Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

26 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

i didnt say that they would shell out 240. i said that espn would not lower their payout.  that means the espn price would not be lowered. 

What ESPN payout are you talking about? Fox pays the Big 12’s tier 1 tv rights, not ESPN. ESPN has a basketball payout, but I can’t imagine that’s anywhere significant enough to be at all meaningful. 

Also, the language you quoted is from the conference agreement, not the Grant of Rights Agreement. You’d have to read the Grant of Rights agreement to determine UT’s rights after Withdrawal. Do you have a copy of the GOR Agreement? 

Edited by Burt Macklin

"Fisher has lived this and thrived. He dominated both Florida and Miami while constructing a monster in Tallahassee and I can assure you he's looking at what he's already assembled in Aggieland and not worried in the slightest about playing the Sooners or Longhorns. Neither are his players. In fact, it's the opposite, as the Ags are counting the days until the Big 12 defectors arrive in the SEC."

I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't Jimbo inherit a monster in Tallahassee that Bobby Bowden had spent decades building, then coasted on that success for a couple years, before auguring it into the ground before bolting for aggy?  Is that about right?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I've looked up a doctor's credentials when they sucked, but you're right it's irrelevant if they're doing a good job.

When I started my cancer ordeal last year, I ran with the oncologist who went to Stanford. ;)

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Maybe I’m way off. But with ESPN involved it wouldn’t be that difficult to coerce the remaining schools to take substantially less with a promise to assist finding them a landing spot. 

ESPN's relocation plans for the remaining Big 12 schools.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Maybe I’m way off. But with ESPN involved it wouldn’t be that difficult to coerce the remaining schools to take substantially less with a promise to assist finding them a landing spot. 

I don't see anything realistically happening other than the conference dissolving after this season. I am sure ESPN is on standby with a check, but once the B1G,ACC, and PAC make their moves I am 100% sure that the schools gaining entry into those conferences will want to start next season as well. We may see the schools try to hold out for the buyout money, and if I were one of the other 8 I would want to stick it to the two schools, but in both scenarios we are playing in the SEC next year. 

14 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Buyout Amount. Any Withdrawing Member shall pay to the Conference a commitment buyout fee (the “Buyout Amount”) in an amount equal to the sum of the amount of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the Member during the final two years of its membership in the Conference. 

SECTION 3 WITHDRAWAL AND SANCTIONS 3.1 Withdrawal. Notwithstanding the commitment of each Member set forth in Section 1.2.3 above, a Member may only withdraw from the Conference, cease to be a member in the Conference, or otherwise fail to fully participate in the activities of the Conference in contravention of its commitment to remain a Member in the Conference for such ninety-nine (99) year period (“Withdraws” or “Withdrawal”) by fully complying with the provisions of these Bylaws and by paying the Buyout Amount (as defined below). Each Member acknowledges and agrees that the Withdrawal of a Member and the payment of the Buyout Amount and implementation of the provisions of these Bylaws does not abrogate the obligations of such Withdrawing Member (as defined below) pursuant to that certain Amended and Restated Grant of Rights Agreement dated effective as of July 1, 2012, or any replacement or extension thereof or other agreement pursuant to which such Member grants the right to telecast some or all of its sporting events to the Conference (a “Grant of Rights Agreement”). The Grant of Rights Agreement which will remain in full force and effect as to such Withdrawing Member and the Withdrawing Member shall continue to be fully bound under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal for the remainder of the term of any Grant of Rights Agreement as if it remained a Member of the Conference, but the Withdrawing Member shall not be entitled to payment of any amounts or any other benefits arising under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal.

Okay, I see the disconnect. Paying the buyout now versus on 6/30/2023. If a team withdraws from the Big 12 they owe the buyout, but the withdrawal date is the first June 30th that's at least 18 months after they declaration of withdrawal. So the remaining teams have two main options:

1. Try to stick it out as a conference. Take the $160M on 6/30/2023. Hold on to Texas and OU's GOR until 7/1/2025. Then get absolutely dick from their rights after that and try to make that money work for the rest of their program's lives.
  2. Take the $160M ASAP. Relinquish Texas and OU's GOR. Build a new good conference or find other homes. Negotiate decent TV rights.

