Bands You Used to Love but Now Can't Stand

Seasick Sailor

We all have a couple. Whether the band's style changed or our taste did, there are certain bands that we used to love but just can't listen to anymore.

For me, the first two that come to mind are U2 and The Doors. Loved both as a teen. As for U2, I loved them during their Unforgettable Fire through Achtung Baby run but lost all interest beginning with Zooropa. The Doors? Well, I think I just completely overdid it. At this point, I can still listen to certain tracks on The Soft Parade, but I find everything else unlistenable.

What are some of the bands you used to love but can't listen to anymore?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We all have a couple. Whether the band's style changed or our taste did, there are certain bands that we used to love but just can't listen to anymore.

For me, the first two that come to mind are U2 and The Doors. Loved both as a teen. As for U2, I loved them during their Unforgettable Fire through Achtung Baby run but lost all interest beginning with Zooropa. The Doors? Well, I think I just completely overdid it. At this point, I can still listen to certain tracks on The Soft Parade, but I find everything else unlistenable.

What are some of the bands you used to love but can't listen to anymore?

I just don't think outside of Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman that The Doors hold up well, compared to their peers.

A lot of The Doors mystique faded for me the first time I did mushrooms and realized that Jim Morrison's lyrics were basically putting onto paper the shit that goes through your head while tripping.  Didn't seem to have much substance behind it.

The Doors for me as well. I can still appreciate some of their songs but I rarely listen to them. I probably listened to them way too much in college in the early 90s when the movie came out.

Also Dave Matthews Band.

Another is REM, although I wouldn't say I can't stand them, I'm just kind of indifferent to them now. I went from being a huge fan in the late 80s through the early/mid 90s to almost never listening to them anymore, even though I still own a lot of their music and still appreciate their importance as a band.

Edited by Art Vandelay

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Anything with extended guitar solos.  I don't have time or patience for them.  Used to love Motorhead but just can't anymore.  Agree on the Doors. 

I will agree on long guitar solos. Used to love them growing up. And listening to long ass songs. Now days, I don't have the patience to listen to them.

11 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Weezer

I agree in terms of their post 2002 out put.

The first 2 albums are still excellent, and the next 2 hold up alright, and then it was pretty much off the fucking cliff.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

59 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ironically, that article was written at the height of my interest in Dave Matthews Band.

Also it references BTCS, which is just about their best studio album.

I've seen DMB 18 times, and I have no interest in hearing them anymore this year.  I just dropped a G on tickets and hotels and and a weekend going to their Houston and Dallas shows.  Still, I'll probably do it again next year.

You either hate them or love them.  Funny the way it is if you think about it.

Edited by BearSchlong

Great thread.  

Got to agree on most of these.  I read the Morrison biography when I was about 15, which portrays Morrison as unmitigated genius.  Briefly, I believed he was unmitigated genius.  Now I find his music completely insufferable.  

U2 just makes me sad.  I don't think the fans (e.g. me and Seasick Sailor) who loved the first 6 or 7 albums were wrong.  Those were great records.  

Then Bono started wearing those wrap-around shades like a dickhead, and they did Zooropa and the PopMart tours.  Their sound totally changed too.  Used to be songs that had a lot of space -- simple bass lines pedaling 8th notes, strat-through-vox with heavy delay and reverb.  Texture and open space.  Worked perfectly on "War" and "Joshua Tree."  I suppose that a pedaled bass and a strat with dotted-8th delays -- that's a pretty small and confining formula to make music.  I guess they had to evolve.  But what they evolved to are these albums with nine layers of dirty guitars with all the subtlety of a chainsaw.  The songs have no arrangements, no memorable melodies, and no memorable musical parts.  U2 since the early 90's occupies pretty much the same sonic space as Nickelback.

Aerosmith seems like they're not even trying.  Been mailing it in for 30 years.  From "Dream On" to Diane Warren ballads.  You can't fall much further than that.

I was never a huge Weezer fan.  But I was a big fan of Nerf Herder, and they were Weezer fans.  If you find this song entertaining, check out "Portland" or "The Girl Who Listened to Rush" from the same album.  

