Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Gidnik said:

i think Texas and ou both pay their buyouts and then ESPN comes in and tells the remaining big 12 to let Texas and ou go to the SEC immediately and they will not lower the amount of money the big 12 tv rights. at least thats my take on it. i cant see either party wanting this to drag out until 2025,

Yup. Being that in all likelihood ESPN has been encouraging this from the beginning, they're probably willing to do whatever it takes to make this happen ASAP. You don't tell The Mouse no.

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, when the goddamned hell are UT officials going to get their asses on to call that bullshit?

Just sitting back and allowing that one side propaganda to be perpetuated is NOT making UT the “better guy who is above the fray”. Being passive in this case is for pussies.

A memoir from DeLoss is long overdue, but he - and the UT administration - just doesn't give a shit about setting the record straight. Oh, well. I'll continue telling corn and aggy to fuck off in person when the topic is broached. 

18 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Does the creation of a separate SECEast/SECWest networks mean that there will be two separate divisions of 8 teams rather than 4 pods of 4 teams?

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The only people running with the pod stuff are fans from what I can see.  No one with actual sources seems to be talking about pods.  I think it's going to be 2 divisions.

This. 

3 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

i think Texas and ou both pay their buyouts and then ESPN comes in and tells the remaining big 12 to let Texas and ou go to the SEC immediately and they will not lower the amount of money the big 12 tv rights. at least thats my take on it. i cant see either party wanting this to drag out until 2025,

I mean that's a possibility if ESPN wants to get to the Super SEC faster. If the remaining eight add

BYU
Cincinnati
Houston
UCF

or 4 teams along those lines I could see it happening. It may seem offensive to the 8 Big 12 members left behind but adding those 4 schools actually increases the national profile and eyeballs per school of the conference. The game of chicken at this point is if they'll hold on to do that rather than splitting up to other conferences. And of course if any of them can get an invite to the ACC, Big Ten, or Pac-12 then they should absolutely take it.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

It has and it's the same as everywhere.

Most of the time: "Texas is the most arrogant self-important school and fanbase ever. They think they're the most important but they're not. They're overrated and not as big a deal as they think they are."

Texas finally leaves a conference to better their own position: "HOLY SHIT OUR ENTIRE STATE ECONOMY IS GOING TO COLLAPSE AND OUR SCHOOLS ARE DOOMED!!! TEXAS CAN'T LEAVE US THEY'RE TOO IMPORTANT!!!"

We hate your guts!  We're going to do everything possible to fuck you over!

Stay!  We love you!  How could you do this to us?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

SEC! SEC! SEC!

So I wanted to discuss this matter a bit, and I'm not one to start new threads, so I will just post it here where it will be irrelevant in an hour.

I get the hatred for the SEC, I was a full on hater for years. But I live in the middle of SEC country and I have gained perspective and now understand it, even if I don't fully embrace it. As shocking as this may be, Texas fits perfectly into the SEC mindset. They collectively feel they are the best, and they all agree (one school aside) that Texas is among the best and should be included in their group.

They have very much adopted the Texas philosophy of "they hate us cuz they ain't us" and have banded together to shoot the rest of the collective sporting world a middle finger. Much like Horns down is a national topic simply because the world hates us, the SEC dominance is a topic because of the hatred as much as the factual nature.

We are learning right now the repercussions of surrounding yourselves with a bunch of also rans that never stack any trophies in the conference closet. We were losing credibility as a result. Pretty much everyone brings something to the table in the SEC in some way or form, and even the lowliest South Carolina still packs 70-80k into a stadium to watch their team lose year after year.

They simply do just care more. We do to, that's why we should be here. My first college football game ever was at Jordan-Hare Stadium and I was hooked. I went to the 2nd ever SEC Championship game and learned to hate Bammer. I have been to dozens of games at the Swamp and games in Baton Rouge and a few other SEC towns. They are all  die hard fans. The only ghost town for a game is typically Vandy, but at least they are in Nashville.

I don't think any fan base aside from aggy whole heartedly roots for another team like Bama. Most have a very strong hatred for all things crimson, and truly hate their rivals. But if the option is to root for Bama or Ohio State, they want Bama to murder Ohio State to prove that the conference they play in is the best. It doesn't matter the sport, the SEC wants to dominate it. Over the last decade they pretty much have (aside from basketball). It means that every game every week matters. If you came close but didn't win it, at least you probably get a shot at the team that did next year. That is much better than another year long schedule facing a bunch of teams that have never won shit.

Texas is one of the very best brands in college sports. We are now part of the very best conference in college sports. This is a great week to be a Longhorn.

