Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, South Austin said:

Dennis Dodd reports that it’s written in Pig Latin and Texas and Oklahoma won’t be able to get out of it without a translator, which is damn hard to find these days.

Maybe an Arkansas grad can translate it for OU and TX

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Does anyone have a copy of the Grant of Rights Agreement? I’ve only seen the language form the Conference agreement, which references the GOR Agreement and provides for the Buyout Amount. 

Courtesy of WW McClyde at IT.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8jb5kvZz0PcUzJpdV9YaVZHaFE/edit?resourcekey=0-1JLZ0VUnEeCu4Jjn85wwlA

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This thread is quite the roller coaster - especially starting from yesterday when the Cease-and-Desist letter dropped.  A large group of them were convinced the FBI & DOJ would be involved and that ESPN execs were headed to prison - until one brave soul explained to them that tortious interference was not a criminal offence.  Now they're all convinced that they'll be receiving a billion dollar settlement from the Mouse. 

I legitimately feel bad for Iowa St - they seem like good people (as opposed to the human excrement down in Waco).

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/report-ou-texas-reach-out-to-join-sec.264289/page-196

Fuck Iowa State, too. Plenty of their fans feel as if Texas owes it to them to keep lining their pockets. Campbell was gone after this year anyway. Even deader weight UT and OU would be carrying moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, demos said:

Waco based hack has a study that - surprise - shows:

A UT move to SEC could cost the Waco, Lubbock and Fort Worth economies $500M

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2021/07/28/a-ut-move-to-sec-could-cost-the-waco-lubbock-and-ft-worth-economies-500m/

Man, I guess they really should have spent the last 106 (Baylor), 90 (TCU split over two periods), and 65 (Tech) years being in UT's conference building up their own programs so their local economies didn't depend so much on those mean evil Longhorns. Sounds like a complete and total failure on their parts.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Fuck Iowa State, too. Plenty of their fans feel as if Texas owes it to them to keep lining their pockets. Campbell was gone after this year anyway. Even deader weight UT and OU would be carrying moving forward. 

The Lions offered Campbell the Matt Rhule contract and he turned it down. Guaranteed HC contracts in the NFL are not the norm. I know he’s a loyal guy, but his agent failed him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sdhornesq said:

How is this not a good deal for all involved?

Because the AAC 4 would lose $25+ mil a year? That’s what’s so stupid about this theory. Nobody who can do math would forego $150 mil in buyout money to make $25 mil less per year in a conference that would take them in a heartbeat if and when necessary as an absolute last resort.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah... The final big 12 championship game really needs to be TX v Oklahoma. I think the sec chants are lame, but having 80,000 people or however many people fit in Jerry world, chanting sec while bowlsby hands over the trophy to Riley or Sark would be hilarious. 

No. God fucking no. Never. Jesus fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-believes-american-is-attempting-to-grab-eight-remaining-members-with-texas-oklahoma-leaving-for-sec/

Big 12 believes American is attempting to grab eight remaining members with Texas, Oklahoma leaving for SEC

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby not holding back as he tries to save his league with its powers leaving

By Dennis Dodd  1 hr ago

Reveal hidden contents

The Big 12 is concerned that the American Athletic Conference (AAC) is actively attempting to assume all eight remaining league members once Texas and Oklahoma are formally accepted into the SEC, league sources tell CBS Sports. This comes as Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBS Sports that ESPN is leading an attempt to restructure college sports.

"I'm absolutely certain [ESPN was] involved in it with the [American] trying to poach our members," Bowlsby told CBS Sports.

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

ESPN provided the following statement Wednesday night in reference to Bowlsby's letter: "The claims in the letter have no merit."

The Big 12 has clearly taken a fight-to-the-death stance as the two most powerful members of its league are mere steps from joining the nation's most powerful conference.

In fact, the Big 12's bylaws are written in such a way that -- if there is even one member remaining -- a program can individually sue any of the entities in this discussion -- the SEC, the AAC or even ESPN.

