Roe v Wade to be overturned

UTGrad98

55 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm in a weird position I didn't think would happen years ago, but here we are.  My wife and I decided to try for kids back in 2016/17, and spent at least a year trying for kids naturally, but we never got lucky with it.  We ended up having to do IVF, in which we got 3 viable embryos and 1 unstable one that couldn't be tested.  We did 2 frozen embryo transfers, and both worked perfectly (3 year old boy and 1 year old girl now). Couldn't ask for anything more, we got our two kids and are very happy with them.  

Well, we didn't intend to have more than 2 kids, but you can't exactly choose how many embryos will actually fertilize, grow for a week and not have significant genetic defects, nor can you choose whether or not the transfer is successful (the more you have, the better odds, some people get a dozen). So we still have the other 2 in the freezer at the fertility clinic, and didn't want to make a decision on what to do with them for some time.  $50 a month is a cheap storage fee, and worth it just in case we change our minds. 

Well, here comes the government overreach, going way beyond abortions and gunning for IVF, embryos, etc etc. You know it's going to happen, just a matter of time. I told my wife when I heard the Alito opinion leaked, that we need to make a decision on these 2 embryos ASAP before we get into a liability situation or end up paying to store them for eternity. Neither one of us could see donating them, because we don't want someone else to raise our kid. So it's either take the risk of keeping them and hope they don't apply Murder charges for donating them to science down the road, destroy them now to avoid the issue, or be forced to donate them to someone else if the State decides.

So we are likely going to make the decision to donate them to science and avoid the issue down the line, but man that feels super shitty to do. Fuck these dumbass Republicans and their bullshit agenda. This is not a situation that the state should be involved in. 

Put the brakes on man.

You can transport them to an out of state fertility clinic that’s women friendly (Dem). I work for a fertility benefits company and you’d be surprised how many companies are reaching out right now for Travel reimbursements related to reproductive health/trans conforming care/rural growth options in unfriendly states

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Put the brakes on man.

You can transport them to an out of state fertility clinic that’s women friendly (Dem). I work for a fertility benefits company and you’d be surprised how many companies are reaching out right now for Travel reimbursements related to reproductive health/trans conforming care/rural growth options in unfriendly states

Really?  They did not give us the option when we talked to the clinic. We didn't ask, but we didn't know to ask either.  I'll have to check next week, but I still don't trust Texas to not make it a crime to transport embryos for the purpose of anything other than implantation.  Guess we gotta get them out sooner rather than later. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:26 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Manchin gets a lot of shit for his obvious manipulation, but if he ever retires, there is a 99% chance that West Virginia seat turns Red forever. 

It's already red. 

Manchin is  not liberal at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Satchel said:

Pro birthers, are all of the “at the time of conception” children gestating in the wombs in migrant women on this side of the border, American?

It’s only “at the time of conception/fertilization” when it suits them. Besides, you know they’re against birthright citizenship regardless of how you define when life begins.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Really?  They did not give us the option when we talked to the clinic. We didn't ask, but we didn't know to ask either.  I'll have to check next week, but I still don't trust Texas to not make it a crime to transport embryos for the purpose of anything other than implantation.  Guess we gotta get them out sooner rather than later. 

Are you sure they are actually being stored in Texas? I'm pretty sure ours are all in Colorado or NM. 

Worth a read to show that Alito's contention that "a right to abortion is not deeply rooted in the nation's histories and traditions" may very well be very wrong.

Benjamin Franklin gave instructions on at-home abortions in a book in the 1700s.
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/1099542962/abortion-ben-franklin-roe-wade-supreme-court-leak

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

there are also 'instructions' in the Bible, which i learned about on Surly.

Pretty shitty instructions, too:

1. Think one of your wives cheated on you while you were away? Come on down to the church!

2. See the potion that the priest just made out of water, floor dust, and wet ink from the prayer he just wrote down on paper and squeezed into the goblet? Tell that bitch to drink it!

3. If she didn’t cheat, nothing happens. If she did cheat but isn’t pregnant, nothing happens. If she did cheat and got pregnant, you win the game!!! The womb discharges and she’ll never get pregnant again!!! Because, you know, temple water mixed with dust and ink can tell if a fetus belongs to its moms husband or not…

Edited by hpslugga
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

If she did cheat but isn’t pregnant, nothing happens.

