Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

18 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Just once I'd wish these types of cuts would begin with HR and all the worthless fucks in that department.  These are the guys who go out and pay through the nose for a survey that shows executive pay up by xx % so lets do it one % better.  

On 8/29/2020 at 5:25 PM, BevoSwag said:

Just once I'd wish these types of cuts would begin with HR and all the worthless fucks in that department.  These are the guys who go out and pay through the nose for a survey that shows executive pay up by xx % so lets do it one % better.  

@Hurtlocker: 

Tip of my hat to McDonalds.  I just read today they fired the head of HR recently after the had already fired the Chairman.  

Edited by BevoSwag

• 1 month later...

I made a mock up of XII raiding PAC, (while TCU & WVU go SEC, with help of ESPN) I also think Notre Dame may join ACC all in at some point, with a parter...

bWcIsIe.jpg

In this case Nebraska has a opportunity to win the north & compete for XVI conference title with the winner likely going to CFP/ loser to either Sugar or Rose...
A setup of cross - divisional games could be hosted on the dates of Thanksgiving/ Black Friday & on the Saturday, gives networks plenty of prime tv content:

Wednesday -
Texas Tech v ^Kansas State
 * @2:30pm - XVIN
Utah v Arizona State * @7:00pm XVIN

Thanksgiving -
Oklahoma v Nebraska
 * @2:30pm - ABC
UCLA v Washington * @7:00pm FS1

Black Friday -
Texas v Colorado
 * @2:30pm - CBS
Oklahoma State v Iowa State * @7:00pm ESPN

Saturday -
USC v Oregon
 * @2:30pm - FOX
Arizona v Kansas * @7:00pm CBSSN

^(could be replaced with California in northern XVI alignment)

It allows XII to not only absorb most of best brands in PAC but also allows for a setup similar to old XII days of a strong south division & a good north division...
The league could still keep 1 permanent cross divisional opponent that could be played on Thanksgiving weekend thus preserving old traditional rivalries too...

Kansas State could stay in place of adding California (depending of if Washington/ Oregon & Nebraska rather have games in "Little Apple" or San Francisco)...

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

I made a mock up of XII raiding PAC, (while TCU & WVU go SEC, with help of ESPN) I also think Notre Dame may join ACC all in at some point, with a parter...

bWcIsIe.jpg

In this case Nebraska has a opportunity to win the north & compete for XVI conference title with the winner likely going to CFP/ loser to either Sugar or Rose...
A setup of cross - divisional games could be hosted on the dates of Thanksgiving/ Black Friday & on the Saturday, gives networks plenty of prime tv content:

Wednesday -
Texas Tech v ^Kansas State
 * @2:30pm - XVIN
Utah v Arizona State * @7:00pm XVIN

Thanksgiving -
Oklahoma v Nebraska
 * @2:30pm - ABC
UCLA v Washington * @7:00pm FS1

Black Friday -
Texas v Colorado
 * @2:30pm - CBS
Oklahoma State v Iowa State * @7:00pm ESPN

Saturday -
USC v Oregon
 * @2:30pm - FOX
Arizona v Kansas * @7:00pm CBSSN

^(could be replaced with California in northern XVI alignment)

It allows XII to not only absorb most of best brands in PAC but also allows for a setup similar to old XII days of a strong south division & a good north division...
The league could still keep 1 permanent cross divisional opponent that could be played on Thanksgiving weekend thus preserving old traditional rivalries too...

Kansas State could stay in place of adding California (depending of if Washington/ Oregon & Nebraska rather have games in "Little Apple" or San Francisco)...

We need a better game than Colorado there.  

53 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We need a better game than Colorado there.  

What XVI north team works in your opinion..? I recall there being ties of Coach Royal at Washington before moving to Texas... Whoop up on Utah annually..? 🤔

Edited by kopp0e
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

What team from the north would work in your opinion..? I recall there being ties of Coach Royal at Washington before moving to Texas... Whoop up on Utah annually..?

