Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is horrible. Don’t say these things. We are Texas. We lead. We don’t follow and wrap up our identity in a conference. 

I always thought that too. Now I’m trying to reconcile that with entering the SEC. It doesn’t really work.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

there is a very small chance this is a negotiating ploy by Texas and OU but I give it about 2%...

The only negotiating to stay in the Big 12 is to force Fox to pay up on their media deal. Part of this is happening because Fox wouldn't do that last year. 

... We will finally be a big fish in a big pond.

[inner voice]: I bet that's exactly what Arky said when they moved to the SEC.

We sure are doing a lot of trash talking for how great we're going to be when we have not even won our current conference in its current form. In fact half of the current Big 12 has won the conference more recently than we have.

We're going to need a lot more than We Are Texas if we're going to compete every year in the mini-NFL/SEC. I've had the pleasure of being on the sideline for and SEC Champ game that didn't include Alabama...those a full grown fucking men over there. A noticable difference.

I think we have as many pieces of the puzzle as any one else or at least a willingness to invest, and I'm up for the challenge (although not my first or second choice), but this will be a hell of a step up for a team that is still watching games from 15 years ago on repeat.

• Hook 'Em 3

Key factors in Texas, Oklahoma to SEC situation

al.com

The college football world turned upside down Wednesday when the public became aware Texas and Oklahoma were interested in leaving the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference.

After the initial wave of shock and non-denial statements from the key parties now comes what Tom Petty would say is the hardest part: the waiting.

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC won’t be official today or tomorrow. It could move that direction in the next couple weeks or it could fizzle out completely. The SEC could add one of the biggest properties in college athletics or it could watch it head to a rival conference. Realignment is a fickle thing, and when you involve Texas schools and Texas politicians, it can get especially crazy as anyone who dealt with it a decade ago can surely attest.

To give you a better sense of what to expect in the coming weeks, AL.com is breaking down the key factors in this situation.

Could this actually happen?

Yes, it can. The Houston Chronicle dropped the bombshell report Wednesday afternoon but news of Texas and Oklahoma being interested in joining the SEC had been bubbling in the prior days. As AL.com reported yesterday after talking to multiple insiders this week, the belief was Texas and Oklahoma had already taken steps to facilitate a move out of the Big 12 and that the SEC was the preferred destination.

There are some potential roadblocks -- we’ll get to those in a second -- but everything I’ve been told is there is genuine mutual interest between Texas and Oklahoma and the SEC. If it comes to fruition, it would be, by far, the biggest realignment move we’ve ever seen.

Why would the SEC want Texas and Oklahoma?

This answer has to begin and end with money. Adding two big-name college football programs, including one that is a national brand, should allow the SEC to bolster its already nicely-filled coffers. A new television rights deal with ESPN that is expected to pay the conference an extra $300 million annually doesn’t even go into effect until 2024, but the addition of Texas and Oklahoma should make all parties go back to the negotiating table to bump up that number. With the College Football Playoff expected to expand to 12 teams in the coming years, adding Texas and Oklahoma would give the SEC two more quality schools capable of making the playoff.

Here’s maybe the biggest factor: Because if the SEC doesn’t, another conference will. Everyone in the Big 12 seemed to claim Wednesday to have no idea what was going on, but multiple people told AL.com that Texas and Oklahoma had already made up their minds that they wanted out of the Big 12. If Texas and Oklahoma are leaving no matter what, the SEC’s thinking is we’d rather have them to solidify our base than watch them go to the Pac-12 or ACC which could start up another round of realignment as conferences try to move to 16-teams like Larry Scott tried in 2010. It’s about being ahead of the curve rather than reactive when the realignment carousel cranks up again.

Texas and Oklahoma are the two clear gems of the Big 12 so if that conference were to get picked apart or dissolve altogether, those are the two schools you want.

Why wouldn’t this happen?