That’s incorrect. If she committed adultery then her uterus drops and she’s rendered infertile for life whether she’s pregnant or not. If she’s pregnant then of course the fetus dies. But the casting of the spell is to determine whether or not she’s guilty of adultery. That’s the big sin.

Of course in the New Testament, in the story where a woman is caught in the act of adultery and brought before Jesus before she could be stoned to death, as the scripture prescribed, and Jesus said, ‘Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone’ (paraphrasing), the man with whom she was adultering got off scot free.

It was okay for priests and rabbis and kings to have concubines. (King David sure got around.) But a woman cheating on her man was serious business.

It’s almost like there’s been a double standard in place for thousands of years. 

Few things:

1.  Never thought Roe V Wade would be overturned. It still might not be.  It's a fool's errand, the overturning that is.  That being said, abortion will remain legal in much of the land.  It's not just going to wiped out.

2. I do feel it's a deliberate attempt to galvanize the left in the face of upcoming elections  to answer for horrific judgment and results on other every day issues.  Yeah Alito, but he's not the one who leaked it.

3. The demonstrations at the judges' homes are wrong. Take your stand on public areas, and no, that shouldn't include the streets by their domiciles. If i'm a judge and make any public statement at all, I'm telling folks if they fuck with me, there's zero chance I am reconsidering that opinion.

4. I am anti-abortion, but I believe it should be legal, mostly due to the wide variance of belief in "when life begins." I feel like if I don't believe it's right, that I shouldn't have one( or my partner.)  While a very significant part of my inner belief wants to stand up for the unborn and be their voice; I do respect the( current) legality and choice of the woman to her convictions.   Basically, if you disagree with abortion, don't have one; but I don't to tell someone else what to do.  

5. I don't think anyone is 100% right on this issue.  The law doesn't define morality in this case. 

There’s a 50% chance it was Alito who leaked it (or one of his clerks at his direction) and a 50% chance it was Thomas (or Ginni or one of his clerks at his direction). The conservatives on the court can’t stop leaking to the media about this case and they’re basically outright saying they’re doing it in part to embarrass Roberts because he betrayed them when he flipped his vote on Obamacare. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and ACB weren’t on the Court then.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Abortion should be legal, up to a certain point in the pregnancy. However, I will say that if you terminate a pregnancy in the last trimester (outside of serious health problems for the mother if the pregnancy continues) you are a grotesque, disgusting, immoral piece of shit that deserves nothing but pain and suffering in life. 

48 minutes ago, slorch said:

Few things:

1.  Never thought Roe V Wade would be overturned. It still might not be.  It's a fool's errand, the overturning that is.  That being said, abortion will remain legal in much of the land.  It's not just going to wiped out.

2. I do feel it's a deliberate attempt to galvanize the left in the face of upcoming elections  to answer for horrific judgment and results on other every day issues.  Yeah Alito, but he's not the one who leaked it.

3. The demonstrations at the judges' homes are wrong. Take your stand on public areas, and no, that shouldn't include the streets by their domiciles. If i'm a judge and make any public statement at all, I'm telling folks if they fuck with me, there's zero chance I am reconsidering that opinion.

4. I am anti-abortion, but I believe it should be legal, mostly due to the wide variance of belief in "when life begins." I feel like if I don't believe it's right, that I shouldn't have one( or my partner.)  While a very significant part of my inner belief wants to stand up for the unborn and be their voice; I do respect the( current) legality and choice of the woman to her convictions.   Basically, if you disagree with abortion, don't have one; but I don't to tell someone else what to do.  

5. I don't think anyone is 100% right on this issue.  The law doesn't define morality in this case. 

As Brisket would say, "oh you sweet summer child".  Republicans in every single state will be working to make banning abortion the law of the land.  And, because Dems have zero balls, they'll succeed. 

I really feel for women.  They're about to get pushed back into the 19th century. 

And the Supremes can go fuck themselves.  I hope there's a crowd outside their homes 24/7.  Make their lives a living hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

However, I will say that if you terminate a pregnancy in the last trimester (outside of serious health problems for the mother if the pregnancy continues) you are a grotesque, disgusting, immoral piece of shit that deserves nothing but pain and suffering in life. 

Nobody does that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Abortion should be legal, up to a certain point in the pregnancy. However, I will say that if you terminate a pregnancy in the last trimester (outside of serious health problems for the mother if the pregnancy continues) you are a grotesque, disgusting, immoral piece of shit that deserves nothing but pain and suffering in life. 

