Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Still doesn’t persuade me to buy Rice season tickets, but good for them. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/american-to-review-expansion-candidates-with-six-conference-usa-teams-expected-to-apply-for-membership/

MWC not expanding.  Apparently AAC beat them to their targets: 

"...Mountain West sources told CBS Sports on Monday night that the conference will not expand beyond the current 12 teams in football. MWC presidents see no value in adding teams. A contributing factor is that the MWC's rightsholders, Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said. Teams in the league earn an average of $5 million per year, and the MWC's current TV deal expires in 2026.

"I don't understand the value of 14 [in the AAC]," said a high-profile source familiar with media rights worth of schools, "but more power to them."

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson admitted this weekend that he had spoken to "four to six" schools while investigating potential expansion. Three of those were thought to be North Texas, UTSA and Rice with an aim of creating a stronger recruiting presence in Texas...."

Also from the article:

"...As for when this would all transpire, that remains unknown.

"This probably is in the hands of Texas and Oklahoma," said a source from one of the six Conference USA teams exploring the AAC. "The sooner they go, the sooner we can go....""

Well we all know the land thieves will cheat and go out sooner....

• Haha 1

So this may be dumb question, but I haven't really seen an answer for this on any forum...

What happens to the playoff payout structure if all of the sudden if there is one less G5 conference?

Does the change in payout get split up among all conferences or split among the remaining G5? If they are going to increase the split for the G5 into a G4, there is a huge incentive to go ahead and axe the CUSA before they can back fill more with FCS schools and further dilute the distribution pool.

So another 8-12 programs will join from FCS. At what point does it end? Sunbelt and C-USA leftovers need to merge and be done with it. No more shitty bowl games. I know the money is better, but at least in FCS there is a playoff and these teams can win a championship, or at least compete for one. Western Kentucky's peak would be playing a 6-6 Big 10 team in the KFC Greasy Sandwich Bowl. I don't get the appeal, for fans at least who don't have any benefit of the TV money. If some of these teams formed a new division with a playoff, I bet there would be TV money in it if it was promoted correctly.

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So another 8-12 programs will join from FCS. At what point does it end? Sunbelt and C-USA leftovers need to merge and be done with it. No more shitty bowl games. I know the money is better, but at least in FCS there is a playoff and these teams can win a championship, or at least compete for one. Western Kentucky's peak would be playing a 6-6 Big 10 team in the KFC Greasy Sandwich Bowl. I don't get the appeal, for fans at least who don't have any benefit of the TV money. If some of these teams formed a new division with a playoff, I bet there would be TV money in it if it was promoted correctly.

The idea of seeking a way to "move up" comes up every so often amongst Montana Grizzlies fans, but I really hope they never do. 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Hopefully Sun Belt and CUSA realize adding more FCS schools just makes it tougher for their existing members.  More competition for recruits.

4 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

So this may be dumb question, but I haven't really seen an answer for this on any forum...

What happens to the playoff payout structure if all of the sudden if there is one less G5 conference?

Does the change in payout get split up among all conferences or split among the remaining G5? If they are going to increase the split for the G5 into a G4, there is a huge incentive to go ahead and axe the CUSA before they can back fill more with FCS schools and further dilute the distribution pool.

I've always seen it written that there is a G5 pool and they decide how to split it up.  So presumably they would divide the same money 4 ways instead of 5.  That would be an incentive for AAC, MWC and MAC to expand.  There are 56 G5 teams (+ 5 indies).  4 conferences X 14 teams =56 and absorbs all of them.  AAC is apparently going to 14.  MWC claims it is not, but they might change their mind, especially if MAC is able to pick up a couple of CUSA schools.

Moving quick:
YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

The applications from the six Conference USA schools are trickling into the AAC, according to sources. The application is really a one/two-sentence declaration of interest. The earliest the 6 schools could start in the AAC is 2023-24. An announcement is expected later this week.
Quote Tweet

YTz0-AxN_mini.jpg

Pete Thamel

@PeteThamel
· 4h
The AAC is on the cusp of expansion, per sources. Full @YahooSports story on the impending applications of six new schools from Conference USA, the fallout and financial reverberations. https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aac-close-to-massive-6-school-expansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html

57 minutes ago, bullet said:

Hopefully Sun Belt and CUSA realize adding more FCS schools just makes it tougher for their existing members.  More competition for recruits.