That's just it - the Big 12 was hurting our brand.

When you start losing recruits to aggy, because SEC, it's time to reevaluate. Are SEC teams necessarily the best on the field? No, but they've definitely got the best, most passionate fans. Perception trumped reality with ESPN propaganda. Now we stand to benefit from it, while banking an additional $31MM in TV rights per year and rekindling old rivalries with Arky & aggy. Sounds like a win/win/win to me.

• Hook 'Em 8

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Tell your idiot coworker this is how it actually went:

1. Conference opponents threw horns down at Texas for decades. Texas never had a problem with it.
  2. Texas got a flag for throwing the horns up during a game (Roy Williams) AT HOME.
  3. Texas got a flag for throwing guns down in Lubbock (Mike Davis).
  4. Texas said why the fuck is that a penalty?
  5. Big 12 finally realized oh yeah that's pretty fucking hypocritical.
  6. The end.

NU always did the forearm X when the Blackshirts (R.I.P.) made a big stop. In Lincoln 2010, Keenan Robinson (?) made a big stop behind the LOS, did the forearm X, flags flew, first down Huskers. 

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I can assure you he's looking at what he's already assembled in Aggieland and not worried in the slightest about playing the Sooners or Longhorns. Neither are his players. In fact, it's the opposite, as the Ags are counting the days until the Big 12 defectors arrive in the SEC.[/Dumbass Looch]

They have hate calendars on their lockers in our facilities that are second to none. They mark each day with blood. They think of brave Sul Ross and build little bonfires after practice to express their burning desire to defeat the Great Satan who we really don't care about.

They're sharpening their cleats. Slapping each other on the back like Spartans before any battle other then ThermoKylee where they lost heroically against TeXerxes [I know Liucci doesn't get this. Looch, baby, think of 300 without the Vaseline in your hand and tears of shame flowing down your manly cheeks in such floods that you miss the jar.] They're working in shifts to deal with their anticipation of defeating irrelevant tu.

They slaughter a longhorn every Friday and eat it, raw, over the weekend. And, they don't worry about Texas because none of us do. We've moved on to better things. We've licked balls grown strong with our brothers in the SEC. Texas and OU have never beaten an SEC team. So we're not worried about tu. We're SEC. It's on the magic patches on our jersies, oversized pick-up trucks, and maroon sedans.

You see, tu is nothing to us. Jimbo knows that just like he knows how to win a national championship. He's shrugging his shoulders in indifference as he plans everyday to defeat, embarrass, and make cry the Sooners and tu.

We're a national power now that we're permanently installed in the top five. We beat Florida last year. We're almost to the point of dominating everybody, especially tu who is irrelevant to us and the world. 

Hang in there, Ags. We are about to be universally loved as is our fate!

[His would be more, way more, prolix. I fear staying in his mindset might diminish my own limited intellectual power, so I'll leave off here.]

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

It will be divisions but pods would be better with rotating pairings to form temporary divisions for two seasons at a time. That way you would play everyone both home and away at least every six years.

With divisions and the possibility of also having a permanent cross-division rival, even a 9 game conference schedule would mean it would take 14 years to play every other conference opponent both home and away.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yes, the 2025 is the earliest legal date at this point. It will be negotiated down.

Is there an upside about delaying at least until 2023 on the football side of the coin?

Again, devils argument could be made it would give the Horns some time to get  ready for the what the SEC and media likes to think is the toughest schedules in all of football mankind that each SEC team plays every season.    A year three under Sarks system with most of his recruits on the field in the best case scenario might put  the idiots mainly from A&M, but a few other SEC schools who think the Horns will be no better than Vandy their first year in the SEC in their place .  If we run through the BIG12, beat OU sux a couple of times and kick tail at least in a top tier bowl games or even make the playoff, that should shut up these fools real quick once the 2023 season comes around.

I don't want to speculate on the worse case.....   Too much of that we actually saw in real time under Tom and Charlie and going into a chapter three of this is gut kicker.

The LHN stuff is actually going to be one of the most enjoyable little sub-plots to this for folks that are paying attention. Which naturally won't be  the main stream media or Aggies. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that the end result of some form of all this is us playing in 2022, and ESPN basically using the LHN as a means to pay or eliminate or leverage to reduce our buyout to get the fuck out of the Big 12. Or the LHN as an overnight satellite feed to double content and SEC production that got the ball rolling on this deal...in other words, the much maligned and "shitty" LHN that everyone bitches about was one of the  main reasons we got into the SEC (we'd have gotten in regardless). 

