Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I don’t think TCU will be making it to the PAC

An outside shout at Kansas/ Oklahoma State/ Texas Tech/ Rice (or Houston) for a 4 team pod..?
But then those schools now have to worry of pro-B1G tweeters saying "B1G will raid USC" too...

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

He's on the radio right now saying this. "Texas is fully prepared to play in the Big 12 until 2025."

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

We're not sticking around for 4 seasons, that's regarded. 

Maybe we stick around for 2 or 3 seasons at most, then pull the plug on the Big 12. All I know is we better win the conference the last year we're in it just like we did with the SWC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Yup

Have only been to OOC games at Texas ever sense. If I wanted to pay money to see rigged garbage I'd go to a WWE fight or something.

The Rig 12 officials are always shit to us and that was just the exclamation point. 

Of course Scipio Tex wrote the best piece about it

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/9/26/9402795/phantom-calls-from-corrupt-officiating-crew-buries-texas-longhorns?utm_campaign=barkingcarnival&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Then after, Big 12 supervisor: 'Generally pleased' with Oklahoma State-Texas officiating

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13767910/big-12-supervisor-generally-pleased-oklahoma-state-cowboys-texas-longhorns-officiating

Dammit. Just reread that and now im even more pissed

fuck you big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So we just need two more schools to release a similar statement about not renewing the GOR?

this is correct, then the steps are taken to immediately dissolve following the 21-22 season, I believe.

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

AAS is full of shit. Water is wet. 

Of course UT will say that. But the longer that the other teams stay in the Big 12 with no announced plans for a new conference move, the more it hurts their recruiting. While I’d like for us to join the SEC as soon as possible, Texas does have the luxury of time that other schools don’t, and this can force them to make their own moves which could hasten a mutual scrapping of this shit conference.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Can you cite examples of the TTU athletic dept. "ripping UT in the press", prior to the news about the SEC move?

I wasn't talking about the TTU athletic department doing it. I was talking about the members of the press themselves. TTU and others just kind of went along with it because they read the room wrong and thought UT would continue putting up with that environment forever. I do see how that was unclear in my post.

Nobody from TTU or other ADs publicly ripped Texas in the press. But there sure were a bunch of anonymous sources from Big 12 schools all the time that did it. The odds that none of those were ever from Tech is small, but that's a minor side point.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Texas and OU are just avoiding repudiation. If a party declares that they will not perform under the terms of a contract, that opens the door for the other parties to bring suit.

As repeated many times over in this thread, Texas and OU won't have to do anything to get out of the contract as soon as other conference members start scrambling to find a landing spot. As soon as 4 teams declare that they are leaving, the conference dissolves. 2 down, 2 to go.

It’s all about face. Seems if we wanted to be Dick’s about it we could just yell ‘sovereign immunity’ and walk out the door.

35 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Sirius 84 had two aggy guys (AD and some rivals guy) talking down on UT this morning while I was driving to work, but McMurphy was up next. Hopefully he provided some counter-points to that dumbass aggy drivel. 

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill never forgive the conference for that 2015 OSU game

Worst officiated sporting event ive ever seen in person

My favorite was the Okie State fumble where like 4 Texas players were on the ball.  Then the Okie State QB runs in late and just sticks one arm in the pile.  And they awarded them possession.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know it would never come to that, but my dream scenario is that the sec covers the Texas and OU exit costs out of their current media deals which would cost about $10 million per school. Having a&m come out of pocket for $10 million for the privilege of having us in their conference would be the greatest thing in the history of ever. 

we still have to pay to get out of the GOR prior to 2025

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Of course UT will say that. But the longer that the other teams stay in the Big 12 with no announced plans for a new conference move, the more it hurts their recruiting. While I’d like for us to join the SEC as soon as possible, Texas does have the luxury of time that other schools don’t, and this can force them to make their own moves which could hasten a mutual scrapping of this shit conference.

Yep.  That was a press release from our lawyers.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does paying the buyout if we leave early count as honoring the existing grant of rights agreements?

Yes.  If a contract has a termination provision with a buyout and you exercise your legal right to terminate -- it is not a breach of contract so long as you comply with any notice provisions and pay the buyout.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

It’s all about face. Seems if we wanted to be Dick’s about it we could just yell ‘sovereign immunity’ and walk out the door.
Unless Big 12 member schools waived sovereign immunity in their contracts. I haven't seen the contracts, though, so I don't know if that is the case.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Is this Big 10 talk really a thing? And what the hell does he mean in that last sentence?

Oh, I think OU is about set on SEC, remember Castiglione just ripped Fox over the 11am kick they wouldn't move for Sooners v Huskers...
On the last sentance, Flug seems to think B1G can make a B1G/ PAC merger, or raid the best from PAC as USC & UCLA, (*sound similar)...

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:
5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Unless Big 12 member schools waived sovereign immunity in their contracts. I haven't seen the contracts, though, so I don't know if that is the case.

Been a while since I looked at this, but I don’t believe a governmental entity can contractually waive immunity under Texas law.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What other Big 12 schools are AAU?

Iowa State, Kansas, and Texas.  There are a few others that are considered Carnegie Tier I research universities for the purposes of federal research grants, aeronautical opportunities, etc.  TCU is kind of in a hybrid space between the two categories.  Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia are fucking academic jokes.  I know it's not popular to discuss, but it's relevant to the realignment thread.  But the Pac-12, Big East, and Big 10 aren't going to swoop in and take those remnant universities because they are the only academically driven conferences in the U.S.  And most of the schools in our league are glorified community colleges.  I know it's sounds snooty so neg rep me.  But they're generic, land grant pieces of shit.  Don't get me wrong, they whoop our ass more often than they should on the field/court/diamond.

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
8 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Texas, from what I’ve read, doesn’t have the authority to waive sovereign immunity, it would require approval by the lege/gov.

• Hook 'Em 1