I think the Sun Belt might raid a couple of schools from CUSA to get to 12.  I'm not sure that anyone else will raid CUSA unless it's in a trickle down scenario.  It's hard to see any way that CUSA survives without raiding the FCS ranks and it looks like they're going to have enough schools left over that they will likely decide to do that.  But maybe they go all in on being an eastern conference and make a push for Liberty, UMass, football-only UConn, Army, etc.  

That said, I think more movement is pretty likely.  Boise and Memphis are likely to go to the Big 12 at some point.  I'd really like to know what SMU brass/donors think about sharing a conference with UNT, UTSA, etc.  Joining the MWC might be viewed as a way to elevate their brand above the other G5 schools in the state.

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

I think the Sun Belt might raid a couple of schools from CUSA to get to 12.  I'm not sure that anyone else will raid CUSA unless it's in a trickle down scenario.  It's hard to see any way that CUSA survives without raiding the FCS ranks and it looks like they're going to have enough schools left over that they will likely decide to do that.  But maybe they go all in on being an eastern conference and make a push for Liberty, UMass, football-only UConn, Army, etc.  

That said, I think more movement is pretty likely.  Boise and Memphis are likely to go to the Big 12 at some point.  I'd really like to know what SMU brass/donors think about sharing a conference with UNT, UTSA, etc.  Joining the MWC might be viewed as a way to elevate their brand above the other G5 schools in the state.

Sun Belt just said it is not expanding.  Sun Belt is the bottom FBS conference in just about every category but football strength.  CUSA and Sun Belt make similar media money.  Sun Belt has the lowest budgets and least success in non-rev sports and basketball.  They are in the smallest markets and have the least prestigious schools.  There's a lot of talk about the Sun Belt raiding the CUSA, but I think that's a lot of big talk from the conference that is at the bottom of the totem poll, kind of like the AAC talking about raiding the Big 12.

Its no accident that the Big 12 took 3 schools from the AAC and none from any other G5.  Its no accident the AAC is taking 6 CUSA schools and none from any other eastern G5 (they would have loved to have gotten MWC schools).  CUSA is higher on the pole than the Sun Belt.  And CUSA isn't bogged down with basketball schools and UL-Monroe who has a budget that would be mediocre in FCS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bullet said:
Moving quick:
YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

The applications from the six Conference USA schools are trickling into the AAC, according to sources. The application is really a one/two-sentence declaration of interest. The earliest the 6 schools could start in the AAC is 2023-24. An announcement is expected later this week.
Quote Tweet

YTz0-AxN_mini.jpg

Pete Thamel

@PeteThamel
· 4h
The AAC is on the cusp of expansion, per sources. Full @YahooSports story on the impending applications of six new schools from Conference USA, the fallout and financial reverberations. https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aac-close-to-massive-6-school-expansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think SMU needs to bolt. They can’t be thrilled to be in a conference with UNT. Meanwhile their arch rival TCU is wrapping up a decade in the Power 5. 

Does smu ever play in the Cotton Bowl stadium?? 

Current stadium at 32K capacity is embarrassing...

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Does smu ever play in the Cotton Bowl stadium?? 

Current stadium at 32K capacity is embarrassing...

It’s a cool venue, but yeah it feels like a nicer, bigger version of Tully Stadium.

MWC would be a good fit for SMU especially considering their alumni. Road trips to Vegas, San Diego, San Jose, Park City, Fort Collins, and Sun Valley sounds pretty damned nice. Schedule some of the mountain teams in November and turn it into a ski trip. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

58 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s a cool venue, but yeah it feels like a nicer, bigger version of Tully Stadium.

MWC would be a good fit for SMU especially considering their alumni. Road trips to Vegas, San Diego, San Jose, Park City, Fort Collins, and Sun Valley sounds pretty damned nice. Schedule some of the mountain teams in November and turn it into a ski trip. 

