Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:
So is it your contention that UT softball is historically an NCAA power, like say volleyball or women's swimming & diving or track & field?  (Purposefully ignoring women's basketball.)

Nope... Just odd to say they underperform every year a month and a half after they made super regionals.

Oof.  25 seasons, never made the CWS finals, much less win it all, at least if my recollection is correct.  I hope Mike White is the answer.  Connie Clark wasn't.

I think most UT fans expect women's sports to dominate, and most do.  Softball has always lagged that standard a bit.  Fair?  Probably not.  It's the expectation.

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was a freshman, I had gone home to Dallas that weekend for some reason don't remember since I had been home the week earlier for OU.  Cowboys were playing the Eagles early that Sunday (remember that Rice game was on a Sunday) and Texas-Rice was later.  We were coming off the Stonie Clark game where JB had his coming out so I thought "well I will stick around and watch this Cowboys game as that's a tough premier match up and then I will drive back to Austin and listen to the Texas game because yea it's fucking Rice."  What a miserable fucking trip.  Got back to Jester (after the walk from the C lot that used to be where the soccer stadium is now) in time to see us finish off that shit show.  

Cowboys whipped the Eagles ass. But that was back before Jerry had completed his demolition job.

CSB...I was at that Cowboys game. IIRC, it absolutely poured that night.  IT was me and my friend from San Marcos and another Aggy friend.  We left Texas Stadium and I had to drive my Aggy friend back to campus before heading back to San Marcos.  It was a torrential rainstorm all the way back.  It sucked listening to that on the radio.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oof.  25 seasons, never made the CWS finals, much less win it all, at least if my recollection is correct.  I hope Mike White is the answer.  Connie Clark wasn't.

I think most UT fans expect women's sports to dominate, and most do.  Softball has always lagged that standard a bit.  Fair?  Probably not.  It's the expectation.

Clark was kept around 10-15 years longer than she deserved.  The fact that we never won a championship with Williams, Osterman or Luna pitching is absolutely criminal.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Wonder if bowlsby changed our minds?

If we stay in this conference or anything less than going to either the SEC, Big10, or ACC, I’m going to find it hard to ever care about UT sports again. What a potential let down…

Sources: Despite Big 12 meeting Sunday, Texas and OU still to notify league Monday they won't renew GOR

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Sources: Despite Big 12 meeting Sunday, Texas and OU still to notify league Monday they won't renew GOR

Chip Brown

Despite a Big 12 executive committee meeting on Sunday that included Texas president Jay Hartzell and Oklahoma president Joe Harroz, Texas and OU are still expected to notify the Big 12 on Monday that the league's two founding members won't be renewing their grant of rights in the Big 12 when those rights expire at the end of the 2024-25 school year, a high-ranking source close to the situation told Horns247.

That notification is the first step in Texas and Oklahoma then being considered for admission to the Southeastern Conference, a process "that could move quickly," the source said.

The Big 12's executive committee met with Hartzell and Harroz on Sunday via videoconference to see what possible changes could be made to improve the league while Texas and OU are still in it, sources told Horns247.

One source close to the situation said Sunday's meeting was more of a "listening session" for Hartzell and Harroz as members of the executive committee talked about several things, including the possibility of an increased share of revenue for Texas and Oklahoma.

"Nothing was officially proposed - it was just conversation," the source said.

The members of the Big 12's executive committee in Sunday's meeting consisted of Texas Tech president Lawrence Shovanec, who is the Big 12 board of directors chairman, as well as Baylor president Linda Livingstone and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

Bowlsby released a statement that said:

“The meeting was cordial, and the executive committee expressed a willingness to discuss proposals that would strengthen the conference and be mutually beneficial to OU and UT, as well as the other member institutions of the conference. I expect that we will continue our conversations in the days ahead, and we look forward to discussing thoughts, ideas and concepts that may be of shared interest and impact.”

Bowlsby's statement marked his first public comments since news broke last week in the Houston Chronicle that Texas and Oklahoma have been exploring a move to the SEC.

Bowlsby was quoted at Big 12 Media Days earlier this month as saying, "A lot of the motivation for realignment is no longer there. Is that to say it couldn’t happen? No, it could possibly happen for other reasons. But it doesn't appear to me that the motivation is there at this point in time. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it's not one of the things that keep me up at night.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did they? I mean they do now but the previous regime seemed content with being just meh in women's sports. When Gail Goestenkors desperately wanted to leave because she knew it wasn't working out and UT tried to convince her to stay I knew they weren't taking excellence in women's sports seriously. The only sport we seemed to be great at was Volleyball and that almost seemed like an accident. 

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Chip Brown

Reveal hidden contents

Chip Brown

Despite a Big 12 executive committee meeting on Sunday that included Texas president Jay Hartzell and Oklahoma president Joe Harroz, Texas and OU are still expected to notify the Big 12 on Monday that the league's two founding members won't be renewing their grant of rights in the Big 12 when those rights expire at the end of the 2024-25 school year, a high-ranking source close to the situation told Horns247.

That notification is the first step in Texas and Oklahoma then being considered for admission to the Southeastern Conference, a process "that could move quickly," the source said.

The Big 12's executive committee met with Hartzell and Harroz on Sunday via videoconference to see what possible changes could be made to improve the league while Texas and OU are still in it, sources told Horns247.

One source close to the situation said Sunday's meeting was more of a "listening session" for Hartzell and Harroz as members of the executive committee talked about several things, including the possibility of an increased share of revenue for Texas and Oklahoma.

"Nothing was officially proposed - it was just conversation," the source said.