The point is, as much as folks like to point and laugh at the guaranteed 15 million a year revenue stream we have, it's going to be hilarious to watch it play a pivotal role in us going to the SEC; either because it is a huge asset they want to leverage or because we're going to use it to basically leave the Big 12 without paying shit by 2022. The irony of the pronounced scapegoat of the fall of the Big 12 being a main instrument and asset to us getting into the SEC without paying shit on our own timeline is just delightful. 

I’m admittedly pretty hung over, but I’ve read this a couple of times now and still not entirely sure what you’re saying. How will ESPN leverage the LHN to eliminate/reduce our buyout to the Big 12? Do you mean that ESPN will pay it for us because they’ll be able to recoup that faster by turning it into SECWN (or some such)? Or am I completely missing your point?

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

How is this significantly different than aggy smearing us on the way out in 2011, and Nebraska doing the same in 2010?  Or a national guy like Kirk Herbstreit calling Austin a cesspool?  Yet we still rise to the top in athletic revenue and are perceived as the crown jewel of realignment.  No need for our administration to get involved in the mudslinging. 

I didn’t say UT has to sling mud.

It is not mudslinging when when presenting historical events in a rational, truthful manner. Since there are so many revisionists throwing bullshit out there, the fantasy is becoming history.

10 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Probably been posted but who cares the tears are too delicious

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article253005828.html

I've seen that link posted a couple of times but I didn't read the column until now. Utter garbage. Mac is a KU grad who has been in FW covering various things, including TCU since 2000 or so. I still want to know what Texas owning vast areas of land in West Texas, including the oil/mineral rights, has to do with Texas Tech.

So is there any sneaky language in the contract that allows ESPN to come to the BIG XII and say such huge lame duck members makes things worth less so we are reducing payouts? Then Texas and OU say no, no and pretend to fight and accept less revenue and now they can afford to get out early. Probably not but it would would be so much fun if a bomb like that could be dropped on the remaining 8.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It will be divisions but pods would be better with rotating pairings to form temporary divisions for two seasons at a time. That way you would play everyone both home and away at least every six years.

With divisions and the possibility of also having a permanent cross-division rival, even a 9 game conference schedule would mean it would take 14 years to play every other conference opponent both home and away.

Yep.. That needs to happen.... Total non sense aggy had been in the conference 9 seasons until they played UGA.    We played UGA before aggy.

Just now, SquishMitten said:

I’m admittedly pretty hung over, but I’ve read this a couple of times now and still not entirely sure what you’re saying. How will ESPN leverage the LHN to eliminate/reduce our buyout to the Big 12? Do you mean that ESPN will pay it for us because they’ll be able to recoup that faster by turning it into SECWN (or some such)? Or am I completely missing your point?

ESPN owes us a shit ton of money for the LHN through something like 2031. We can just say pay the Big 12 directly, give us the remainder, roll the LHN into the new SECW channel. We actually make money, then start making more money (SEC contract) faster. ESPN doesn't lose any money. Everyone wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

There's a number of ways they CAN do it, but your example works. They still us us 15 million times X years remaining, which is probably close to, lets say 80 million dollars. They can easily just "buy" out that contract to repurpose all the assets and the channel to their new network. Oh hey, it's the cost of our buyout! That's one way to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Woof...I like the pods idea even more now.

Where are y'all seeing the SEC West and SEC East split network proposals?

My boss is a Nebraska grad and he opened our staff meeting with "Looks like Texas is blowing up a conference for the 3rd time." 

The two Texas Exs just bit our tongues and smiled.   The two Sooners were both like who gives a fuck.  The one OSU grad was panicking so I said they'll easily land in a big 4 once the chips all fall.   The Nevada grad was like "what are guys talking about?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Plus it was Halloween weekend

Was your mind playing tricks on you?

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Play aggy for the first ever SEC game at DKR and make piggy our annual Thanksgiving weekend game is the way to go.

Why give aggy the honor of being our very first conference game? Fuck that shit. They need to get shoved somewhere in the middle of the schedule into obscurity.

21 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I see Texas still has to carry the Big 12 one more time. This time it's leading OU into the SEC. At least that's what it appears in this official correspondence.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

My boss is a Nebraska grad and he opened our staff meeting with "Looks like Texas is blowing up a conference for the 3rd time." 

The two Texas Exs just bit our tongues and smiled.   The two Sooners were both like who gives a fuck.  The one OSU grad was panicking so I said they'll easily land in a big 4 once the chips all fall.   The Nevada grad was like "what are guys talking about?"

Fuck your cornboss

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1