Leaning on the "disinterested directors" clause in its bylaws, the Big 12 intends to make the migration of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as difficult as possible. 

After losing four teams in the last round of conference realignment a decade ago, those bylaws were drafted in 2012 to stand for a period of 99 years. Texas and Oklahoma were part of the group who, according to one source, wanted the longest agreement possible.

That last round of realignment led to the Big 12 registering itself as a corporation in the state of Delaware. That helps prevent it from serving as a defendant in Texas where the University of Texas might have a legal advantage.

"Oklahoma and Texas are going to do everything they can to get out of the grant of rights and get out of the bylaw stipulations. It's going to be a long process," Bowlsby told CBS Sports.

Bowlsby recently told the eight remaining Big 12 schools that his strategy is to fight for survival as long as they stay together.

As long the Big 12 remains viable, ESPN and Fox cannot reduce the conference's rights fees under the current contract.

Big 12 schools each make approximately $37 million annually. Industry sources told CBS Sports that the Big 12's worth declined 50% to 75% with the defections of the Longhorns and Sooners.

"The eight remaining schools are dealing with a lot," Bowlsby told CBS Sports. "They're coming off a COVID year. They're coming off a rough year on ticket sales. … If we stay together, I think we'll have some options [in realignment]."

While it's reasonable to expect further consolidations in conference realignment, the Big 12 believes the conferences themselves should control that dialogue instead of what it considers to be undue influence by ESPN.

ESPN has exclusive rights to the ACC and will have those rights to the SEC soon. It shares Tier I media rights with Fox for the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12.

So any trial would be in Delaware?

Also, is the following true?  I thought there was a clause that ESPN and FOX could adjust payouts to the league if any school leaves or is added?

As long the Big 12 remains viable, ESPN and Fox cannot reduce the conference's rights fees under the current contract.

No, the trial would not be in Delaware. Thousands of corporations register there for various reasons. But, venue would be  where the principal place of business resides or where the material parts of the claims arose.

Another factor that any court would take into account is ... mitigation of damages.

An aggrieved party under a breach of contract has the duty to take reasonable action to mitigate its damages. So, if a university can make up for some of the expected lost revenue by aggressively pursuing being absorbed into another conference, it must take those steps or risk the likelihood of having its pay day reduced ... perhaps significantly so.

Along those lines, does Bowlsby have a conflict of interest? If all 8 members can be absorbed elsewhere then while that is going on, negotiations are underway to make sure that new larger conference (AAC perhaps) be included in the expanded playoffs and have a larger television contract, but that would mean Bowlsby loses his job, he would be forced to negotiate himself out of a job. That testimony would be epic!

Mouthpiece Shark: So, Bowlsby, did you negotiate with other conferences to have all 8 teams absorbed as a package deal?

Bowlsby: Uh .......

Mouthpiece Shark: So, Bowlsby, with a new TV contract which the Mouse or the Fox said they would have done, that would have increased each of the 8 schools' revenue by X amount. Did you consider that Sport?

Bowlsby: Uh .....

Mouthpiece Shark: So, Bowlsby, records indicate the Conference was paying you $6 million a year plus incentives. If a new conference was formed, you would be out of a job. You certainly took that into account didn't you Old Boy?

Bowlsby: Uh... well... uh....

Mouthpiece Shark: And you were the one, just days before those fine institutions of higher learning, Texas and ... well, Texas anyway, announced they were departeering, you said, It's ok, nothing to see here.... move along. Correct?

Bowlsby: Uh....

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lidig8r said:

No, the trial would not be in Delaware. Thousands of corporations register there for various reasons. But, venue would be  where the principal place of business resides or where the material parts of the claims arose.

Another factor that any court would take into account is ... mitigation of damages.

An aggrieved party under a breach of contract has the duty to take reasonable action to mitigate its damages. So, if a university can make up for some of the expected lost revenue by aggressively pursuing being absorbed into another conference, it must take those steps or risk the likelihood of having its pay day reduced ... perhaps significantly so.

