Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think in the long run this could help Aggy hit 75k enrollment, 25k in engineering. This will drive the semi-smart kids away from Baylor, TCU, and Tech's Business School into Aggy's arms because they want to see a decent football team in a good conference.

They never see the long game. 

Eh... I don't know if that's true.

Is there really any evidence to suggest that conference realignment has ruined a school's ACADEMIC fate? I can think of schools who have been HELPED by realignment (TCU to name one), but none that have been truly hurt. Open to examples though!

Case Western, UChicago, the Ivies, Rice, etc... All screwed themselves or got screwed by others yet all remain very competitive academically. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

LSU office mate has advised me that (1) outsiders view UT and aggy alumni/fans as being pretty much the same, and (2) we had better come to the SEC humbly and without ridiculous demands like horns down being a taunting penalty.....  I sure hope Sark rights this ship in a hurry and that our first spin around the SEC dance floor sets him and them straight.

Had to google it.  Huh, who knew?

• Haha 2

LSU office mate has advised me that (1) outsiders view UT and aggy alumni/fans as being pretty much the same, and (2) we had better come to the SEC humbly and without ridiculous demands like horns down being a taunting penalty.....  I sure hope Sark rights this ship in a hurry and that our first spin around the SEC dance floor sets him and them straight.

Tell that bayou rat to fuck off and get his own hand-sign.

We need UT/OU logos on the Bobs

Bob Bowlsby?

363f4b6d295831979db9b1f8a732ddfa.jpg

Well look, I already told you! I deal with the goddamn ADs so the Presidents don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Edit: Dammit Baba!!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Shit, if you are kicking Gata ass, you can mock chomp us till your shoulder dislocates. Bragging rights and all. I can’t imagine being that butt-hurt over something like that.

The context if other teams could do horns down but if we sheathed Tech guns or did Horns up at them we would get flagged. That is what triggered all this.

25 minutes ago, n64ra said:

You have a lot of blame going around. That's good, I suppose though OSU is notably absent. I blame them for not winning more games against OU and for not having any nattys. I also blame Stillwater for not being a major TV market.

We have the same TV markets as OU, they just have 70 years of blueblood status which we will never be able to match. Yeah, we should be able to beat them more, but being pretty good for the last 20 years or so actually makes it harder for us to beat them. They never overlook us, make very few mistakes (in part because we always play them late in the season), and we can only win if we are flawless and they make mistakes. That has happened very very rarely in the last 20 years (prior to that the games were rarely even competitive, usually blowouts). We will never be able to match their recruiting, it doesn't change that we are still a perennial top 25 team and have improved every athletics facility on campus. We are a fine athletic program, but not enough to direct moves in realignment. Indiana and Wake Forest are safe because of historical alliances that we simply don't have despite our far superior product. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

We have the same TV markets as OU, they just have 70 years of blueblood status which we will never be able to match. Yeah, we should be able to beat them more, but being pretty good for the last 20 years or so actually makes it harder for us to beat them. They never overlook us, make very few mistakes (in part because we always play them late in the season), and we can only win if we are flawless and they make mistakes. That has happened very very rarely in the last 20 years. We will never be able to match their recruiting, it doesn't change that we are still a perennial top 25 team and have improved every athletics facility on campus. We are a fine athletic program, but not enough to direct moves in realignment. Indiana and Wake Forest are safe because of historical alliances that we simply don't have despite our far superior product. 

Ah, yes. The "the other team always shows up to play us" bit. Texas has that problem in every. single. game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

What do people think goes on in these discussions? This isn't like some band insisting there be a bucket of fried chicken ready when we come off stage. I'm pretty sure the list of demands looked something like:

1. Pay us a obscene amounts of money
  2. Provide non-horrible officiating
  3. Have a nice day

How is 2005 "fake"?  That's as close to legit as we could get pre-playoff.

EDIT:  maybe this wasn't well-stated:

4 recognized/real - 1963, 1969, 1970, 2005
We have 15 total fake national championships. The kind A&M puts on a wall.

More like 11 total fake national championships, which (to your point) no Texas fan would put on the wall.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Law office of four lawyers.  Two with undergrad degrees from LSU.  Both saved by South Texas College of Law (they could have been aggys).

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Should probably seek different employment if that’s what they’re hiring. 

We, including them, are outstanding lawyers.  They just made a shitty undergrad decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

In no way should Horns Down be a penalty... hurt feelings shouldn't be penalized. God knows we hurt feelings every day here...

We've been over this a million times, but why should taunting be legal against Texas and illegal against everyone else? 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Eh... I don't know if that's true.

Is there really any evidence to suggest that conference realignment has ruined a school's ACADEMIC fate? I can think of schools who have been HELPED by realignment (TCU to name one), but none that have been truly hurt. Open to examples though!

Case Western, UChicago, the Ivies, Rice, etc... All screwed themselves or got screwed by others yet all remain very competitive academically. 

There have been many articles written about how an improved football product has increased enrollment at Baylor and TCU. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We've been over this a million times, but why should taunting be legal against Texas and illegal against everyone else? 

Isn't it already a penalty if directed to a player and not if its directed to their teammates or home fans? The ambiguity to me is if it's directed to fans when playing at DKR. The annual "horns down" article seems to be more clickbait than anything.

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

TCU and Baylor to the MWC isn’t a terrible move for them. They have upgraded facilities from the last 10 years of revenue and will be the top dog in their conference. With expanded playoffs, as long as the CFP doesn’t shut out mid-majors, they have a much clearer path to a national title. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am fine with no taunting penalties. Just call it fairly.

Exactly.  I've seen our guys get flagged for bowing after a sack.  If that's a flag, then for damn sure the Horns down has to be a flag.  I'd prefer neither, but both is okay.  Flagging one and not the other is fucktarded bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenNuggets said:

In no way should Horns Down be a penalty... hurt feelings shouldn't be penalized. God knows we hurt feelings every day here...

Facts don't care about your feelings. By rule, it's a foul that should be called.

...it will be a point of emphasis for officials to penalize any taunting action that is directed at an opponent. These actions are a bad look for the game and can lead to unnecessary confrontations between the teams and must be eliminated.

Just now, 'stache said:

Isn't it already a penalty if directed to a player and not if its directed to their teammates or home fans? The ambiguity to me is if it's directed to fans when playing at DKR. The annual "horns down" article seems to be more clickbait than anything.

If we're playing in Lubbock and Bijan Robinson scores a TD and stands in the end zone flipping off the fans, he's gonna get a flag thrown. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Yep. With all the media we supposedly control, we sure allow them to twist a legitimate concern regarding the rules from Mack Brown nearly 10 years ago into "Texas fans sure are pussies." Similar to when an off the cuff reaction to an 'upset' OT win  Joe Tessitore uttered "Texas is back!" has now become a running gag. Need to just win to shut everyone the hell up.