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that, in Texas, ONLY 0.5% of all abortions occurred in the SECOND HALF of pregnancy in 2019. Nationally, that figure was 1.0%. Based on those facts, it seems your hypothetical of a non-medical emergency abortion in the last trimester is vanishingly rare.

By contrast, 93.1% of Texas abortions occurred in the first trimester, compared to 92.7% nationally.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/ss/ss7009a1.htm#T10_down

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that, in Texas, ONLY 0.5% of all abortions occurred in the SECOND HALF of pregnancy in 2019. Nationally, that figure was 1.0%. Based on those facts, it seems your hypothetical of a non-medical emergency abortion in the last trimester is vanishingly rare.
By contrast, 93.1% of Texas abortions occurred in the first trimester, compared to 92.7% nationally.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/ss/ss7009a1.htm#T10_down

It’s almost like it’s about subjugating women, huh?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s almost like it’s about subjugating women, huh?

It really isn't.  And that's the problem.  The pro choice people think pro lifers want to subjugate women and the pro lifers think pro choicers support murdering babies.  So the sides talk past each other.

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Neither side can convince the other.

I don't give a tinker's damn what you think "your side" believes.  I see it with my own eyes.  It is almost all about subjugating women and propping up a declining white patriarchy.  (I say "almost" because a small faction actually believes abortion is murder.  The overwhelming majority doesn't give a shit about the zygote/embryo/fetus/child, and don't try to tell us otherwise.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Few things:

Wrt point 3... didn't the court say protesting outside the homes and clinics of doctors who provide care was legal?  

Didn't this court say that it's legal to place a shitload of hurdles up before a woman can have an abortion? 

Isn't this court a disingenuous piece of shit thanks to fucking dumbass political right wing fucking originalist judges who think we're still living in the 1700's?

fuck these judges.  Fuck them straight to hell. They should never rest peacefully again.  These originalist cocksuckers will prop up slavery, since that's our original sin as a nation. 

fuck them all.  

47 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It really isn't.  And that's the problem.  The pro choice people think pro lifers want to subjugate women and the pro lifers think pro choicers support murdering babies.  So the sides talk past each other.

It's always funny that people who hate welfare, and wic, and other social programs to help young mothers,  are opposed to abortion.  It's like you want to punish them for having sex, then punish them again for having a baby you force them to have. 

You sick,  twisted fucks

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SKJ said:

It's always funny that people who hate welfare, and wic, and other social programs to help young mothers,  are opposed to abortion.  It's like you want to punish them for having sex, then punish them again for having a baby you force them to have. 

You sick,  twisted fucks

I don't oppose wic.  I think it's one of the better programs we have.  

I am against abortions once there is both a heartbeat and brain waves because that's about the best I can figure as when life begins  -- I think that is probably 8-10 weeks. Once life begins that life, in my view, has some rights to be protected and certainly outweighs convenience of the partents. If you need an abortion for convenience because you did not use protection, the protection failed, or you did not avail yourself to Plan B, then get one in the first 10 weeks.

And after that if they cannot afford to raise a child or just don't want it, put it up for adoption.  Or drop it off at a fire station or hospital -- there is a Baby Moses law that allows a parent to do this within first 60 days no questions asked.

Unless it is necessary to protect the mother's life, I do not see why anyone should be getting an abortion after 10 weeks.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the fucking "pro life" party. fuck these assholes. fuck em all.

xosatsauwe091.png

There were two baby formula bills.  Once passed with overwhelming bipartisan support.  This one did not.  The devil is often in the details on these things. Republicans are claiming this $28 million does nothing to address the shortage.

• Fuck You 1

From the article on the right wing aggression in Idaho, here is a lovely quote by Vincent Foxx, a California transplant, and white nationalist:

“We are going to take over this state. We have a great large group of people, and that group is growing. A true, actual right-wing takeover is happening right now in the state of Idaho. And there’s nothing that these people can do about it. So if you’re a legislator here, either get in line, or get out of the way.”

"They’ve accomplished this, in part, by targeting their opponents with frightening cruelty and harassment, embracing a strategy called “confrontational politics,” which has helped drive more moderate officials across the state to resign or retire."  (from the article....)