If my choices are only Pac or big schools it's either Oregon or USC.  I know it won't happen as that's rivalry weekend.  We need another rival in this conference.

It's seems absurd that we continue to prop up the big 12 conference, when the conference hates us.  We need to correct our mistake by going elsewhere, and let the remaining turds die on the vine.  I don't care if it's the PAC, B1G, ACC, or SEC.  Anything but Big 12.  Until that happens I no longer give a shit what happens on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Don't care what happens to the Big 12 but Texas needs to leave it.  It's a huge pile of shit.  The refs suck something fierce, the other teams suck, there's nothing in it for Texas.  They're not going to win it--it's all they can do not to trip over their own feet. Throw in awful refs and we're doomed.  I'd at least rather play in the Big, Pac or ACC.  But f'k the Big 12.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Don't care what happens to the Big 12 but Texas needs to leave it.  It's a huge pile of shit.  The refs suck something fierce, the other teams suck, there's nothing in it for Texas.  They're not going to win it--it's all they can do not to trip over their own feet. Throw in awful refs and we're doomed.  I'd at least rather play in the Big, Pac or ACC.  But f'k the Big 12.  

If you think our refs are bad, you've never seen the Pac 12 refs or the Michigan (excuse me, Big 10) or Alabama (excuse me, SEC) refs.  SEC refs might work for us.  They seem to make an effort to make sure the weaker teams lose.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Focht Up said:

It's seems absurd that we continue to prop up the big 12 conference, when the conference hates us.  We need to correct our mistake by going elsewhere, and let the remaining turds die on the vine.  I don't care if it's the PAC, B1G, ACC, or SEC.  Anything but Big 12.  Until that happens I no longer give a shit what happens on the field.

So you're cool with the PAC, the worst conference, by far, out of the Power 5?   How quaint.  Let's go play in the shittiest conference, against a bunch of teams that none of us care about defeating.

Some of us, on the other hand, enjoy being able to talk shit to relatives/friends/coworkers who went to the other B12 schools.

9 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

If UT was undefeated and going to represent the B12 in the playoffs, you wouldn't be saying this.

UT's problems have nothing to do with our conference, and everything to do with our last few coaching choices.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So you're cool with the PAC, the worst conference, by far, out of the Power 5?   How quaint.  Let's go play in the shittiest conference, against a bunch of teams that none of us care about defeating.

Some of us, on the other hand, enjoy being able to talk shit to relatives/friends/coworkers who went to the other B12 schools.

If UT was undefeated and going to represent the B12 in the playoffs, you wouldn't be saying this.

UT's problems have nothing to do with our conference, and everything to do with our last few coaching choices.

The conference is garbage and we should leave. 

Texas should join the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just when you thought it had all gone away...

Majority of Power Five schools favor breaking away to form own division within NCAA, survey shows

A majority, 61%, of Power Five schools support establishing their own division within the NCAA that could decide its own operating rules, a Knight Commission survey revealed Tuesday. The survey was the deepest and most significant look at a growing question within the NCAA: whether those Power Five schools would consider breaking away from the nation's collegiate amateurism governing body.

The survey also revealed less than half (44%) of all respondents (351 Division I schools) support the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) actually separating from the NCAA.

The survey by the reform-minded commission was conducted in June and July of this year. The commission concluded there was a "wide dissatisfaction with how Division-I college sports are run." After contacting those 351 schools that make up the core of the NCAA, there was "overwhelming support for major reform" of NCAA governance, the commission concluded.

The Power Five encompasses 65 schools, those that make up the five largest and richest conferences in college athletics (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) plus Notre Dame.

"These 65 schools would become a completely new division of the NCAA in all sports except basketball," said Michael Cross, a Knight Commission consultant who summarized the question.

The new division would allow the Power Five to establish its own minimums for number of sports (currently at 16 per school) and scholarship (85 in football, 13 in men's basketball) along with separate amateurism rules.

