Your favorite saxophone riffs

South Austin

You have to wait to the end, but almost perfect placement in service of the song.

Starts off as almost a comic ditty about a serotonin addict with bombastic 80s synth blasts and Casio drum loops and slowly morphs into a bittersweet eulogy of a failed relationship with a wistful breezy Summer Wind of outro sax. 

Laggin' ass internet

Get ready to have some fun
Alright here we go
Five, four three, two, and one
Are you ready to work out?
Don't take it the wrong way
I can never keep up
Sick of liking your selfies
Should've gone with my gut
Maybe I'm in a movie
Maybe I'm out to lunch
But I'm constantly swiping it, tapping
It's not that relaxing
I need a new routine
The only reason we never worked out was
He didn't work out
(He's trying)
(She works out too much)
He didn't work out enough
(He's trying)
Let's move on to the next step
Step, touch, step, touch
Come on
Get on your hands and knees
Ready? Here we go
Welcome to the shitshow
Grab a comfortable seat
Find me in the front row
Listening to music
Anyone can see
He didn't work out
(He's trying)
(She works out too much)
(She works out too much and)
Remember to drink a glass of water before and after your workout (he's trying)
Form and shake
Stick with it
Here we go!
I'm going off the deep end
Time to let myself go
Nothing's ever as easy as when
It never begins
The end is just a dream
He didn't work out
(He's trying)
(She works out too much)
(He's trying)
(She works out too much)
He didn't work out
(He's trying)
(She works out too much)
(He's trying)
(She works out too much)
We didn't work out, it never works out
No, it never works out
She works out too much
No, I never work out (she works out too much)
It didn't work out
No, it never works out
Okay, we're done

On 5/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, South Austin said:

Shit, can’t believe I forgot this one. I saw him live a few years ago and he ended the show with this song.

I have had it written down from a long time ago to end my funeral with this. When I saw him in Austin a few years back this was the closer and I cried like a baby.

13 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I have had it written down from a long time ago to end my funeral with this. When I saw him in Austin a few years back this was the closer and I cried like a baby.

If that was at Moody Theater, I was probably at that show.

8 hours ago, TexPx said:

Morphine was a pretty cool band.
(RIP Mark Sandman, died on stage in 1999.)

Morphine was an awesome band!

First, let me thank you for posting that video. I never saw that before. That was excellent.

Second, if you look back through this thread then you’ll see where I mentioned that every Morphine song could be mentioned here. How could anyone be more original than forming a band around drums, sax, and two-string slide bass? In that video, it started out with Honey White where Dana Colley was playing two saxes at once in the style of Rahsaan Roland Kirk (whom I also posted about before) and I shouted out “Yes!” when Dana acknowledged Kirk as his inspiration during the interview.

Mark Sandman was a genius, a warrior poet, and he left us way too soon. That broke my heart. We missed out on a lot of great music. I own all the Morphine albums, 10 discs including EP’s, a handful of live bootlegs, and saw them in concert several times. They were amazing.

RIP Mark. What a tragic loss.

This probably isn’t the place to talk about what a genius Mark Sandman was, or how awesome Morphine shows were, or how Mark delivered poetry through an old 50’s microphone, or how they didn’t do encores but just kept playing for 45 minutes after they said the show was over.

So anyway...

This was the hook: 

And here’s a live version:

Spoiler

“I propose a toast to my self control. You see it crawling helpless on the floor.”

Brilliant.

Okay, that was the only title track I’m going to post. From Yes, and since this a thread about sax riffs, I’ll go with Free Love:

Then we move on to Like Swimming. Instead of the title track, which is great, or Empty Box which has excellent lyrics (and is a good showcase for Sandman’s “tritar” where he added a third string to his two-string slide bass). I’ll go with French Fries With Pepper:

And I’ll cap this post off with this, not because it has much to do with Colley’s sax, but it just makes me so sad about the loss of Mark Sandman and all of his great music that we never got to hear him create. He was cut down in his prime  Every show I saw was in a packed house and yet it doesn’t seem like most people know about them  

• Like 2

As a former sax player you all have picked a lot of great ones.  I will add this live performance by Spyro Gyra at the Newport Jazz Festival from 1985.  Jay Beckenstein kills it especially at the solo at the very end of the song.  Also, the dude on the vibes has some of the best solos you will ever hear.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

As a former sax player you all have picked a lot of great ones.  I will add this live performance by Spyro Gyra at the Newport Jazz Festival from 1985.  Jay Beckenstein kills it especially at the solo at the very end of the song.  Also, the dude on the vibes has some of the best solos you will ever hear.

I came close to posting that exact song, but the album version. They were my introduction to “jazz.” I bought a couple of there albums, including Morning Dance, when I was in high school. I saw them in concert in probably late ‘85 or early ‘86. I’ve searched for past tour dates but haven’t come up with anything. Back then I just kept all my ticket stubs in my wallet. Then I lost my wallet. So I have no stubs from before that time.

In ‘87 I saw my first Dead show and that led me to getting exposed to Coltrane and Miles and classical jazz. Monk and Mingus and so on. Did you know that Jerry Garcia played with Vince Guaraldi?

http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2013/03/summer-1972-pierce-street-annex-san.html?m=1

Bill Graham actually booked Miles Davis to open for the Dead. And Jerry Garcia was basically a banjo player who took up the electric guitar because he saw the success of the Beatles but he really wanted to be John Coltrane.

But that’s beside the point. Back to smooth jazz Spyro Gyra. Whenever it was that I saw them in concert, it was back when BW-3 still had just one store. Spyro Gyra is from Buffalo. After the show my friends and I went to get wings at BW-3 and saw the band doing the same. I grabbed a takeout menu and got the band members to sign it.

At some point in time, after I got rid of my Spyro Gyra records, I threw that menu away. I regret doing that. Not because I wish I still had the autographs of the members of Spyro Gyra. But because I wish I still had an original BW-3 menu.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I came close to posting that exact song, but the album version. They were my introduction to “jazz.”

I'm in this video, but I won't tell you where.  It was our drum solo in 1982 based on some Spyro Gyra riffs:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This video is where it’s at.

As much as I love this video and the way the cigarette-smoke-infested velour upholstery no doubt captures and crystalizes the singular stench that is the fabric of the tapestry of my youth, sadly this version does not capitalize upon the exquisite saxophone riffy deliciousness of the version that i posted.  More's the pity.

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

As much as I love this video and the way the cigarette-smoke-infested velour upholstery no doubt captures and crystalizes the singular stench that is the fabric of the tapestry of my youth, sadly this version does not capitalize upon the exquisite saxophone riffy deliciousness of the version that i posted.  More's the pity.

You wear corduroy pants.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my favorites

King Curtis, True Love Ways, Buddy Holly

Junior Walker, What Does it Take, Junior Walker and the AllStars

Grover Washington, Jr, Just the Two of Us, Bill Withers

Dick Parry, Money, Pink Floyd

Phil Woods, Just the Way You Are, Billy Joel

Paul Desmond, Take Five, Dave Brubeck Quartet. Holy cow what a take. This was my bridge to serious jazz like Charlie Parker and Coltrane.

As far as sax players, I was in the stereo biz in the early 80’s and smooth jazz was the best demo material then.

Grover Washington Jr. Winelight. This album made me a ton of money

Spyrogyra. Morning Dance. Ditto.

Dave Sanborn.