So the idea is that SMU, who chaired the AAC expansion committee, is going to leave the AAC to the MWC to get away from UNT (who they hand picked) at the cost of no longer being on ESPN, not having any other games in Texas (outside of TCU annually), for a lower media payout, and a much later viewing window for all of their televised games...

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So the idea is that SMU, who chaired the AAC expansion committee, is going to leave the AAC to the MWC to get away from UNT (who they hand picked) at the cost of no longer being on ESPN, not having any other games in Texas (outside of TCU annually), for a lower media payout, and a much later viewing window for all of their televised games...

BuT RoAd TrIpZ 4 fAns!

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

A&M left for the SEC a decade ago to be special.  They didn't care about the games in-state b/c they deemed the out of state games to be better for their brand.  SMU could leave the AAC to be "special" and in the best branded G5 league.  Boise, SDSU, Air Force, etc., > most of the schools they'd play in the American from a perception standpoint.  If they could go with Tulsa, Wichita St, Gonzaga, and land in a much better basketball conference too?  It's an even easier sales pitch.  

If SMU arranged to help a bunch of Texas schools land in the American and if they then arranged to make sure none of those schools could go with them when they leave the American, it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking betrayal in the CR era.  They'd argue that they helped the American and the schools who got invited.  

The MWC rights deal ends in a few years.  The ESPN exposure/money issues could be non-existent if the MWC ends up with the right inventory.  The inventory will bring the money.  

Then again, maybe SMU would rather play UNT, UTSA, Rice, etc.  It's all in how they see themselves.  I'm interested to see how it plays out over the next few years.  

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

SMU needs a travel partner, probably Tulsa, but the MWC is a much better football conference. The geography sucks, late games suck, but they’d be the only Texas team rountinely playing on the West Coast. 

As camel said, SMU might not care and could be cool in playing in a shitty SWC redux. 

Don't forget they would make less money.  So basically they would give up money, add a bunch of travel for their athletes, play a lot of late games, play games on channels nobody sees, all so they can play UNLV and Utah St. instead of UTSA and North Texas.  Got it.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, bullet said:

Don't forget they would make less money.  So basically they would give up money, add a bunch of travel for their athletes, play a lot of late games, play games on channels nobody sees, all so they can play UNLV and Utah St. instead of UTSA and North Texas.  Got it.

They'd make less money until the MWC CBS TV deal expires. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

10 hours ago, bullet said:

46 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They'd make less money until the MWC CBS TV deal expires. 

5r4wsp.gif

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bullet said:

Sun Belt just said it is not expanding.  Sun Belt is the bottom FBS conference in just about every category but football strength.  CUSA and Sun Belt make similar media money.  Sun Belt has the lowest budgets and least success in non-rev sports and basketball.  They are in the smallest markets and have the least prestigious schools.  There's a lot of talk about the Sun Belt raiding the CUSA, but I think that's a lot of big talk from the conference that is at the bottom of the totem poll, kind of like the AAC talking about raiding the Big 12.

Its no accident that the Big 12 took 3 schools from the AAC and none from any other G5.  Its no accident the AAC is taking 6 CUSA schools and none from any other eastern G5 (they would have loved to have gotten MWC schools).  CUSA is higher on the pole than the Sun Belt.  And CUSA isn't bogged down with basketball schools and UL-Monroe who has a budget that would be mediocre in FCS.

I would buy to much into the not expanding line.  If they don’t and CUSA gets back up then they are in the danger zone staying at 10.  The Sun Belt was the bottom now they are better than CUSA.  CUSA’s mix media deal has not served them well and even if the money is similar the perception is that the ESPN deal is better for exposure.  CUSA is about to be pathetic:

Florida International, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion, Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Texas-El Paso

vs

Texas St, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Arkansas St, Troy, Southern Alabama, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State

CUSA has 3 school worth a damn in Southern Miss, Marshall, and LA Tech the rest don’t move the needle (sorry UTEP).

