Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

When we drop Georgia and Florida from the OOC schedule, we need to add Florida State in 2029-2030. How we've never played them is just astounding to me.  

And if we're conference mates in 2022, don't expect the Bama game to be replaced with a decent opponent unless the SEC can work out a deal with someone for us. Maybe ESPN can have a hand but I bet we'd replace with an in-state school for 2022 which was the Bama game in Austin and a one off for the 2023 away game that's now gone. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

I think the phone conversation with the SEC went something like 

Yes sir

No.... you're right, sir...

Of course..

Yes sir, but...

Yes sir, is there....

Thank you, sir, if I may...

Hello? Hello?

<stares at phone> "they hung up..."

the phone call was from sankey to sharpe, and there is no way sharpe didn't whinge and wail like a stuck pig because that's who he is an that's what he does

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Shit. Vandy is going to be our new TCU aren't they.

Nashville > Ft. Worth. I just got back from a conference and Broadway is a complete cluster but the lest touristy parts of town are a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to going back end of Sept. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Heh, I just view it as an opportunity to finally even up the historical series record.  We're coming for you, Vandy!

All-time Texas v. Vandy:

1899 loss 0-6

1900 win 22-0

1903 tie 5-5

1905 loss 0-33

1906 loss 0-45

1921 loss 0-20

1922 loss 10-20

1923 win 16-0

1925 loss 6-14

1926 loss 0-7

1927 win 13-6

1928 loss 12-13

The Horns have some work to do!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s a fucking beating to catchup to this freight train of a thread. Some of the idiotic tropes here need to be retired. 

1) Texas is fine taking a breather from having to carry a conference. They’re fine with having plenty of other folks carry weight. There’s no interest in power plays. This was the fucking power play. 

2) The fucking handwringing about the league dictating non-con scheduling is tedious. Part of the UT brand is playing difficult non-conference games. 

Word is 2 8 team divisions, 9 conference games every year. Allegedly going to avoid FCS scheduling and others want to stop doing so, such as Bama and Georgia. 

If there is a permanent cross-division team that each team is paired with one of the two cross-division games each year, you have to think Texas and Bama are paired up. 

One of the frenzied and panicked “demands” in the last few days from ATM was to not be in the same division as Texas, which has also been shut down. 

Feed em fish heads and fuckem 

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

What they fail to realize (or don’t want to realize) is that they are irrelevant as an athletic department. During our worst decade in football in program history, we won the same amount of NY6 bowl games as aggy and played for a conference championship in football. The players they are recruiting weren’t even born the last time they played for a conference championship. Their best football season in the SEC was with Big 12 players. They had a 10 year start to build their “SEC” brand and grow out of our shadow and they failed to do that. Now we’re back and they are fucked. They will always be in our shadow. They think they can come close to our level but the truth is they are much, much closer to Texas Tech than they are us. 

tech and baylor individually have accomplished more in the last 10 years than aggy has since ww2

the only thing they have is a giant mass of indoctrinated former students

that's it

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Our tune up games should be teams like Rice, UTEP and UTSA.  Then a mid major.  Then another P5.

I wouldn't schedule a single game inside Texas. We have enough between the home games and aggy. I'd schedule every one of them west of Texas. California, Arizona, Washington, Colorado and Utah.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, the SEC wants to add two of the biggest brands in college football because they're scared of aggy becoming a powerhouse.  Saban and Mushmouth have been on the phone for 9 years trying to figure out a way to keep Jimbo from exposing their overrated programs.  Sure, Jan.

it's a trap

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Georgia has had the easiest conference set-up in the country ever since aggy joined. All they have/had to do was avoid sleepwalking through any of their scheduled games, beat Florida and they coasted into the conference championship game, where they had a fighter's chance of catching bama flat-footed. The pod system will change all that and actually provide a challenge. Yet we've heard nobody from their side whining about a gentleman's agreement, let alone crying about firing Sankey, threatening to sue the conference, trying to rally No votes. Not a peep. Unlike aggy they understand where their bread is buttered. Also unlike aggy it didn't take someone from the conference reading the riot act to their leadership to get them to finally stfu.