I mean theoretically they could go with #1, and some of them might be dumb enough to do it. But I doubt that happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, I see the disconnect. Paying the buyout now versus on 6/30/2023. If a team withdraws from the Big 12 they owe the buyout, but the withdrawal date is the first June 30th that's at least 18 months after they declaration of withdrawal. So the remaining teams have two main options:

1. Try to stick it out as a conference. Take the $160M on 6/30/2023. Hold on to Texas and OU's GOR until 7/1/2025. Then get absolutely dick from their rights after that and try to make that money work for the rest of their program's lives.
  2. Take the $160M ASAP. Relinquish Texas and OU's GOR. Build a new good conference or find other homes. Negotiate decent TV rights.

I mean theoretically they could go with #1, and some of them might be dumb enough to do it. But I doubt that happens.

I don't think there's any way we payout $160M ASAP, there will be an offer for something much smaller ASAP to settle or drag this out and risk ANY payout 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

exactly

17 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Buyout Amount. Any Withdrawing Member shall pay to the Conference a commitment buyout fee (the “Buyout Amount”) in an amount equal to the sum of the amount of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the Member during the final two years of its membership in the Conference. 

SECTION 3 WITHDRAWAL AND SANCTIONS 3.1 Withdrawal. Notwithstanding the commitment of each Member set forth in Section 1.2.3 above, a Member may only withdraw from the Conference, cease to be a member in the Conference, or otherwise fail to fully participate in the activities of the Conference in contravention of its commitment to remain a Member in the Conference for such ninety-nine (99) year period (“Withdraws” or “Withdrawal”) by fully complying with the provisions of these Bylaws and by paying the Buyout Amount (as defined below). Each Member acknowledges and agrees that the Withdrawal of a Member and the payment of the Buyout Amount and implementation of the provisions of these Bylaws does not abrogate the obligations of such Withdrawing Member (as defined below) pursuant to that certain Amended and Restated Grant of Rights Agreement dated effective as of July 1, 2012, or any replacement or extension thereof or other agreement pursuant to which such Member grants the right to telecast some or all of its sporting events to the Conference (a “Grant of Rights Agreement”). The Grant of Rights Agreement which will remain in full force and effect as to such Withdrawing Member and the Withdrawing Member shall continue to be fully bound under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal for the remainder of the term of any Grant of Rights Agreement as if it remained a Member of the Conference, but the Withdrawing Member shall not be entitled to payment of any amounts or any other benefits arising under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal.

So if I'm reading this right, we owe two years plus whatever is remaining on the GOR which is only an additional year. Big XII distributed around $35 million this year per school ($37 or so million the year before) so the remainder of the LHN contract is more than enough to cover our buyout plus a significant portion of OU's buyout. Keep in mind that Tier 3 rights are owned by the schools not the conference and probably don't apply (depending on what the GOR says). 

2 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I don't think there's any way we payout $160M ASAP, there will be an offer for something much smaller ASAP to settle or drag this out and risk ANY payout 

I don't see any reason for the remaining 8 to give up their $20 million each. Getting it now is their counteroffer to giving up the Texas and OU GOR in order to expedite things.

22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

GTFO with that shit. I have colleagues that went to the Caribbean and they took the same exams and went through American residency/fellowship programs just like their "American" counterparts. There are a lot more Caribbean graduates in this country (~5-7%) than your pea brain could imagine.

I have never ever seen a patient ask a physician about their academic credentials. Patients just care that their issues get resolved and not where they came from.

My vet went to the vet school in St. Kitts. I'd choose her over any mouthbreather matriculating from that aggy dog doctor degree mill any day of the fucking week.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Or we stay in the conference and get to vote down any expansion efforts and otherwise gum up the works until the other members are forced to vote us out, which would be effective immediately per the Big 12 Agreement. 

if we follow the notice provision, our notice won’t be due until December, so I guess we continue to toe the company line and hope for the Big 12 to fall apart by then, but I don’t see us following the notice provision anyways. 