Texas politics, basically. When Texas wanted to jump to the Pac-10 and Texas A&M wanted to jump to the SEC in 2010, both were told by influential Texas politicians to stand down, as former Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin told me Wednesday night. Then you had Baylor president Ken Starr threaten the SEC with a lawsuit should it add Texas A&M, a move that temporarily delayed the school’s admission because the SEC didn’t want to deal with any lawsuits.

A lot can -- and does -- change in a decade but Texas politics will always be a tricky situation to navigate. Don’t be shocked if influential Texas A&M boosters try to get involved to slow the process down, too. Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork didn’t hide the fact he doesn’t want Texas to join the SEC, saying Wednesday, “We want to be the only SEC team from the state of Texas.” Several reporters took note, too, how coincidental it was that Bjork just happened to be in Hoover to spin the news while no other SEC AD had been at media days all week. Texas A&M has the most to lose in a scenario where it has to share the SEC with Texas, and is expected to do everything it can, publicly and privately, to prevent that from happening.

Will it be enough? There has been a long-standing unofficial gentlemen’s agreement in the SEC to not add a school that another member seriously objects to, but multiple people I talked to this week felt a deal of this magnitude would supersede that. The SEC’s official bylaws say 75 percent of its schools -- that would be 11 out of 14 -- must approve any new member’s admission.

Oklahoma State will also try to crank up pressure to either keep Oklahoma in the Big 12 or make it a package deal. It was an issue that came up throughout the last big round of Big 12 realignment as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were basically attached at the hip. That doesn’t appear to be as big an issue now, but as Oklahoma State’s strongly worded statement Wednesday showed, there will be drama in Oklahoma if the Sooners leave without their little brother.

Finally, there are television rights issues to work out. Texas and Oklahoma’s TV rights are stuck with the Big 12 through 2025. There’s also Texas’ separate Longhorn Network deal that would, in theory, be easier to navigate given ESPN will soon own all of the SEC’s rights, but would still likely require winding down LHN and merging it with the SEC Network. There are a lot of big and small details to work out in conference-defining moves like this.

What’s next?

Be prepared to be bombarded in the coming weeks with reports saying all kinds of conflicting things about realignment. There was so much misinformation, targeted leaks and general chaos the last time Texas and Oklahoma were eying a move out of the Big 12 so it’s fair to expect more of that this time around. There will be a lot of public pressure placed on Texas and Oklahoma to answer questions about their intentions, making it harder for each to work in the shadows evaluating possible moves. The SEC is the prettiest belle of the ball, but don’t be surprised to see other conferences try to sway Texas and Oklahoma to join their group, instead. Loftin told me Wednesday night Texas was adamant that the then-Pac-10 was a much better fit for its campus and its academic aspirations. Again, that was a decade ago and the Pac-12 is in a much worse position now after the Scott era but expect there to at least be feelers about whether Texas’ previous westward preferences still linger.

FCB on SEC move

Spoiler

— Texas' biggest hurdle to join the Southeastern Conference may well be Texas A&M System chancellor John Sharp, according to one college athletics source close to the situation.

"If Sharp doesn't have the votes to block Texas from the SEC, he's doing everything in his power to get the votes," the source said.

A high-level source close to the situation told Horns247  there have been conversations between Texas and the SEC, led by UT regents chairman Kevin Eltife and UT president Jay Hartzell, and that there is mutual interest in Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC.

For the SEC to add schools to the 14-member league, 11 of the 14 would have to approve the additions. The votes Sharp is believed to be working on to block Texas are Missouri, Arkansas and LSU, the source said.

On the same day a Texas A&M beat writer broke a story in the Houston Chronicle about Texas and Oklahoma talking to the SEC about joining the league, A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told reporters at SEC Media Day Wednesday that A&M wants to be the only school from Texas in the SEC.

Sharp is a former statewide officeholder in Texas, having won election to the Texas Railroad Commission as well as twice being voted Texas' comptroller (in 1990 and 1994). As far as politicians go, Sharp is about as savvy as they come.

