Texas @ West Virginia Series Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

I will say in regards to Nixon, the fact that we are through his 2nd year and he still only has two pitches is a damning indictment on Pierce and Allen. 

Two pitches are just fine if you have command of both.  But, Nixon seldom has command of either … which can be said of everyone on that staff except for Hansen and Lucas.

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Two pitches are just fine if you have command of both.  But, Nixon seldom has command of either … which can be said of everyone on that staff except for Hansen and Lucas.

Two pitches are not just fine. Can it work if you have elite command? Yes. Does it work once teams have analytical data on how you like to attack with those two pitches? No.

Also the two guys you mentioned both have 3 pitches.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Two pitches are not just fine. Can it work if you have elite command? Yes. Does it work once teams have analytical data on how you like to attack with those two pitches? No.

Also the two guys you mentioned both have 3 pitches.

The subject was command.  Pay attention.

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The subject was command.  Pay attention.

Even if you have great command, two pitches is not a recipe for success. No pitcher at Texas should still only have two pitches at the end of their 2nd year.

14 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Even if you have great command, two pitches is not a recipe for success. No pitcher at Texas should still only have two pitches at the end of their 2nd year.

This is college baseball. Any team in the country would crawl over broken glass to have a pitcher in his second season who has full command of two pitches coming out of the pen. The ‘we are Texas’ doesn’t hold any weight in your argument. Plenty of guys pitch in a major league bullpen right now with only 2 pitches. That’s why they are relievers. If he was transitioning to be a starter or some crap then maybe he needs to add a 3rd pitch but he was freshman all American last year who dominated with two pitches.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

This is college baseball. Any team in the country would crawl over broken glass to have a pitcher who has full command of two pitches coming out of the pen. The ‘we are Texas’ doesn’t hold any weight in your argument. Plenty of guys pitch in a major league bullpen right now with only 2 pitches. That’s why they are relievers. If he was transitioning to be a starter or some crap then maybe he needs to add a 3rd pitch but he was freshman all American last year who dominated with two pitches.

Yeah I’m still not watching cause apparently I’m bad luck for this team but “only” having 2 pitches is fine. Huston really only used 2 pitches. Same with J Brent. And a shit ton of our other bullpen studs from the last 20 years. Most of those dudes are fastball-slider guys with an occasional change 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Still pissed that Harrison turned to 3rd on a fucking good bunt and then was late to 1st. That pretty much lost the game right there. 

While the play should have been to first from the start, through 7 we left 10 on base. 8 in scoring position.

Can't stand there with the bat on our shoulder watching good pitches go by and then swinging at one in the dirt for strike 3. Crappy at bats and some shoddy base running (AGAIN 🤬) cost us this game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

48D33342-9181-43DF-BDF0-9796950957B9.jpeg

Even the peak Augie teams would happily take 2 of 3 on the road at a wildcard place like West Virginia. Just the way college baseball is. Not being able to sweep or “only” taking 2 of 3 at home has been one of our many problems since the Jungmann days 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is college baseball. Any team in the country would crawl over broken glass to have a pitcher in his second season who has full command of two pitches coming out of the pen. The ‘we are Texas’ doesn’t hold any weight in your argument. Plenty of guys pitch in a major league bullpen right now with only 2 pitches. That’s why they are relievers. If he was transitioning to be a starter or some crap then maybe he needs to add a 3rd pitch but he was freshman all American last year who dominated with two pitches.

He dominated because there was no scouting report on him. No reason every pitchers shouldn’t have some variation of a fastball, changeup, breaking ball. 

Most quality relievers at the major league level have 3. They may throw the 3rd less than 10% of the time but they have it, at the very least to put in the back of a hitters mind.

50 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Still pissed that Harrison turned to 3rd on a fucking good bunt and then was late to 1st. That pretty much lost the game right there. 

I pretty much knew we were going to lose as soon as we immediately gave back the 3-0 lead and pulled our “starter”. 

22 minutes ago, chase25 said:

He dominated because there was no scouting report on him. No reason every pitchers shouldn’t have some variation of a fastball, changeup, breaking ball. 

Most quality relievers at the major league level have 3. They may throw the 3rd less than 10% of the time but they have it, at the very least to put in the back of a hitters mind.

I’m guessing there was a scouting report on him by the time the post season rolled around last year and he pitched pretty well in the Austin regional, super and Omaha. Or maybe it’s super easy to sit belt high fastball while his slider can’t find any part of the zone 

Edited by Fletch

45 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Even the peak Augie teams would happily take 2 of 3 on the road at a wildcard place like West Virginia. Just the way college baseball is. Not being able to sweep or “only” taking 2 of 3 at home has been one of our many problems since the Jungmann days 

I meant my stress.

Pay no attention to me when I’m emo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

Look, I am all for criticizing Nixon for what has transpired this year, but chalking up his success last year to teams not having a “scouting report” on him is just wrong.

This is 2022. Every Texas game home and away is televised. The moment he threw his first pitch last year teams had data and film on him. He made 27 appearances. He was not an unknown by the end of the season and that was when he was at his best.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Look, I am all for criticizing Nixon for what has transpired this year, but chalking up his success last year to teams not having a “scouting report” on him is just wrong.

This is 2022. Every Texas game home and away is televised. The moment he threw his first pitch last year teams had data and film on him. He made 27 appearances. He was not an unknown by the end of the season and that was when he was at his best.

Nixon is and has been completely lost all year.  You can smell it on him.  

It’s got nothing to do with scouting and everything to do with being self mind-fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1