Popular Singers/Bands You Can't Stand

cabowabo

I clicked on this link to say Dave Matthews and Led Zep.

I'd add several others to the list...Rush and Kiss already mentioned, but more interesting to me are the bands I used to hate that I now like.  CCR, I really hated the affectation on John Fogerty's voice, and it still bugs me, but not like it used to.  Rage Against the Machine was a pretty great band that I hated for reasons I don't even remember.  I do remember why I hated Oasis, and I was wrong to do so, those guys were a great band even though they hated each other.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 10:44 AM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I clicked on this link to say Dave Matthews and Led Zep.

I'd add several others to the list...Rush and Kiss already mentioned, but more interesting to me are the bands I used to hate that I now like.  CCR, I really hated the affectation on John Fogerty's voice, and it still bugs me, but not like it used to.  Rage Against the Machine was a pretty great band that I hated for reasons I don't even remember.  I do remember why I hated Oasis, and I was wrong to do so, those guys were a great band even though they hated each other.

Here is why I hated Oasis:

I'm going to pick nits here, but the title of the thread isn't "bands that I don't like as much as other people" or "bands that I think are overrated." It's Popular Singers/Bands You can't stand.

So someone "can't stand" Led Zeppelin. Really? That's insane.

Regarding the National, they're so fucking boring they fail to inspire extreme feelings about them in either direction. They're a boring band that write music for 30-40 something women. 

Someone can't stand Creedence? You're dumb. Liking Creedence is the barometer I use to determine if  someone is cool and we should drink beers and play Lynyrd Skynyrd super loud.

A band that is inexplicably extremely popular in general and on this website, that I truly can't stand and think absolutely sucks massive dicks is Muse. That band is fucking garbage. If you like Muse, then I know your taste in things is bad and you're not to be trusted.

Fuck it. I'm gonna go listen to some Skynyrd.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm going to pick nits here, but the title of the thread isn't "bands that I don't like as much as other people" or "bands that I think are overrated." It's Popular Singers/Bands You can't stand.

Regarding the National, they're so fucking boring they fail to inspire extreme feelings about them in either direction. They're a boring band that write music for 30-40 something women. 

Someone can't stand Creedence? You're dumb. Liking Creedence is the barometer I use to determine if  someone is cool and we should drink beers and play Lynyrd Skynyrd super loud.

A band that is inexplicably extremely popular in general and on this website, that I truly can't stand and think absolutely sucks massive dicks is Muse. That band is fucking garbage. If you like Muse, then I know your taste in things is bad and you're not to be trusted.

Subscribed.  I need to get my $9.95 back from Surly, and send it to you.

I'd give a hearty fuck you and fare thee well to anyone who admitted they didn't like Credence....

I frequent an arcade/ throwback pinball place that has about 12 songs by The Smiths on jukebox( they list songs album style.)  Every once in a while, some sumbeech will come in there and pick all of the songs in a row.  I feel suicidal by the end of that run.  It's merciless.

“Mission accomplished.” ~ Morrissey

I reluctantly tolerate Morrissey in order to relish in the genius of Johnny Marr. And when I say tolerate I’m being very generous. Rourke and Joyce are also a very underrated rhythm section.

1 hour ago, the idoit said:

I reluctantly tolerate Morrissey in order to relish in the genius of Johnny Marr. And when I say tolerate I’m being very generous. Rourke and Joyce are also a very underrated rhythm section.

This perfectly encapsulates my feelings about The Smiths.  While I don't hate Morrissey, his songwriting and singing completely fail to resonate with me.  But Johnny Marr . . . if I could be great on guitar, he'd make the short list of players I'd like to sound like.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:05 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Was never a big fan, but for whatever reason I can't stand The Police anymore. Immediately change the station whenever they come on. 

I think they were terrific "back in the day" but they didn't age well. 

On 8/6/2018 at 8:02 AM, Mileslong said:

I would like to do the same to you for putting the legendary Neil Young in your list. Jesus christo...you’ve put three of the most talented musicians/bands in history in your list. Who do you like exactly?

Reading this thread has given me a head ache. People hating artists like Neil Young, U2, SRV, The Smiths, The Cure, Springsteen, The Police, Bad Company etc

This is a correct list:

Dave Matthews

Steve Miller

Kansas

Styx

Bon Jovi

Nickelback

Creed

All Bro Country

All Hip Hop

3/4th of all Rap

3/4th of today’s Pop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid post IMO

On 8/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Foo Fighters are generic and terrible.

You're terrible.  You're definitely not generic though. 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, irishtexan said:

It would be interesting to divide this thread between those of us that were/are musicians, vs. not.

I couldn't imagine a guitar player between the ages of 35-60 that didn't learn to play CCR licks over and over and over.  Same with many other bands, but especially CCR. . 
Creedence is very special to me, for that reason.  

• 1 year later...

Bon Jovi is so fucking horrible they're awesome as a comedy ensemble. I heard Runaway a week ago on the radio and somehow got fascinated at how shitty this abortion of cliches was until the end when JBJ tells We Built This City to hold his beer and launches his Dare To Dream vocals into strange new worlds of shittiness that theoretically shouldn't exist.

• Like 2

I completely agree on Bon Jovi.  I would add just about all of the grunge bands from the early 90's including Pearl Jam, Metallica, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc.   They may have each had a few songs that were ok, but I'd be ok if I never heard another "grunge" song for the rest of my life.  The one exemption to that list would be Stone Temple Pilots.  I always liked them and still do. I'd also include just baout ever country song made of 1995 or so.  Bro country is what is going to be the end of humanity. 

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I completely agree on Bon Jovi.  I would add just about all of the grunge bands from the early 90's including Pearl Jam, Metallica, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc.   They may have each had a few songs that were ok, but I'd be ok if I never heard another "grunge" song for the rest of my life.  The one exemption to that list would be Stone Temple Pilots.  I always liked them and still do. I'd also include just baout ever country song made of 1995 or so.  Bro country is what is going to be the end of humanity. 

You don't deserve to hear Layne Staley or Chris Cornell.  

• Like 1

Elvis Costello - I would love to smash his stupid fucking face in 
Steely Dan
Prince
Neil Young 

Ok with this list though I have grown to tolerate Neil Young. I really like one or two Prince songs.

I’ll submit Phish and Widespread Panic if they qualify as “popular.”

On 6/2/2018 at 3:05 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Was never a big fan, but for whatever reason I can't stand The Police anymore. Immediately change the station whenever they come on. 

Growing tired of and "can't stand" to me a pretty different.  I guess there is the same effect - you don't listen to the stuff.

It's also interesting in that I never "change the station" because I don't really listen to stations any more.  Short of skipping a random song on spotify, etc., I bet very few people these days are forced to listen to anything they are tired of or hate, unless they are listening to someone else's music. 

My wife forces Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood upon me when we drive on 35.  And they are talented enough to make it tolerable.

Hanging your hat on STP is the equivalent of arguing Nickelback is the greatest rock band of the 21st century.
  • Like 1

Dave Matthews - No explanation needed

Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl post-There Is Nothing Left To Lose - I liked early Foo Fighters but lately he's become one of those annoying "I'm going to do zany stuff that goes viral!" people.

Taylor Swift - She seems like an irritating bitch and then we all had to act like the cover album of her shit that Ryan Adams made to get in her pants was Serious Art.

• Like 1