Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why wouldn't Iowa State just join the Big 10 now if TEXAS and blOU go to SEC??

That would require an invite.

It might happen.  This could end up fine.  As long as we have some kind of viable home and aren't waiting for you and OU to snuff us out, I'll be happy.

But we can't just join another league without their invite, and while I'm sure our AD is doing everything possible on the team front, this limbo Is horrible.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

After the Urban drama I'm just going to sit back and chill. 

This.

Just looking at everything that’s gone on over the last year or so regarding coaches, athletic department management, and facilities, everything has been screaming that we were anticipating this move. I’m just grabbing a tub of popcorn and enjoying the show because the aggy meltdown is too great to pass up.

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That would require an invite.

It might happen.  This could end up fine.  As long as we have some kind of viable home and aren't waiting for you and OU to snuff us out, I'll be happy.

But we can't just join another league without their invite, and while I'm sure our AD is doing everything possible on the team front, this limbo Is horrible.

Five years ago the Big 10 would not have invited Iowa State. Now? You might as well formalize Saint Matt Campbell because he might have gotten you in a position to get an invite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If the schools that have been dependent upon their affiliation with Texas and ou to be relevant & reap hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue they never would have realized on their own over the past 50+ years are just now coming to terms with their spot in life, well...tough shit.

You've had decades to improve. You should have been demanding your administration do everything possible to build your brand & make you more marketable to another conference when the BXII inevitably crumbled.

Instead, most just hung on, hoping the gravy train would go forever.

Blame your administrations for failing to do their part. Don't blame Texas or ou for your lack of growth.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

If the schools that have been dependent upon their affiliation with Texas and ou to be relevant & reap hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue they never would have realized on their own over the past 50+ years are just now coming to terms with their spot in life, well...tough shit.

You've had decades to improve. You should have been demanding your administration do everything possible to build your brand & make you more marketable to another conference when the BXII inevitably crumbled.

Blame your administrations for failing to do their part. Don't blame Texas or ou for your lack of growth.
Well this is complete bullshit in our case and guess what? It still don't make a shit.
  • Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Okie State said:
48 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Well this is complete bullshit in our case and guess what? It still don't make a shit.

That was seriously the stupidest thing I’ve read on this board since that guy referred to every school outside the USN top 25 as glorified junior colleges.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Here is my mock up of the potential SEC and how scheduling will work:

Pod 1 and Pod 2 play each other every year and the same for Pod 3 and 4 giving 7 conference games just from those two pods. Add in 2 cross conference games and you get a potential schedule as follows that rotates. That's if they decided to move to a 9 conference game schedule or stick with 8 conference games. This keeps a lot of traditional SEC rivalries intact.

SEC WEST
Pod 1 - OU, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri
Pod 2 - LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss St

SEC EAST
Pod 3 - Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Pod 4 -Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

Texas Theoretical Schedule:
OOC Opponent
OOC Opponent
OOC Opponent
OU @ Dallas
Arkansas
Missouri
LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
Pod 3 or 4 Rotated Team - If 8 game conference schedule
Pod 4 Rotated Team - If 9 game conference schedule/Could also make it a permanent cross pod rivalry from the EAST side such as LSU/Bama - This could be substituted for the gimme FCS schedule opponent in the SEC scheduling world

I think they will stick to 8 conference games though because there is nothing to gain and the conference will only have a stronger benefit of doubt with the two additions. This move IMO is to ensure 4 teams get into the CFB playoff every year.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Five years ago the Big 10 would not have invited Iowa State. Now? You might as well formalize Saint Matt Campbell because he might have gotten you in a position to get an invite.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if that happened.  I always preferred the Big 12 staying around.

I'd just take anything with playoff access that doesn't involve you guys and OU at this point.  I love Surly and your fanbase has always been good to me, but holy shit you're administrators are just god awful partners.  As are OU, Nebraska, and Aggy, but even if we end up in the same place as Nebraska, we all know they're just another peon.  We've always been a peon, we just want a benevolent dictator that doesn't have their hand on the rug 24/7.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That was seriously the stupidest thing I’ve read on this board since that guy referred to every school outside the USN top 25 as glorified junior colleges.