i think we're going to find that georgia is the closest thing to our culture and alumni profile, and florida are the most similar to us academically

everyone with connections to those alumni should reach out and form bridges where possible in their respective professions and careers

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

SEC HQ: "Look, we're going to take on the financial burden and subsidize these small programs, we HAVE TO! Jimbo god damn Fisher has arrived and he is going to destroy everything we've ever loved! DO YOU HEAR ME!? JIMBO FISHER!!!!!!!!"

if we ever create SurlyVision as a pirate channel we have years of dialog already scripted for aggy skits

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s a fucking beating to catchup to this freight train of a thread. Some of the idiotic tropes here need to be retired. 

1) Texas is fine taking a breather from having to carry a conference. They’re fine with having plenty of other folks carry weight. There’s no interest in power plays. This was the fucking power play. 

2) The fucking handwringing about the league dictating non-con scheduling is tedious. Part of the UT brand is playing difficult non-conference games. 

Word is 2 8 team divisions, 9 conference games every year. Allegedly going to avoid FCS scheduling and others want to stop doing so, such as Bama and Georgia. 

If there is a permanent cross-division team that each team is paired with one of the two cross-division games each year, you have to think Texas and Bama are paired up. 

One of the frenzied and panicked “demands” in the last few days from ATM was to not be in the same division as Texas, which has also been shut down. 

Our cross rival should be Vandy. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

...77745a81f256f4650901fdb2b9cf7b66.jpg

Those West and South pods would be murder. I think LSU switches for Arky, more historical rivalry. Also, if they think the PAC picks up Baylor and TCU they are delusional. Those two schools are proper fucked.i would take U of H and Tulsa over those two.

Edited by Vertigo

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On point #1, I read an article from the OU perspective and they said the same thing.  They were tired (along with Texas) of doing all of the negotiating, reaching out to other schools, and having to carry the brand.  They're more than fine with shared power.  Keep in mind, the leadership at each school is completely different than a decade ago.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is why The 60 Magic Hours of the best internet in the history of the internet is so critical to public discourse going forward

the rest of college football has seen aggy spread their cheeks and contract and release their anus and it's no longer hearsay

they can't undo what just happened and it can not be unseen

This. I caught some national radio show while in the car yesterday and they were calling out aggy. “You just exposed yourself as the little brother you claim you’re not.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Why Albert Einstein Said: The Measure of Intelligence Is the Ability To Change

People who are not open to change are certain to miss the future.

In a rapidly changing world, the ability to change your mind or adapt is an indispensable skill. If you don’t give yourself permission to change your mind, you cannot change anything in your life.

Stephen Hawking famously said, ‘Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.’

Life is a series of changes, with or without your consent — you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/why-albert-einstein-said-the-measure-of-intelligence-is-the-ability-to-change/

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I imagine the Walmart in College Station is the second most depressing place on earth, the first being the Galveston Walmart.

I got my first covid vax at a CVS in College Station.  I've seen post-hurricane Puerto Rico shanty towns that were less depressing.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I wouldn't schedule a single game inside Texas. We have enough between the home games and aggy. I'd schedule every one of them west of Texas. California, Arizona, Washington, Colorado and Utah.

Uh yea but for that whole home games make a lot of money bit...

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

On point #1, I read an article from the OU perspective and they said the same thing.  They were tired (along with Texas) of doing all of the negotiating, reaching out to other schools, and having to carry the brand.  They're more than fine with shared power.  Keep in mind, the leadership at each school is completely different than a decade ago.

I can very much see that. This isn't Deloss and Castiglione any longer. Yes, we have egos but we're now willing to just go to the best conference with strong leadership and not have to be the main alphas. The advantages of the SEC are too numerous to worry about how much power we may have. 

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They have a decent amount of eyeballs. They have a really good overall AD. They care. They’d be a really good add to the AAC. Their poor academics make them a non starter to the BIG or the PAC I believe. 

Well, Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State all happen to be members of the Pac - and none of them are AAU members.  I'm not sure Oklahoma State's academics are significantly worse than Washington State's, in particular.  If the Pac really wants Oklahoma State, I doubt their academics are going to be a deal-breaker.