The members of the Big 12's executive committee in Sunday's meeting consisted of Texas Tech president Lawrence Shovanec, who is the Big 12 board of directors chairman, as well as Baylor president Linda Livingstone and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

Bowlsby released a statement that said:

“The meeting was cordial, and the executive committee expressed a willingness to discuss proposals that would strengthen the conference and be mutually beneficial to OU and UT, as well as the other member institutions of the conference. I expect that we will continue our conversations in the days ahead, and we look forward to discussing thoughts, ideas and concepts that may be of shared interest and impact.”

Bowlsby's statement marked his first public comments since news broke last week in the Houston Chronicle that Texas and Oklahoma have been exploring a move to the SEC.

Bowlsby was quoted at Big 12 Media Days earlier this month as saying, "A lot of the motivation for realignment is no longer there. Is that to say it couldn’t happen? No, it could possibly happen for other reasons. But it doesn't appear to me that the motivation is there at this point in time. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it's not one of the things that keep me up at night.”

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

"So what happens to the LHN dumpster fire" 

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread... but the aggies just cannot fucking decide if the LHN is a death-star-level advantage for UT that gives us an unfair monetary and recruiting edge (they consistently named the LHN as a primary reason for leaving the Big 12), or if the LHN is a national embarrassment, a financial disaster, and a punchline within the world of sports media ("dumpster fire" in that thread title).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Did they? I mean they do now but the previous regime seemed content with being just meh in women's sports. 

There's no doubt some truth in that.  I was in grad school when the women won the NCAA in basketball and soon started winning swimming (a bunch), along with some close calls.  They've had  titles and close calls in track over that time.  I don't think soccer has sniffed a title yet, but I could be wrong -- that's relatively new for us.

EDIT:  oh yeah, multiple tennis titles

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Looks like  the aggy BOR scheduled a second meeting for Wednesday.   Agenda basically the same as Monday’s.  

https://www.tamus.edu/regents/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2021/07/AGENDA-July-28-2021-Special-BOR-Meeting.pdf

Well in fairness they have a lot of dirt, mud, rocks, pebbles, shit and piss to clean out of their clothes, hair, shoes, socks, underwear etc etc etc.  That takes time.

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well in fairness they have a lot of dirt, mud, rocks, pebbles, shit and piss to clean out of their clothes, hair, shoes, socks, underwear etc etc etc.  That takes time.

Yep.  Either that someone is going to get fired or offered early retirement.  The agenda posting does allow for those type of discussions too.  

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm not in the habit of making long posts, or stealing peoples work, so instead I'll summarize. A poster on Reddit, found here has mathed out that the B12 flat out cant afford to pay Texas/OU more to keep us here.

To summarize, it's an increase of 11m a year in revenue share flat from the B12 to the SEC, and then on top of that, if the B12 tried to match, at minimum it would leave Tech, OkSt and and ISU operating in the red. Kind of eye opening stuff. It's one thing to say we were carrying the conference, but its another to see the numbers. I encourage you guys to check that thread the next time you sit down for a long shit.

You underestimate how long I spend on the shitter. I was done with that guys post well before it was time to hit the bidet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

The second one matches her top.   But yea after years of cursing it, now it will grace our unis, fields, and courts.  Dammit I feel like needing to take a shower and scrub myself with a wire brush. 

Don’t worry. You’ll feel a lot better when Stewart, Perkins, Harris, Dewberry and Arch all commit the day it’s announced official

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread... but the aggies just cannot fucking decide if the LHN is a death-star-level advantage for UT that gives us an unfair monetary and recruiting edge (they consistently named the LHN as a primary reason for leaving the Big 12), or if the LHN is a national embarrassment, a financial disaster, and a punchline within the world of sports media ("dumpster fire" in that thread title).

Exaaaactly.  It's a dumpster fire and an albatross around our necks and we were greedy and stupid for ever wanting it and it's just sooooo unfair!

24 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Looks like  the aggy BOR scheduled a second meeting for Wednesday.   Agenda basically the same as Monday’s.  

https://www.tamus.edu/regents/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2021/07/AGENDA-July-28-2021-Special-BOR-Meeting.pdf

Probably because they aggy'd up their initial meeting announcement/agenda by putting the wrong date on it. Agendas need to be posted 72 hours in advance, so this could just be the same meeting they intended to hold tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if there's an announcement that the meeting tomorrow has been "postponed".

5 minutes ago, Baconboy said:

Probably because they aggy'd up their initial meeting announcement/agenda by putting the wrong date on it. Agendas need to be posted 72 hours in advance, so this could just be the same meeting they intended to hold tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if there's an announcement that the meeting tomorrow has been "postponed".

Makes sense.   Idiots. 

41 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I realize this is probably commish-speak, but geez, it sounds like aggy aren't the only ones who can't read the room.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I wondered if it is because the date of the last meeting was July 21, which I believe had already passed and they had to reschedule because it was an improper notice.

• Like 1

Both the old Big 12 and new Big 12 leadership seemed incredibly out of touch with how precarious our position was. Not just with their words but with their actions. There always seemed like little or not leadership from the Commissioners.

Actually I guess there is one exception, whomever that Commissioner was who tried to get the schools to agree to a Big 12 Network, that was pretty smart. Just didn't work out for him.

Actually I could say the exact same thing about the old SWC Commissioners.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Both the old Big 12 and new Big 12 leadership seemed incredibly out of touch with how precarious our position was. Not just with their words but with their actions. There always seemed like little or not leadership from the Commissioners.

Actually I guess there is one exception, whomever that Commissioner was who tried to get the schools to agree to a Big 12 Network, that was pretty smart. Just didn't work out for him.

Actually I could say the exact same thing about the old SWC Commissioners.

They took us for granted