In essence, the Power Five would be on its own playing under an NCAA umbrella and collecting NCAA Tournament revenue. Those conferences received increased rules-making autonomy through NCAA legislation five years ago.

"There is little satisfaction with [NCAA] governance, and the finances of college athletics are broken," Cross said during the presentation to media.

The last time the NCAA separated into divisions in football was 1978 when Division I became Division I-A (now FBS) and Division I-AA (now FCS). The reason then would be the same reason now: The largest schools want more financial and governance autonomy because they generate the most revenue.

Leaders in those power conferences have become increasingly distressed by the NCAA's role in college athletics, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Specifically, the feeling is that the NCAA largely sat on the sidelines while the conferences themselves modeled drug-testing protocols and return-to-play guidelines. The survey revealed only one-third of the 351 Division I schools are satisfied with NCAA governance.

There has also been outcry against the NCAA's slow reaction to name, image and likeness rights. The association seemed to have NIL legislation forced upon it by state NIL bills being sponsored around the country. Formal legislation allowing athletes to profit from such things as commercials, autographs and social media is expected to be passed in January.

"I don't think it's imminent, but I think [it will happen] at some point," one Power Five athletic director said regarding those conferences breaking away from the NCAA.

The 61% figure extrapolated would represent 40 Power Five schools positive toward the idea of a breakaway with 15% against the idea of a new NCAA division for their conferences. Significantly less than half of the schools in the Group of Five, FCS and non-football playing Division I supported the concept.

The Knight Commission did not reveal which schools voted on the specific question that asked about creation "of a new NCAA division in all sports for the Autonomous 5 Conferences."

The Group of Five is made up of the American, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt. The survey found a growing divide between schools in those conferences and the Power Five.

There were a total of 362 respondents. Only 20% of Division I presidents responded to the survey (69) compared to 30% of ADs (106) and two-thirds of the 32 DI commissioners (21).

giphy.gif

Let's all go full aggy.  Let's leave this conference because it sucks....   Not that we suck suck so let's go suck even more somewhere else.   It sucks so bad? Why? Because the purple wizard made us his bitch?  Because the horned frogs have a really good reason to be horny when we are up next.   Okie lite? Baylor? Tech?  Iowas St. Is a threat every time we play. We need better p5 OOCS!!!  Why? Because losing to EVERYONE ELSE'S favorite p5 ooc isn't enough?  Kansas didn't even realize it was okay for a BB school to beat a P5 FB school during football season because it had been that long.   Getting owned by another "Kansas" *cough* Maryland isn't enough?   I hate to really say it, but we are a big part of the suck in the Big 12 over the last decade.

Don't even get me started on OU... The worse OU team in recent history  and we can't put them down?  They play in this same shitty conference but yet they seemed to have made the playoffs with no problem even with a loss.

The BiG12 sucks so bad.  It took some major ESPN lobbying to get Alabama in over Okie lite during the latter BCS years...  it took a TCU fuckup late in the season for tOSU to squeak by them into the playoffs one year.   

The B12 sucks is a matter of perception that obviously isn't shared nationally. Out of the P5 conferences the B12 isn't one that has suffered from being left out of the playoffs in favor of others with the same record.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I would like to see the breakdown of the survey.  360 respondents but only 20% Presidents, 30% ADs and 21 commissioners makes the 61% of the P5 favor breaking away seem a little suspect.  Is the 61% based only on the 65 p5 schools commissioners, presidents, and ADs?  If so, is it based on the 20%, 30%, 66% average?   

To me 100% p5 commissioners would vote yes.  90% of P5 ADs would vote yes. 75% of Presidents (probably much higher seeing most mutlischool collaborations extend way outside conference members anymore) would vote yes.

10 hours ago, Gaffords said:

I would like to see the breakdown of the survey.  360 respondents but only 20% Presidents, 30% ADs and 21 commissioners makes the 61% of the P5 favor breaking away seem a little suspect.  Is the 61% based only on the 65 p5 schools commissioners, presidents, and ADs?  If so, is it based on the 20%, 30%, 66% average?   

