Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think the current students at A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Missouri, and OU are less like their fanbase too.

Exactly.  With the academic financial incentives at OU, there are likely more national merit scholars enrolled today than were enrolled in the 60s, 70s, and 80s combined.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU has worked really hard to be a good partner over the years.  We've upgraded our facilities, invested heavily in athletics, and were basically just glad to be along for the ride.  We accepted games on the LHN when everyone else made a huge stink about it, for example.

I don't know what else we realistically could have done.

It’s not you.  It’s me.

- Texas

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

The same Finebaum who a few weeks ago had an entire segment dedicated to how Texas was irrelevant in the college football landscape? Fuck that guy. With a face like that he should have stayed in radio.

Well but if we go to the SEC, Finebaum will now say we realize we need to do that be relevant. And he's not entirely wrong. This is a move to keep pace with and then hopefully exceed others in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

The same Finebaum who a few weeks ago had an entire segment dedicated to how Texas was irrelevant in the college football landscape? Fuck that guy. With a face like that he should have stayed in radio.

If it does go down.. I will never watch his show.. ever.. He's an ass. On the SECRANT boards they are all up in arms about Texas and our gameday program on LHN. It would be great if we could keep that.. I don't like it but ... just a finger in the farmers eye is all I ask for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Also just stopping down to mention....we will be back in a conference with the Pirate.  

Fun because he's insane and generally good for content, but not scary anymore. Pretty sure PK has his balls in the back of one of his trophy cases somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Speaking of flipping, this board's opinion of being in the SEC since yesterday afternoon....

I'm in - the farmer tears are just too delicious and addicting. Football is football.. baseball will be great. Basketball (?) no idea. Non revenue sports - Texas will wreck shop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cyatheart said:

100% correct, the writing has been on the wall.  Could not agree more.  That's why ISU built up the stadium, paying our coach 5M, paying assistants 1M.  I mean they built a top ten team the last two years and won the Fiesta Bowl.  Not much more you can do.  Again, I don't think it is anybody's fault, Texas is doing what they should do.  Texas has no responsibility to any university other than themselves.  There is only so much you can do.  It's just reality of being a smaller market team smacking us in the face finally.  But again, the issue that kills us is, so many really crappy teams that did nothing, did not try to compete, and are riding coat tails in EVERY SINGLE CONFERNECE....those teams are in and we are going to be out. 

I am yelling at the wind here.  I get it, nobody cares, I am going through he mourning process for my Cyclones here today, but I live in Austin.  And have come to really like the Longhorns over the years.  And it's a huge bummer.

Move on and embrace it as an opportunity ... I actually have come to like ISU over the years.   I'll be rooting for your all down the road.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. Texas is already an iffy SEC culture fit, and in particular the current students and young alumni profile way closer to UCLA, Cal, Washington, Arizona, and Colorado than aggy, pig, LSU, Missouri, and OU. Bruin is on point with the fan memes. But it’s no contest in terms if revenue and investment in football.

This is 100% true.  It seems like a no-brainer dollar-wise, and a terrible idea culture-wise.  But the more I think about it, if you gotta go conference (a point about which I am even more dubious in the NIL era), there's really no choice and ESPN specifically saw to that over the last decade.

I guess we can be the conference's Berkeley from a campus standpoint

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Speaking of flipping, this board's opinion of being in the SEC since yesterday afternoon....

following their lying bullshit when they fled i never wanted to schedule aggy regularly in football ever again.  get matched in a bowl game, yeah, beat that ass, but fuck them forever for their shit. 

but yesterday i overdosed on aggy tears and now i'm 100% on this move.  can't wait to hear "poooooooooooooooooooor aggy!" raining down from the rafters at DKR Texas Memorial.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU has worked really hard to be a good partner over the years.  We've upgraded our facilities, invested heavily in athletics, and were basically just glad to be along for the ride.  We accepted games on the LHN when everyone else made a huge stink about it, for example.

I don't know what else we realistically could have done.

