CCR documentary in the works...narrated by a fella they call The Dude.

Gil Bang

I feel pretty comfortable being the polar opposite of JJ when it comes to music.  At any rate, CCR was my father's favorite band from what Ive been told so I'm looking forward to this.

I'm sure there is something quite comforting about going to a show knowing exactly what you are going to hear and that it will sound exactly like it does on the album.  It must be fantastic to be a fan of a band that will sound exactly the same from city to city. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

I'm sure there is something quite comforting about going to a show knowing exactly what you are going to hear and that it will sound exactly like it does on the album. 

That doesn't enter into my love (or lack thereof) for any band.  All I'm saying is that The Grateful Dead suck balls.

But, as always, it's a big world out there, and I'm glad they made so many people happy.  Plus, all the other concerts generally smelled better given the concentration of Deadheads at . . . Dead shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:20 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

I love the Grateful Dead, but the greatest American rock band is Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

Co-signed.  CCR is in the mix though.

My American Top 5 would probably be

1) Petty & the Heartbreakers

2) Skynyrd (I don't recognize the modern iteration)

3) CCR

4) The Dead

5) Pearl Jam

On 5/2/2022 at 11:16 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

3) CCR

4) The Dead

5) Pearl Jam

I agree with the bolded part 100%.  It's a crime  that those jerkoffs are using that name. 

On 5/2/2022 at 1:16 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

3) CCR

4) The Dead

5) Pearl Jam

We all know it's Jackyl.

• 5 months later...

Watching this now, they are cliche in a lot of contexts now but hot fucking damn their music is as good as any music you can find.  I do think they are on the list as greatest US band ever, probably with the Beach Boys, TP, and a few others.  Proud Mary, good lord. Their rendition of the night time is the right time …. Ahhhhh. Midnight special gives me chills. The list just goes on. Watching clips of them jam live, what I would give to be at one of their shows back then.  The thing is they fucking jammed. Brought it hard. Beatles are great, iconic, inventive, but damn CCR is a sound my soul pats it’s feet to. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

More people listing top all time great rock bands need to review Grand Funk Railroads catalog, and celebrate it. So massively and criminally underappreciated for being such a huge, ground-breaking band that they were. And Mark Farner's old ass can still fn' bring it. Where is their documentary? It needs to exist.

Closer To Home is likely the number 1 greatest American rock song over 6 minutes long.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol.

I like Grand Funk but that is a bit much. And In A Gadda Da Vida is like 10 times the song as Closer to Home. Not even getting into Free Bird, Hotel California and Purple Rain.

Mark Farner definitely had America's greatest skullet though. And when he became a born again and brought his son out on the road with them, and Don Brewer proceeded to get the kid fucked up six ways from Sunday and got him to bang groupies is still possibly the funniest thing that's ever happened in rock music.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say the video for “American Band” is probably the best video by an American band ‘Murcaing of all Murcan time.

I mean there’s canoes and fishing and water skiing and 70s Afros and bare chested basketball. So much going on here.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

55 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say the video for “American Band” is probably the best video by an American band ‘Murcaing of all Murcan time.

I mean there’s canoes and fishing and water skiing and 70s Afros and bare chested basketball. So much going on here.

Them riding dirt bikes is epic

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, G650 said:

Lol.

I like Grand Funk but that is a bit much. And In A Gadda Da Vida is like 10 times the song as Closer to Home. Not even getting into Free Bird, Hotel California and Purple Rain.

Mark Farner definitely had America's greatest skullet though. And when he became a born again and brought his son out on the road with them, and Don Brewer proceeded to get the kid fucked up six ways from Sunday and got him to bang groupies is still possibly the funniest thing that's ever happened in rock music.

On the first paragraph, Free Bird is way overrated until they get to the jam part, which makes the song. Iron Butterfly is another interesting band that probably deserves some kind of documentary, definitely some weirdness surrounding them. In A Gadda Da Vida is only great if you're completely stoned, which kind of follows the Graetful Dead thing.

On the second paragraph, all the more reason that they would make for such a great documentary. Plus, their manager bilked the band out of millions and many years later  was murdered by his daughter's dirtbag boyfriend. Farner has been trying to get a reunion with the original band for ages but they aren't talking. When they were on the verge of breaking up the first time, Frank Zappa was such a fan he told them they couldn't do it, and made a deal with them to produce their next album and give it one more try. It was a fucking awesome album, and Frank played a guitar solo on the first track.

They are known for a handful of hit songs, but had a really deep catalog. They were so underrated I didn't even realize how badass they were until a few years ago when I started digging deeper and listening to a lot more stuff. 

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

There could not be a video that more closely aligns to my high school years, and in particular, the motorcyles in the fields aspect.  No shirt, no helmet, way too much testosterone.  Yeah, mama.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

Farner has been trying to get a reunion with the original band for ages but they aren't talking.

Yeah because Farner is a total lunatic.

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

They were so underrated I didn't even realize how badass they were until a few years ago when I started digging deeper and listening to a lot more stuff. 

I mean, I'm pumped you did, I've been a Grand Funk fan for ages. They were great, I think they kinda got shafted by their timing a bit with the Stones and then Zep, and then various record company shenanigans and personal issues. After Farner became a born again, you can basically close the book on them though.

I also don't think Closer to Home is really one of their best songs. American Band, Shinin On and their cover of Gimme Shelter are all way better. I don't even think Closer to Home is best song in that whole nautical theme genre, Ride Captain Ride and Brandy both blow it away.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There could not be a video that more closely aligns to my high school years, and in particular, the motorcyles in the fields aspect.  No shirt, no helmet, way too much testosterone.  Yeah, mama.

So much this.

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I'm pumped you did, I've been a Grand Funk fan for ages. They were great, I think they kinda got shafted by their timing a bit with the Stones and then Zep, and then various record company shenanigans and personal issues. After Farner became a born again, you can basically close the book on them though.

This part is true. It's hard to get past the critics and star-makers in the entertainment machine you aren't a satan worshiping communist or something. You pretty much get blackballed.

I just like music for the music. If it sounds great, I dig it, whether it's from a satan-worshipping commie hypocrite or a Bible-thumping a-hole hypocrite. I don't get a lot of value from living by the lyrics of delusional narcissists that have a reasonable odds of being dead from self-inflicted abuse by the age of 30. 

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

I just like music for the music. If it sounds great, I dig it, whether it's from a satan-worshipping commie hypocrite or a Bible-thumping a-hole hypocrite. I don't get a lot of value from living by the lyrics of delusional narcissists that have a reasonable odds of being dead from self-inflicted abuse by the age of 30. 

Um, sure.

My only point was that since Farner became born again he turned into an insufferable prick the other guys don't want to talk to so they are not getting back together.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Um, sure.

My only point was that since Farner became born again he turned into an insufferable prick the other guys don't want to talk to so they are not getting back together.

OK. My only point was that Grand Funk should be considered in that discussion of greatest American bands, most of which, if not all, are composed of assholes that don't really care much about any of us.