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Uh yea but for that whole home games make a lot of money bit...

I think we'll schedule things a lot like we do now in the Big 12. When we have more away games in conference play, OOC is a home game. When we have more home games in conference play, OOC is the away game for that series. The SEC publishes multiple years of conference schedules. I think it's through 2026 right now which will have to change. 

Edited by mdmost

14 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Says the guys who hope to ride Oklahoma's coattails into the SEC.  Do you think if it were an Oklahoma / Oklahoma State offer it would be a deal breaker to the SEC?...

...me neither.

There's too many negs, for too many people

Making too many problems

And not much love to go round

Can't you see this ain't a land of Cornfusion?

Edited by clapclapclap
Ooh Superfans, where are you now....
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

if

8-8 split

current crossovers that become division games:

bama-tenn

barn-georgia

leaving only:

florida-lsu

any word on the grapevine if they would be willing to scrap that as an annual game?

2 games against the other division = maximum of 8 years to play the other division if back-to-back home-home series, 4 years if staggered, what's smoke signals on that?

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At this point the FCS needs to move permanently to the Spring. They had a good season there this year and would help bridge the gap in lost revenue if they were the only football on TV. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Why Albert Einstein Said: The Measure of Intelligence Is the Ability To Change

People who are not open to change are certain to miss the future.

In a rapidly changing world, the ability to change your mind or adapt is an indispensable skill. If you don’t give yourself permission to change your mind, you cannot change anything in your life.

Stephen Hawking famously said, ‘Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.’

Life is a series of changes, with or without your consent — you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/why-albert-einstein-said-the-measure-of-intelligence-is-the-ability-to-change/

The irony of this being posted by Dumb Rain Man is almost too much to handle. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Evidently this is a move by the SEC powers that be meant to cripple the great Jimbo and prevent aggy football from becoming the fully operational Death Star they were clearly on track to becoming. Pooooooooor aggy

51554CD8-CCE4-4795-9BE6-4BC67F259AC1.jpeg

So the “public guise of its good for the SEC in general” in reality is sinister plot of “the conference makes more money”.   Oh aggie….

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yes, yeeeeesss… Turn on them, accuse them of insane shit. Please aggy, take out your vengeance on all of our fellow conference partner schools. 

8A38C75D-156F-4562-942F-31235F365CA6.gif

B13D533F-D7C1-4EDB-B9FA-E79EA6C64966.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Evidently this is a move by the SEC powers that be meant to cripple the great Jimbo and prevent aggy football from becoming the fully operational Death Star they were clearly on track to becoming. Pooooooooor aggy

51554CD8-CCE4-4795-9BE6-4BC67F259AC1.jpeg

This will be their new military school and scholarship limit excuse for not ever winning anything important. Just as they were on the rise the mean ole SEC and UT conspired to take down Jimbo. The next 30 years will be really fun in the state of Texas

• Like 1

I have a sneaking suspicion that the B12 is t going to die, and so this will go the legal/negotiated buy route.

We all talk about schools poaching the Tagalong 8, but which ones move the needle enough to make the move worthwhile?

Can you justify expansion to USC and UCLA by saying TT and OSU will bring in more $$?

Does bringing in KU, ISU or OSU fly with Minnesota or Michigan, knowing that those inclusions won’t increase the payout and will finally kill the dream of landing ND?

How do you sell WVU to the rest of the ACC, knowing they are only “valuable” for a group of 3 geographic rivals.

You guys keep talking about academics like that is a primary issue at this point for some of these conferences/schools.  It MAY have been in the past but the issue now is when you add schools you split the money pie more so the issue becomes by adding these schools are you going to be able to negotiate a bigger pie.  Academics can fuck right off in that discussion.

If the networks hesitate these schools could be fucking Harvard and they would be told to go play intramurals brotha.  

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This would be a bit disappointing. I like the pods idea so everyone can play non-division teams more often. Would also hope for LSU-Bama to be permanent bc that game is always nails. Or Aggy-Bama to continue the regular beating.

• Hook 'Em 1