To me 100% p5 commissioners would vote yes.  90% of P5 ADs would vote yes. 75% of Presidents (probably much higher seeing most mutlischool collaborations extend way outside conference members anymore) would vote yes.

Agreed, but I wonder if the fact that there are non P5 AAU institutions would be consequential to any Presidents( I presume probably not...)?  But you're right, in my limited knowledge of collaboration happening at ISU when I was there it was with KSU, Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin...so regional rather than conference affiliated.

1. breaking away is a major mistake....the world needs ditch diggers and the P5 needs the CUSA to get wins

unless you want to college football and "your team" (from the perspective if what should be a top program) to become the NFL lite where you hope to be 2 games over .500 to make it into some playoffs and go from there this will be a horrible disaster

or worse yet it will turn into 5 or 6 powerhouse programs 5 or 6 hanging around and a lot of others where their fans settle for shit and a lot of those fan bases are not ready to settle for shit and a lot of them will demand stupid ass shit like $7.5 million for a coach guaranteed with no winning expectations in that contract (or $6.75 million for a guy getting thumped by coaches making half of that)

2. this will just make mush brained athlete-students all the more demanding for more and bigger expensive shit and then to "get paid" while they go out there and go through the motions to an 8-5 season and a first round loss in the "playoffs"....and all of the other stupid shit that comes with that 

3. as for the Big 12.....Texas sucks because Texas is sucking.....sucking at coaching hires and coaching after being hired.....sucking at evaluating recruits that are not soft as fuck and entitled......sucking at retaining the talent that does show up and play hard....and sucking with helping that talent move on

going to a different conference is not going to help any of that especially not the PAC 12 or the Big 10 and the PAC 12 refs are shittier than the Big 12 and their conference commissioner is the biggest shit head in the business

4. The Big 10 and PAC 12 are going to shit on Texas as much as they can anytime they can....and NU...and I am not sure who to ask in the PAC 12 they all get shitted on by a conference commissioner that thinks the conference is about him and his stupid ideas

5. aggy moved to the SEC SEC SEC to "get their name out there" which is pathetic for one of the largest universities in the USA that is an AAU member and that is consistently ranked high in a number of fields of study.....all the worse when they are massively over crowded......add to that overcrowding with gaming the system community college transfer schemes.....and oh yea they think that they are going to retain more top Texas students by crowding the shit out of the place while they already have a massive % of admitted applicants and a massive overall number of admitted applicants that CHOOSE to go elsewhere.....not to mention that when you have the enrollment they have and your goal it to continue to grow with more IN STATE STUDENTS.....why in the fuck do you give a shit about how well known you are.....much less when you are now just known as a place that made academic decisions based on football.....and you still do pretty shitty at football

who in the fuck wants to follow that path to the SEC SEC SEC.....FUCK OFF with that bullshit

and yea Texas will be treated better by the refs in the SEC SEC SEC......get the fuck out of here

all the worse when aggy made that move to "get their name out there" and then rolled into the SEC SEC SEC and acted like they were there to save the SEC SEC SEC.....which in a way they are they saved some of the SEC SEC SEC schools from beating the lesser schools as often and they can now beat aggy instead.....and they saved whatever school that used to be the laughing stock from continuing to be that.....aggy in the building now look at our empty trophy hanger!!!!

6. the ACC.....get the fuck out of here

7. the only way things improve for Texas is stop hiring the shitty coach of the week,  recruit nationally, stop recruiting soft ass entitled pussies especially from the same Texas high schools that have burned you time and again......and most of all convince the Big 12 to play fewer fucking conference games and to play more OOC games (like 7 conference 5 OOC) while splitting into divisions with a single fixed cross over game

anything else is just Texas being shitty in another conference and then crying about it like Nebraska or worse beating off to the fact that you play in a conference where some other team kicked the shit out of you and made the NC or won the NC (like aggy).....or just being shitty in another dying conference with more mouths so feed

• Hook 'Em 4

Well, my thoughts as a Sooner fan, is that I appreciate Oklahoma in the same league with many ol' rivals & THE biggest arch-rival in Texas..!