I think, for the most part, everybody in the Big 12 did their best. We invested and we looked around for any other schools we could find to make the conference competitive, but there just were not any good options.

But it seems to me the issue was that there just wasn't interest to keep the conference competitive moneywise from a TV contract perspective. Especially with all the NIL bullshit going on. So OU and Texas had to admit defeat and leave. That is my most charitable interpretation.

Obviously I think this sucks. I feel like this is also largely our fault for hiring shitty coaches like Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. If we were playing for national titles this wouldn't be happening. We could probably find a big TV partner in that case. I feel bad for all of the rest of you Big 12 fans...except Baylor of course.

It is the new world of College Athletics and I hate it! My old man grumpiness is going crazy. BACK IN MY DAY THINGS WERE BETTER, WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG? 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, runthebone said:

If this happens, he'll flip so fast, it'll make his remaining strand of hair fall off. 

Isn't that human nature? This board has mocked SEC for a long time and aggys "hunert year decision" yet here we are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I look at it like this, the SEC is the best option for realignment for Texas and OU. The Pac 12, while great for road trips, is too far removed from ESPN relevance. The Big 10 is boring. Yes, playing Ohio State and Michigan is great but do we want the others that go along with that. ACC, non-starter for travel for our smaller sports. Staying in the Big 12, nah. It is/was always going to die. So go join the current, reigning best thing and try your hand while giving fans better matchups that can sell tickets and get eyeballs. Plus, recruits want to play in the SEC. There is no denying that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I look at it like this, the SEC is the best option for realignment for Texas and OU. The Pac 12, while great for road trips, is too far removed from ESPN relevance. The Big 10 is boring. Yes, playing Ohio State and Michigan is great but do we want the others that go along with that. ACC, non-starter for travel for our smaller sports. Staying in the Big 12, nah. It is/was always going to die. So go join the current, reigning best thing and try your hand while giving fans better matchups that can sell tickets and get eyeballs. Plus, recruits want to play in the SEC. There is no denying that. 

I agree. It was either going to be stay in the Big 12 or SECSECSEC. All the other options were worse.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Isn't that human nature? This board has mocked SEC for a long time and aggys "hunert year decision" yet here we are.

Exactly.  But many have found the middle ground.  "I'm was against it, but am now for it because it makes aggie posters upset on the internet."

Like that's a valid reason to make a decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I just don't get the horns down thing. It's the very definition of taunting. Either make it a penalty like every other taunt or stop penalizing taunting.

Yup. It's not that horns down bothers us - it's that it's a taunt that isn't called while our players get flagged for doing the "guns down" to Tech or something similar. Just call it evenly. 

Just now, The Dog said:

Yup. It's not that horns down bothers us - it's that it's a taunt that isn't called while our players get flagged for doing the "guns down" to Tech or something similar. Just call it evenly. 

Exactly. If they can taunt us, let us taunt them. Only fair.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I agree. It was either going to be stay in the Big 12 or SECSECSEC. All the other options were worse.

The SEC outmaneuvered everyone for the last 15 years or so. They branded themselves as the only conference that really mattered, made strategic additions and their success in winning most of the National Championships during that span (propped up mostly by Bama) made perception reality. Fortunately for Texas we were always too big to be left behind if the Big 12 didn't work out. Sucks for the rest of the non-OU programs but that's the way it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

ISU talk not going away.....

They are in one of the most interesting spots here. Good fan support, AAU, and the program is currently strong. However not great history and number 2 in a small state. Their plight is really interesting in all this.

10 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Unfortunately NIL was the nail in the coffin for the big12

That's undeniable.  When amateur college athletics became -- without any room for counter-argument -- professional college athletics, we'd be fools not to try to join the first professional college football conference.

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Exactly.  But many have found the middle ground.  "I'm was against it, but am now for it because it makes aggie posters upset on the internet."

Like that's a valid reason to make a decision.

Aggy tears are ALWAYS a valid reason to make a decision.  Always.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1