"I could see Sharp going to Arkansas and trading an extension of their series at Jerryworld (AT&T Stadium in Arlington) for a vote," the source said. "Sharp wouldn't hesitate to trade non-football things for a football vote, too. He could go to LSU's president and say, 'You want to work together for some more research dollars? Give me your vote.' He's made those kinds of deals his entire political life. And he absolutely doesn't want to share the SEC spotlight with Texas."

— On Thursday morning, the SEC Network, run by Big 12 and SEC media rights holder ESPN, had an idea about how the SEC could divide up into four pods if Texas and Oklahoma were to join the SEC:

Four 4-team pods:

Pod A: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Pod B: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pod 😄 LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Pod 😧 Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas

9-game conference schedule format:

* Play the other three teams in your pod every season

* Play two games against each of the other pods

* Host every team at least once every four years

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Baylor Grad....   Where have we seen this before?

the butt hurt is going to be glorious.  

did we have people drafting legislation when aggy left?  this is great.  SEC showing the world that no one gives a shit about aggy.

6 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

[inner voice]: I bet that's exactly what Arky said when they moved to the SEC.

We sure are doing a lot of trash talking for how great we're going to be when we have not even won our current conference in its current form. In fact half of the current Big 12 has won the conference more recently than we have.

We're going to need a lot more than We Are Texas if we're going to compete every year in the mini-NFL/SEC. I've had the pleasure of being on the sideline for and SEC Champ game that didn't include Alabama...those a full grown fucking men over there. A noticable difference.

I think we have as many pieces of the puzzle as any one else or at least a willingness to invest, and I'm up for the challenge (although not my first or second choice), but this will be a hell of a step up for a team that is still watching games from 15 years ago on repeat.

God I hate espn, look how much they have brain washed people. In recent years Texas absolutely physically dominated Georgia, and gave the best LSU team ever all they could handle. This narrative is stupid and needs to die. Our boys from Texas will do just fine against anyone.

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

FCB on SEC move

Hide contents

— Texas' biggest hurdle to join the Southeastern Conference may well be Texas A&M System chancellor John Sharp, according to one college athletics source close to the situation.

"If Sharp doesn't have the votes to block Texas from the SEC, he's doing everything in his power to get the votes," the source said.

A high-level source close to the situation told Horns247  there have been conversations between Texas and the SEC, led by UT regents chairman Kevin Eltife and UT president Jay Hartzell, and that there is mutual interest in Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC.

For the SEC to add schools to the 14-member league, 11 of the 14 would have to approve the additions. The votes Sharp is believed to be working on to block Texas are Missouri, Arkansas and LSU, the source said.

On the same day a Texas A&M beat writer broke a story in the Houston Chronicle about Texas and Oklahoma talking to the SEC about joining the league, A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told reporters at SEC Media Day Wednesday that A&M wants to be the only school from Texas in the SEC.

Sharp is a former statewide officeholder in Texas, having won election to the Texas Railroad Commission as well as twice being voted Texas' comptroller (in 1990 and 1994). As far as politicians go, Sharp is about as savvy as they come.

"I could see Sharp going to Arkansas and trading an extension of their series at Jerryworld (AT&T Stadium in Arlington) for a vote," the source said. "Sharp wouldn't hesitate to trade non-football things for a football vote, too. He could go to LSU's president and say, 'You want to work together for some more research dollars? Give me your vote.' He's made those kinds of deals his entire political life. And he absolutely doesn't want to share the SEC spotlight with Texas."

— On Thursday morning, the SEC Network, run by Big 12 and SEC media rights holder ESPN, had an idea about how the SEC could divide up into four pods if Texas and Oklahoma were to join the SEC:

Four 4-team pods:

Bama, Fla, Georgia, Aub - "what, we can trade Texas and OU for aggy?....get me a gotdam pen!"

