Naomi Judd...

Longhornstampede

Passed away today. She was 76..curious statement from the daughters. Sad if she took her own life for some reason.

“Today we sisters experienced a tragedy. We lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness,” the statement said. “We are shattered. We are navigating profound grief and know that as we loved her, she was loved by her public. We are in unknown territory.”

Naomi Judd was of course beautiful but yes she had issues.  She had a rough childhood and was abused.  She also went through abuse with her husband, had to raise 2 kids... and finally got a contract because she moved to L.A. with her girls to get them in nursing... and one of Wynona's patients had a father in the record industry.  She finally got him to listen and that was that.

But I think her early abuse (as a toddler) messed her up beyond her abilty to clear it.  Add to that her constant tensions with her daughters, and you have the portrait of someone who after the lights went off was hugely troubled (she freely has admitted all of this)... weeks without going outside, dirty, unkempt, barely able to get up and eat just to fend off starvation.  She struggled for decades with just not trying to kill herself, day by day.  We really don't know the depth of her illness.

So it's unsurprising, but at least they had the huge success for 15 years.  

I can't imagine having to live with those demons day after day for a lifetime.  RIP, finally.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not a big country music fan, but I was always impressed with the way Naomi let Wynona take the lead.  Wynona was the mega-talent, Naomi was good enough to hang with her, and she played the part perfectly.

Naomi Judd was of course beautiful but yes she had issues.  She had a rough childhood and was abused.  She also went through abuse with her husband, had to raise 2 kids... and finally got a contract because she moved to L.A. with her girls to get them in nursing... and one of Wynona's patients had a father in the record industry.  She finally got him to listen and that was that.

But I think her early abuse (as a toddler) messed her up beyond her abilty to clear it.  Add to that her constant tensions with her daughters, and you have the portrait of someone who after the lights went off was hugely troubled (she freely has admitted all of this)... weeks without going outside, dirty, unkempt, barely able to get up and eat just to fend off starvation.  She struggled for decades with just not trying to kill herself, day by day.  We really don't know the depth of her illness.

So it's unsurprising, but at least they had the huge success for 15 years.  

I can't imagine having to live with those demons day after day for a lifetime.  RIP, finally.

Naomi abused her daughters pretty badly too. Ashley especially.
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Cocaine and Rhinestones, but you know that.

Bing-fucking-o.

That episode definitely paints Naomi as manipulative and abusive to almost everyone in her life.  You just kinda feel awful for Wynona (and Ashley) at the end of it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

My mom would jam the Judds in the 80s so I grew up a big fan.  Will still rock their shit.  Always saw Naomi as a cougar.  

Sidenote - Ashley Judd has FUBAR'D her face and it as almost as sad as Naomi's passing 

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

My mom would jam the Judds in the 80s so I grew up a big fan.  Will still rock their shit.  Always saw Naomi as a cougar.  

Sidenote - Ashley Judd has FUBAR'D her face and it as almost as sad as Naomi's passing 

Naomi was a babe in her day.

56e9e5c61e000087007046c2.jpeg?ops=scalef

This is probably from the era of when she was getting on to the Hag's tour bus.

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Naomi abused her daughters pretty badly too. Ashley especially.

Oh, sure, but as usual the abused becomes the abuser.  Kentucky hillbilly shit and all, but I still felt sorry for her.

I guess her scorecard is neutral, as if not for her, her two kids would probably be nurses somewhere in SoCal.

Wait a minute... maybe that wouldn't have been so bad compared to now.

I don't think Naomi was that talented, but she was super smart business wise and a dogged agent/manager.  She saw that her daughter was an immense talent (which she is) and from what I understand, went along on the ride to push the introverted Wynona to find her brilliance - if not for Naomi, Wynona almost certainly would never have refined herself and seen a worldwide stage.  She also kept her on the up and up.  The Judds weren't high on my list although they had some catchy songs.  But Wynona is deservedly a superstar (even if she looks like a linebacker) - amazing voice and style.

As for Ashley - what a freakin' mess.  But that's another story.

Anyway, always sad to see that someone's life was a steaming mess, and that they were in that spiral that runs over generations.

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Oh, sure, but as usual the abused becomes the abuser.  Kentucky hillbilly shit and all, but I still felt sorry for her.

I guess her scorecard is neutral, as if not for her, her two kids would probably be nurses somewhere in SoCal.

Wait a minute... maybe that wouldn't have been so bad compared to now.

I don't think Naomi was that talented, but she was super smart business wise and a dogged agent/manager.  She saw that her daughter was an immense talent (which she is) and from what I understand, went along on the ride to push the introverted Wynona to find her brilliance - if not for Naomi, Wynona almost certainly would never have refined herself and seen a worldwide stage.  She also kept her on the up and up.  The Judds weren't high on my list although they had some catchy songs.  But Wynona is deservedly a superstar (even if she looks like a linebacker) - amazing voice and style.

As for Ashley - what a freakin' mess.  But that's another story.

Anyway, always sad to see that someone's life was a steaming mess, and that they were in that spiral that runs over generations.

100%.  People are complex and rarely simply good or bad.

Naomi had a shit ton of drive and vision.  That's undeniable.

I'm not a big country music fan, but I was always impressed with the way Naomi let Wynona take the lead.  Wynona was the mega-talent, Naomi was good enough to hang with her, and she played the part perfectly.

Agreed and I would argue that it’s much harder than you get credit for to know how/when to layback and how/when to come in with just the right harmony to compliment the star. The belter gets the credit but the magic is in the support.

And a damn tragedy. All the way around. Some great songs though.

When I saw this, I thought, "Well, headed back to rehab".   She was obviously under the influence of something.  Really sad.  
And what she put Ashley through.....wow.   She was pretty much left to raise herself while Naomi dragged Wynona all over the country.  

https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/naomi-judd-praised-healing-power-of-country-music-in-final-interview-exclusive-183326

• 2 weeks later...