Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Of course aggy thinks this will never happen. They think they have the votes to stop it. Their big argument is that Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri and South Carolina would vote with them because they are trying to protect their home turf as well. What those dumbasses don’t understand is the opposite will happen. OU and Texas joining the SEC will actually take away the threat to those schools. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Nothing that hasn’t really been posted before but interesting nonetheless…

“As for Texas, sources tell Dawg Sports that the university has been considering a move to the SEC at least since late last year. That individual confirmed that a potential move to the SEC was discussed among UT donors and administrators during the coaching search that resulted in the hire of new head football coach Steve Sarkisian.“

https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2021/7/21/22587585/texas-oklahoma-sec-longhorn-network-contract?utm_campaign=dawgsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Is this another reason why Urban said no and slimed off to the NFL?

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure I buy that. Baylor is a better school and has had the better football program post Leach. Unless you're assuming the rape stuff plays a big factor.

With a California-based and -rooted conference? Yeah—I think it’ll be an issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

we should know something on this pretty quick

https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/handbook/bylaws.pdf

the Big 12 bylaws

some important parts here

SECTION 3WITHDRAWAL AND SANCTIONS

Each Member acknowledges and agrees that the Withdrawal of a Member and the payment of the Buyout Amount and implementation of the provisions of these Bylaws does not abrogate the obligations of such Withdrawing Member (as defined below) pursuant to that certain Amended and Restated Grant of Rights Agreement dated effective as of July 1, 2012, or any replacement or extension thereof or other agreement pursuant to which such Member grants the right to telecast some or all of its sporting events to the Conference (a “Grant of Rights Agreement”). The Grant of Rights Agreement which will remain in full force and effect as to such Withdrawing Member and the Withdrawing Member shall continue to be fully bound under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal for the remainder of the term of any Grant of Rights Agreement as if it remained a Member of the Conference, but the Withdrawing Member shall not be entitled to payment of any amounts or any other benefits arising under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal

(C) if a third party offers to, or attempts to induce a Member to, leave the Conference and/or breach or not to fully perform its future obligations under the Grant of Rights Agreement and the Member does not both (1) inform the Conference of such action as promptly as possible (but in any event not later than twelve (12) hours after such action) and (2) immediately and unconditionally reject that offer in a form and manner reasonably acceptable to the Commissioner; or (D) if a Member otherwise takes or fails to take actions that are determined by a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors to be contrary to the best interests of the Conference taken as a whole.

Buyout Amount. Any Withdrawing Member shall pay to the Conference a commitment buyout fee (the “Buyout Amount”) in an amount equal to the sum of the amount of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the Member during the final two years of its membership in the Conference. The Withdrawing Member shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the Withdrawing Member during the Interim Period (the “Distribution Withholding”) and the Conference shall not pay the Distribution Withholding to the Withdrawing Member. A Withdrawing Member agrees to pay to the Conference the amount by which the Buyout Amount exceeds the Distribution Withholding, with such payment to be made not later than the Effective Date. In addition, if (A) by legal action or otherwise, a Withdrawing Member, or any other person or entity, attempts to challenge or oppose or interfere with, or challenges or opposes or interferes with, (i) the payment of the Buyout Amount by the Withdrawing Member or the withholding of the Distribution Withholding by the Conference, (ii) the enforcement by the Conference of its rights under the Grant of Rights Agreement or the performance by the Withdrawing Member of its obligations under the Grant of Rights Agreement, or (iii) the right of the Conference’s telecast partners to televise games of the Withdrawing Member under the terms of the Grant of Rights Agreement during its then-remaining term; or (B) for any other reason the Conference’s telecast partners are unable to produce and telecast games of the Withdrawing Member during the then-remaining term of the Grant of Rights Agreement or the Conference is unable to realize the revenues relating to those games from its telecast partners, then the Members agree that such actions, in breach of the Withdrawing Member’s agreements in these Bylaws, cause additional damage to the Conference and therefore that the Buyout Amount shall be increased by, and shall also include, and the Withdrawing Member shall be obligated to pay to the Conference immediately upon the occurrence of any of the foregoing events, the amount of all actual loss, damage, costs, or expenses whatsoever (including but not limited to lost revenues, damage to reputation and public image, and damage to relationships with related parties) incurred by the Conference or any of its remaining Members directly or indirectly related to that challenge or opposition, whether economic or otherwise.Each of the Members agrees that Withdrawal of a Member contrary to its commitment to the Conference and the other Members pursuant to Section 3.1 above would cause damage and financial hardship to the Conference and the other Members without regard to the continued enforcement of the Grant of Rights Agreement, that the financial consequences to the Conference and its remaining Members cannot be measured or estimated with certainty at this time, and that the payment of the Buyout Amount is a reasonable method of compensating the Conference and the other Members for such damage and financial hardship and shall not be construed as a penalty.