The rumor is that they are going to grab Southern Miss (that makes perfect sense if you look at a map) and Marshall, however Marshall want to bring in 2 friends (Western Kentucky and Old Dominion) to make travel easier.  At the same time CUSA is trying to gets App State and Coastal to form a (mostly) Eastern league similar to the ACC’s footprint, they want to bring up James Madison from FCS and Liberty plus App/Coastal and the Georgia schools.

20 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Poor UTEP

Yeah without more Texas schools I don’t see CUSA working out for them as they’d be 1 of only 2 team West of the Mississippi River (LA Tech is the other) and the MWC has basically said no thanks 10 times now.  My guess is they will eventually work out an exit deal with CUSA (no exit fees and a share of the other’s exit fees and previously earned NCAA credits) to join the WAC in all sports and go FBS independent like NMSU (or work out a fb only deal with CUSA) until the WAC is ready to move to FBS which is their stated goal.

UTRGV (starting fb), Lamar, SHSU, SFA, Tarleton St, Abilene Christian, UTEP, NMSU, Dixie St, Southern Utah, plus non fb members Utah Valley, Grand Canyon, Cal Baptist. Seattle, and they are reviewing Incarnate Word and McNeese for possible membership too.

What is it about UTEP that MWC hates so gotdamned much? They're carrying plenty of weak programs, UTEP has a market, some on and off success (not any less than some of the shitty programs they have now). I sort of get New Mexico State, they should probably be FCS, but I don't really get their snub of UTEP.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah without more Texas schools I don’t see CUSA working out for them as they’d be 1 of only 2 team West of the Mississippi River (LA Tech is the other) and the MWC has basically said no thanks 10 times now.  My guess is they will eventually work out an exit deal with CUSA (no exit fees and a share of the other’s exit fees and previously earned NCAA credits) to join the WAC in all sports and go FBS independent like NMSU (or work out a fb only deal with CUSA) until the WAC is ready to move to FBS which is their stated goal.

UTRGV (starting fb), Lamar, SHSU, SFA, Tarleton St, Abilene Christian, UTEP, NMSU, Dixie St, Southern Utah, plus non fb members Utah Valley, Grand Canyon, Cal Baptist. Seattle, and they are reviewing Incarnate Word and McNeese for possible membership too.

Oh, for fuck's sake, what are these programs' obsession with playing shitty bowls against middling 6-6 P5 or other G5 teams? FCS needs a huge marketing makeover to make them more interesting to television audiences. They have a real playoff system. They should be able to obtain enough interest to make something close to G5 money while not playing in a division that they have 0.0% chance of ever winning a championship, and 0.1% chance of ever making  playoff.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What is it about UTEP that MWC hates so gotdamned much? They're carrying plenty of weak programs, UTEP has a market, some on and off success (not any less than some of the shitty programs they have now). I sort of get New Mexico State, they should probably be FCS, but I don't really get their snub of UTEP.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/mountain-west-staves-off-aac-boise-state-san-diego-state-air-force-colorado-state?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

...In other words, the Mountain West stuck together and now could pick off some schools from other leagues.

Among the possibilities, sources said, could be gauging interest in some of the AAC members, including SMU, or non-football members such as Gonzaga (West Coast Athletic) or Wichita State (AAC).

“All three have been discussed, along with many others,” a Mountain West source said. “We’re still strategizing whether to add or not. This is an ongoing conversation.”

The only certainty about the Mountain West’s future membership is it will not include UTEP. The Miners, members of Conference USA, have longed to be in the MW for geographic reasons, but the Miners “have no chance” at the MWC, a source said....

No idea but it seems like it’s not going to change unless they lose a lot of members.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Oh, for fuck's sake, what are these programs' obsession with playing shitty bowls against middling 6-6 P5 or other G5 teams? FCS needs a huge marketing makeover to make them more interesting to television audiences. They have a real playoff system. They should be able to obtain enough interest to make something close to G5 money while not playing in a division that they have 0.0% chance of ever winning a championship, and 0.1% chance of ever making  playoff.

