Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It still benefits CDC and the administration to schedule big name OOC opponents. Bama, LSU, and Georgia all do. Losing a decent OOC game and then doing well in the SEC conference slate will probably mean a playoff spot. So schedule games that bring a sold out DKR. My hope is we'll continue with the caliber of Ohio States and Michigans when we replace those SEC OOC dates.

We should replace bama with a pac team, preferably from California or Arizona. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

non conference line-up with Alabama, tOSU, and Mich? 

No way the SEC allows that

I know we joke about how the SEC encourages cupcake non conference scheduling.   But do they actually sign off on who plays who?   Don’t see the Michigan/Ohio State game being in jeopardy if not so.    

So if we get the four non conference game  like the current structure, I hope we do keep a marquee with a fellow Power 5 or whatever it will be in the future.  Then another one or two  with a  Mountain West, American, or Conf USA  and make one of them another Texas school if possible like UTSA, Rice, or UTEP. .    The other could go to a Sun Belt or Indy, but please no FCS schools.    We laugh at aggy playing the PVAMs and South Carolina States….   Don’t need to become them. 

But with two additional teams, the SEC might have to ditch the forth non conference depending on how they structure this thing.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Change Arizona to University of Washington and I'll be onboard. We already have Arizona State in 2032-2033. 

Edited by mdmost

I think (which means nothing  People on forums do not make league policy.), SEC will have to go to 9 games to work some kind of seeing non-divison teams more than once in a lifetime.  so 3 non-conference games is a safe working point for now.  It seems a little silly to have teams you never see if it would stay at 8.

RE: Recruiting for AandM specifically being hurt.  When Mizz and AandM came in, it specifically hurt Arkansas in recruiting.  We were the closest team for many kids in Texas that wanted to play in the SEC.  People on message boards griped a bit, but officially and for public consumption, Arkansas said "Come on in, guys.".  This move COULD bring recruiting back to where it was before.  Slight benefit for Razorback, slight hit for AandM.

Edited by iamjethro
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I agree…. Call USC.   They travel well. 
ACC might be an option too.   I’d love to see us play Florida State….And settle a few scores with Miami and Virginia Tech.  

If we make this move sooner rather than later , it might involve some horse trading with several schools such as us having to pay for another school to move their game with one of those PAC or ACC teams to a later date.  

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I agree…. Call USC.   They travel well. 
ACC might be an option too.   I’d love to see us play Florida State….And settle a few scores with Miami and Virginia Tech.  

If we make this move sooner rather than later , it might involve some horse trading with several schools such as us having to pay for another school to move their game with one of those PAC or ACC teams to a later date.  

We’re not going to be playing teams like  USC, FSU, or other top tier type p5s. Literally zero reason to now that we won’t have a dog shit big 12 season. SEC will likely dictate the big time OOC showdowns like they do with Bama, UGA, and etc 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We’re not going to be playing teams like  USC, FSU, or other top tier type p5s. Literally zero reason to now that we won’t have a dog shit big 12 season. SEC will likely dictate the big time OOC showdowns like they do with Bama, UGA, and etc 

So PVAM, Tarleton and ACU…. Come on down?  

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bama has played USC and Georgia has FSU on the future schedule. ESPN enjoys big name OOC games their conference can host. You bet your ass we'll still play good OOC teams. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, mdmost said:

Bama has played USC and Georgia has FSU on the future schedule. ESPN enjoys big name OOC games their conference can host. You bet your ass we'll still play good OOC teams. 

You don’t think the SEC decided those teams in advance? I literally mentioned those two specifically. We won’t get to pick our OOC opponent like that. It would be setup through SEC. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You don’t think the SEC decided those teams in advance? I literally mentioned those two specifically. We won’t get to pick our OOC opponent like that. It would be setup through SEC. 

I don't think the SEC would say, oh hey Georgia, go play two great OOC teams in one season like UGA has set up so no. Bama has FSU and Wisconsin in one year and WVU and Wisconsin the next. Then WVU and Ohio State the next year.  I highly doubt the SEC said go do that. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Love the Bama Chick dropping in to tell our fans how it is. 