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

100% correct, the writing has been on the wall.  Could not agree more.  That's why ISU built up the stadium, paying our coach 5M, paying assistants 1M.  I mean they built a top ten team the last two years and won the Fiesta Bowl.  Not much more you can do.  Again, I don't think it is anybody's fault, Texas is doing what they should do.  Texas has no responsibility to any university other than themselves.  There is only so much you can do.  It's just reality of being a smaller market team smacking us in the face finally.  But again, the issue that kills us is, so many really crappy teams that did nothing, did not try to compete, and are riding coat tails in EVERY SINGLE CONFERNECE....those teams are in and we are going to be out. 

I am yelling at the wind here.  I get it, nobody cares, I am going through he mourning process for my Cyclones here today, but I live in Austin.  And have come to really like the Longhorns over the years.  And it's a huge bummer.

I agree ISU has stepped up to the plate recently. But schools are businesses, they ain't in any of this to make friends. Its all about money and with football, recruiting. How many players have liked UT but said their main goal is to play SEC.

It isn't that no one cares, this was inevitable, its unfortunate others are caught up in it but its business plain and simple.

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

God I hate espn, look how much they have brain washed people. In recent years Texas absolutely physically dominate Georgia, and gave the best LSU team ever all they could handle. This narrative is stupid and needs to die. Our boys from Texas will do just fine against anyone.

"It don't make a shit"

God I hate espn, look how much they have brain washed people. In recent years Texas absolutely physically dominate Georgia, and have the best LSU team ever all they could handle. This narrative is stupid and needs to die. Our boys from Texas will do just fine against anyone.

...and aggy competed in the SEC West right away in 2012 with Texas kids recruited to compete in the Big 12. What a tired narrative.

• Like 1

God I hate espn, look how much they have brain washed people. In recent years Texas absolutely physically dominate Georgia, and gave the best LSU team ever all they could handle. This narrative is stupid and needs to die. Our boys from Texas will do just fine against anyone.

OU just took Florida to the woodshed as well 

Texas does need better OL and DL and this should help expand the base into LA and FL where a lot of the talent resides

42 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

Still going to be based on population demographics and eyeballs, what's changing is TV Ratings are far more important than number of cable subscribers.  There's only so many people in Iowa to watch college football.  If the B1G can't expand into Texas/Florida/California, don't expand would be my thought. 

The top of the PAC12 is hurting for revenue and their GOR expires soon.  The B1G has a long standing relationship with the the PAC12.  That makes sense in a lot of ways other than geography, and it's becoming clear geography doesn't matter much anymore.

Don’t underestimate ESPN +. The mid market schools with fam bases willing to pay $5 a month to stream will be very valuable going forward with the larger schools on main networks. 

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

...and aggy competed in the SEC West right away in 2012 with Texas kids recruited to compete in the Big 12. What a tired narrative.

Missouri won the east twice lol. Folks just listen to the talking heads rather than what's actually going on. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

you seem like a pussy

If only. Pussy always wins and I am not liking this latest development.

I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.

But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. Or maybe it wasn't us and OU but the TV execs who just decided "No we are not going to pay for the Big 12, break that shit up right now and give us our super conferences" and we had no choice. Who knows? Well somebody does, but not me.

I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.

I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.

It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.

And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On any (real) political hurdles.  Worth pointing out:

"In the early 1980s, state appropriations provided more than 40% of the University of Oklahoma’s operating budget. Today, the state pays for roughly 10% of the Norman campus’ budget."   - Link

Won't pretend to understand higher education funding / legality of all of this but what other levers would OSU be able to pull?  Obviously can sue for damages in event OU/UT bolt before end of Big 12 TV deal in 2025 but seems like that gets settled anyways.  But purely threatening to cut state appropriations doesn't seem like it really has that much teeth.  Anything I'm missing here?