Along those lines, does Bowlsby have a conflict of interest? If all 8 members can be absorbed elsewhere then while that is going on, negotiations are underway to make sure that new larger conference (AAC perhaps) be included in the expanded playoffs and have a larger television contract, but that would mean Bowlsby loses his job, he would be forced to negotiate himself out of a job. That testimony would be epic!

Mouthpiece Shark: So, Bowlsby, did you negotiate with other conferences to have all 8 teams absorbed as a package deal?

Bowlsby: Uh .......

Mouthpiece Shark: So, Bowlsby, with a new TV contract which the Mouse or the Fox said they would have done, that would have increased each of the 8 schools' revenue by X amount. Did you consider that Sport?

Bowlsby: Uh .....

Mouthpiece Shark: So, Bowlsby, records indicate the Conference was paying you $6 million a year plus incentives. If a new conference was formed, you would be out of a job. You certainly took that into account didn't you Old Boy?

Bowlsby: Uh... well... uh....

Mouthpiece Shark: And you were the one, just days before those fine institutions of higher learning, Texas and ... well, Texas anyway, announced they were departeering, you said, It's ok, nothing to see here.... move along. Correct?

Bowlsby: Uh....

Lawyered GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Lions offered Campbell the Matt Rhule contract and he turned it down. Guaranteed HC contracts in the NFL are not the norm. I know he’s a loyal guy, but his agent failed him. 

What are you even talking about. He didn't even interview.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Because the AAC 4 would lose $25+ mil a year? That’s what’s so stupid about this theory. Nobody who can do math would forego $150 mil in buyout money to make $25 mil less per year in a conference that would take them in a heartbeat if and when necessary as an absolute last resort.

I don't understand your argument. 

Are you arguing the Big 12 schools won't leave for the AAC because of the buyout money from Texas and OU? It's $160 million but only about 20 to each school. That's nothing and it's under the assumption those Big 12 schools even get the full buyout. 

19 minutes ago, demos said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2021/07/28/a-ut-move-to-sec-could-cost-the-waco-lubbock-and-ft-worth-economies-500m/

Because it's behind the paywall, who is the hack?

If it is who I think it is, it's the same guy/firm cities like to use to frame their arguments to spend money on useless things. Always something along the lines if you don't do this special tax zone or project, the city will lose is their MO.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Lions are one of at least two teams believed to have talked to Campbell during this year's hiring circuit, with the New York Jets being the other, but the source said the Lions' conversations with Campbell did not go beyond their first interview.

Campbell, who does not have an agent, posted a message on Twitter on Jan. 10 saying he was staying at Iowa State. Less than a month later, he agreed to a new eight-year contract that ties him to the school through the 2028 season.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/05/21/matt-campbell-detroit-lions-head-coach-offer/5198417001/

So he did the first round of interviews.

I don’t know if the Lions’ getting on that plane and visiting Campbell would have led, eventually, to an offer being made. What I do know is that one wasn’t made. And, again, that Detroit’s not alone in its interest in the Cyclones coach.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/24/mmqb-matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-uncertain-offseason-good-place

Edited by bar

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Call scheduled for 3pm per the twitters….

26 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Thanks for this. Is there a way to get this highlighted or pinned so we dont have 20 of the same reposted question? Shit even have the surly twitter put it out there.

You seem to be very anti march-to-a-1000-pages, BornAndRaised.  

Not very Surley-esque, sir!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Because it's behind the paywall, who is the hack?

If it is who I think it is, it's the same guy/firm cities like to use to frame their arguments to spend money on useless things. Always something along the lines if you don't do this special tax zone or project, the city will lose is their MO.

Ray Perryman is an economist in Waco. Find more details of his athletics conference analysis at www.perrymangroup.com. He wrote this column for The Dallas Morning News.