I’ve wanted out of this conference ever since your coach’s buddies with whistles fixed the game against Charlie Strong.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Or, in other words, “fuck around and find out.”

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit some schadenfreude for the suffering of Okey Steak, TCU, and, most importantly, Baylor. I feel kind of bad for Iowa state, tech (they’re kind of our trashy, fun cousin), and the Kansas schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If anyone is confused on why this is happening or doesn’t want it to happen should just go look at our home schedule for this upcoming year and replace it with 6 SEC schools. Think attendance and excitement at DKR might be a liiiiitle bit bigger for basically any SEC school than the shit that’s at home this year 

Exactly how I explained this to friends at dinner last night. Our home schedule is pathetic. I don’t love the SEC, but just get me out of this bullshit conference with irrelevant teams and biased/bad officiating.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyRage said:

With our media rights being through 2025, I don't think that this is happening. This is just propaganda. If it happens it's not the smartest game theory to a championship, but it also has some recruiting and revenue benefits.

Tell me you haven't been paying attention without telling me you haven't been paying attention.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

With our media rights being through 2025, I don't think that this is happening. This is just propaganda. If it happens it's not the smartest game theory to a championship, but it also has some recruiting and revenue benefits.

Where have you been for the last 18 hours? This isn’t some Twitter off season rumor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Nothing against Iowa State, but if the situations were reversed your admin would be doing the same thing -- exploring whatever options were best for Iowa State. It sucks that your school is put in this position, but this thread hasn't fallen off the first page in a decade for a reason. Even though nobody knew how it was going to happen or where schools would end up, we all knew the Big 12/CFB musical chairs weren't over -- only delayed.  I really don't understand why every fanbase and former SWC/Big 8 alumnus feels it's always Texas's job to save every conference they're in and protect the other programs at their own expense when we haven't been the first ones to cut and run in either the SWC or Big 12. 

The very worst case scenario for Iowa State is likely a mix of the other Big 12 schools and top AAC schools either forming a new conference or those AAC schools being absorbed into the Big 12. It would likely still be an upgrade over the current PAC and their recent troubles, even if it doesn't have the historical prestige.  Best case scenario, maybe you wind up in a Big 10 division with Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. I know it sucks, but it's not the end of college football for Iowa State. 

If I had my way, power conferences would still look like they did when the BCS was established.  At the time I didn't think it got any better than the original Big 12, and the BCS conferences in general were much more balanced before Miami bolted from the Big East and the Big 10 and SEC got too big.  But money has fucked up college football, and you can't turn back time.

It's not your job to "save" the conference.  But why and the hell couldn't you guys and OU just act like every other blue blood?

Ohio State and Michigan would make more $ joining the SEC.  Clemson and Florida State would too.  None of them would remotely entertain the idea.

Maybe something better will materialize, and whatever comes, we won't be under your sword of Damocles.  Even if it's some quieter, lesser existence, it will be better than a gun to our head 24/7.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Exactly how I explained this to friends at dinner last night. Our home schedule is pathetic. I don’t love the SEC, but just get me out of this bullshit conference with irrelevant teams and biased/bad officiating.

I’m sure you’ll get all the calls in the sec, and everyone will do whatever Texas says. I mean, “You’re Texas,” all will bow down.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We've almost all done that.

The thing is, 75% of the schools in the Big 10, SEC, ACC, and Pac 12 are no different than the OK States, Iowa States, K States, Techs, and KUs of the world.

You know what the difference is?  Their blue blood schools haven't been trying to leave forever.  Ohio State and Michigan don't want to join the SEC even though their schedule is full of Purdues, Rutgers, Marylands, Indiana, Iowa, etc.  Clemson and Florida State have no problem playing Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Louisville, Georgia Tech.  For some reason OU and Texas are just besides themselves about playing OK State, Iowa State, TCU, WVU.  The issue isn't with the lesser schools, it's with the bizarre infatuation that OU and Texas have about being Prestige Worldwide.

Unless something really crazy is afoot and the SEC + Texas and OU are just going to go off and be their own thing entirely, it's ridiculous.  At this point, I kind of hope that's what's actually going on.  You guys and the SEC can go play your own separate thing and leave the rest of college football to itself.

