Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

And Baylor just won basketball.  That doesn't have much to do with ability to draw money.

I didn't include Baylor when discussing who we "subsidize" because at least they have 3 basketball titles in the past 10 years (2 WBB, 1 MBB).  

In the totality of the program,  the 3 you mentioned are all better than Tech.  Baylor is better than Tech.  Tech is only beaten by KSU in terms of being a Big 12 nonfactor. 

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

Counterpoint, I'd rather subsidize Tech, OSU, and ISU than Miss St, S Carolina, and Vanderbilt.

That’s not a counterpoint at all. The SEC is well balanced with plenty of large earners. The conference actually brings value to Texas. It’s not just UT and OU carrying everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

And Baylor just won basketball.  That doesn't have much to do with ability to draw money.

Counter to your counter. Mississippi State built and packed this SOB out on their way to their title. It is nearly as big as Baylor's toilet seat football stadium.

Mississippi State Wows With Plans for Baseball Stadium - Athletic Business

We are now affiliating with the big boys.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

lulz so crooked politicians are why we have to be in a conference with Lubbock and rapist baptists? 

Now the politicians are still crooked but also totally inept so they cant do shit

AHAHHAHAHAHHA

We have more information at our  finger tips....  

Back then if we had the dynamic we have now, I'm not so sure the threat of withholding state funds would have swayed as many people as it did back then.   Ultimately it might have carried the day.  But I'm certain a lot of back and forth would have occurred regarding exactly where it's stated in statue a single member of the executive or legislative branch can unilaterally withhold state funds due to a collective temper  tantrum for being excluded or they felt like they've been cheated for some reason.  Even political Goliaths like Bullock would have felt the incoming from the other side.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

I’d rather we subsidize no one.

We already subsidize 7 universities and 8 health institutions with our “large endowment” (understatement of the year).  If Tech/Houston wants in on that money, put forth a bill to merge their systems with UT.  But they won’t because reasons…

Seriously adding schools in the panhandle with a medical center in El Paso plus finally getting a real University in Houston would be great for this state.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s not a counterpoint at all. The SEC is well balanced with plenty of large earners. The conference actually brings value to Texas. It’s not just UT and OU carrying everyone else. 

The ratio of earners to freeloaders is better for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, orangebird said:

I think you're misunderstanding the dynamic here.  The SEC is not "run" by one school in particular.  It seems to me to be much more of a collaborative effort.  I much prefer a situation like the SEC where Texas gets to be an adult, work alongside its peers, and make decisions as to what is best with other adults in the room - rather than Texas having to be one of a pair of adults and babysit a bunch of children.  That would be the situation we are presently leaving, by the way.

Eh....its run by Bama.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill never forgive the conference for that 2015 OSU game

Worst officiated sporting event ive ever seen in person

We should just provide that tape when the media asks why we are leaving the conference.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill never forgive the conference for that 2015 OSU game

Worst officiated sporting event ive ever seen in person

Yup

Have only been to OOC games at Texas ever sense. If I wanted to pay money to see rigged garbage I'd go to a WWE fight or something.

The Rig 12 officials are always shit to us and that was just the exclamation point. 

Of course Scipio Tex wrote the best piece about it

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/9/26/9402795/phantom-calls-from-corrupt-officiating-crew-buries-texas-longhorns?utm_campaign=barkingcarnival&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Then after, Big 12 supervisor: 'Generally pleased' with Oklahoma State-Texas officiating

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13767910/big-12-supervisor-generally-pleased-oklahoma-state-cowboys-texas-longhorns-officiating

Edited by Zeus
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

I would assume MSU, but I know it wasn't Texas

The University of Florida's brand new baseball stadium (which I know they paid for):

Gators Getting a New Ballpark - Florida Gators

Pretty sure the South Alabama Jaguars own that one

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does paying the buyout if we leave early count as honoring the existing grant of rights agreements?

in Legalese, I don't think so. I'm not familiar with contractual language regardless but I think that would be what we call "opting out with penalty."

Just now, UTEX_ME said:

AAS is full of shit. Water is wet. 

This sounds like the Shaka Smart strategy -- honor the contract until the members of the contract leave of their own accord so that no penalties need to be paid. No way the B12 survives until 2024, so why not "play nice" until the thing implodes and you can walk away without financial consequence?

• Hook 'Em 1