Maybe delete your cookies and you can read the article. No paywall showing for me

edit: he has his analysis posted on his website below which looks freely accessible

https://www.perrymangroup.com/publications/report/2021/07/28/potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/

Edited by htownjd
edit

1 minute ago, htownjd said:

Ray Perryman is an economist in Waco. Find more details of his athletics conference analysis at www.perrymangroup.com. He wrote this column for The Dallas Morning News.

Maybe delete your cookies and you can read the article. No paywall showing for me

Lol!   I just don't want to have to reset a bunch of passwords..   

Thanks for confirming who I thought it was.  

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

Lol!   I just don't want to have to reset a bunch of passwords..   

Thanks for confirming who I thought it was.  

no worries, right when you posted i edited my post with at least some better info, fwiw

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kevwun said:

Is Baylor going to stop playing home games?  A sold out home game every other year isn't generating 100's of millions of dollars.

It's just non sense the numbers they toss out.   They know the media slurps up numbers to make headlines like a thirsty dog without explanation or who is behind the numbers and their agenda.   A simple back if the envelope calculation of how much per fan spends along with what a school might spend for their teams, bands,  and other support staff for one weekend every other year could probably put the  100's of millions of dollars argument to bed real quick.  

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

You seem to be very anti march-to-a-1000-pages, BornAndRaised.  

Not very Surley-esque, sir!

I prefer the McRib talk from the Urban Meyer thread, or the Chicken Wing talk from the recruiting thread. Or maybe I'm just a fat ass. In any case, carry on.

10 minutes ago, htownjd said:

edit: he has his analysis posted on his website below which looks freely accessible

https://www.perrymangroup.com/publications/report/2021/07/28/potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/

the big takeaway from his analysis:

Spoiler

The Perryman Group looked at two representative scenarios. In Scenario 1, the Big 12 Conference remains largely intact with the remaining eight teams (and potentially expands), with television revenues and attendance patterns similar to those in the American Athletic Conference (adjusted for specific characteristics of the individual schools). Scenario 2 assumes the Big 12 Conference is not maintained and individual schools must seek opportunities elsewhere, with ultimate performance mirroring the five most successful athletic programs in the Mountain West Conference (the next most successful league following the American Athletic Conference) adjusted for specific characteristics of the individual schools.

For the communities across the Big 12 Conference, the realignment could be expected to cause losses of $938.9 million in annual gross product and 12,623 jobs under Scenario 1, with $1.3 billion in annual gross product and 18,063 jobs for Scenario 2.

Looking specifically at the Texas universities, if Texas joins the SEC, there will undoubtedly be benefits for the university and the Austin area. However, the Waco, Lubbock, and Fort Worth areas would face negative economic consequences due to effects on Baylor University, Texas Tech University, and Texas Christian University. Total annual losses for these three communities were found to include $397.7 million in annual gross product and 5,322 jobs under Scenario 1 and $569.1 million in annual gross product and 7,615 jobs under Scenario 2 (including multiplier effects).

direct link to the PDF of the full report:

https://www.perrymangroup.com/media/uploads/report/perryman-potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference-07-28-21.pdf

table for b12 in scenario 1

Spoiler

y0Qcf6va

table for b12 in scenario 2

Spoiler

SlMd7hnB

Just now, NoName said:

the big takeaway from his analysis:

Hide contents

The Perryman Group looked at two representative scenarios. In Scenario 1, the Big 12 Conference remains largely intact with the remaining eight teams (and potentially expands), with television revenues and attendance patterns similar to those in the American Athletic Conference (adjusted for specific characteristics of the individual schools). Scenario 2 assumes the Big 12 Conference is not maintained and individual schools must seek opportunities elsewhere, with ultimate performance mirroring the five most successful athletic programs in the Mountain West Conference (the next most successful league following the American Athletic Conference) adjusted for specific characteristics of the individual schools.