This really isn’t true, the Big12 has no middle class that’s what hurts it. The Big10 for example has the contenders in UM, OSU, and PSU but it also has a healthy second class of Wiscy, MSU, Iowa, and Neb. 

The main takeaway I see is that the Big 12 is dead no matter what. It wouldn’t shock me if West Virginia beats everyone to the punch by announcing a move to the ACC next week. They were a mercenary hire for the B12 anyway.

There is no reason that the PAC-12 doesn’t talk to Texas and OU. After all once moves are in motion, options become limited. Bidding war?

Texas and OU are smart if they lock arms especially from OUs perspective. In theory, Texas could pull a Notre Dame to be an independent if all else fails. We’re not the national brand as ND but both Texas and OU could be a regular fixture in the 12 team playoff.

lastly, the paying players thing has to have the schools scared or at least uncertain regarding the future. There might only be so much money floating around, and if players start to get their hands on it, then the schools might get less. It’s a good time to lock in even more financial stability with increased conference size. After all bringing in Texas OU is not the same as bringing in A&M Mizzou. UT delivers the state of Texas that A&M couldn’t.

Look, I empathize with our Big 12 school brothers on here. But this was a shotgun wedding that was destined to fail. Texas and OU were always going to leave after the GOR expired. They are the last 2 pieces in the realignment sweepstakes. If anything, it wouldn't shock me if the Big 10 and Pac 12 don't try to pull the 2 in. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The main takeaway I see is that the Big 12 is dead no matter what. It wouldn’t shock me if West Virginia beats everyone to the punch by announcing a move to the ACC next week. They were a mercenary hire for the B12 anyway.

There is no reason that the PAC-12 doesn’t talk to Texas and OU. After all once moves are in motion, options become limited. Bidding war?

Texas and OU are smart if they lock arms especially from OUs perspective. In theory, Texas could pull a Notre Dame to be an independent if all else fails. We’re not the national brand as ND but both Texas and OU could be a regular fixture in the 12 team playoff.

lastly, the paying players thing has to have the schools scared or at least uncertain regarding the future. There might only be so much money floating around, and if players start to get their hands on it, then the schools might get less. It’s a good time to lock in even more financial stability with increased conference size. After all bringing in Texas OU is not the same as bringing in A&M Mizzou. UT delivers the state of Texas that A&M couldn’t.

The main takeaway that you should be seeing is Texas and OU already made their play

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

This really isn’t true, the Big12 has no middle class that’s what hurts it. The Big10 for example has the contenders in UM, OSU, and PSU but it also has a healthy second class of Wiscy, MSU, Iowa, and Neb. 

Most of the Big 12 has the same success level in the last 10-15 as that middle class.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's not your job to "save" the conference.  But why and the hell couldn't you guys and OU just act like every other blue blood?

Ohio State and Michigan would make more $ joining the SEC.  Clemson and Florida State would too.  None of them would remotely entertain the idea.

Fair enough, but I don't think this would be happening today if Nebraska, Mizzou, A&M, and CU were still here.  Mizzou really owns a lot of blame for lifting their skirt publicly to the media 5 seconds after the Big 10 announced they were exploring expansion and begging to get out.  Maybe there was a lot more going on behind the scenes, but I was shocked at the time at the idea that the Big 12 was an unstable conference.  I knew Nebraska had some beef with a few rule changes and the championship game being played down South, but I never would have guessed in general schools were looking to leave.

The sad truth is that the Big 12 is not the Big 10 or the SEC and will continue to fall further behind as time goes on.  We're not that far behind now, but it will get worse.  The ACC is positioned much better long term.  The Big 12 is vulnerable now for the same reasons the SWC and Big 8 were so vulnerable -- they now have a very small footprint compared to other conferences, and as exploration proved a few years back, the options to expand weren't that great. 

I honestly not in love with the direction things are going in CFB in general.  I view these 14 and 16 team super conferences the same as the NBA pile-on teams of the last decade.  I assume it's fun if it's your team, but it's bad for everyone else and a negative for the sport in general.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, morehornsepower said:

Either A&M is trying to kill this deal by leaking it, or...this deal is a complete fabrication, and A&M is pushing it so that we look bad when the SEC "doesn't want us".  Would sure love to see something official from the UT side...

