Bryan Colangelo Used Secret Twitter Accounts To Criticize His Own Players

Dutchrudder

Seems threadworthy, and could mess up Philly's offseason plans if they don't change management. Pretty ridiculous for someone in that position to be so petty. The whole article is worth the read, please go to the link!

In February, The Ringer received an anonymous tip that Bryan Colangelo, the Philadelphia 76ers’ president of basketball operations, had been secretly operating five Twitter accounts. Since then, we have scrutinized and archived those accounts in an attempt to verify the source’s claims that the longtime NBA executive has been using them as a platform to:

• Criticize NBA players, including Joel Embiid, Jahlil Okafor, and Nerlens Noel
  • Publicly debate the decisions of his own coaching staff, as well as critique former Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie and Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri
  • Telegraph the 2017 trade in which the Sixers acquired the no. 1 overall pick that would become Markelle Fultz
  • Disclose nonpublic medical information about Okafor and gossip about Embiid and Fultz to members of the national and Philadelphia media

• Cropped_Screen_Shot_2018_05_28_at_9.55.3
  • The five accounts pinpointed by the unnamed source included one that followed media members, Sixers employees, and NBA agents but never tweets (its handle is @phila1234567, and it has no account name), and four that have posted tweets or replied to other users. Of those, one was active between April 2016 and May 2017 (its account name is Eric jr, and its handle is @AlVic40117560), two were active within the past five months (HonestAbe / @Honesta34197118 and Enoughunkownsources / @Enoughunkownso1), and one was posting several times a day (Still Balling / @s_bonhams) and as recently as last week.
  • On Tuesday, May 22, I emailed the Sixers and shared the names of two of the accounts, phila1234567 and Eric jr (I did not disclose our suspicions about the other three accounts, one of which, Still Balling, had been active earlier that day; I did this to see whether the partial disclosure would trigger any changes to the other accounts). On a follow-up call that day, Philadelphia’s media representative told me that he would ask Colangelo whether he had any information about the two accounts.

That afternoon, within hours of the call, all three of the accounts I hadn’t discussed with the team switched from public to private, effectively taking them offline—including one (HonestAbe) that hadn’t been active since December. The Still Balling account, which had been tweeting daily, has not posted since the morning of the 22nd (I had already been following Still Balling with an anonymous account of my own, which allowed me to see activity after it went private). Since I contacted the Sixers, Still Balling has unfollowed 37 accounts with ties to Colangelo, including several of his son’s college basketball teammates, a former coach from his son’s high school, and an account that shares the same name as the agent Warren LeGarie, who has represented Colangelo in the past.

Later that day, the Sixers rep called back. He confirmed that one of the accounts (@Phila1234567) did, in fact, belong to Colangelo. He said that Colangelo denied any knowledge of the Eric jr account. When I asked whether he had discussed my inquiry with anyone else in the organization that afternoon, he said that he had spoken to only one person: Colangelo.

•  

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

Edited by Dutchrudder
a

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How does someone see a random tweet from a random account criticizing players for the sixers and think “hmm I bet that’s Bryan colangelo”.. 

Yeah, that is so weird. If only the article had words or paragraphs dedicated to explaining it...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea I read the article haha. My point was I read Twitter daily and read a shitload of tweets and never think to investigate it. But I also don’t take Twitter very seriously and know a lot take it way more serious. 

When things that only 5 people know keep getting out, those other 4 are going to start looking around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea I read the article haha. My point was I read Twitter daily and read a shitload of tweets and never think to investigate it. But I also don’t take Twitter very seriously and know a lot take it way more serious. 

You sure you read the article? It says an unnamed source tipped them off, so they didn't just figure this out because they were scouring twitter. Are you assuming that unnamed source is a random twitter follower who spent all his time tracking this stuff, because the idea that the unnamed source is someone who knew Colangelo was doing this (and probably has something to gain from Colangelo's fall) makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

4501104.jpg

Who the fuck is this?  Damian?

I'm gonna guess the damage will get too much, simply from the mere accusations, and he's either fired because they could credibly figure it was him or he takes a long sabbatical because everyone thinks it's him and no one (agents, players, coaches, other GMs) wants to work with him.  This is a really tangled web too.... tons of mud on Adam Silver if Colangelo needs to be removed.  I fucking hope it was Hinkie who figured it out and blew the whistle on him.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

It had to have been Hinkie who once again beat him at his own game. The circle of people who could’ve noticed this/figured it out is *small*. The legend of Hinkie only grows larger. 