Larry Scott, Pac-12 are lost - Arizona Desert Swarm

www.azdesertswarm.com › football › larry-scott-pac-12...
Sep 22, 2020 — In the last few days we’ve seen a report from the Athletic’s Bruce Feldmanthat had Pac-12 coaches (anonymously) taking shots at the conference’s lack of preparation.

Though, the idea that Stanford may not want any part of a fall season and schools like Utah and USC are considering moving forward without the Pac-12 won’t do much to bolster the plan’s chances.

The one thing it could not be seen as is unwarranted, and now rumors are circulating that Scott himself expects to be out of a job in the near future...

XVI (North) -
Washington
Oregon
California
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa State

XVI (South) -
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
Arizona
Arizona State
USC
UCLA

1 annual cross-divisional game as Oklahoma v Nebraska & Texas v California, from the opposite division on Turkey-day weekend +7 division foes...
Then rotate an additional 2 games each season from the other 7 northern foes (1 north foe is annual), that's 10 league games to sell to networks...

Pac-12 football lose ASU, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA to Big 12...

www.azcentral.com › sports › college › asu › 2020/03/05
Mar 5, 2020 - Could the Big 12 poach Arizona State, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, ... Staples' comments come at a time when the Pac-12 could be reaching a crossroads. ... about whether Oregon should consider leaving the Pac-12.

https://twitter.com/e0ppok/status/1315755936351485952/photo/1

Pac-12 Network Planning to Air No Live Football this Season ...

www.outkick.com › Media News
1 day ago — John Canzano of The Oregonian was the first to report that the Pac-12 Network will likely air no games this season, penning an extensive story that paints the network as a “hollow shell of an operation” with an uncertain future.

The Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, who paid himself and his executives lavish bonuses right before laying off or furloughing approximately half of the conference’s staff, now has a vulnerable future. ...

It looks as if USC playing at 9am on the west coast is just fine, & Trojans could do the same in XVI/ get paid far more + keep old rivals too...

Canzano: Questions arise in wake of Pac-12 Conference ...

www.oregonlive.com › sports › john_canzano › 2020/09
20 hours ago - I immediately had an adverse reaction to the suggestion. Dumb idea. Except when I floated it to the ADs and coaches, none of them balked. They all wanted more time to think about what a 9 a.m. kickoff might look like. One coach estimated the pregame meal would be scheduled for 5 a.m. He wasn’t necessarily against it. He just wanted more time to plot.
I thought the football announcement on Thursday was very much aimed at preserving the spring football schedule for 2021. This is a conference that needs to re-establish itself in the wake of 2020, find new leadership, renegotiate media rights, and get some traction by helping a program or two (Oregon? Washington? USC? ASU? Utah? Someone else?) emerge as a perennial power.

Pac-12, Larry Scott were bluffing with conference-owned network...

trojanswire.usatoday.com › 2020/10/11 › amp
1 day ago —More recent developments and revelations have made it impossible to defend the track record and overall performance of a commissioner who wears no clothes.

The emperor no longer has a tenable position — on the Pac-12 Network or any other core issue in the conference ...

XII, as some have suggested, should look into revamp league, grow to XVI before 2025, as PAC brands can be had & 'Huskers want back in..?

Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end of Nebraska in the Big Ten...

omaha.com › sports › college › huskers › teams › football
Aug 11, 2020 - It's important to remember that 10 years ago, Nebraska was running away from the Big 12 — not running to the Big Ten. It's a move that provided ...

The State of Nebraska Just Declared War on the Big Ten ...

www.outkick.com › Politics
Sep 11, 2020 - Eight Nebraska football players sued the conference, which compelled the Big Ten to ... The Big Ten has a mountain of issues on its hands.