You can want it but that's not going to happen for a bit. Texas and OU have to first announce their intention to not extend the grant of rights. Then the SEC announces they have extended Texas and OU an invitation to join the conference. Then the BORs for each school vote to join. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, sportsbay said:

Iowa State isn't guilty of this but most of the SWC and Big 8 schools are guilty of playing Texas as the bad guy.  That idiot Fatterson in Ft Worth does it every second of every day.  SMU was funnelling cash out of Highland Park to players as fast as they could.  Football is king in Texas and everyone hates UT.  I am glad we are leaving most of the backstabbing mess......  not to say that the SEC is not the same but at least they are farther away and we will get our recruiting base back.

I don't think you were the bad guy in the past, but you clearly are here.  The other Big 12 schools have been pretty supportive of Texas and OU since the last round of realignment and it's gotten us absolutely nowhere.  Gun to the head.

It's not the fans fault, and I'm not blaming any posters here obviously, but this shit is old and not one poster here has responded to my question as to why other blue bloods don't act this way.  Because there isn't a good answer; you know I'm right on that.

I just want this over fast.  I'm sure you guys do too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Either A&M is trying to kill this deal by leaking it, or...this deal is a complete fabrication, and A&M is pushing it so that we look bad when the SEC "doesn't want us".  Would sure love to see something official from the UT side...
Texas, ou, and the sec have now had multiple chances for a flat denial and none have come.

What's more likely, that aggy made up a fabrication and for some reason no one is denying it, or that it's true and aggy leaked it to try to mess it up?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Fair enough, but I don't think this would be happening today if Nebraska, Mizzou, A&M, and CU were still here.  Mizzou really owns a lot of blame for lifting their skirt publicly to the media 5 seconds after the Big 10 announced they were exploring expansion and begging to get out.  Maybe there was a lot more going on behind the scenes, but I was shocked at the time at the idea that the Big 12 was an unstable conference.  I knew Nebraska had some beef with a few rule changes and the championship game being played down South, but I never would have guessed in general schools were looking to leave.

The sad truth is that the Big 12 is not the Big 10 or the SEC and will continue to fall further behind as time goes on.  We're not that far behind now, but it will get worse.  The ACC is positioned much better long term.  The Big 12 is vulnerable now for the same reasons the SWC and Big 8 were so vulnerable -- they now have a very small footprint compared to other conferences, and as exploration proved a few years back, the options to expand weren't that great. 

I honestly not in love with the direction things are going in CFB in general.  I view these 14 and 16 team super conferences the same as the NBA pile-on teams of the last decade.  I assume it's fun if it's your team, but it's bad for everyone else and a negative for the sport in general.

I agree completely.  I've been very critical of all them before.

But I have little doubt that Texas and OU could stay put, make a ton of money, have elite recruiting classes, and make the playoffs at a regular clip.  Obviously Prestige Worldwide is what you guys want.  Enjoy.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Most of the Big 12 has the same success level in the last 10-15 as that middle class.

It’s not about football success it about hype and interest, just like Texas replacing a home schedule of ISU, TTU, Baylor, and KSU with A&M, Arky, Auburn and Tennessee is going drive way more interest.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree completely.  I've been very critical of all them before.

But I have little doubt that Texas and OU could stay put, make a ton of money, have elite recruiting classes, and make the playoffs at a regular clip.  Obviously Prestige Worldwide is what you guys want.  Enjoy.

Being the blue blood of the Big 10, the oldest Division one athletic conference, is not the same as being the top two in the Big 12. The future prospects for these conferences in their current form is in no way equal. Texas can see it would be left behind and the money/exposure gap growing wider and wider. 

• Like 1

I'm just glad we've finally dispelled the notion that our conference affiliation should be about academics and not football. It should absolutely be about football and that's the SEC, not the Big 10, Pac 12 (I will miss you California road games), or the ACC. Football is about regionality and rivalries. We get 2 of those rivals back instantly if we move to the SEC. We gain a new one with LSU. Trips to the Grove will be badass. Starkville, eh..whatever. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3