Texas feels different in sense that you'd have Tech, Baylor and TCU all bitching but obviously Tech is the only public institution in that equation.  And together can they rally any credible political opposition?  Worth pointing out 11% of UT operating budget comes from state funds appropriated by legislature and another 12% from the PUF but (I could be wrong) I don't see how that could even be touched or threatened in some kind of threat. Link

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, wondering why Vandy is still in the SEC as well...

Each conference wants one private school to exempt them from the open records act. Every other SEC school is a state school of some sort. Also, Vandy is like Flounder. They've been there forever, lose games to pad the stats for the rest of the conference, and don't make any waves. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Too bad this decision will be made before there is enough members for there to be a quorum. 

Also, isn't a special session limited to the topics specified in the special session?  So to address this issue, it could not be done unless Abbott called another special session on the issue?  Otherwise the lege does not meet until 2023?

You're literally the wealthiest program in the game right now.
I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago.  
That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.
AI: every one of your comments on this in the last few days have been reasonable, logical, and on point. You ain't wrong.

You've been on this board for years...that counts for a lot.

The impact on ISU, the Big 12, all of CFB, and many communities will be huge. It doesn't matter if we didn't leave before... We don't deserve any credit for not leaving in the past. It's also bullshit to say we should burn this place down and fuck everyone because they didn't thank us for not leaving. That's insane...and exactly why we collectively have the reputation we do.

If these rumors are true, we are the ones leaving, and apparently, leading the charge.

The main reason I feel like this is real, is because I feel real shitty about the rest of the league, and I've never really cared before.

AI is right... OSU and MU would smartly stay where they are and dominate. Doing the same was our collective best course of action hours ago. But we are all apparently chanting SEC to ourselves while swearing we never will do so in person.

I know the landscape is changing and we have always lived on the fault line, I know we have to do what's best for us, and other that the fear of the worst case decades of not winning like Arky and SC, I think the SEC would be a smart move.

But damn that will really impact the 8. And those 8 have been good partners, and most have got a bit of scoreboard on us recently.

But but but... We're Texas... Fuck 'em all.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Just now, Richard Kimball said:

Each conference wants one private school to exempt them from the open records act. Every other SEC school is a state school of some sort. Also, Vandy is like Flounder. They've been there forever, lose games to pad the stats for the rest of the conference, and don't make any waves. 

And they play baseball and up the academic profile

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Of course I have not followed this thread throughout the night like most of you, but the one thing I keep coming back to is- the Texas brand is the single biggest brand in the Big 12 and it's not close.  OU does not carry the national brand the way Texas does.  BUT, if Texas moves to the SEC, it becomes one of a cadre of national brands.  It no longer stands above the rest.  Sure, the overall water level is higher, but Texas is just one of many.  Of course it would still be in the upper echelon of brands in the conference, upper upper, but seems like there is a lot to be lost.  

Now if you joined the P12...

spacer.png

Dude, you know I love you. I love the thought of Pac 12 road games. But you guys aren't serious about football and sadly the Pac 12 is a football afterthought. Sure, we could help change that but the power is east, not west. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Of course I have not followed this thread throughout the night like most of you, but the one thing I keep coming back to is- the Texas brand is the single biggest brand in the Big 12 and it's not close.  OU does not carry the national brand the way Texas does.  BUT, if Texas moves to the SEC, it becomes one of a cadre of national brands.  It no longer stands above the rest.  Sure, the overall water level is higher, but Texas is just one of many.  Of course it would still be in the upper echelon of brands in the conference, upper upper, but seems like there is a lot to be lost.  

Now if you joined the P12...

spacer.png

ha. Texas is not going to get sucked into playing ASU at midnight when the east coast is asleep.  I never believed the Pac12 deal the first time.  It was a pure negotiating ploy.  none of the money guys wanted that.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Transparency like that which Baylor showed as an institution by covering up years of rape and sexual abuse?  That kind of transparency?

I love that this dingleberry is getting ratioed. I'd imagine he'll delete that post by the afternoon. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

If only. Pussy always wins and I am not liking this latest development.