so basically Texas and OU have 12 hours to inform the conference that they are talking to anyone about leaving and failure to do so gets them removed from voting on any conference business.....they also have to reject those offers in a manner acceptable to the conference or they cannot vote on conference business

and the exit fee is 2 years prior revenues and there are additional penalties for trying to get out of paying that or doing things that cause further damage

if Texas and OU are in fact talking to others and they have not given the required notice there are a lot of actions the Big 12 an take and I do not think that would look good in any forthcoming lawsuit

Texas and OU are probably going to have to pay a lot of money to leave especially if they have not done things properly I don't think this will be a case of getting the exit fee cut in half or getting it down to 75% like Maryland did.....all the more so if there was no 12 hour notice

this could be anywhere from $60 million to $90+ million for Texas and OU to leave depending on the amounts paid by the conference the prior two years and how much anyone and everyone wants to fight in court.......which I think the other 8 members of the Big 12 will be up for a pretty big fight

the Big 12 can also refuse to televise games of the members leaving if they are in violation of the contract

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Pretty much every member of the Big 12 is individually more valuable than every member of the AAC.  If you wanted to quibble about a couple, I hear you, but the Big 12 + a few AAC >>> the AAC + a few Big 12 members.  There are HS football teams in Texas with more fans than Tulsa.  Tulane and some others aren't much better.  

I don't think that's true and I will quibble about a few. UCF, Cincy and Memphis (Houston too) are just as attractive as KSU or ISU. 

Yes - the bottom brands in the B12 are better than fucking Tulsa and Tulane but I'm not sure that's worth blowing up the American over. 

I'm trying to predict what might happen - not what would create the best conference top to bottom. If I'm one of the better AAC programs I'm not sure why I'd sign up to go play in a conference that might be pretty dead in the water post OU and Texas exit. I think it's much more likely that the B12 gets pieced out or some new conference emerges and we have 3-4 big boys and 2-3 next ups. 

But I could be wrong. It's hard to predict how this will shake out. If the remaining 8 in the B12 could nab UH, SMU and 2/4 of Memphis, Cincy, UCF, USF it wouldn't be that far behind the P12.

Edited by ztejas

11 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I wish the SEC were smaller than even today’s alignment and we could play Auburn again every year.

I only want you and the dirt burglars if we can swap you for Aggy and Mizzou. That said, I’m puffing on my Pax indica pod, sipping a Sazerac, and enjoying the shit out of reading Texags.

Good post.  Conferences larger than 12 suck. 

And if we're going to blow up the Big 12 because of all the dead weight, why are we joining a league with 2 mississippi schools, kentucky, tennesse, vandy, etc.  Why not start something new? 

And mostly I don’t want to be associated with those yokels (minus Florida and Vandy) I really hope this doesn't happen.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Since Mizzou wanted the Big 10 in the first place, if this shit is really happening, I hope they take them this time with KU to get to 16, and we (OSU) tags along to sec west. Arkansas is closer to Stillwater than any other big 12 member other than OU, and many arkys live in this state. Just spitballing ways to not get relegated.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

so basically Texas and OU have 12 hours to inform the conference that they are talking to anyone about leaving and failure to do so gets them removed from voting on any conference business.....they also have to reject those offers in a manner acceptable to the conference or they cannot vote on conference business

and the exit fee is 2 years prior revenues and there are additional penalties for trying to get out of paying that or doing things that cause further damage

if Texas and OU are in fact talking to others and they have not given the required notice there are a lot of actions the Big 12 an take and I do not think that would look good in any forthcoming lawsuit

Texas and OU are probably going to have to pay a lot of money to leave especially if they have not done things properly I don't think this will be a case of getting the exit fee cut in half or getting it down to 75% like Maryland did.....all the more so if there was no 12 hour notice

this could be anywhere from $60 million to $90+ million for Texas and OU to leave depending on the amounts paid by the conference the prior two years and how much anyone and everyone wants to fight in court.......which I think the other 8 members of the Big 12 will be up for a pretty big fight

the Big 12 can also refuse to televise games of the members leaving if they are in violation of the contract

Everyone left in the B12 is going to huff and puff and file lawsuits, but in the end everything will be settled. No one is going to refuse to televise games, there's way too much money at stake. The networks will have a big say in this as well. The rapists or someone else going scorched earth will just screw themselves once the current contract expires.  

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think that's true and I will quibble about a few. UCF, Cincy and Memphis (Houston too) are just as attractive as KSU or ISU. 

Yes - the bottom brands in the B12 are better than fucking Tulsa and Tulane but I'm not sure that's worth blowing up the American over. 

I'm trying to predict what might happen - not what would create the best conference top to bottom. If I'm one of the better AAC programs I'm not sure why I'd sign up to go play in a conference that might be pretty dead in the water post OU and Texas exit. I think it's much more likely that the B12 gets pieced out or some new conference emerges and we have 3-4 big boys and 2-3 next ups. 