It really would make a lot of sense for them to do that. The cost of broadcast quality equipment has gone down dramatically, and with the internet, distribution costs are lower. You'd think there'd be a market for good, actual amateur football, and with fewer commercials, games being three hours or less, instead of the 4 1/2 hour marathons some of them are now. They'd never make P5 money, but they could pocket some cash, and it would be terrific advertising for the individual colleges. 

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Many of those in the MWC blame UTEP for some of the issues regarding the demise of the WAC 16 over their instances on certain scheduling demands and other internal political stuff..

The split of the WAC and MWC screwed over a lot of schools and those that are in the MWC now are repaying UTEP in spades..

I don't dislike UTEP, but I can also not fault some of the MWC schools (like Fresno St) for having a long institutional memory about these things.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Many of those in the MWC blame UTEP for some of the issues regarding the demise of the WAC 16 over their instances on certain scheduling demands and other internal political stuff..

The split of the WAC and MWC screwed over a lot of schools and those that are in the MWC now are repaying UTEP in spades..

I don't dislike UTEP, but I can also not fault some of the MWC schools (like Fresno St) for having a long institutional memory about these things.

Are any of those people still around?  

They should have looked to Army, UConn, and UMass as football only adds. Strengthen the NE part of the league. I know UConn and UMass football as stunk lately, but Temple was shitty for a long time and found some success. Those programs if they tried could at least be passable, or comparable to Rice football, which has been mostly terrible for most of the last several decades.

Edited by 'stache

22 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-predictions-second-chance-expert-picks-for-2021-champion-playoffs-and-more/

Remember when realignment moved at a snail's pace?

Probably not good that people are reacting instead of thinking things through carefully, but...

"The Sun Belt and Conference USA are both exploring expansion possibilities as the American Athletic Conference appears poised to soon become a 14-team league, sources tell CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd.

The Sun Belt is targeting Southern Miss, Marshall and Old Dominion from Conference USA along with FCS James Madison, as first reported by Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel.

Conference USA believes it can add James Madison and FBS independent Liberty inside of the next two weeks if details can be worked out, sources tell Dodd. Should C-USA succeed with those additions, it's believed Marshall and Old Dominion would be apt to stay in a nine-team league with C-USA only losing Southern Miss...."

• Hook 'Em 1

Bob Bowlsby's feelings are still hurt.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/10/20/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-says-current-trust-factor-texas-ou-low/6105454001/

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby speaks in measured tones about Texas' and Oklahoma’s decision to leave for the SEC. Asked if he’s still pissed off, the answer is nuanced but clear. 

“Being, to use your term pissed off about it, I can’t allow myself that,” Bowlsby said. “I have to get over the sense of personal betrayal and do what’s necessary for our eight continuing members. And that’s what we did.”

Personal betrayal. 

That’s what he feels Texas President Jay Hartzell and his OU counterpart Joe Harroz Jr. did when they schemed behind the scenes earlier this year to change conferences. Bowlsby fully expects both the Longhorns and Sooners to remain in the Big 12 until June 30, 2025. But you’ll forgive him for keeping the contract close, just to be certain.

In a wide-ranging exclusive interview with the American-Statesman at Big 12 men’s basketball media day, Bowlsby laid bare his feelings about UT and OU’s move. “We’re going to have to find ways to get along,” he said. “We have to work together, and we will. But I would say trust is at a relative low.”

Spoiler

So why does Bowlsby believe the two schools are leaving?

“Haven’t the vaguest idea,” he said, sitting in the bowels of T-Mobile Center. “To this day, they’ve given us no answers to that question. Either one.” 

Why not?

“You’ll have to ask them that,” Bowlsby said. “I’ve asked repeatedly, and they never made us aware of any concerns in advance. When we’ve asked the question since then, we’ve gotten no response.”

Does Texas and OU know the competition will be much harder in the SEC? It’s widely believed it would be much easier to reach the College Football Playoff in the Big 12 than the SEC, where Alabama reigns supreme and everyone else struggles.

“That’s not my responsibility to explain that to them,” Bowlsby said. “They’ve got 50 years of experience. They ought to be able to figure that out for themselves.”