Horseshit. I was at the 09 Rose Bowl and in Vegas. A more entitled arrogant fan base there is not. 

The LSU fans at DKR were 50% cool 50% swamp trash. 

We have no monopoly on shitty fans 

well, to be fair, most of our shitty fans reside in our agricultural branch on the brazos

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't think the SEC would say, oh hey Georgia, go play two great OOC teams in one season like UGA has set up so no. Bama has WVU and Wisconsin in one year and Florida State and Wisconsin the next.  I highly doubt the SEC said go do that. 

Exactly. 

Texas will continue to play marquee OOC games, because that's what we do.  It's good for UT, it's good for our fans, it's good for our players and their own national branding, it's good for UT's national brand which is the wealthiest and most important in all of college athletics, it's good for our wealthy donors who want to see huge intersectional matchups from their stadium suites,  it's good for our television partners, and it's good for college football.

With an expanded 12-team playoff, there is less risk now than ever before, in scheduling early marquee OOC games, even if you lose.  There's no reason not to do it, and plenty of great reasons to do it.

The SEC schools that currently schedule marquee OOC games, will continue to do so.  Those that don't, likely will keep on scheduling as they did before.  But they COULD go bigger, if they wanted to. No reason not to, anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, iamjethro said:

I think (which means nothing  People on forums do not make league policy.), SEC will have to go to 9 games to work some kind of seeing non-divison teams more than once in a lifetime.  so 3 non-conference games is a safe working point for now.  It seems a little silly to have teams you never see if it would stay at 8.

RE: Recruiting for AandM specifically being hurt.  When Mizz and AandM came in, it specifically hurt Arkansas in recruiting.  We were the closest team for many kids in Texas that wanted to play in the SEC.  People on message boards griped a bit, but officially and for public consumption, Arkansas said "Come on in, guys.".  This move COULD bring recruiting back to where it was before.  Slight benefit for Razorback, slight hit for AandM.

Agreed on Arky recruiting.  If we end up with divisions or a pod with OU, Texas, Arky and Aggy, it helps Arky the most with increased Texas exposure.  More importantly, though, it cuts out the other regional players in Tech, Baylor, Okie State, etc.  

Here's some future OOC games for notable SEC teams:

Alabama-Wisconsin (24-25), FSU (25-26), WVU (26-27), Ohio State (27-28), Ok State (28-29), Notre Dame (29-30), Va Tech (34-35)

Auburn- Cal (23-24), Baylor (25-26), UCLA (27-28), Miami (29-30). Not all middle tier teams except Miami.

Florida- already has FSU every year. Utah (22-23), Miami (24-25), Colorado (28-29), Notre Dame (31-32), 

Georgia- perhaps the most bold. Georgia Tech every year. Clemson (21, 24, 29-30, 32-33), Oregon (22), UCLA (25-26), Lousiville (26-27), FSU (27-28), Ohio State (30-31)

LSU- UCLA (21), FSU (22-23), UCLA (24), Clemson (25-26), Arizona State (29-30), Utah (31-32)

Those are just what I'd consider our contemporaries. 

Now aggy- Colorado (21), Miami (22-23), Notre Dame (24-25), Arizona St (26-27), Louisville (28-29).

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Evidently this is a move by the SEC powers that be meant to cripple the great Jimbo and prevent aggy football from becoming the fully operational Death Star they were clearly on track to becoming. Pooooooooor aggy

51554CD8-CCE4-4795-9BE6-4BC67F259AC1.jpeg

Yeah, the SEC wants to add two of the biggest brands in college football because they're scared of aggy becoming a powerhouse.  Saban and Mushmouth have been on the phone for 9 years trying to figure out a way to keep Jimbo from exposing their overrated programs.  Sure, Jan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, the SEC wants to add two of the biggest brands in college football because they're scared of aggy becoming a powerhouse.  Saban and Mushmouth have been on the phone for 9 years trying to figure out a way to keep Jimbo from exposing their overrated programs.  Sure, Jan.