Attendance is based on the average per game over the last five seasons, followed up by % capacity, followed by last year’s ranking.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019...ram-analysis/2

8 Texas 94754.60 94.39% 8
10 Nebraska 90055.80 103.40% 10
13 Oklahoma 86126.20 103.16% 13
20 USC 69044.20 87.99% 19
22 Washington 65781.20 93.79% 24
24 UCLA 63635.00 69.82% 21
29 Texas Tech 56924.60 94.16% 30
34 Oregon 56275.40 104.21% 31
36 Oklahoma State 55240.20 97.27% 33
37 Iowa State 55042.80 89.50% 37
39 Arizona State 51504.40 80.16% 35
42 Arizona 47691.80 88.90% 43
44 Utah 46344.20 101.17% 48

46 Minnesota 45261.40 89.09% 46 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 16 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...
^49 California 44505.40 71.25% 42

50 Rutgers 44141.40 84.15% 45 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 19 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...
^51 Colorado 43328.20 86.34% 57

#52 Indiana 42783.20 80.83% 53 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 20 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...
#54 Purdue 41246.40 72.06% 59 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 20 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...
#55 Maryland 40834.80 78.83% 56 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 20 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...
#56 Illinois 40823.00 67.29% 54 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 20 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...

#59 Northwestern 37300.60 79.15% 60 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Sits behind a total of 20 current Big 12 & Pac 12 schools...

#80 Kansas 26650.40 53.04% 68 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Kansas, some place Oklahoma in B1G with, dead last (in XII)..?

Adding to that fact, the tv numbers for half of B1G is lackluster, (when not hosting tOSU/ UM/ PSU ect), & stadium attendance is lagging as well...
Nebraska could actually do better regaining old foes, sparking up the rivalry with Texas every 2 years, while Horns have both OU & USC annually...

Nebraska is not coming back to the Big 12.  Nebraska was pissed because the Big 10 looked like they were going to screw them out of a football season, but that was handled.

As many have already said here, running to a different conference doesn't make your team any better.  Frost will have to find a way to beat Iowa and Wisconsin.  If he can't do that, he isn't going to be able to beat any of the better Big 12 teams, either.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, Cornfusion said:

Nebraska is not coming back to the Big 12.  Nebraska was pissed because the Big 10 looked like they were going to screw them out of a football season, but that was handled.

As many have already said here, running to a different conference doesn't make your team any better.  Frost will have to find a way to beat Iowa and Wisconsin.  If he can't do that, he isn't going to be able to beat any of the better Big 12 teams, either.

It seems we have read plenty of pieces on Nebraska looking to potentially return...

"Cultural identity" (& lost rivalries) have been sited many times in those cases too...

Swiping a few schools as Colorado/ USC/ UCLA/ Oregon & Washington bumps $...

3 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

You might want to check out a few of the threads on Huskerboard.  They have one going on there about taking Texas and OU into the Big Ten.  It doesn't sound like many would be in favor.

New story: Emails from Nebraska leaders Ronnie Green and Ted Carter to Big Ten commish Kevin Warren before the league’s decision to cancel fall football show a school adamant in its desire to play. 7:30 PM · Sep 4, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

I've read threads on Husker247 (& tweets) wanting out of B1G for return to power, besides if Nebraska was so "happy" why the need for OU/ UT..?

One thing for sure if Bob Bowlsby was interested he could add in our opinion.... USC UCLA Arizona Arizona State Utah Colorado ...to @Big12Conference tomorrow and could easily launch Big 12 Network with @espn as partner generate $$$ above schools looking for! #MakeTheCallsBob 10:47 PM · Sep 5, 2020·Twitter Web App
Rick Neuheisel and Chris Childers were talking to Wilner and Rick made a pretty strong case that if the Big 12 came after USC they might be inclined to leave. The PAC 12 is on life support. We made a huge mistake, let’s just go ahead and admit it.

It makes much more sense (in the long term) for Nebraska to return/ gain Oklahoma & Texas, add Colorado +USC/ UCLA/ Oregon/ Washington...