Texas’ top officials, like Hartzell and UT System Board of Regents chairman Kevin Eltife, still have never gone in depth about why they wanted to leave the Big 12. Their only public comments have been carefully-crafted statements about UT’s long-term future. 

“They’re thinking they’re going to recruit better and they’re going to get more money,” Bowlsby said. “Anybody that thinks Texas’ football problems have been a result of league affiliation are completely delusional.”

Texas fans have long complained about the home schedule. For example, few fans are excited about Kansas coming to Royal-Memorial Stadium on Nov. 13.

“Well, here comes Vanderbilt,” Bowlsby said. “Every league is structured similarly to what ours is. There’s three or four bell cows and there’s the rest.”

Ever since the news broke In July that Texas and OU were leaving, Bowlsby has been on the defensive. He was hurt by UT and OU’s feeling of deception, a close friend of his told the Statesman. 

High-ranking UT sources told the Statesman this summer that the decision was driven in part by TV negotiations. The networks did not want to extend their current TV deals, something Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. 

But the Big 12 asked its members to sign a five-year extension of the grant of television rights, according to UT sources at the time. Bowlsby said flatly on Wednesday “that’s absurd.” 

“We never asked them to extend the TV contracts. There was never an ask for an extension of the grant of rights,” Bowlsby said. “There was never any negotiations with ESPN. There was never a request to extend the contract. It was a routine look-in, and I wasn’t at all surprised or disappointed that they said four years was too early to begin negotiations.”

Hartzell was part of a three-president committee to study the league’s TV contracts. Did his knowledge of the TV situation prompt Texas’ decision?

“Well, we have two presidents that are very new in their chairs,” Bowlsby said, referring to Hartzell and Harroz. “So, you’ll have to ask them what they felt like they knew and what they didn’t know.”

Hartzell appeared before a panel of Texas state senators on Aug. 2 and said the move became clear “into the summer” about leaving the Big 12. Bowlsby told that same panel the Big 12’s television contracts would be cut in half with Texas and OU leaving.

“I want to set the record straight: we have and will continue to honor all agreements,” Hartzell told the panel of state lawmakers. “We have not violated any Big 12 bylaws.”

Bowlsby said Wednesday the Big 12 has not initiated any legal proceedings against Texas and OU.

Having lost the Big 12’s two bell cows, Bowlsby became motivated to keep the league afloat, his friend said. Texas and OU were somewhat banking on the Big 12’s possible implosion, so they could leave immediately without paying any stiff penalty — possibly as much as $80 million each.

The Big 12 recently extended invitations to Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida and BYU. Those schools gladly accepted and will join the league for the 2023 football season. Basketball-wise, the Big 12 becomes a fantastic league. But football drives all financial decisions. Cincinnati is currently No. 2 in the Associated Press Top 25 football poll. 

“They’re good football programs, they’re good basketball programs. They’re good broad-based programs. And they’re really fine universities,” Bowlsby said.

A high-ranking Texas source told the Statesman in September that UT and OU were allowed to vote on whether the Big 12 could expand. “They both abstained,” Bowlsby said.

There’s a growing belief that Texas and OU will find ways to join the SEC in 2023. But asked if he expects to have a 14-team Big 12 in 2023, Bowlsby said, “Yeah. They’ve told us they’re staying until June 30, 2025. I take them at their word until they demonstrate something contrary to that.”

Can you take Texas and OU officials at their word? “Well, between what they’ve told us their intentions are and what our written agreements state, that’s what I rely on,” Bowlsby said.

Bowlsby, who turns 70 in January, thought he was on a glidepath to retirement. Now, he’ll stay on as long as the remaining conference members would like. “I’m not going to leave our members hanging,” he said.

Just don’t expect to see him in Austin anytime soon.

“Probably not.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

They should have looked to Army, UConn, and UMass as football only adds. Strengthen the NE part of the league. I know UConn and UMass football as stunk lately, but Temple was shitty for a long time and found some success. Those programs if they tried could at least be passable, or comparable to Rice football, which has been mostly terrible for most of the last several decades.