26 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

GTFO with that shit. I have colleagues that went to the Caribbean and they took the same exams and went through American residency/fellowship programs just like their "American" counterparts. There are a lot more Caribbean graduates in this country (~5-7%) than your pea brain could imagine.

I have never ever seen a patient ask a physician about their academic credentials. Patients just care that their issues get resolved and not where they came from.

"George, why would I, a Juilliard-trained dermatologist, send him to another doctor?"

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, demos said:

Ok. Sure looch.

Talk about short memories…less than a week ago they had an epic meltdown and now it’s all good. Uh huh. They got “the talk” behind closed doors from the SEC and now they are on the “hunt” to expose who “may” have leaked the TX/OU to SEC news. But carryon…we’ve seen who y’all are. We believe it. We see you. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

What do you call the guy who finished last in his class at the Grenada Medical School?

Doctor.

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What ESPN payout are you talking about? Fox pays the Big 12’s tier 1 tv rights, not ESPN. ESPN has a basketball payout, but I can’t imagine that’s anywhere significant enough to be at all meaningful. 

Also, the language you quoted is from the conference agreement, not the Grant of Rights Agreement. You’d have to read the Grant of Rights agreement to determine UT’s rights after Withdrawal. Do you have a copy of the GOR Agreement? 

ESPN and Fox share the tire 1 rights. Fox has more games than ESPN, but ESPN has the championship games. They apparently rotate options for the championship, but Fox opted not to buy the 2021 and 2023 championship games.

https://big12sports.com/news/2012/9/7/205680799

AGREEMENT FACTS

Terms ♦  13-year agreement.
♦  2012-13 athletic season through 2024-25.

Annual Football Coverage ♦  Every Big 12 controlled football game.
♦  ABC/ESPN: 19 games per year thru 2015, increasing to 23 games annually in 2016 (minimum 13-15 full national exposures via ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or in combination with reverse mirror); maximum four-five games on ESPNU.
♦  FOX: Approximately 38 games with minimum of six contests annually on FOX broadcast and six games on a national cable outlet.
♦  Member Retained Game: One member-retained game, which must be carried on a FOX platform if returned.
♦  Television partners have a maximum four six-day picks between them per season.
♦  Minimum four Thursday games each season (including Labor Day weekend and Thanksgiving Day); and one Labor Day Sunday appearance.
♦  Maximum of four games scheduled for 8:15 p.m. local time starts per season with the following restrictions: no program required to play more than twice; host more than once; play consecutive weekends; and six-day pick only with Conference consent.

29 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Echo the thoughts on OU.  I hate those fuckers, they fucking suck at life and voluntarily associating themselves with that shithole state is beyond me.  But I respect them on some level at least.

Aggy, not so much.  I dont hate them because they arent worth it.  They're complete dipshits who cover up their short dick insecurities by embracing their dumbfuck cult bullshit one million percent.  The best part about them is how easy it is to get them frothing at the mouth over little things that prove how lame they are (like the past week).  They're just pure human comedy but not worth wasting any brain cells on

You just wasted 4 lines worth of brain cells on typing that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This is 100% correct, but I don't think the UT admin will ever do anything about it.

i think the last time we called out anyone was dkr calling out switzer for spying in '76

we've been taking the high road for 45 years

it's been tough to take as a stakeholder

but it appears we are going weaponize the landscape and unleash a fully operational deathstar

feel the force motherfuckers

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

i think the last time we called out anyone was dkr calling out switzer for spying in '76

we've been taking the high road for 45 years

it's been tough to take as a stakeholder

but it appears we are going weaponize the landscape and unleash a fully operational deathstar

feel the force motherfuckers

So say we all! 

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't see any reason for the remaining 8 to give up their $20 million each. Getting it now is their counteroffer to giving up the Texas and OU GOR in order to expedite things.

Sovereign immunity gives us an OU a lot of leverage.  Ask Mike Leach how it works. 

• Fuck You 1