Meanwhile, Colangelo has got to go. The way I see it right now Philly and Houston seem to be the two most reasonable landing spots for LeBron, but definitely throw Philly’s name out of contention if this fool is retained. This is a gots-to-go situation.

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He's gone even if they can't find the proverbial smoking gun. If for no other reason than to be taken seriously in the LeBron sweepstakes. And they'll need to act quickly.

correct

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Who the fuck is this?  Damian?

I'm gonna guess the damage will get too much, simply from the mere accusations, and he's either fired because they could credibly figure it was him or he takes a long sabbatical because everyone thinks it's him and no one (agents, players, coaches, other GMs) wants to work with him.  This is a really tangled web too.... tons of mud on Adam Silver if Colangelo needs to be removed.  I fucking hope it was Hinkie who figured it out and blew the whistle on him.

9gRSDNo.png

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

He's gone even if they can't find the proverbial smoking gun. If for no other reason than to be taken seriously in the LeBron sweepstakes. And they'll need to act quickly.

5 hours ago, d2o said:

correct

Not only that but here's Embiid's quote on the whole thing: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23648754/philadelphia-76ers-investigating-alleged-social-media-use-team-president-bryan-colangelo

"I talked to him and he said that he didn't say that," Embiid said. "He called me just to deny the story. Gotta believe him until proven otherwise. If true, though, that would be really bad."

Doesn't exactly sound like a guy who's buying Colangelo's story.  Embiid and Simmons > Colangelo.

The Gabrielle Union tweet erases any doubt. The burner accounts follow Philly players and FO people, Raptors FO members, Colangelo’s son, his son’s teammates, they’re all highly critical of Embiid and Hinkie while unrelentingly defensive of Colangelo and his collars, and one of them claims to have been at the Beijing Olympics with Dwyane Wade which is exactly where Bryan Colangelo just so happened to be? Ya done son. And this won’t be one of those cases where the cover up is worse than the scandal; the cover up will simply give people more reasons to pile on your dumb ass.

25 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So Bryan is likely out. I assume as "fired with cause" in which he won't get any more money from the organization. 

What happens to "Special Advisor" Jerry?  They are kind of a packaged deal. 

If this proven or enough credible evidence is about, I'm going to guess Jerry slinks away and resigns eventually.... may wait a few months but his "special advising" was pretty much installing his son as President.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If this proven or enough credible evidence is about, I'm going to guess Jerry slinks away and resigns eventually.... may wait a few months but his "special advising" was pretty much installing his son as President.

Yes!!!

1 minute ago, Planet Houston said:

This is an insane story. I just can’t fathom the kind of thinking that ends up with someone doing what Colangelo did. I suppose that I shouldn’t be surprised at the amount of hubris that some people have, but I continuously am. 

What’s hubris?

3 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

This is an insane story. I just can’t fathom the kind of thinking that ends up with someone doing what Colangelo did. I suppose that I shouldn’t be surprised at the amount of hubris that some people have, but I continuously am. 

I can imagine how nepotism breeds vast insecurities in some people.  Which seems to be the case here.  

4 hours ago, Bartles said:

The scent is now super strong around the wife. Main question now is will he claim she did it without his knowledge? Even if so it's too reckless to allow him to keep his job...

The tweets about shirtless Embiid and BC's dress habits make more sense now.

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

The tweets about shirtless Embiid and BC's dress habits make more sense now.

13 hours ago, Bartles said:

The scent is now super strong around the wife. Main question now is will he claim she did it without his knowledge? Even if so it's too reckless to allow him to keep his job...

If it was her it means he's told her all types of inside info.

21 minutes ago, d2o said:

If it was her it means he's told her all types of inside info.

See, that doesn't bother me. We're not talking national security secrets here. It's basketball. Him telling his wife, "You wouldn't believe it, Okafor didn't even pass his fucking physical today" is not a big deal.

...him allegedly not knowing that she's a psycho bitch is much more concerning.

Bryan admitted to using one account, and said he "wasn't familiar" with who the other accounts are, so he may have overplayed his hand. It will be funny as hell if the Colangelo mob tries to use the wife as a patsy. There is already convincing evidence that he controlled all 5. "It was my wife and I had no idea!" is even less believable.