Army is not interested in a conference apparently CUSA offered for them to rejoin a few years ago and they declined, and the AAC just tied to bring them in and they still said no.

UConn/UMass as football only teams, plus Liberty/James Madison would be a good way for CUSA to recover.

UTEP, LA Tech, USM, FIU, MTSU, WKU | Marshall, ODU, JMU, Liberty, UConn, UMass

Still sounds like Southern Miss is all but gone and I’m sure no one loves the idea of sending their women’s soccer team to El Paso.

Take away UTEP, LA Tech, USM, and FIU add Buffalo, Temple, App St, East Carolina, Charlotte, and Coastal Carolina and that would be a pretty solid regional conference in the NorthEast.

Not football related, but interesting all the same.  

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32439931/bob-huggins-says-major-conferences-create-own-college-basketball-postseason-event-ditch-ncaa-tournament

As the collegiate landscape changes amid conference realignment and the NCAA's future remains in flux, West Virginia men's basketball coach Bob Huggins said it's time for the major conferences to split from the other schools and create their own postseason tournament, so they can control the sport's most significant financial stream.

"They're doing it in football," Huggins told ESPN at Big 12 media day. "Why wouldn't they do it? The presidents and athletic directors that have all the juice, why wouldn't they do it? Makes no sense why they wouldn't do it. I think it's more 'Why wouldn't they?' than 'Why would they?' And then, the other people, they can have their own tournament."

It's not the first time the idea has been discussed. Those against changing the 68-team NCAA tournament format in favor of the larger schools have often cited the thrill of watching the Cinderellas compete against more prominent programs.

Huggins, however, said that should not deter the top schools from considering the possibility.

"Those Cinderella schools are putting 200 people, at best, in their gym," Huggins said. "We're putting 14,000."

Huggins said controlling the postseason tournament is a way for basketball to remain financially relevant in the future as college football's influence and footprint continue to grow. He said college basketball revenue, on many campuses, goes toward supporting football, while the NCAA makes the bulk of its money off its basketball tournament.

In 2016, the NCAA signed an eight-year, $8.8 billion extension through 2032 with Turner Sports for the rights to the NCAA men's tournament. The bulk of the NCAA's annual revenue is attained through that TV deal. That's a problem, according to TCU coach Jamie Dixon, who is president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches board of directors.

Spoiler

"I always laugh about the NCAA tournament in college basketball and about how it doesn't make sense how the money is dispersed and where it goes," Dixon told ESPN. "And football has become bigger and the decision-maker in this realignment because of the disbursement of money. And I don't know that we've done our best job with marketing and promoting and building on basketball, because really, the NCAA's only goal is to keep that NCAA tournament as their sole moneymaker."

Other coaches within the league, however, said they hope the NCAA tournament format remains the same. Texas coach Chris Beard has coached at the junior college and mid-major levels during his career. He said the diversity within the tournament is what makes it special.

"I'm one of these guys that I don't think anything's wrong with the NCAA tournament," said Beard, who led Arkansas-Little Rock to the second round in 2016. "I thought 64 [teams] was fine. It's just, why are we trying to fix something that ain't broke? It's the best three weeks in sports. And I feel like I can talk about it because I've been on all ends of it."

Huggins, however, said officials should think about the sport's future. He said he worries about college basketball maintaining a seat at the table as the collegiate structure continues to change and football powers gain more control over what happens next.

"We have no power because we don't generate the same kind of TV income that football does," Huggins said. "But we don't try to."

I know is it’s unpopular but he ain’t wrong.  The FBS conferences could break away for the NCAA and bring 5 or so non FBS conferences maybe while conferences like the Big East or a best of the rest conference by region.

The FBS conferences bring in the majority of the money, but get less than half the rest goes to cover non revenue championships and all of DII and DIII.

By breaking away and treating the tournament like the CFP it would triple the payouts to the the FBS schools.

You can go even more extreme and have the P4/5 officially break away and the payout would be through the roof.  People like to talk about Cinderella the next day, but nobody tunes in to watch them until the final minutes, because what they truly like is watching upsets which will still happen.