But I could be wrong. It's hard to predict how this will shake out. If the remaining 8 in the B12 could nab UH, SMU and 2/4 of Memphis, Cincy, UCF, USF it wouldn't be that far behind the P12.

Value/payout are the best way to predict what will happen.  If you lose dead weight like Tulsa and Tulane (and others you make more money.  There's less dead weight on the Big 12 side of that tug of war.  

Obviously that changes if a few of those Other 8 from the Big 12 land in another P5 league.  But who is going to land somewhere else?  The messaging on this for a decade has been that Texas and OU are the only two schools who add value to another P5 conference.  Why would that change now?

If I’m the other 8 schools in the Big 12…I’m making calls to pretty much all the other conferences. I’m calling on the other 8 schools in the Big 12 and maybe form an alliance with at least one. I wouldn’t wait for UT/OU and whatever happens with SEC or try some attempt to add schools to the Big 12. I’d try to make moves to find a home and take as much of my fate into my own hands. Again JMO. If I am a donor and ex-student I’m blowing up the phones of my university and AD. Im blowing up their email and Twitter. Again, that’s just me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Everyone left in the B12 is going to huff and puff and file lawsuits, but in the end everything will be settled. No one is going to refuse to televise games, there's way too much money at stake. The networks will have a big say in this as well. The rapists or someone else going scorched earth will just screw themselves once the current contract expires.  

I don't think it will be settled this time like other times there is too much at stake

There are no landing pads for current Big 12 members that make sense and they are not going to let a dollar slip away on settling anything

Unless ESPN (and Fox that has mostly bowed out of college sports lately) is going to give the remaining Big 12 members a TV deal that keeps then even with the PAC 12 and ACC long term there is no chance they settle

ESPN could offer that contract to entice the Big 12 to let those games be shown, but it better be a good contract

plus that 12 hour notice rule is there for a reason in Texas and OU have been ignoring that then that could be very costly in court

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If I’m the other 8 schools in the Big 12…I’m making calls to pretty much all the other conferences. I’m calling on the other 8 schools in the Big 12 and maybe form an alliance with at least one. I wouldn’t wait for UT/OU and whatever happens with SEC or try some attempt to add schools to the Big 12. I’d try to make moves to find a home and take as much of my fate into my own hands. Again JMO. If I am a donor and ex-student I’m blowing up the phones of my university and AD. Im blowing up their email and Twitter. Again, that’s just me. 

The problem is some of those alums, donors, and students are blowing up their university and AD to tell them to “make UT and OU stay” because they know what will happen if we both leave.  It won’t be easy for them to find homes.  That is what I was saying earlier in this thread to our resident Cyclone—other universities in this conference believe UT has to do what’s best for those universities to continue to have a P5 home when in reality that is not only shitty logic but it’s 100% untrue.  UT has to do what’s best for UT, not what’s best to keep your university in a P5.  That’s YOUR university’s problem, not ours. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just got a text from a buddy who has heard Texas/OU have been talking to the SEC awhile and the news leaking today was aggy’s last pathetic attempt to scuttle the deal after they were unable to drum up support to stop it within the conference. The numbers are too huge. Brent Z at the Chronicle is aggy through and through so makes sense there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The problem is some of those alums, donors, and students are blowing up their university and AD to tell them to “make UT and OU stay” because they know what will happen if we both leave.  It won’t be easy for them to find homes.  That is what I was saying earlier in this thread to our resident Cyclone—other universities in this conference believe UT has to do what’s best for those universities to continue to have a P5 home when in reality that is not only shitty logic but it’s 100% untrue.  UT has to do what’s best for UT, not what’s best to keep your university in a P5.  That’s YOUR university’s problem, not ours. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Just got a text from a buddy who has heard Texas/OU have been talking to the SEC awhile and the news leaking today was aggy’s last pathetic attempt to scuttle the deal after they were unable to drum up support to stop it within the conference. The numbers are too huge. Brent Z at the Chronicle is aggy through and through so makes sense there.

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

67119FFA-F00E-4C0F-98F9-131CD7619604.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

is that really that big of a deal?  its not like NEB/OU or FLA/Ga...

It’s not at all really. Most old school Gators I know miss playing Auburn and would love to have a yearly shot at Bama. Auburn not playing Georgia every year was a big issue with Auburn fans I know too. 

This would actually fix some of those rivalries. I’m curious how they would do the cross over. Would they go to 9 league games? Stick with one cross over every year? Only one cross over would suck. 

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

A 12 team playoff would basically put Texas and Ou in the playoff every year. I see more to downside than upside at the moment.

I get that recruits want to play in the SEC but if we avoid the beat down of an SEC season and see them in the playoffs what is the real difference?    By switching we retain most aTm/SEC recruits? TV Money?  

What am I missing?   

That kids want to play in the SEC because the SEC puts players in the NFL