• Like 2

I can’t really think of any that I once loved but now can’t stand. Definitely a bunch I don’t hate, but don’t listen to much anymore...mostly due to overplaying then as a teenager. Led Zeppelin is like that for me. Had al their albums by the time I was 14. I still like them but I never seek them out.

I'm with Swayze on this one.....none of the bands I love(d) I would ever put in the can't stand category.....if you can't stand them now, did you ever really love them?

However, I do think that almost all excellence in any field, whether in entertainment, sports, or business has a shelf life. I would say there is a 10-20 year window where someone can be at the top of their game before it gets too hard to sustain and new shit comes to light man.....

Since U2 has been commonly mentioned in this thread, they stand out as a perfect example. Their run from War to Achtung Baby is as good a four album run as just about anyone. Pop was the first misstep from which they rebounded with two solid, if not relatively strong efforts. The last 3 albums have been well, meh. Good song here or there, but not a consistent level of quality that you've seen in the past. Guess that's what happens when you go from working with guys like Brian Eno to working with the Ryan Tedders of the world. But from the early 80's to early 2000's, no denying they were one of, if not the greatest band operating in the world. But that shit is hard to maintain for a long period of time and you can insert just about any great long-running artist (Stones, Springsteen, et. al.) into that spectrum and ask "when was the last great album they recorded". Chances are, it hasn't been in the last 5 or 10 years. Even if there is one, it was probably preceded or followed by a lot of "meh". 

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I can’t really think of any that I once loved but now can’t stand. Definitely a bunch I don’t hate, but don’t listen to much anymore...mostly due to overplaying then as a teenager. Led Zeppelin is like that for me. Had al their albums by the time I was 14. I still like them but I never seek them out.

A few weeks ago I listened to Led Zeppelin for at least an hour.  I imagined the lead singer as a skinny heroin addict living on a mattress in a garage apartment, trying to talk some teenager out of her McDonald's check. It seemed accurate.

16 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Bon Jovi.  Should've stayed in the 80's.

I never liked them in the 80s, but [csb] about ten years ago I got a taxi ride in Mexico, driver had a mullet, and was playing "Wanted Dead or Alive" on the radio, told me it was his favorite song. I was all "Hell yeah, turn it up, let's sing it!" and you know how you sit next to the driver in Mexico, we had the windows down, flying down the boulevard no damn seat belts, mullet blowing in the hot wind, belting "WAAANTED (wanted) DEAD OR ALIVE"[/csb]

[air guitar that high-pitched dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee part]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the category of unpopular opinions, I can't listen to the Beatles, any longer.  I think the production work makes them sound really dated. "Oh, you have to hear the mono versions!" No, I don't. I'm a grownup, now and no longer listen to my music through the crappy little speaker on my record player.  

For those of you mentioned Led Zep I will pray for your souls.

I will submit Coldplay. Not ashamed to admit I loved their first few albums. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are fucking great albums.

Now I literally don’t knew what they have done since X & Y...

• Like 1

Aerosmith is the only big one that fits the category for me.  I don't hate Pearl Jam or Springsteen now but there was a time when as soon as I heard that they had released something new I would do a beeline to a Musicland or Sam Goody's and grab it.  Obviously from those references that time was decades ago.  Now I really don't care if or when they put out a new album.  I still like the stuff from what I consider their prime (Pearl Jam's first three albums, anything between 1975 and 1985 for Springsteen)  but they are kind of like watching boxers stepping back into the ring after retiring for five years now.

9 hours ago, Mileslong said:

For those of you mentioned Led Zep I will pray for your souls.

I will submit Coldplay. Not ashamed to admit I loved their first few albums. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are fucking great albums.

Now I literally don’t knew what they have done since X & Y...

All of this.

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

RHCP have been garbage for a long time. Probably 20 years or so.

Need moar her-ONN.  Sobriety can be tough on bands.  I still enjoy the odd burst of Flea/Chad virtuosity, though (e.g. Rain Dance Maggie).

I generally agree with Wesley's take on U2.  A band I really liked and then really became indifferent/hostile toward.  Seems a similar arc with REM.

