas and Oklahoma),” the source said.

Horns247 reported previously that Texas and Oklahoma are prepared to wait until the current grant of rights agreement expires in 2025 before moving on from the Big 12.

To leave earlier, Texas and OU would be contractually bound to give up their four remaining years of Big 12 television revenue, which would total nearly $160 million each (based on 2019's $37.7 million payout per school) - although such situations in the past have been settled in court to allow both sides to move on.

Even the anticipation of Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC has set off a seismic reaction that will reshape college athletics for years to come. Whether it results in more schools jumping conferences or Power Five members finally breaking away from the NCAA in football to form their own governing body remains to be seen.

Texas and Oklahoma were the founding members of the Big 12 back in the mid-1990s, when the Big Eight (OU, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State) and four schools from the Southwest Conference (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor) came together under the leadership of then-Texas and OU athletic directors DeLoss Dodds and Donnie Duncan.

Following a call among Big 12 athletic directors and CEOs on Thursday night - a call that Texas and Oklahoma didn’t participate in - the league released a statement that sounded like a breakup letter.

“Oklahoma and Texas are founding members of the Big 12 and we value their traditions and history of success,” the league said in a statement. “The eight members strongly desire to retain the current composition, which has proven it can compete at the highest levels.

“There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements.

“This is a time of dramatic change within intercollegiate athletics that presents both opportunities and challenges, and the Big 12 Conference looks forward to continuing to play a major role in its evolution.”

One industry source said Texas and Oklahoma could go independent and do an exclusive broadcast agreement with a partner like Fox, and create schedules full of Big Ten and Pac-12 opponents, because Fox already has media rights agreements with the Big Ten and Pac-12.

“Fox could probably put up some big numbers to make that kind of a deal really worth Texas and Oklahoma’s while,” the source said.

A year ago, when discussions in the Big 12 started turning to re-negotiating the league’s media rights package ahead of its current 2025 expiration date, Texas officials wanted to see if they could do better - especially with a rapidly changing college athletics landscape.

With student-athletes able to earn money from their name, image and likeness for the first time and the College Football Playoff likely expanding to 12 teams, there’s a sense even more change could be coming to college athletics - whether it’s new streaming partners bidding on broadcast rights or the top 60 or 64 schools breaking away from the NCAA to form their own governing body.

Amidst all of that, Texas officials wanted to make sure they were in the best spot to maximize their brand/position in a changing landscape and felt like it was the SEC.

Texas officials began conversations with Oklahoma brass a year ago - and six months ago those conversations culminated with intermediaries reaching out to officials in the Southeastern Conference about the possibility of Texas and OU joining the SEC, sources told Horns247.

“There is mutual interest on both sides,” a high-ranking source close to the situation told Horns247 regarding the SEC.

If Texas becomes SEC-bound, UT officials would be willing to let go of the more than $150 million still remaining on their 20-year, $300 million contract with ESPN for the Longhorn Network, which currently runs through 2031, sources told Horns247.

“There’d be more money down the road,” one source close to the situation said.

Critics of Texas and OU leaving the Big 12 are now working feverishly to slow things down.

What's next for the Longhorns? Make sure you stay in the loop and sign up for Horns247 today! New members get 30% OFF your first year of Texas scoop OR one month of Horns247 VIP access for ONLY $1!

State Rep. Jeff Leach of Plano, a Baylor graduate, announced on social media Thursday he’ll be filing a bill “requiring legislative approval for UT to bolt the BIG XII.”

“The lack of transparency by our flagship institution is wrong,” Leach said on Twitter. “Such a monumental economic and educational decision impacting the entire state must not be made in a bubble on the forty acres.”

Texas Tech System chancellor Tedd L. Mitchell said on social media following Thursday night’s Big 12 call:

“Like many across our state and within the footprint of our league, I’ve been extremely disappointed by the actions and intentions of our friends in Austin and Norman. From day one of the Big 12 Conference’s existence, Texas Tech has been a proud and trustworthy partner.

“As the landscape of collegiate athletics shifts, I can promise Red Raider Nation that our leadership will diligently pursue all options to best position Texas Tech for long-term success.”