Edited by kopp0e

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 1:19 PM, Randolph Duke said:

The Knight Commission came out with a report on NCAA distributions (basketball, etc).

Here is the breakdown. The report can be accessed here: https://www.knightcommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/kcia-cla-report-revenue-distribution-impact-fbs-football-factors-093020-01.pdf

ncaa 2018 distributions.jpeg

576 million and only 217 million based on the tournament (1st 2 columns)

On 10/4/2020 at 1:52 AM, Mdhorn said:

Texas fans shitting on the Big 12 because the teams in the conference suck, while Texas is slightly better than .500 in the past decade, is rich.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bullet said:

In the SWC retrospective, Dodds is saying the Big 12 still thinks it needs to get bigger.

You can see the negative in a lot of ways when the Big 10 and SEC have 14 and the ACC 15.  The Big 12 simply doesn't have as much clout or recognition.

That has more to do with Texas's decade of mediocrity than anything.

The Big 10 is an absolute steaming shit pile after Ohio State.  They have large schools with lots of alums in big cities, but those programs aren't any better than the Big 12 ones.  The SEC?  Yeah, they have more high end schools than any other league.  The ACC is Clemson and everyone else (I don't count Notre Dame when it's a one year deal).  The Pac 12?  Ok.

There's one conference that's actually better than the Big 12 on a regular basis.  There are only 2 that make more money.  The "Big 12 sucks" sentiment has been mostly self fulfilling prophecy, but it's been going on for decades and people just can't be objective about any of it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Big 10 is an absolute steaming shit pile after Ohio State.  They have large schools with lots of alums in big cities, but those programs aren't any better than the Big 12 ones.  The SEC?  Yeah, they have more high end schools than any other league.  The ACC is Clemson and everyone else (I don't count Notre Dame when it's a one year deal).  The Pac 12?  Ok.

There's one conference that's actually better than the Big 12 on a regular basis.  There are only 2 that make more money.  The "Big 12 sucks" sentiment has been mostly self fulfilling prophecy, but it's been going on for decades and people just can't be objective about any of it.

People magically think that if we change conferences, our coaching will improve or something, have succumbed to the aggy or Nebraska mindset that their problems are always because of what somebody else is doing, and not because they are making piss-poor decisions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

People magically think that if we change conferences, our coaching will improve or something, have succumbed to the aggy or Nebraska mindset that their problems are always because of what somebody else is doing, and not because they are making piss-poor decisions.

I just think it's really interesting that Michigan doesn't blame the Big 10.  USC doesn't blame the Pac 12.  Florida State doesn't blame the ACC.  Tennessee doesn't blame the SEC.

But OU and Texas sure love to blame the Big 12 when things don't work (and it's been working pretty fucking well for OU).  Just like the schools who left did.  It is a unique mindset that took root in between the Mississippi and the Rockies and nowhere else.  There's this irrational "I'm better than the rest of you" mindset that was present in the 4 schools who left, and shows itself some in the Texas and OU fanbase.  It's fucking odd, and specific to this league.

I just think it's really interesting that Michigan doesn't blame the Big 10.  USC doesn't blame the Pac 12.  Florida State doesn't blame the ACC.  Tennessee doesn't blame the SEC.
But OU and Texas sure love to blame the Big 12 when things don't work (and it's been working pretty fucking well for OU).  Just like the schools who left did.  It is a unique mindset that took root in between the Mississippi and the Rockies and nowhere else.  There's this irrational "I'm better than the rest of you" mindset that was present in the 4 schools who left, and shows itself some in the Texas and OU fanbase.  It's fucking odd, and specific to this league.