I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.

But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. 

I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.

I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.

It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.

And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.

This is some self defeatist BS and I'm glad the people in charge of this decision don't have this mindset. Texas has more resources than anyone in the nation, the game just changed completely with NIL, and in order to maximize our resources we need to be in the premier college football conference. Saban can't coach forever, we are playing the long game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

ha. Texas is not going to get sucked into playing ASU at midnight when the east coast is asleep.  I never believed the Pac12 deal the first time.  It was a pure negotiating ploy.  none of the money guys wanted that.

The PAC 12 has no money. It was never going to happen, at least not after the 2010 debacle. The Big 12 had bigger payouts than the PAC 12.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

if/when we join the SEC, i can promise you that i will never ever join that cesspool known as secrant.  

I've been watching the forums - @golfclap is slapping down a Miss State hypothesis that Texas is not a national brand. It's really a race to the bottom w/ those folks regarding intellectual capacity. The aggy tears .. my God.. the tears.. It's just too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is  fun to read .....
From the SEC Rant

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/have-some-pride-aggie/97358729/
You honestly think this is about fear of playing Texas? That's not even in the Top 20 of reasons. You don't comprehend just how powerful and evil Texas is and how they operate. They have power across all areas and they use it mercilessly to destroy their competition. They don't see anyone as remotely their equal or partner. You don't realize just how much power A&M had to use to get away from them.

They have a $31 Billion Endowment, more than double all of the rest of the SEC COMBINED minus A&M (ours is $13 Billion). They have more inside control of ESPN, the MSM, and recruiting services than any other school (Hell Bobby Burton who founded Rivals works for them). They have deep connections within the NCAA and the enforcement mechanism of it.

They play dirty on a level most SEC fans can't comprehend and they destroy everything they touch. Just ask Nebraska. And SMU. And Rice. And Houston. Oh, and now they are trying to add Tech, Baylor, TCU, and OSU to their list of dead bodies.

Texas walking in to SEC negotiating table like

giphy.gif
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

This is some self defeatist BS and I'm glad the people in charge of this decision don't have this mindset. Texas has more resources than anyone in the nation, the game just changed completely with NIL, and in order to maximize our resources we need to be in the premier college football conference. Saban can't coach forever, we are playing the long game.

I obviously disagree strongly that we need to be in anybody else's league to succeed. And the grass is always greener. Just hoping around to whatever the flavor of the month is is not a long game. To me it is just reacting to whatever gets a few more million in the short term.

But hey I hope you are right and it all works out. I just feel and think the way I do about it. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

FCB on SEC move

Reveal hidden contents

Four 4-team pods:

Reasons those three will say yes imo

LSU- The impact of a Texas move will far outweigh the peanut research money that will be offered up by Sharp. Secondly Woodward gave Jimbo a $0 buyout for a reason and this would only speed up the process of getting him to LSU. 

Arkansas- At this point who cares about their annual matchup in Jerry World? The series has been dominated by aggy and if Jerry has any say I’d assume he would rather have Arky and Texas playing there once a year (especially when he loses the Big 12 title game). 

Missouri-  This is probably a coin flip but they will be able to better recruit the states left overs and get the players that go to Ok State and TCU because they felt disrespected especially if they end up in the same pod or division and get to play them on a yearly basis. 

14 minutes ago, NYBevo said:

I agree ISU has stepped up to the plate recently. But schools are businesses, they ain't in any of this to make friends. Its all about money and with football, recruiting. How many players have liked UT but said their main goal is to play SEC.

It isn't that no one cares, this was inevitable, its unfortunate others are caught up in it but its business plain and simple.

That's right, it's just the way it is.  Unfortunate, but that's life.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The only negotiating to stay in the Big 12 is to force Fox to pay up on their media deal. Part of this is happening because Fox wouldn't do that last year. 

right.  its just a thought.  my opinion is it doesn't leak if it is not already a done deal.