• Like 1

Most of the bands I no longer like actually went through a significant change away from their original sound.  A bunch of FM radio stalwarts suffered mightily when one personality, who often wasn't even an original member of the group, gained a foothold and took over, like Chicago (Peter Cetera), Styx (Dennis DeYoung), REO Speedwagon (Kevin Cronin), and Journey (Steve Perry), although it can be argued that Jonathan Cain had as much to do with Journey's plummet as Perry.

Is it coincidence that Chicago, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Jonathan Cain are all from Illinois?  I don't think so.

Other bands like Heart and Aerosmith just got worse over time.  Much worse.

Old ass bands

U2, typical blow off top with Joshua Tree, oversaturated everywhere. Still a few more good tunes but when you're giving your album away as a gimmick with the biggest tech company in the world you are not fighting the good fight any more.

RHCP Sorry but you need Frusciante to ever have a chance of anythng again.

Slightly newer

Coldplay - Those first couple of albums were legit. Many great songs. The last couple, good luck finding even a single song.

The Strokes - First album I can listen to any track and be happy. Since then forget it.

MGMT - They had that one album that was just chock full of great tracks. Hey guys we just made it huge, everyone loves us, lets completely change our style to something even our hardcore fans will struggle with. That will be a great way to get rid of the normies.

Kanye - As soon as I hear the critics slobbering all over one of his albums I know it's gonna be garbage with no hits.

Edited by Robin Masters
  • Like 1

Alice Cooper. While Jagger and Elvis were wearing jumpsuits, Alice was wearing a ripped up union suit and platform boots. School's Out was their last great album. I think it was the drinking. Billiion Dollar Babies featured Elected and Hello, Hooray! Followed by Muscle of Love most notable for the cardboard album packaging, and The Man with the Golden Gun (a James Bond reject) and an inner sleeve with the band dressed as sailors and on the reverse getting beat up by a female gorilla. Cornball wasn't going over by then; National Lampoon had been on the magazine stands for years.

Hh3QCNBC_o.jpg 

Alice had a schtick in Wayne's World on the history of Milwaukee. For more than fifteen years afterwards, every time Milwaukee came up in conversation, he pronounced it in Algonquin. Until someone finally took him aside and explained it wasn't funny anymore. It's like that childhood friend you lose track of. The one who never grew up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Most of the bands I no longer like actually went through a significant change away from their original sound.  A bunch of FM radio stalwarts suffered mightily when one personality, who often wasn't even an original member of the group, gained a foothold and took over, like Chicago (Peter Cetera), Styx (Dennis DeYoung), REO Speedwagon (Kevin Cronin), and Journey (Steve Perry), although it can be argued that Jonathan Cain had as much to do with Journey's plummet as Perry.

Is it coincidence that Chicago, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Jonathan Cain are all from Illinois?  I don't think so.

That doesn't explain Cheap Trick.  

Thinking about the kick ass rock and roll pre-The Flame band and the non-stop mediocre Elvis and Beatles cover band post-The Flame band actually it does.

I left out one of the "dude took over and everything went to shit" bands:  The Doobie Brothers.  And Michael McDonald was born in St. Louis, which isn't Illinois . . . but, common river.  (No I'm not seriously implying all Illinois bands are doomed, although Smashing Pumpkins faded pretty hard . . . as did Liz Phair . . . ).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

That doesn't explain Cheap Trick.

Thinking about the kick ass rock and roll pre-The Flame band and the non-stop mediocre Elvis and Beatles cover band post-The Flame band actually it does.

Bang Zoom Crazy Hello was a legit album. Return to form.

For bands I haven't yet seen on this thread... Green Day. I liked their stuff a lot in HS through shortly out of college. I can't even listen to a lot that anymore because I dislike them so much now. 

I would have said Weezer before they put out Everything Will Be Alright in the End.

Disagree on U2 Def Leppard and DMB. Loved them back then love them now. Dont really care for their new shit as much but I still listen to their old stuff all the time. All time great bands. 

Def Leppard with Pyromania and Hysteria. Every song on Hysteria could be a top 100 hit. U2 with the albums mentioned above.

Im sorry but this recording is nuts. 

Dave Matthews Under the table and Before these crowded streets were just awesome. Can listen to them for hours.

This thread is for bands like Poison and Nirvana

• Like 3