I just don’t understand how adding the most valuable athletic program and another top 5 program with a combined value near 2 billion dollars is going to bring anything to the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You are smoking crack if you think the SEC league office is dictating OOC schedules on the individual teams.

• Hook 'Em 6

Georgia has had the easiest conference set-up in the country ever since aggy joined. All they have/had to do was avoid sleepwalking through any of their scheduled games, beat Florida and they coasted into the conference championship game, where they had a fighter's chance of catching bama flat-footed. The pod system will change all that and actually provide a challenge. Yet we've heard nobody from their side whining about a gentleman's agreement, let alone crying about firing Sankey, threatening to sue the conference, trying to rally No votes. Not a peep. Unlike aggy they understand where their bread is buttered. Also unlike aggy it didn't take someone from the conference reading the riot act to their leadership to get them to finally stfu.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I just don’t understand how adding the most valuable athletic program and another top 5 program with a combined value near 2 billion dollars is going to bring anything to the SEC. 

SEC HQ: "Look, we're going to take on the financial burden and subsidize these small programs, we HAVE TO! Jimbo god damn Fisher has arrived and he is going to destroy everything we've ever loved! DO YOU HEAR ME!? JIMBO FISHER!!!!!!!!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Fucking Gideon, you mean. Never forget. 

That loss was 100% on Mack for not running the clock down on our last posession.

Evidently this is a move by the SEC powers that be meant to cripple the great Jimbo and prevent aggy football from becoming the fully operational Death Star they were clearly on track to becoming. Pooooooooor aggy

aggy capacity to delude themselves into believing fan fiction knows no bounds.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

image.thumb.png.35bee3e68304f02a0a45de53f9bf605b.png

this is why The 60 Magic Hours of the best internet in the history of the internet is so critical to public discourse going forward

the rest of college football has seen aggy spread their cheeks and contract and release their anus and it's no longer hearsay

they can't undo what just happened and it can not be unseen

• Hook 'Em 2

tin foil film GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is why The 60 Magic Hours of the best internet in the history of the internet is so critical to public discourse going forward

Oh yeah I'm living the next 3-4 years of my life on the stockpiles I have in the freezer

just one fat cube of Aggie tears in a tumbler with a finger or two will treat me just right

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Georgia has had the easiest conference set-up in the country ever since aggy joined. All they have/had to do was avoid sleepwalking through any of their scheduled games, beat Florida and they coasted into the conference championship game, where they had a fighter's chance of catching bama flat-footed. The pod system will change all that and actually provide a challenge. Yet we've heard nobody from their side whining about a gentleman's agreement, let alone crying about firing Sankey, threatening to sue the conference, trying to rally No votes. Not a peep. Unlike aggy they understand where their bread is buttered. Also unlike aggy it didn't take someone from the conference reading the riot act to their leadership to get them to finally stfu.

The East is largely mediocre, especially from UGA's perspective.  Florida is hit or miss and the rest of that side is trash.  They play Barn every year and occasionally draw Bama or LSU.  Really not that hard of a schedule.

57 minutes ago, iamjethro said:

slight hit for aggy? lol   The only way this could hurt aggy more in recruiting is if they quit playing football and they know it.

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lamar and Houston Baptist are about to get paid. Aggy, Texas, and OU will all probably schedule them. 

Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word want that action.

2 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

The realization that is dawning on many seems to be that when aggy joined the SEC, the overwhelming noise being spewed forth was that the move "made" aggy. Now, aggy was going to be able to compete! It completed them.

and the corollary is The Magic 60 Hours from wednesday 6pm to yesterday noon has "unmade" aggy, they literally disrobed themselves in public, and no one in college football and in particular the sec east of the mississippi will ever look at them the same ever again

aggy the plural noun with all of it's connotations finally reached critical mass in the wider world, the msm can no longer attempt to hide it, the conference will give instructions to broadcast teams to cease the recitation of aggy fictitious talking points about history, turdition, donkeykong tackleboxes, costumed military, you name it

the fantasy world version of reality they live in, that they created for themselves, is now permanently filtered out by the rest of college football

• Hook 'Em 1