This doesn't sound very pro-life to be throwing gay people off roofs, it sounds like something to which we should be paying attention. I mean, it's not like violence against homosexuals has never happened before in the history of ever and I'm just fear mongering, right?

“They’re gonna ban sodomy!” he said. “They’re gonna ban gay marriage! They’re gonna throw gays off roofs! Women lose, God wins. Christ wins,” he said, smiling, before adding: “We shall have our theocracy soon.

Link to article, which was also posted yesterday in the GOP thread: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/far-right-idaho_n_628277e2e4b0c84db7282bd6?29e

It is a very long article in the Huff Post, but a good read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am against abortions once there is both a heartbeat and brain waves because that's about the best I can figure as when life begins  -- I think that is probably 8-10 weeks. Once life begins that life, in my view, has some rights to be protected and certainly outweighs convenience of the partents. If you need an abortion for convenience because you did not use protection, the protection failed, or you did not avail yourself to Plan B, then get one in the first 10 weeks.

And after that if they cannot afford to raise a child or just don't want it, put it up for adoption.  Or drop it off at a fire station or hospital -- there is a Baby Moses law that allows a parent to do this within first 60 days no questions asked.

Unless it is necessary to protect the mother's life, I do not see why anyone should be getting an abortion after 10 weeks.

How about this.  How about ALL men, as soon as they have viable swimmers, are given a vasectomy.  It can only be reversed when they and a partner decide to have a child.  

Also, your "belief" isn't in line with the Bible (says life begins at first breath).  Let's see how you like others dictating what you can do with your body.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

While rare, I can. Girls can be quite young when menses begins. A ten or eleven year old girl should not be forced to give birth at that age for a variety of reasons. If that child is pregnant, ten weeks is going to be far too soon to expect her to even realize that condition is present, again for a variety of reasons. And again, it is not as common as other reasons for seeking to terminate a pregnancy, but the no exceptions passages ensures that this situation will occur. What liberty does this child have? What voice have we given her? What happiness does that allow her to pursue knowing that she will have the state looking over her shoulder at every moment?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There were two baby formula bills.  Once passed with overwhelming bipartisan support.  This one did not.  The devil is often in the details on these things. Republicans are claiming this $28 million does nothing to address the shortage.

it's to support the FDA so that they can expedite approvals to alleviate supply chain woes. we have a shortage from our our existing supply chain. we need to vet and approve new suppliers. there's a process to do so. why would anyone be against this? cause it costs $28M? it is because a democrat is in the office and now the republicans pretend to find fiscal responsibility. i can link NUMEROUS examples of absolute bullshit spending during Trumps tenure where the "fiscally" responsible republicans forgot that they were fiscally responsible.

this is just a continuation of the bullshit hypocrisy that their voters seem to be ok with.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why do your beliefs outweigh the beliefs of others such that there should be laws restricting a woman’s choice? 

What are your thoughts on the state of the foster care system in the State of Texas?

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How about this.  How about ALL men, as soon as they have viable swimmers, are given a vasectomy.  It can only be reversed when they and a partner decide to have a child.  

Also, your "belief" isn't in line with the Bible (says life begins at first breath).  Let's see how you like others dictating what you can do with your body.

Yeah but how was the guy writing the Bible 2000 years ago supposed to know about fetal heartbeats and brainwaves?  There's no way he could have known about that and written it into the book!

45 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Someone would win a Nobel prize and become the richest person in the world within a year if they invented contraceptive beer.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Someone would win a Nobel prize and become the richest person in the world within a year if they invented contraceptive beer.

Would give Pabst Blue Ribbon Stripe beer executives a heart attack that's for sure.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Changed it for the positive result....oopsies

50 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

While rare, I can. Girls can be quite young when menses begins. A ten or eleven year old girl should not be forced to give birth at that age for a variety of reasons. If that child is pregnant, ten weeks is going to be far too soon to expect her to even realize that condition is present, again for a variety of reasons. And again, it is not as common as other reasons for seeking to terminate a pregnancy, but the no exceptions passages ensures that this situation will occur. What liberty does this child have? What voice have we given her? What happiness does that allow her to pursue knowing that she will have the state looking over her shoulder at every moment?

Hell, for some adult women who have irregular cycles, they might not know at 10 weeks.  Even still, some women continue to have periods for a month or two, or something that resembles a period.  Every person’s body is different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1