To be fair, I don’t think Colorado deserves to get lumped in with the other three. Seems to me they were watching the dysfunction play out, not even knowing if there would be a Big 12 to stay in, with a PAC invite in hand. The PAC better aligns them with their recruiting base, alumni, and peer institutions. They probably didn’t feel like they had a choice.
  • Hook 'Em 3

To be fair, I don’t think Colorado deserves to get lumped in with the other three. Seems to me they were watching the dysfunction play out, not even knowing if there would be a Big 12 to stay in, with a PAC invite in hand. The PAC better aligns them with their recruiting base, alumni, and peer institutions. They probably didn’t feel like they had a choice.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I don't disagree, but there was a heavy air of "we're just better than these Great Plains trash red state cow colleges" in the way they went about things.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't disagree, but there was a heavy air of "we're just better than these Great Plains trash red state cow colleges" in the way they went about things.

Sure, but that mindset was there among Colorado fans and boosters well before the B12 was formed.  They'd been California-dreaming for years.  So when the opportunity presented itself, they took it.

Anyway, I DGAF about Colorado or Missouri.  After we got our revenge on Colorado in the 2005 B12 CCG, I no longer had any use for them.  And I honestly never even thought about Mizzou, at all.  They were a non-entity.  Cue the Don Draper "I don't think about you at all" GIF.

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Sure, but that mindset was there among Colorado fans and boosters well before the B12 was formed.  They'd been California-dreaming for years.  So when the opportunity presented itself, they took it.

Anyway, I DGAF about Colorado or Missouri.  After we got our revenge on Colorado in the 2005 B12 CCG, I no longer had any use for them.  And I honestly never even thought about Mizzou, at all.  They were a non-entity.  Cue the Don Draper "I don't think about you at all" GIF.

I'm aware.  That's kind of my point about it being unique to this league.  Mizzou felt that way for years too, for some reason.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm aware.  That's kind of my point about it being unique to this league.  Mizzou felt that way for years too, for some reason.

Cool.  I was just pointing out that Colorado's discontent, or arrogance, or whatever, wasn't a product of the B12 itself.

I didn't know that about Mizzou, but like I said, I really never paid them any attention at all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Cool.  I was just pointing out that Colorado's discontent, or arrogance, or whatever, wasn't a product of the B12 itself.

I didn't know that about Mizzou, but like I said, I really never paid them any attention at all.  

Yeah, I'm not arguing that it's a product of the Big 12.  It's unique to the Big 12, and I honestly don't understand where it comes from or what it's a product of.

Michigan and Ohio State could easily choose the attitude towards the rest of their conference that UT and OU have towards their conference.  There isn't much of a difference downstream.  But they don't take the posture.  Nebraska and Missouri both had this attitude, and went on to take major back seats in their new leagues.  Aggy is the one I don't think really felt as much of it.  They just hated you guys so much that they were willing to do literally anything out of spite.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I'm not arguing that it's a product of the Big 12.  It's unique to the Big 12, and I honestly don't understand where it comes from or what it's a product of.

Michigan and Ohio State could easily choose the attitude towards the rest of their conference that UT and OU have towards their conference.  There isn't much of a difference downstream.  But they don't take the posture.  Nebraska and Missouri both had this attitude, and went on to take major back seats in their new leagues.  Aggy is the one I don't think really felt as much of it.  They just hated you guys so much that they were willing to do literally anything out of spite.

There's certainly a segment of our fan base that's like that, but we're not monolothic.  From this thread, and the "Demise of the SWC" thread, you can see there are also some Texas fans that really liked the SWC and lament its passing.  The problems they have with the B12 are more related to simply the change and the passing of the old guard.  I've seen you yourself mention you'd prefer to go back to the alignments from the 80s, and I feel the same way.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There's certainly a segment of our fan base that's like that, but we're not monolothic.  From this thread, and the "Demise of the SWC" thread, you can see there are also some Texas fans that really liked the SWC and lament its passing.  The problems they have with the B12 are more related to simply the change and the passing of the old guard.  I've seen you yourself mention you'd prefer to go back to the alignments from the 80s, and I feel the same way.

I have no desire to see us in a different existing conference though.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Doesn't have anything to do with how good the teams are.  There are 40-50% more voices, more sportswriters, more votes in NCAA matters.