For the communities across the Big 12 Conference, the realignment could be expected to cause losses of $938.9 million in annual gross product and 12,623 jobs under Scenario 1, with $1.3 billion in annual gross product and 18,063 jobs for Scenario 2.

Looking specifically at the Texas universities, if Texas joins the SEC, there will undoubtedly be benefits for the university and the Austin area. However, the Waco, Lubbock, and Fort Worth areas would face negative economic consequences due to effects on Baylor University, Texas Tech University, and Texas Christian University. Total annual losses for these three communities were found to include $397.7 million in annual gross product and 5,322 jobs under Scenario 1 and $569.1 million in annual gross product and 7,615 jobs under Scenario 2 (including multiplier effects).

direct link to the PDF of the full report:

https://www.perrymangroup.com/media/uploads/report/perryman-potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference-07-28-21.pdf

table for b12 in scenario 1

Reveal hidden contents

y0Qcf6va

table for b12 in scenario 2

Reveal hidden contents

SlMd7hnB

Man, if Texas is so important maybe they shouldn't have been back-stabbing assholes to UT this whole time. Oh well, missed opportunity. Now fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't understand your argument. 

Are you arguing the Big 12 schools won't leave for the AAC because of the buyout money from Texas and OU? It's $160 million but only about 20 to each school. That's nothing and it's under the assumption those Big 12 schools even get the full buyout. 

I think it is about one more year or two. Texas wants to leave 2022 thats means going from 38M to about 12M. Prolong the fight 2 years and you pocket over 50M.

So I was curious to see what Perryman said about aggy leaving a decade a go and turned to the Googler to see. 

Unfortunately the report drafted  is no longer on the Perryman website.    I did find this article about the report and here is the money quote with the sky is going to fall on the Texas economy non sense back then.

Why then the cries of poverty in Texas should Texas A&M leave the Big 12? According to a report by the Perryman Group, even if the Big 12 stays intact, the economic impact of Texas A&M joining the SEC is a reduction of $217.2 million in gross product and 3,050 jobs on the Texas economy. Huh?

https://businessofcollegesports.com/finance/economic-impact-of-texas-am-moving-to-sec/

From The Bleacher Report

But what would happen within the state of Texas if they pulled out of the Big 12? According to a study by The Perryman Group shared on Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples' blog, if Texas A&M left the conference and the conference remained stable with the same teams (minus A&M), "the decreases of business activity in the state would be $217.2 million (gross product)." According to that same study, the state could lose up $1 billion in total spending. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/821126-texas-am-to-the-sec-heres-a-primer-for-big-12-and-sec-fans

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, demos said:

If this is true, stated differently, UT/ou by remaining in the B12 over the last 10 years afforded all the schools in the B12 2.4 billion dollars in tv contract money, outside our own cut, and 5 billion dollars to the Waco, Lubbock and Ft Worth economies and jobs.  Were they grateful?  No, they bitched then and enjoyed mocking us at every turn.

I'd prefer that they just said thank you...  

See the source image

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think it is about one more year or two. Texas wants to leave 2022 thats means going from 38M to about 12M. Prolong the fight 2 years and you pocket over 50M.

Prolonging the fight doesn’t keep Texas or OU in the Big 12 or increase the Big 12’s revenue. It just means all parties involved will have a nasty lawsuit hanging over them. They’re still leaving either way. This is all just posturing to arrive at a dollar amount for the settlement. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The number I've seen is $37 million to $9 million without Oklahoma and Texas. 

The buyout of $160 million (or $20 million for each irate 8 member) is also a big assumption. I would say their best hope is to get half that amount. There's a lot of things that have to go in favor of the irate 8 to pocket $50 million. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

The number I've seen is $37 million to $9 million without Oklahoma and Texas. 

The buyout of $160 million (or $20 million for each irate 8 member) is also a big assumption. I would say their best hope is to get half that amount. There's a lot of things that have to go in favor of the irate 8 to pocket $50 million. 

And are you willing to fuck up your future over 20 million?