Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

Checking in on TexAgs:

A&M, Mizzou, Arky, and LSU are likely hard NO so that decision is already DOA!

My understanding is that we also have an agreement with S Carolina they will vote no for Texas for us and we will vote no for Clemson if ever they wanted in the SEC. Not to mention, Jimbo is not worried about playing the lowly whorns. Check his record against Florida while he was at Florida St. He is now 8-1 against the "Florida flagship"..
We have passed the sip flakes and ou and they know it. This is their only desperate move to keep up

Jesus Christ if this isn’t the biggest pussy shit I’ve ever seen. 

Hilarious how Aggies were claiming that Texas was dodging the rivalry and now their dork of an AD is literally crying on camera about us joining them.
I'm sure Bjork wishes he had time to gather his thoughts before answering the way he did. Best part of this is it was an aggy shill who broke the story during SEC media days..lmfao

3 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Checking in on TexAgs:

A&M, Mizzou, Arky, and LSU are likely hard NO so that decision is already DOA!

My understanding is that we also have an agreement with S Carolina they will vote no for Texas for us and we will vote no for Clemson if ever they wanted in the SEC. Not to mention, Jimbo is not worried about playing the lowly whorns. Check his record against Florida while he was at Florida St. He is now 8-1 against the "Florida flagship"..

3743FD48-7C9C-4E46-B899-0ACACD35A03D.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

So if this goes down who do we keep on the schedule from the B12?  Tech, Baylor and Kansas?  TCU becomes the new UH? 

I think we'd have 7 SECW games on the schedule and 2 SECE? Or does the SEC only play 8 conference games right now?

If it's 9 then there isn't much room for anyone else. I wouldn't give a shit about preserving any of those games - aggy pig and OU are all better rivals. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wonder if the B12 would try and hang on following a Texas/OU departure. It would immediately be either a P4 or P6 type situation - guessing everyone would have to try and find a new home. 

Sorry if someone laid all that out already - it's a big question.

That's what I said upthread and it makes the most sense.  The rest of the Big 12 + a few AAC schools is still arguably a top 2 basketball conference nationally.  With the expanded playoff, one or more of those "other 8" are going to start winning more games than they ever have and they'll be making the expanded CFP semi-regularly, too.  

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think we'd have 7 SECW games on the schedule and 2 SECE? Or does the SEC only play 8 conference games right now?

If it's 9 then there isn't much room for anyone else. I wouldn't give a shit about preserving any of those games - aggy pig and OU are all better rivals. 

Yeah I would not be sad to never play tech, the Kansas schools, or Baylor again in football. Maybe we schedule ok state or isu 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It's 8 conference games now but surely they'd go to 9. If they expanded to 16 but kept 8 conference games, you'd get each team from the other division in Austin once in 16 years. 

2 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

The rest of the Big 12 + a few AAC schools is still arguably a top 2 basketball conference nationally.

Sure - but I don't see anyone from the American rushing to join a neutered B12. I'd think it would be more likely for the American to pick up a couple of the B12 schools. 

Just now, Sir Ulrich said:

Bama,  UGA, Tennessee,  and Auburn would all need new locked partners. With a 12 team playoff there's not worry about a yearly match up involving those 4. Who would you like for Texas to partner up with instead?

Why would we need to "partner" with anyone? Why wouldn't we rotate 2/8 for a home and away? 

Like someone else said - you want to see East teams in Austin once every 16 years? That doesn't make any sense. Bama and Auburn to the East preserves most of the rivalries. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ousux said:
23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
OU is too stupid for the B10.  B10 at least acts like academics matter.  

Speaking of, would bringing blowU along cancel out any academic bump we could provide?

Yes - it's why the SEC is allowing UT in.  Otherwise you'd certainly bump up the avg IQ way over the top...

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if the B12 would try and hang on following a Texas/OU departure. It would immediately be either a P4 or P6 type situation - guessing everyone would have to try and find a new home. 
Sorry if someone laid all that out already - it's a big question.

The only viable option for the conference to survive would be to merge the upper tier athletic programs of the American - Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, SMU. That’s a conference that can sell itself as a legitimately elite basketball league. The football isn’t any worse than what the PAC 12 or the ACC sans Clemson has put out the past couple years, but does lack a marquee program.

I think it’s more likely the leftovers are picked apart and it’s musical chairs for the last few P4 spots.
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

screw east/west.  have 2 or 3 games that you play every year on the schedule and then the rest of it is either random draw or based on where you finished in conference the previous year.  could do something like if you've played Y team 2 of the last 3 years they're off for the next year.  that way you get to see other teams in the schedule more than once every 10 years. 

So if this goes down who do we keep on the schedule from the B12?  Tech, Baylor and Kansas?  TCU becomes the new UH? 

Yeah I would not be sad to never play tech, the Kansas schools, or Baylor again in football. Maybe we schedule ok state or isu 

I bet we’d keep Tech and Baylor on the schedule regularly unless they refused out of spite. If it did happen, we have out of conference games to fill with Georgia and Florida so maybe they get scheduled in there.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I bet we’d keep Tech and Baylor on the schedule regularly unless they refused out of spite. If it did happen, we have out of conference games to fill with Georgia and Florida so maybe they get scheduled in there.

A lot depends on how the conference games play out. If it's a 9 game conference schedule, that's only 3 games in the OOC. Texas will want those guaranteed home games. We may still do the marquee home and homes but suddenly 3 of those are now possible conference mates in Bama, LSU, and Florida. We'll keep a Texas smaller school like UTEP or UTSA, a Rice, and then our marquee. If it's 8 conference games, I can see a Baylor or Tech being kept. 

NIL and expanded playoffs have crystalized the mission.  Academics no longer (never did and never should have) matter(ed).  If Texas joins the SEC, it immediately becomes one of two kingpins in that conference from a brand and monetary perspective.  Winning on the field should have never been as hard as it has been, and playing in the SEC will clear that fog, pronto.

This is really the best, and frankly, the only solution.  Fuck A&M, fuck SEC realignment, fuck it all.  Texas & OU join, start calling shots, and that's that.  I'm not saying either school has more power than 'bammer or LSU or UGA or even UF, but they don't have less.  Over time that conference could virtually dictate every policy worth a damn and the NCAA couldn't do shit.  Notre Dame becomes the one remaining wild card.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

NIL and expanded playoffs have crystalized the mission.  Academics no longer (never did and never should have) matter(ed).  If Texas joins the SEC, it immediately becomes one of two kingpins in that conference from a brand and monetary perspective.  Winning on the field should have never been as hard as it has been, and playing in the SEC will clear that fog, pronto.

This is really the best, and frankly, the only solution.  Fuck A&M, fuck SEC realignment, fuck it all.  Texas & OU join, start calling shots, and that's that.  I'm not saying either school has more power than 'bammer or LSU or UGA or even UF, but they don't have less.  Over time that conference could virtually dictate every policy worth a damn and the NCAA couldn't do shit.  Notre Dame becomes the one remaining wild card.

Outside of Texas the B12 isn't really any better academically than the SEC. 

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

screw east/west.  have 2 or 3 games that you play every year on the schedule and then the rest of it is either random draw or based on where you finished in conference the previous year.  could do something like if you've played Y team 2 of the last 3 years they're off for the next year.  that way you get to see other teams in the schedule more than once every 10 years. 

They might do it that way, too. Have "pods" of 4 - so we'd play OU, Arky, aggy every year. Then play the remaining 12 teams on a rotating home and home. 

I actually love that idea. You'd get every team in Austin once every 4 years. Arky and aggy every other year.